Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Are you talking about a Kitchen Aid mixer? Because those things cost about 400 bucks. Your mom sounds crazy good at deals.

She’s an eagle eye at fb marketplace. And yea it was a kitchen aid. She is very excited about it. Her and my sister are always on it and lookin for deals. She’s trying to find me a new rug right now. Says she missed a deal by an hour for a real nice $35 rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

The numbers I've seen bandied about for Ebay is that they'll send you a 1099 if you make over 200 transactions and over 20k in sales dollars in a year. The reason there's so much squawking is that now EVERYONE wanting to sell on Ebay has to provide the tax info to do so, not just big time sellers and business accounts and the hard deadline for signup just passed.

Oh I haven't come anywhere near that. In the last year I think I've made two or three ebay sales.

dorium posted:

She’s an eagle eye at fb marketplace. And yea it was a kitchen aid. She is very excited about it. Her and my sister are always on it and lookin for deals. She’s trying to find me a new rug right now. Says she missed a deal by an hour for a real nice $35 rug.

At least someone is beating the system. There's a town just next to Boston where all the college kids live and the day after they move out of the apartments over there is called "Hobo Christmas" because all these lazy rich kids dump poo poo on the sidewalk they don't feel like hauling back to where ever they came from or are going next. So people will just drive around those neighborhoods with trucks and snag poo poo.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

screaden posted:

where is that video of the physical VNYL store that was like, 2 crates on a little table in a giant room?

haha I was looking for the VNYL scam videos when I made my little quip up there. Can't seem to find the good ones like the one you mentioned where the guy making fun of their poo poo. There was a bunch of early unboxings where it was just crappy thriftstore records.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still firm in the belief that LP60 is also perfectly fine for listening to records

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

I'm still firm in the belief that LP60 is also perfectly fine for listening to records

:yeah:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sporklift posted:

It is true that many of these records are in less than ideal condition. Most of my 90's - 2000's finds were beat up copies in the cheap bins. poo poo plays fine with some pops and crackle but they were priced accordingly. Its when you go to a vintage store and see an absolutely shredded version of a Beatles record for $50.

I mean look at this NEW record lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254643475956?mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps

The most that should be charged for that record is $10 and only if the actual vinyl was in great shape.

Free shipping, tho

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone knows those Capitol stereo pressings are the most sought after Beatles records!

It's not even a real album it's one of the comps compiled from a mix of songs from two or three different LPs.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

screaden posted:

where is that video of the physical VNYL store that was like, 2 crates on a little table in a giant room?

Took some digging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4&t=15s

Article about the whole fiasco
https://www.stereogum.com/1801049/vnyl-sliding-why-the-netflix-for-vinyl-service-is-such-a-mess/columns/sounding-board/

#danceparty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnouXJ2rl4

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

edit: Double post sorry

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WOOOOOOOOOF

That all physically hurt to watch.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I never saw that second video. What a loving joke. You know what's worse? THIS loving THING IS STILL AROUND! People are still paying top dollar to have these dickheads mail you beat up Engelbert Humperdinck records. This is the response to asking how to return a record on their FAQ:

quote:

Every album you receive from VNYL is yours to keep. No sending back. Just you and your sweet, sweet vinyl forever and ever.

This is the poo poo I'm talking about. People paying for this garbage. How stupid do you have to be? I can't even begin to comprehend how this has been around for six years. It's a very obvious scam.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

For everyone one person who stumbles upon those vnyl review videos there’s some 13 year old kid signing up with moms CC (or god forbid another 5 adults who just go “I want to listen to vinyl but have zero impetus to look into the best way to do that, Instagram ad tel me what to do”.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

For everyone one person who stumbles upon those vnyl review videos there’s some 13 year old kid signing up with moms CC (or god forbid another 5 adults who just go “I want to listen to vinyl but have zero impetus to look into the best way to do that, Instagram ad tel me what to do”.

Yeah but how do you make that a successful long term business? Surely people would only fall for this once or twice, see what's up, and then unsubscribe. This is a perfect example of the "More money than sense." thing I was talking about. I can't wrap my mind around it. At least Vinyl Me Please sends you something that isn't actual garbage which you deliberately picked.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I never saw that second video. What a loving joke. You know what's worse? THIS loving THING IS STILL AROUND! People are still paying top dollar to have these dickheads mail you beat up Engelbert Humperdinck records. This is the response to asking how to return a record on their FAQ:

This is the poo poo I'm talking about. People paying for this garbage. How stupid do you have to be? I can't even begin to comprehend how this has been around for six years. It's a very obvious scam.

I think they actually send new records now in the VMP style...I dunno though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Even Vinyl Me Please got annoying, and their quality control got horrendously bad at the end of 2019. They still have some cool exclusives and if I ever decide to sell some of them I can make a pretty penny, but I ultimately realized it was more fun to take the money and go flipping through bins and buy stuff I really wanted than hope they’d have something interesting that month.

E: it’s also not surprising that records got a boom form the pandemic since they were on the rise to begin with, but it’s amazing to see how so many collectibles and different types went up in value. Sports cards went insane with people treating it even more like an investment, Pokémon rode a wave of nostalgia to go nuts on early cards in top condition, and retro video games got even more crazy with people going hard on PS2 and GameCube. Funko pops went way up.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 11, 2021

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

sporklift posted:

I think they actually send new records now in the VMP style...I dunno though.

They quit sending used records a while back, but otherwise stuck with their "bargain bin garbage for $40/month" business model.

Even as hosed up as VMP has been, it feels cruel to suggest VNYL is operating "in the VMP style." :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Even Vinyl Me Please got annoying, and their quality control got horrendously bad at the end of 2019. They still have some cool exclusives and if I ever decide to sell some of them I can make a pretty penny, but I ultimately realized it was more fun to take the money and go flipping through bins and buy stuff I really wanted than hope they’d have something interesting that month.

Oh I wasn't praising them at all. I remember not too long ago when a lot of people here were talking about their bad experiences with VMP and how the company was a disaster.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CPL593H posted:

Oh I wasn't praising them at all. I remember not too long ago when a lot of people here were talking about their bad experiences with VMP and how the company was a disaster.

Yeah that’s totally fair. I’ll at least give them credit for trying to put out quality and having some big names to go along with it (still crazy how they have the only pressing for Fiona Apple’s Tidal). They have a bit more sustainability since you have at least some level of control of what you get, but I’m glad the overall trend of subscription services by mail has died.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
So it turns out Tower Records sent me the wrong records. They were supposed to be yellow and red, instead of red and white. I totally forgot about the colors and I was just happy to have the records to begin with.

I just got a email confirming that they are shipping out the right ones.

So now I’m going to have four of the same record provided they all arrive safely.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
lol I had no idea VNYL made you send the records you didn't want back, honestly thought it was just "we'll send you 3 thrift store records + the occasional reissue WHEN WE THINK YOU DESERVE IT"

I already have a similar service, it's called getting drunk and ordering random poo poo on discogs at 1 AM. Who knows what's going to show up!! I recently got a copy of Virgins and Philistines by The Colourfield that I don't remember ordering! I haven't heard this album in a decade! apparently it was only 6 bucks !??

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Found a whole bunch of really great stuff recently.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

Found a whole bunch of really great stuff recently.

Dang. Just looked that guy up expecting some space disco but I guess he was "Maybe Elvis" after Elvis died. Weird story.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

sporklift posted:

Dang. Just looked that guy up expecting some space disco but I guess he was "Maybe Elvis" after Elvis died. Weird story.

quote:

He tore off his mask at a performance in 1983, saying that he would not wear it again. However, after failing to retain his popularity using his real name, he returned to performing as Orion in 1987.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Lol he self banned and came back when his off site failed

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Yeah, I think then he got murdered so we'll never know now. But he was a pretty good Elvis and here is one I really love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA7aE6qEGPM

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BTW, if you examine the lettering here closely you can see that it was all drawn and painted with watercolors and other stuff.

Here's a semi-random page:

Okay, not a totally random page but it's almost the only one in color. The "Mork" as in Mork & Mindy, with the Robin Williams outfit there, sorta.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 12, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's something I found in with the records that I just grabbed on impulse. This, today, is how I learn that the Tripods books were made into a PBS miniseries and I never even knew. Anyway it's a double set of laserdiscs.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 12, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My understanding is Bob Zimmerman named himself after this guy:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And I guess this is a rendition of Carmen by the the original cast of Hair? At any rate, it has several pages of art on the inside as well as this elaborate cover art:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Athanatos posted:

sporklift posted:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He tore off his mask at a performance in 1983, saying that he would not wear it again. However, after failing to retain his popularity using his real name, he returned to performing as Orion in 1987.

IIRC he was also a convenience store owner and was killed in an armed robbery at his store or something like that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I retract my rear end in a top hat statement

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Trevor Hale posted:

I retract my rear end in a top hat

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK my first batch of discogs orders starting to come in and it's supremely evident I need to figure out a way to clean my vinyl.

Youtube suggests there's a million ways to do this, but are they all equally meritorious or is there a Thread Sanctioned™ approach? I think mostly I'm dealing with dust so I probably need to start with a brush of some sort but I'm also not sure where to start with that since there appears to be a ton of variety.

Unless it's recommended or I'm way overthinking the complexity, I think I'd like to steer clear of liquid cleaning right now -- just looking at the records they're mostly just dusty.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It’s liquid, but the SpinClean for $80 is an excellent investment. Does a really nice job with dust and debris.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be perfectly clear, I'm not opposed to liquid cleaning I'm just not experienced enough to know if it's overkill for most cleaning jobs or not. I'll definitely take a look :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Martytoof posted:

OK my first batch of discogs orders starting to come in and it's supremely evident I need to figure out a way to clean my vinyl.

Youtube suggests there's a million ways to do this, but are they all equally meritorious or is there a Thread Sanctioned™ approach? I think mostly I'm dealing with dust so I probably need to start with a brush of some sort but I'm also not sure where to start with that since there appears to be a ton of variety.

Unless it's recommended or I'm way overthinking the complexity, I think I'd like to steer clear of liquid cleaning right now -- just looking at the records they're mostly just dusty.

If they’re not like crazy collectible records a little dish soap and water and a soft sponge works. If you have really hard water maybe not, or if you would really throw up if the labels get a little wet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a Spin Clean and it's great when you're doing a batch of records, but if I'm only cleaning 1-2 a sponge + dish soap is quick and easy. I use distilled water since our tap is super hard here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok if it's just that easy then I'll make do with a sponge and dish soap. Definitely hard water here though so I'll buy a jug of the good stuff.