Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have written more words on why Firefly is actually terrible to rival Journey To The West, but basically its worst sin is it just takes old west and adds spaceships. There's never anything more than slapping some guy in chaps and a duster and giving him a funky looking gun. Why did people when they went into space decide to dress like its the 1880s? But the worst, the absolute worst example of how lazy and dumb everything is, is that the only Chinese people you see are dressed in Manchu clothes, clothes only worn because laws in China at that time dictated how men had to dress. Why would they return to clothing from an oppressive era? Why don't they get cowboy outfits? Why are they only background characters running a laundry if the evil goverment is the US+PRC?

Again, its just so lazy, Whedon just looked at old westerns and slaped sci fi stuff on it and made quirky characters nerds would like and hired good actors to play those characters and that was about it.

The Expanse does everything Firefly wanted to do. The Belters make sense, their clothing is jumpsuits because that's what is worn on stations and ships, their neck tattoos are in honour of the early generations who were forced to work in space with suits that had bad neckseals, causing burns. Their exploitation and reaction to that exploitation is central to the shows main plots and themes, not just window dressing so a funny hat can be marketed.]

In short, Firefly bad, watch the Expanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JT Smiley posted:

I'll admit really liking Xander as teen, but rewatching Buffy at almost 40 showed me what an absolute piece of poo poo that character was. There's multiple instances where he straight up sexually harasses Buffy and it's played for laughs and no one ever calls him out on it.

I feel like that has less to do with your age and more to do with how our society has evolved in the interim. That kind of humour was seen as innocuous back then. I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is only eight years removed from Revenge of the Nerds and its ilk, which were usually just straight up rapey. It's kind of the same way Star Trek was seen as progressive for its time for having women in the military, but when you watch it now it can be almost unbearably misogynistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I feel like that has less to do with your age and more to do with how our society has evolved in the interim. That kind of humour was seen as innocuous back then. I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is only eight years removed from Revenge of the Nerds and its ilk, which were usually just straight up rapey. It's kind of the same way Star Trek was seen as progressive for its time for having women in the military, but when you watch it now it can be almost unbearably misogynistic.

Eh. Xander was honestly pretty lovely even for the time, it just helped that his actor was actually extremely good at making the character feel sympathetic and likable. A worse actor would have been utterly unbearable in the role and probably would have died a lot sooner.

A lot of Buffy is elevated by actors who did more with the roles than they probably deserved. Charisma Carpenter is a good example. Even if they didn't go on to have huge careers it's still a situation of a lot of elements coming together at the right time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Remember JOSS WHEDON'S WONDER WOMAN

One is amazed Joss didn't try to bone the script paper right then and there.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dawgstar posted:

This is like a textbook example of what you're told not to do in a screenplay.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jamesman posted:

That and Adam Baldwin being a huge piece of poo poo.

Firefly is a show with a good deal of flaws, and it's entirely possible those flaws would become too hard to ignore if the show continued. But maybe, just maybe they could have had some Chinese people show up in Season 2.

Yyyep.

FilthyImp posted:

Remember JOSS WHEDON'S WONDER WOMAN

I remember everyone being baffled at how bad the costume was mostly.

Dawgstar posted:

I'm getting real "Frank Miller's script for All-Star Batman and Robin" vibes here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

I can see on the page where Whedon nutted.

:gizz: barefoot :barf:

When did that emote get changed?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lager posted:

Briscoe County, Jr was the scifi western we truly needed.

I liked Firefly but this is the correct answer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No other space western can ever compare to The American Astronaut, except possibly its pseudo-sequel Stingray Sam.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Max and Clark had a son named Mark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Firefly stole all its ideas from anime anyway.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Avengers is a fun movie, but all the characters seem to just talk in constant snarky comments and wisecracks for like 80% of the film. It pales in comparison to what the Russo Brothers did with them, and the idea of Whedon directing and writing Infinity War or Endgame, just no.

Black Widow's characterization in Age of Ultron is meant to be about trauma or something, but falls back on weird sexist tropes about childbearing and ballet. Whenever Ultron isn't on screen, that film is probably the worst MCU film, and he's hardly in it at all!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I did like it better when it was Outlaw Star.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It really is just Fullmetal Alchemist in a lot of ways.

E: Leaving my shame for all to see, but I meant Trigun here.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 11, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Vince MechMahon posted:

It really is just Fullmetal Alchemist in a lot of ways.

Come again?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also less severe but still unprofessional. Didn't Joss also get into arguements with Adam Baldwin over politics on set.
Yeah I know about Adam Baldwin, but this was 2002, Republicans still had their dignity back then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

Come again?

I somehow mixed up Trigun and FA in my head.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

David D. Davidson posted:

Also less severe but still unprofessional. Didn't Joss also get into arguements with Adam Baldwin over politics on set.
Yeah I know about Adam Baldwin, but this was 2002, Republicans still had their dignity back then.

No they didn't.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Edit: Off topic and stupid, removing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

No they didn't.

The year after 9/11, historically when the Republicans and Democrats both were at record lows of evil. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Bob Chapek was asked a few minutes ago at the Disney earnings call about a Disney+ release for Black Widow, and while he unsurprisingly didn't announce any official change in the current release plan (I don't expect that for at least a couple weeks, even though it's already pretty safe to say that a May 7 theatrical-only release is not going to happen), it was pretty interesting that the first thing he said was about Disney's flexibility with respect to release plans and that they're paying very close attention to theater reopenings and audiences' willingness to return to them. so fingers crossed for no more delays

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ages and ages ago, when a cartoon's main goal was to sell toys, there was a cartoon called Bravestarr about a Native American sheriff who had weird animal powers (it was the the 80s so cultural sensitivity still had a way to go) and he lived on some mining planet and and the whole thing was all very western sci fi themed. It was pretty cool. I only bring it up because people are talking about what the best sci fi western is. It isn't Firefly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yep. Bravestarr got assigned to the planet of New Texas and found the Shaman (a space native american?) Who commutes with the natural world at Star Peak and fights a spiritual battle against the evil spirit known as Stampede, a skeleton-dinosaur-thing and his undead vassal, Tex Hex.

Bravestarr has the Eyes of the Hawk, Ears of the Wolf, Strength of the Bear and Speed of the Puma. He's also aided by his horse-person-cyborg deputy, 30-30, who is armed with a huge fuckoff shotgun and has Raphael's disposition towards conflict.

Sadly the Origin Story movie came after the series ended. It's the best of the old He-Man style cartoons.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, Bravestarr was legitimately awesome, although in retrospect the horse looks much more like a furry than I remembered.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Man I remember running around a playground when I was 5 or 6 and shouting SPEED OF THE PUMA and thinking it actually made me faster.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I somehow mixed up Trigun and FA in my head.

Oh ok, that makes a lot more sense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I remember liking the Bravestarr and the horse toys because they were huge.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Bravestarr is the least bad thing fimilation ever made and it was also the last thing they ever made

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Bravestarr is the least bad thing fimilation ever made and it was also the last thing they ever made

Wrong
https://youtu.be/XsuTccKKGjo
https://youtu.be/AWzoi1cx7_U

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I didn't know X-Men: Apocalypse was on Disney+. I only saw it twice in the cinema now to sit down and be disappointed all over again!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Only saw apocalypse twice lol

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

site posted:

Only saw apocalypse twice lol

Ngl, it did make me rethink the whole 'having friends' thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wait wtf Ghostbusters is an adaptation???

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shageletic posted:

wait wtf Ghostbusters is an adaptation???

Yes. The live action show rules

Oh you mean the films. No they are not, but they are an attempted revival of the ghost comedy genre.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 12, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well watched Apocalypse for a third time, still disappointing and what a lovely ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-Men Apocalypse: Hey, Oscar Isaac is a handsome dude with a load of charisma. Lets put in him a ton of makeup so he can't emote and then not give him anything to do with the character.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
further context on what's going on with Black Widow's release (though ignore the "debunked" part here; having listened to that exchange from the investor call myself, Variety's framing is highly inaccurate and it's pretty clear to me that Chapek was doing the exact opposite, all but confirming they're at least considering a hybrid release)

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/black-widow-f9-release-dates-summer-1234905246/

quote:

There have been frequent rumors that “Black Widow” may keep its May release date and take a route similar to “Raya and the Last Dragon,” meaning it would premiere simultaneously in theaters and on Disney Plus for a premium price. On Disney’s quarterly earnings call on Thursday, Disney CEO Bob Chapek debunked that theory and stressed that the studio is “still intending [‘Black Widow’] to be a theatrical release.”

According to insiders, that’s partially because Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige, the lead architect behind the meticulously constructed Marvel Cinematic Universe, was opposed to a hybrid rollout. Having produced many of the studio’s highest-grossing movies, including “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame,” Feige’s opinion certainly carries considerable weight at Disney. But that doesn’t mean the powers that be can’t eventually convince Feige to change his mind — or overrule him completely.

Sources suggest Disney has three to four weeks before having to make a decision about “Black Widow” and Universal has slightly more time for “F9” because it’s not expected to debut until three weeks after the Marvel film. “Black Widow,” in particular, represents its own set of complications because of the interconnected nature of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which now spans both feature films meant for theatrical distribution, and limited and ongoing TV series created for Disney Plus. Bumping “Black Widow” means that “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” (July 9) and “Eternals” (Nov. 5) would almost certainly be shuffled around as well. It could also throw Marvel’s carefully planned roll-out of its Disney Plus shows into disarray as well — after “The Falcon and the Winter Solider” in March, at least four other titles are set to premiere on the streamer this year.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

bessantj posted:

Well watched Apocalypse for a third time, still disappointing and what a lovely ending.

If you watch it more than once you deserve what you get.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

The Dave posted:

If you watch it more than once you deserve what you get.

I'm starting to remember that scene in Parks and Rec where Chris Pratt talks about Expendables 2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1360276461836460035