Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Tolkien's Middle-Earth: There Is Absolutely No Way It Can Get Worse.

Or any of them really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel a certain melancholy between how wonderful that list is and that I don't know anyone who would appreciate it as much as I do.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

The Ainulindalë posted:

Then Ilúvatar said to them: 'Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music. And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices, if he will.'

Eru is explicitly fine with improvisation, encouraging even.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Anshu posted:

Eru is explicitly fine with improvisation, encouraging even.

Yeah but not Jazz.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

I remember most of these, some from other contexts like James Herriot etc

Cot = cottage
Byre is a barn or cowshed
Fold = sheepfold or pen
Rick = haystack
Garner = grain storage structure
Oast = "a kiln used for drying hops" according to Google

Cot is cottage!? I always thought it was kind of grim that orcs were running about setting fire to infant's beds. I usually pictured long hairy arms reaching through open windows, match in hand.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Difference being that Mann's adaptation is an objective improvement over the novel because the they bothered to research the various nations working alongside the French and English during the war rather than the crapshoot that Cooper wrote.

Well, they did dances-with-wolves level of research. Which was good for the 90's, I guess, but the movie still conflates Mohicans and Mohawks which are entirely different nations.

And as good as Mann et al's intentions were, the movie can't overcome the mythological bedrock of the story, which is a hella problematic fantasy of manifest destiny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blood Boils posted:

Well, they did dances-with-wolves level of research. Which was good for the 90's, I guess, but the movie still conflates Mohicans and Mohawks which are entirely different nations.

And as good as Mann et al's intentions were, the movie can't overcome the mythological bedrock of the story, which is a hella problematic fantasy of manifest destiny.

True enough. Still, Wes Studi is so good that the movie can just as easily be viewed as Magua's justifiable revenge on the Europeans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's not just about destroying the subtleties in the visual spectrum, the Jackson movies also removed a lot of the emotional subtleties. I think time is going to be hard on those movies and by the 2030's they're going to be considered bad adaptations that need to be rectified.

Why wait? They've been bad adaptations for years already.

Good costumes good music, good landscapes, some good casting. Trash scripts. Even though it's considered the best one, Fellowship is poorly-paced and weirdly jumbled, it's changeforchangessake.txt in structure, characterisation and content.

Some of the changes were good, some were needed to fit the type of film they were making. Some are just weird and make the story more confusing. Even worse some have no impact at all. It's really heavy-handed adaptation.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 11, 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

We have argued about them plenty and there is no pointy rehashing it right now. We all know each other's stances on them ITT.

What I will say is I do not think anyone outside of Tolkien purists will start seeing those films are bad adaptations needing a remake. They are still quite beloved by a lot of people as evidenced by memes and such being shared by a younger generation who were babies when they were released or born well after. The changes are glaring to people like us who read the drat thing once every year or so, but to lots of other people, they are not going to care that Merry and Pippin were relegated to comic relief until ROTK.

However they will likely be remade because Hollywood will never change and I'm sure by the 2030s the view will be "those things are 30 years old now, great time to refresh with a new audience!" And we will get like loving Chris Pratt as Aragorn and old Keanu as Gandalf

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

WoodrowSkillson posted:

old Keanu as Gandalf

I'd honestly be down with that as long as he's not allowed to use his Dracula accent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean they are making a TV show right now

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

I mean they are making a TV show right now

I'm so ready to get totally disappointed by it when they start with some cool stuff and then just have absolute hot garbage for plots and then clumsily tell the akallabeth

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
For those of us thread posters who in addition to being Tolkien geeks are tabletop RPG geeks as well, the licensed RPG The One Ring is kickstarting its 2nd edition.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 11, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Geeks? In my Tolkien thread?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
7 or 8 years from now Pete Davidson will make a fine Frodo.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Arcsquad12 posted:

True enough. Still, Wes Studi is so good that the movie can just as easily be viewed as Magua's justifiable revenge on the Europeans.

Yeah making Magua an actual character is a definite improvement over previous versions.

7 or 8 years from now Pete Davidson will make a fine Frodo.

I think he'd be better as Gollum or Legolas.

Who would be Sexy Gandalf?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah making Magua an actual character is a definite improvement over previous versions.

By the law of LOTR Adaptations, Elijah Wood is contractually bound to play Bilbo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

webmeister posted:

By the law of LOTR Adaptations, Elijah Wood is contractually bound to play Bilbo

Give him 15 years he might look old enough to play Frodo.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

sassassin posted:

Give him 15 years he might look old enough to play Frodo.

If he shaved his head he could play Gollum, no need for CGI.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Blood Boils posted:

Jared Leto

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

If we're going to put that terrible a curse on it let's have Mel Gibson as Denethor.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Adam Driver as Elrond

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Salma Hayek as Sexy Gandalf

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Tom Hanks as Gandalf
Nicholas Cage as Aragorn
Dave Bautista as Boromir

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hugh Grant as the Witch King

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Antonio Banderas as Saruman.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Riff Raff as Denethor

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Tim Curry as Gandalf.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

Tim Curry as Gandalf.

No that would actually own

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I want to see Denethor played by Charles Dance.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Council of Elrond and every character is Tim Curry.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Kristen Wiig as Galadriel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Melissa McCarthy as Samwise
Sarah and Laura Silverman as Merry and Pippin

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kristen Schaal as Galadriel

Shibawanko