Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mr Phillby posted:

In a heartwarming twist its revealed in the replies that the twitter pervert was refering to her muscle mass and they're actually super into beefy gals.

i've been told that's what the kids refer to as a "thicc" (sic) gal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

The whole thing honestly reminds of Pokemon or Paper Mario. A bunch of people screaming how Gamefreak/Nintendo RUINED MUH CHILDHOOD and THEY LIED.

The overlap between those two groups of people is a circle, I assure you.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean griping about Pokemon sometimes has valid things to gripe about, Paper Mario though I just can't get.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Sticker Star was a godawful game, Color Splash was hilarious to watch but a chore to play, and Origami King was a legit good game that had the misfortune of being similar to an unpopular genre shift. That said, there hasn't been a Paper Mario like the old ones in 16 years, and I just don't think that'll be changing anytime soon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr Phillby posted:

In a heartwarming twist its revealed in the replies that the twitter pervert was refering to her muscle mass and they're actually super into beefy gals.

There are better beefy gals out there, with better opinions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yardbomb posted:

I mean griping about Pokemon sometimes has valid things to gripe about, Paper Mario though I just can't get.

If anything I feel the opposite: there are legitimate gripes to be had on how Nintendo has stepped down from on high to arbitrarily limit what can and cannot be in Paper Mario for seemingly no other reason than protecting their sterile interpretation of the IP, meanwhile Pokemon has always been a semi-yearly series of relatively simple games primarily aimed at 8-12 year olds, and expecting Gamefreak to continuously port over every little new mechanic and pokemon or pump out a technical marvel despite their obviously strict deadlines is absurd.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one of the reasons i like SA is when i go to Games or book barn, its mostly a chill place and people don't get super loving mad about nerd poo poo. like yeah disecting and talking politics in nerd poo poo(in all the ways) can be fun and interesting but on SA, its chill, every other place i have looked at, doesnt seem that way. its either full of weird chud types who get mad about women/minorities or its some weird twitter/resetera/facebook nerd group struggle session purity poo poo where everyone argues of minutia of political theory instead of talking about politcs in _____ nerd property or even the nerd property in general. this isnt some sorkin scream for decorum or call outs. i mean this place is cool and good and a nice spot away from loud bullshit about space movies. also lol gently caress gina.

https://twitter.com/levine/status/1360027731250061319

also here. scream at this guy. an man i once thought was pretty cool and have signed copy of bioshock from him. too bad about dumb opinions.

It really astounds me that SA is pretty much like this, considering how it started out.

Also, Levin really sucks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Bee posted:

Sticker Star was a godawful game, Color Splash was hilarious to watch but a chore to play, and Origami King was a legit good game that had the misfortune of being similar to an unpopular genre shift. That said, there hasn't been a Paper Mario like the old ones in 16 years, and I just don't think that'll be changing anytime soon.

Eventually they're going to try and make something so different so hard they'll accidentally just bumble they're way into making a regular paper mario again.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Samovar posted:

It really astounds me that SA is pretty much like this, considering how it started out.

Also, Levin really sucks.

Times change.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The closest I've seen to a "good" reason out of them for why Paper Mario can't have good gameplay is that Nintendo think it would be redundant with their other Mario RPG series, but that's dead now since AlphaDream went under. The lack of original characters is Miyamoto's outright hostility to actual storytelling in games.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Nuebot posted:

Eventually they're going to try and make something so different so hard they'll accidentally just bumble they're way into making a regular paper mario again.

"Regular Paper Mario"?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

"Regular Paper Mario"?

:shepface: You know, those two completely identical and standardized games in a six game series. The normal ones.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's the Star Wars game problem, and yes I'm sorry I'm being that guy who links things back to Star Wars. Pre-Disney LucasArts was willing to farm the IP out to any studio with a halfbaked idea, and while it resulted in some clunkers it also resulted in some of the most beloved entries in Star Wars including KOTOR, Republic Commando, Battlefront, Tie Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Jedi Outcast, and others. One could reasonably argue that the continued popularity of Star Wars among kids born in the mid-80's to mid-90's had less to do with the Prequels and way more to do with the huge swath of games coming out that gained wide appeal. But as soon as Disney gave EA an exclusive contract to Star Wars games we got only a handful of highly polished AAA titles from one publisher that nobody really liked, outside of their Dark Souls clone (which was apparently buggy as hell? I fully admit I never played it and so won't pass judgement).

Similarly what made Paper Mario interesting was that it was a third (second?) party dev's take on the IP, with unique mechanics, characters, world building, and narrative. There really isn't another Mario game like PM64, and there's certainly not another one like TtYD. Nintendo then swooping in to drop the hammer and say no deviating from our formula is bad, stop doing that really sucks. As another poster pointed out Origami King is actually pretty good, but it's also heavily restricted in what it was allowed to do and imo it's understandable that fans who liked Paper Mario for being the black sheep of the IP are disappointed that its' just become yet another sterile mainline Mario product. If anything it's kind of unfortunate that Origami King is a Paper Mario game at all, because it gets way more hate than it deserves because it doesn't deviate as much from the core IP as the most beloved Paper Mario games do.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sydin posted:

outside of their Dark Souls clone (which was apparently buggy as hell? I fully admit I never played it and so won't pass judgement).

Fallen Order was alright. A little barebones as far as Soulslike games go, but competently put-together and definitely way better than most people were expecting from an EA Star Wars game. I didn't encounter any bugs, but I didn't play it right away so maybe it'd been patched by the time I got to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

Fallen Order was alright. A little barebones as far as Soulslike games go, but competently put-together and definitely way better than most people were expecting from an EA Star Wars game. I didn't encounter any bugs, but I didn't play it right away so maybe it'd been patched by the time I got to it.

If you've played literally other Souls or Soulslike game it really feels like they only had one described to them second-hand and didn't actually play any themselves when developing Fallen Order. It's fundamentally built well, it's just not built... right, if that makes sense? All the pieces are technically there, but they didn't pick up the lessons learned in other similar games to make it actually play well (eg; actually being able to dodge without your opponent pivoting on a dime mid-charge).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I'm pretty excited to see how they handle future Paper Mario game's gameplay.

Is there going to be a Touhou one? A puyo puyo Tetris game? Maybe a srpg like Fire Emblem? I'd love for one to come out like that plays FFTactics.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dabir posted:

The closest I've seen to a "good" reason out of them for why Paper Mario can't have good gameplay is that Nintendo think it would be redundant with their other Mario RPG series, but that's dead now since AlphaDream went under. The lack of original characters is Miyamoto's outright hostility to actual storytelling in games.

Miyamoto's done some incredible things in his career, but I'm definitely ready to see what a post-Miyamoto Nintendo looks like

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Personally, I'm pretty excited to see how they handle future Paper Mario game's gameplay.

Is there going to be a Touhou one? A puyo puyo Tetris game? Maybe a srpg like Fire Emblem? I'd love for one to come out like that plays FFTactics.

Honestly after that rabbids game, a full on mario series crossover that plays like x-com would be pretty fantastic.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

RareAcumen posted:

I'm here for Mario Tetris, honestly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tetris Attacks already exists.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sydin posted:

But as soon as Disney gave EA an exclusive contract to Star Wars games we got only a handful of highly polished AAA titles from one publisher that nobody really liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiwRIkRTvms

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Nuebot posted:

Tetris Attacks already exists.

I said Mario Tetris, not Yoshi Panel De Pon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

If anything I feel the opposite: there are legitimate gripes to be had on how Nintendo has stepped down from on high to arbitrarily limit what can and cannot be in Paper Mario for seemingly no other reason than protecting their sterile interpretation of the IP, meanwhile Pokemon has always been a semi-yearly series of relatively simple games primarily aimed at 8-12 year olds, and expecting Gamefreak to continuously port over every little new mechanic and pokemon or pump out a technical marvel despite their obviously strict deadlines is absurd.

People have been asking for "Let my pokemon follow meeee again!" for a long while but all the other dozens of one-off mechanics seem a bit more muted as far as whether or not the fanbase wants them. And like, it was really fun in Heart Gold/Soul Silver to have a Quagsire waddle along behind me, but it was also pretty wild how much they had to account for when making those overworld pokemon. They'd account for some gender differences, shiny color variation, and other visible stuff so they'd need to sometimes have 2 or 3 of the same models for different pokemon, and even back then there were like 500 pokemon. And I'm sure this is mostly a byproduct of their tight development schedule but the games always seem rather poorly optimized anyway. Like maybe they could do something similar for all 898 now, but it definitely would eat up a lot of their time and space making Beloved Pokemon Qwilfish float behind you on your journey.

Cutting out part of the pokedex I'm mixed on, because obviously they'd add more back in with DLC, but it does kind of suck to have to pay to access some pokemon like that. And even after that there's still like around 300ish that aren't available. Maybe it is partially out of the short turnaround time, too, and not having the time to port every pokemon model to the Switch games, but I don't know I'm not optimistic about having free access to every pokemon ever at once again. And part of that is that they're incentivized to cut them out and sell them back to you later, which does kind of stink.

Sydin posted:

outside of their Dark Souls clone (which was apparently buggy as hell? I fully admit I never played it and so won't pass judgement).

It's a Sekiro clone, not Dark Souls. It plays fine if you like Sekiro combat and is pretty good overall, though the Force powers can weird out the physics engine sometimes.

Nuebot posted:

Bug Fables seems pretty good as far as an inheritor of the "classic" Paper Mario mechanics goes, so I can't really complain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

Cutting out part of the pokedex I'm mixed on, because obviously they'd add more back in with DLC, but it does kind of suck to have to pay to access some pokemon like that. And even after that there's still like around 300ish that aren't available. Maybe it is partially out of the short turnaround time, too, and not having the time to port every pokemon model to the Switch games, but I don't know I'm not optimistic about having free access to every pokemon ever at once again. And part of that is that they're incentivized to cut them out and sell them back to you later, which does kind of stink.

The big hump was getting into full 3D game development with SW/SH coming from the "2.5D" games. Basic core gameplay comes first, then comes the fancy nice-to-haves like your pokemon following you. What's important is once those are done, they're theoretically done forever and should roll into the next game from the get-go. Getting pokemon in isn't about "cutting them out", it should realistically look like a checklist of the 3D model, moveset review, and animations (of which there's gonna be, what, 4-5 maybe for anything that isn't a starter or Legendary?). And again once it's in, it's theoretically in forever.

It doesn't even matter if you aren't able to catch all 900-odd Pokemon in a game now, because that's what Pokemon Home is for.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It also doesn't help that a lot of the full 3d games have been produced in a 1 year turn around time, whereas most of the more polished games had 2 years of development.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paper Mario definitely has it worse these days in comparison since at least Pokemon gets several games each generation so there's a chance they will right the ship if things go awry. For the most part Paper Mario gets one shot per console generation and that's that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big hump was getting into full 3D game development with SW/SH coming from the "2.5D" games. Basic core gameplay comes first, then comes the fancy nice-to-haves like your pokemon following you. What's important is once those are done, they're theoretically done forever and should roll into the next game from the get-go. Getting pokemon in isn't about "cutting them out", it should realistically look like a checklist of the 3D model, moveset review, and animations (of which there's gonna be, what, 4-5 maybe for anything that isn't a starter or Legendary?). And again once it's in, it's theoretically in forever.

It doesn't even matter if you aren't able to catch all 900-odd Pokemon in a game now, because that's what Pokemon Home is for.

Right, but I'm not optimistic that even after all the remaining pokemon have been re-introduced that we'll get them all in one game again for free, when Nintendo/Game Freak have all the reasons in the world to save some batches to sell to you later as paid DLC. And storing all the pokmeon in a separate e-storage app thing is fine and all, but the point is people want them in the game to take along on the story because they have emotional attachment to their digital dragon. It's a game series and franchise that wants you to pick a favorite thing and get invested in it, after all.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean it doesn't help that gamefreak are intensely terrible coders, it's a miracle their games run at all

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sydin posted:

It's the Star Wars game problem, and yes I'm sorry I'm being that guy who links things back to Star Wars. Pre-Disney LucasArts was willing to farm the IP out to any studio with a halfbaked idea, and while it resulted in some clunkers it also resulted in some of the most beloved entries in Star Wars including KOTOR, Republic Commando, Battlefront, Tie Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Jedi Outcast, and others. One could reasonably argue that the continued popularity of Star Wars among kids born in the mid-80's to mid-90's had less to do with the Prequels and way more to do with the huge swath of games coming out that gained wide appeal. But as soon as Disney gave EA an exclusive contract to Star Wars games we got only a handful of highly polished AAA titles from one publisher that nobody really liked, outside of their Dark Souls clone (which was apparently buggy as hell? I fully admit I never played it and so won't pass judgement).

Similarly what made Paper Mario interesting was that it was a third (second?) party dev's take on the IP, with unique mechanics, characters, world building, and narrative. There really isn't another Mario game like PM64, and there's certainly not another one like TtYD. Nintendo then swooping in to drop the hammer and say no deviating from our formula is bad, stop doing that really sucks. As another poster pointed out Origami King is actually pretty good, but it's also heavily restricted in what it was allowed to do and imo it's understandable that fans who liked Paper Mario for being the black sheep of the IP are disappointed that its' just become yet another sterile mainline Mario product. If anything it's kind of unfortunate that Origami King is a Paper Mario game at all, because it gets way more hate than it deserves because it doesn't deviate as much from the core IP as the most beloved Paper Mario games do.

I think the most unfortunate example of this was Paper Jam. This was right around the Sticker Star mandates and overall standardization of the franchise, and instead of tapping into the rich histories of both franchises, they basically crossed over New Super Mario Bros and Sticker Star. And I legit like a lot of the writing that Paper Jam brings to the table and think it (and new Paper Mario in general) gets too bad a rap. But it just doesn't feel like a crossover outside of "there's a Mario made of paper," and its hard not to imagine what it'd be like if it was a full-on franchise celebration.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Battlefront 2 is a pretty polished game these days, at least multiplayer wise. I play a lot with some of my normie friends and so far we haven't really encountered anything. It suffered from the regular developer mentality of "Get poo poo out the door asap, fix afterwards" on release, as most games do these days.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Means TV has released Preserving Worlds as public/free content. It's a fascinating deep dive into niche online communities and the preservation of their written and oral history.

https://means.tv/programs/preservingworlds

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Shinji2015 posted:

Miyamoto's done some incredible things in his career, but I'm definitely ready to see what a post-Miyamoto Nintendo looks like

Miyamoto's become the George Lucas of Nintendo, sadly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nuns with Guns posted:

People have been asking for "Let my pokemon follow meeee again!" for a long while but all the other dozens of one-off mechanics seem a bit more muted as far as whether or not the fanbase wants them. And like, it was really fun in Heart Gold/Soul Silver to have a Quagsire waddle along behind me, but it was also pretty wild how much they had to account for when making those overworld pokemon. They'd account for some gender differences, shiny color variation, and other visible stuff so they'd need to sometimes have 2 or 3 of the same models for different pokemon, and even back then there were like 500 pokemon. And I'm sure this is mostly a byproduct of their tight development schedule but the games always seem rather poorly optimized anyway. Like maybe they could do something similar for all 898 now, but it definitely would eat up a lot of their time and space making Beloved Pokemon Qwilfish float behind you on your journey.

It seems like a decent chunk of people recognize that Gamefreak has a really tight development schedule and not the largest budget for making the games, and want them to get 3-4 years to sit down and make an incredibly highly polished product that adds back in all the beloved features like pokemon following you, secret bases, refights and second maps, etc. That misses the point though that the reason Gamefreak gets stretched so thin on time and budget is because the games are just one leg holding up the greater Pokemon Company, which probably makes a lot more money selling cards and toys and plushies and advertising space around the anime than they do selling the games. The games are just another semi-yearly commodity to be pushed out and it's more important that they're there by the holidays than it is that they're highly polished or optimized.

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm kind of ready for a post-old guard Nintendo in general. At this point it's largely been the same core of people in charge of the same core franchises for close to 30 years and while I understand that's responsible for how unique and (relatively) consistent Nintendo is as a developer compared to the entire rest of the industry, one does have to wonder how many cool and interesting ideas have been shot down in the name of that consistency.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really enjoyed Origami King but even with that I was sick of the combat by the midpoint. None of the weird systems they’ve come up with have been as good as the simple and intuitive combat from the first two games

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Phillby posted:

i mean same but i don't dedicate my posting to it.

Bakeneko posted:

i liked fallen order but as i have whined about before. the souls respawn/encounter design ruins a heavy story based metroidvania style game because your fighting the same encounters like 10 times because your going through the same unchanging world to use new powers. they should have changed encounter set ups or changed up the map and bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked fallen order but as i have whined about before. the souls respawn/encounter design ruins a heavy story based metroidvania style game because your fighting the same encounters like 10 times because your going through the same unchanging world to use new powers. they should have changed encounter set ups or changed up the map and bit.

I think that's why the description as being made by people who heard about how Souls games worked second hand was spot on. You either had to go all-in on it being like a Souls game where you piece together the story or like you said you gotta change how those mechanics work if you're going to be more focused on a traditional narrative.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no you don't, both Nioh games do it fine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nioh changes a lot of stuff.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Augus posted:

I really enjoyed Origami King but even with that I was sick of the combat by the midpoint. None of the weird systems they’ve come up with have been as good as the simple and intuitive combat from the first two games
I was into the puzzle battles at first but they were just so mechanically barren and not solving the puzzle just dragged the battle out for more turns of using the same two attacks over and over.

The boss battles were a lot more mechanically interesting at least.

The thing that annoys me is that everything I disliked felt like an unnecessary hold over from the earlier games. If you want to make an action adventure game please make one next time nintendo instead of including yet another weird half baked battle system that sorta resembles the original PM but with all of the strategy depth and complexity stripped out and replaced with litterally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think that's why the description as being made by people who heard about how Souls games worked second hand was spot on. You either had to go all-in on it being like a Souls game where you piece together the story or like you said you gotta change how those mechanics work if you're going to be more focused on a traditional narrative.

yeah. like i enjoy the combat and stuff but the world never changes and the story/metroidvania stuff feels weirdly hollow because of it. there is a reason they showed that part of the kashyyk level in demos and poo poo because they try to sell it as a batman arkham/uncharted type game with set pieces and poo poo but when you go back to kahyke, you fight all those dudes in the same places over and over.