Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The burger flipper should take priority over billionaires that's for certain

And fuckhead politicians who have claimed the virus isn't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

What if they live with S/O, Kids, parents, roommates who don't?

I'd like to one day see someone do an "ethics on vaccination rationing" on this and make the case that maybe the 25 year old burger flipper needs vaccine more than my gramma whose 80 something, retired, and lives at home in rural rear end texas.

The 25 year old burger flipper has many, many times more face-to-face contacts daily with other individuals than your 80 year old gramma who lives in bumfuck texas. Gramma should get a vaccine too, but not vaccinating the burger flipper is a mistake because burger flipper could be a super spreader if they catch it and are forced to work because gently caress service sector employees amirite.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

The 25 year old burger flipper has many, many times more face-to-face contacts daily with other individuals than your 80 year old gramma who lives in bumfuck texas. Gramma should get a vaccine too, but not vaccinating the burger flipper is a mistake because burger flipper could be a super spreader if they catch it and are forced to work because gently caress service sector employees amirite.

I agree, state of georgia in their infinite wisdom thinks 25 year old burger flipper gets all the way to the back of the line, while my gramma can go get one right now, even though her risk of catching it is near 0 unless she ends up in a hospital. In which case she's probably dead from infection anyway, let alone covid.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
current event:

https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1359933021835714564?s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1360034522197184513?s=20

Neither the insurrectionists / QAnon wing or the Trump apologists will give a poo poo about this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nominate trump

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

boop the snoot posted:

False. CDC guidance is still 14 days. Local health officials have the option of ten days. Go read the guidance before you cite the guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

E: so the answer is no, you haven’t actually read the CDC guidance

*400,000 dead Americans*
*Abject failure of public health unseen in modern history
*Through admittedly political meddling in public health*
"Well, actually, the CDC isn't doing half bad and their PR just needs to be trusted even by laypeople"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Neither the insurrectionists / QAnon wing or the Trump apologists will give a poo poo about this

Nominating a sitting senator of the opposite party to be the ambassador to idk Jamaica is actually pretty galaxy brain.

That’s probably not what they meant though.

edit: wait flake was beaten by the astronaut right? Never mind

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

stackofflapjacks posted:

*400,000 dead Americans*
"Well, actually, the CDC isn't doing half bad and their PR just needs to be trusted even by laypeople"

Are you loving kidding me

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

stackofflapjacks posted:

*400,000 dead Americans*

Lol do you think the CDC has been running the show?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Nominating a sitting senator of the opposite party to be the ambassador to idk Jamaica is actually pretty galaxy brain.

Actually that would be super galaxy brain, basically get rid of incumbent advantage and send them off to places of no real import.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Defenestrategy posted:

Actually that would be super galaxy brain, basically get rid of incumbent advantage and send them off to places of no real import.
I saw speculation that Biden would do this for Toomey or one of the Ohio guys, or offer them some prestigious but low-power cabinet role, on the theory that with a 51-49 Senate, the Secretary of Transportation being a Republican would matter *way* less.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nevermind

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 12, 2021

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy regains girl. Oldest story in the world.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol do you think the CDC has been running the show?

The CDC is the real deep state when you think about it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Keep schools open for young kids. Middle and High school etc is a different story and ymmv. Vaccinate older people first.

Pretty important not to gently caress over a bunch of young children who attend public schools and deprive them of education, food, social work access and limited health access.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Then vaccinate teachers before the olds. This shouldn't be that hard.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
stupid scientists, getting the vaccine priority wrong

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vaccinating old people first clearly saves the most lives and stops over saturation of hospitals by a wide margin.

Place teachers also on an essential worker list and higher priority than other jobs, sure.

But keeping public schools closed because of unscientific risk aversion at the cost of kids’ development amd wellbeing is bad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

I agree, state of georgia in their infinite wisdom thinks 25 year old burger flipper gets all the way to the back of the line, while my gramma can go get one right now, even though her risk of catching it is near 0 unless she ends up in a hospital. In which case she's probably dead from infection anyway, let alone covid.

olds vote, olds get sloppy oral from the organs of the state. The circle of life continues, truncated

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Olds get sick and fill up hospitals so that everyone collectively suffers more due to an overburdened hospital system.

Not everything is some special interest handout. If you want less hospitals maxxed on capacity, you protect the most vulnerable populations first.

Alternately, you could kill them all to keep hospital less full, but that has some real problems!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

olds vote, olds get sloppy oral from the organs of the state. The circle of life continues, truncated

So the politicians overruled the scientists to promote their constituencies? And the nerds just capitulated and put their names on it?

lol

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

mlmp08 posted:

Olds get sick and fill up hospitals so that everyone collectively suffers more due to an overburdened hospital system.

Not everything is some special interest handout. If you want less hospitals maxxed on capacity, you protect the most vulnerable populations first.

Alternately, you could kill them all to keep hospital less full, but that has some real problems!

Have you considered though, that: gently caress boomers?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if my kid was still in school and someone told me OPEN UP THE SCHOOLS i would punch them right in the drat mouth

thats right. through my monitor BOOM

edit : i would be sure to wear gloves too

ded fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 12, 2021

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

DoDEA teachers are already being vaccinated. My wife got her second dose yesterday. Funny how federal teachers are more important than regular ones.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/hugolowell/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-people-trapped-freeway-pileup-texas-officials/story?id=75827045

There was a 100+ car pileup on I-35 outside of Fort Worth. Over 6 people are dead, and 35 people were taken to the hospital in ambulances.

There are some pretty crazy pictures and videos of it out there on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Ali94643120/status/1359904079112245252

https://twitter.com/jaredmendozaaa/status/1359931560150134794

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How. How the gently caress did they not see that

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Freezing rain + people not used to winter road conditions + Texas drivers, I guess. I grew up in a state that gets a decent amount of snow, and I learned to be terrified of regular city streets in the winter months, let alone interstates.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm, doomers gonna doom. No news is good news.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Keep schools open for young kids. Middle and High school etc is a different story and ymmv. Vaccinate older people first.

Pretty important not to gently caress over a bunch of young children who attend public schools and deprive them of education, food, social work access and limited health access.

Hey here's a thought maybe not gently caress over a bunch of underpaid teachers and instead fund social programs so that the only option for kids getting food, social work access, and education isn't being crammed into a plague incubator. Or fund hiring of additional teachers and aides so the classes can be split into safe pod sizes.
But nah, we have to "think of the children" in the way that doesn't actually improve their lives and actively harms a profession that America, in general, hates. Much like service workers.

Nick Soapdish posted:

No, but the never Trumpers who helped push Biden over the finish line will, and it doesn't actually hurt anything policy-wise.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I don't entirely understand why people want to open schools so bad. Is it because it's essentially a day care/prison so they can stop caring about their kids, push people back into a workplace that might not exist anymore. I don't mean to be flippant here, but I just don't get it.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 12, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I don't entirely understand why people want to open schools so bad. Is it because it's essentially a day care/prison so they can stop caring about their kids, push people back into a workplace that might not exist anymore. I don't mean to be flippant here, but I just don't get it.

Free childcare.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I don't entirely understand why people want to open schools so bad. Is it because it's essentially a day care/prison so they can stop caring about their kids, push people back into a workplace that might not exist anymore.

It’s because years of development and education lost in grade school are incredibly hard and sometimes impossible to make up later. A quality grade school education is a massive discriminator in access to education and jobs and opportunities and basics like language and arithmetic later in life.

A crummy or missed high school or college is far easier to recover via adult education or work experience than making up for not learning the basics and having a (relatively) stable environment early in life.

Beyond that, it is not a good tactic to shame lower income parents who do want their kids at school so they can work. Mocking the poor as bad parents just because they want their kids to learn to read and interact socially while the parent earns money is some bootstraps bullshit. “Learn to be an unpaid home school teacher” is a garbage plan to give to a parent who isn’t qualified to do so and doesn’t have any interest in doing that and has another job.

Yeah, Star Trek utopia would be awesome as hell, but in the meantime educating and caring for young children is for the greater good.

Besides, the privileged are eagerly getting an even greater opportunity advantage for their own kids by finding schools that are open or private lessons for their kids while public schools for the poor and minorities are shut down.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
That makes sense. My time in school was profoundly negative and that kind of colors any thoughts about it when it comes up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I don't entirely understand why people want to open schools so bad. Is it because it's essentially a day care/prison so they can stop caring about their kids, push people back into a workplace that might not exist anymore. I absolutely hated school to the point where I put in sped because I just wouldn't show up or do work for classes I didn't care about.

The argument for opening up schools is pretty straightforward - first, for many/most students, distance learning is far less effective than in-person learning, and the disparity is even more extreme for kids without regular access to good internet or devices. And second, there are a huge number of working parents with younger children who are being forced to decide between staying with their kids at home, and going to work to make rent. It's a situation where there are no good options but the status quo hurts the poor the most, and is drastically exacerbating the already severe income/education gap. Many kids have already effectively lost a year of education and developmentally that's not great!

I'm sympathetic to everyone in the argument because no matter which way you slice it, it sucks, and I can't imagine being a student, teacher, or parent right now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just remember that if Cindy McCain ends up as Ambassador to the UK she has to talk to Boris Johnson.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

It’s because years of development and education lost in grade school are incredibly hard and sometimes impossible to make up later. A quality grade school education is a massive discriminator in access to education and jobs and opportunities and basics like language and arithmetic later in life.

A crummy or missed high school or college is far easier to recover via adult education or work experience than making up for not learning the basics and having a (relatively) stable environment early in life.

Beyond that, it is not a good tactic to shame lower income parents who do want their kids at school so they can work. Mocking the poor as bad parents just because they want their kids to learn to read and interact socially while the parent earns money is some bootstraps bullshit. “Learn to be an unpaid home school teacher” is a garbage plan to give to a parent who isn’t qualified to do so and doesn’t have any interest in doing that and has another job.

Yeah, Star Trek utopia would be awesome as hell, but in the meantime educating and caring for young children is for the greater good.

Besides, the privileged are eagerly getting an even greater opportunity advantage for their own kids by finding schools that are open or private lessons for their kids while public schools for the poor and minorities are shut down.

If the people pushing for open schools actually gave a poo poo about child development and education, there would be money to open schools safely. But no, most of the people yelling the loudest are disingenuously using the arguments to get the free childcare back in the building so the service workers they also don't give a poo poo about can get back to serving them.
If I seem upset it's because every day I go to work with colleagues who, months later, still have a bad cough, trouble going up stairs, and bouts of brain fog. Who have all put in time and labor to keep kids off drugs, out of jail, stop self harm, get into college, etc. And we're being told, as a profession, that we don't care enough about the well-being of children.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Vaccinating old people first clearly saves the most lives and stops over saturation of hospitals by a wide margin.

Place teachers also on an essential worker list and higher priority than other jobs, sure.

But keeping public schools closed because of unscientific risk aversion at the cost of kids’ development amd wellbeing is bad.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations.html

The CDC has always recommended that teachers and essential workers go before 65-74. Many states have taken it into their own hands to rearrange those policies. Some of those states, like NC, cite various studies that supposedly prove that schools are very safe to reopen provided certain safety precautions are being accomplished, which, loooooooooooooool if you think they're being accomplished. Either way, rearranging teachers below olds and others is a deliberate choice whereas otherwise they would likely be on their second dose by now. It's possible to read a lot of different things into why state governments made that choice, but I'm going to go with "republicans hate teachers, hate teachers unions and hate public education and all of this is due to malice and vindictiveness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Changing topics, I have a question about the Senate rules. Can they change the rules to remove the filibuster, then change them again and restore it? That sounds like the kind of poo poo McConnell would do.