Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Entering our second year of the plague and the gov is still floating "would it be bad if we just gave up and let the house burn down?" as a potential solution

"Looks chaps, I know we absolutely hosed it last year and are now standing astride 100k+ graves...but what if, what if...we just carried on and changed nothing."
"Oh bravo, excellent!"

[e]:
:lol:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Looks chaps, I know we absolutely hosed it last year and are now standing astride 100k+ graves...but what if, what if...we just carried on and changed nothing."
"Oh bravo, excellent!"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Should the government’s Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling be boiled alive in a big pot of piss?

I'm just widening the scope of the debate here, no need to get mad, we're all just running ideas up the flagpole and seeing whose pants are down.

while I think broadly speaking questioning your assumptions and reasoning and considering a broad range of options is good practice, the fact is we live in a world where you need to be careful speculating about certain things in public in case you provide ammunition to people advocating bad courses of action

it's irresponsible to suggest that not boiling them alive in a pot of piss is a viable option

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
It doesn’t seem an outright unreasonable question to me. Once the vulnerable people are protected from covid isn’t it time to reassess whether the impact of lockdown (mental health, economic, education, etc) outweigh the impact of covid on the less vulnerable people?

Am I missing something?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Saw this on Reddit, I lolled a bit.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Dakha posted:

It doesn’t seem an outright unreasonable question to me. Once the vulnerable people are protected from covid isn’t it time to reassess whether the impact of lockdown (mental health, economic, education, etc) outweigh the impact of covid on the less vulnerable people?

Am I missing something?

leaving aside the fact younger people can still get seriously ill or die, the long covid, and the fact that none of the vaccines are 100% effective so you will still have a significant portion of the vulnerable population at high risk, the most obvious issue is the fact that with greater amounts of transmission there's more opportunities for the virus to mutate in ways that might cause further problems

the answer to minimising harm from both the virus and lockdowns is still zero covid imho, even if the government's year of fuckups mean we've got a mountain to climb to get there

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hmm, could "a big wave of infection" actually be a good thing? I am very smart

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

It should be 'when', not should.
Boris is looking forward to the day where he can proclaim everyone who is important is vaccinated, so get back to work, and then shut down all tracking and money to combat it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It's hard to take this as anything other than them overtly trying to kill me, my partner, and my friends

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
plus, and this is something that happens every pandemic and has already happened this pandemic, even. while everything is closed there is an enormous demand - if 10% of the pubs opened they'd serve record business. problem with this demand is that it represents a minority - those who are not taking the restrictions as seriously or are not afraid of the virus. lets say they represent a third of the population - a third of the population over 10% of the pubs is a banner year.

the majority of the population however, or at least a very large chunk, might go out and have a meal or two as a performative lockdown farewell or special occasion or something but will otherwise drastically change their behaviour - no one wants to go see sonic 2 at the cost of £11 and their lung function. this means that when everything opens you have a third of the population over all of the pubs, and everything catastrophically starts failing.

the government wants this because it would mean they're not paying furlough or other financial support, but it pushes the hospitality sector from coma to death.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Love to turn the island into a viral petri dish because actually doing things to mitigate disaster was hard work and makes the economy number sad.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Quest 2 vr stuff

This looks cool and cheapish. But then I notice the cyber shoes (Pack Includes CYBERCHAIR and CYBERCARPET) and now I must have it.

CoolCab posted:

plus, and this is something that happens every pandemic and has already happened this pandemic, even. while everything is closed there is an enormous demand - if 10% of the pubs opened they'd serve record business. problem with this demand is that it represents a minority - those who are not taking the restrictions as seriously or are not afraid of the virus. lets say they represent a third of the population - a third of the population over 10% of the pubs is a banner year.

the majority of the population however, or at least a very large chunk, might go out and have a meal or two as a performative lockdown farewell or special occasion or something but will otherwise drastically change their behaviour - no one wants to go see sonic 2 at the cost of £11 and their lung function. this means that when everything opens you have a third of the population over all of the pubs, and everything catastrophically starts failing.

the government wants this because it would mean they're not paying furlough or other financial support, but it pushes the hospitality sector from coma to death.

I don't think any of this is right.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 12, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

CoolCab posted:

it's going to be loving hilarious when everything opens and by pure freak probability no major covid variants of concern emerge, the vaccine remains effective, and then we all die of a now-airborne hyper-infectious mutant STD.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Love to turn the island into a viral petri dish because actually doing things to mitigate disaster was hard work and makes the economy number sad.*

*does not make economy number sad

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
(Edit: this was addressed to XMNN) I’m not sure that covid to zero minimises lockdown harm though, quite the opposite?

Whether lockdown harm is a reasonable trade off vs covid harm is a different (and totally reasonable) question though. Sounds like you’re saying you’d accept any amount of lockdown pain over a single additional covid death?

Myself I’m in favour of a more balanced approach, e.g. let’s get a bit further down the list then consider opening up. I have a friend with MS who isn’t eligible for another couple of categories, I hope we don’t open up before they are protected. But I’m encouraged by the numbers coming out of Israel, sounds like maybe the NHS could handle some amount of covid if the majority of the population are safe. It’s how we live our lives with winter flu etc right?

Dakha fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 12, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think any of this is right.

it is - it's the justification for "eat out to help out" - the pubs and restaurants weren't closed but the government still needed stimulus to get butts in seats. similarly it has happened all over america where they're much more gunshy about state closures - thinks like cinemas shut due to economic pressure, not because they were concerned about safety.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Love to turn the island into a viral petri dish because actually doing things to mitigate disaster was hard work and makes the economy number sad.

but on the other hand, think of how low the unemployment rate will go when we kill all the poors

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

crispix posted:

what bit are they off?

I've got a bit of the yellow surround, some wheat hair and some eggshell face. My sister has a bit of eggshell nose that's still got egg on the other side - so disrespectful! Until we saw all the online stuff about this "floral display" it had never even occurred to us that Well Dressing is loving weird even when it's not... whatever this one was.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Spangly A posted:

*does not make economy number sad

Well yeah, it's just the justificiation that they'll use that goes hand in hand with the "National Credit Card" poo poo, when they're gearing up for Austerity 2: The Revenge.

Spangly A posted:

it's going to be loving hilarious when everything opens and by pure freak probability no major covid variants of concern emerge, the vaccine remains effective, and then we all die of a now-airborne hyper-infectious mutant STD.

In a fit of irony, the English disease is going to kill us all.

Convex posted:

but on the other hand, think of how low the unemployment rate will go when we kill all the poors

All time low unemployment, all time high gravedigger employment.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dakha posted:

(Edit: this was addressed to XMNN) I’m not sure that covid to zero minimises lockdown harm though, quite the opposite?

Whether lockdown harm is a reasonable trade off vs covid harm is a different (and totally reasonable) question though. Sounds like you’re saying you’d accept any amount of lockdown pain over a single additional covid death?

Myself I’m in favour of a more balanced approach, e.g. let’s get a bit further down the list then consider opening up. I have a friend with MS who isn’t eligible for another couple of categories, I hope we don’t open up before they are protected. But I’m encouraged by the numbers coming out of Israel, sounds like maybe the NHS could handle some amount of covid if the majority of the population are safe. It’s how we live our lives with winter flu etc right?

I'm almost passed the point of caring personally, it's been a year and I'm just pretty loving sick of it all. I'd agree that we should start opening in a measured way once the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated, though, pending more data on long COVID. The thread does come off as a bit 'one COVID death is unacceptable and we must be in permanent lockdown until not a single bit of COVID exists in the world', I gotta admit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cool

https://twitter.com/DanielZamoraV/status/1360203303557226500?s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and, like - it's horrible but none of this is new. lockdowns do not cause economic downturns, plagues do - you can demonstrate this trivially in this current pandemic by looking at places with effective lockdowns versus ineffective ones and contrasting their economic outcomes, but again, it's very old behaviour.

how many people here took advantage of eat out to help out? how much of a contrast is that against if they'd held the scheme a year previous - you'd have queues outside every restaurant in the country. scared people do not spend - economic and health anxieties are insanely toxic to the hospitality industry.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

It's hard to take this as anything other than them overtly trying to kill me, my partner, and my friends

I'm convinced that the government has only mustered up the pathetic effort it has because this is a global issue and every other country is showing us up. If the situation were isolated to the UK they absolutely would've allowed mass death on an even wider scale than they already have.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jakabite posted:

I'm almost passed the point of caring personally, it's been a year and I'm just pretty loving sick of it all. I'd agree that we should start opening in a measured way once the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated, though, pending more data on long COVID. The thread does come off as a bit 'one COVID death is unacceptable and we must be in permanent lockdown until not a single bit of COVID exists in the world', I gotta admit.

There are other effective ways of surpressing the disease but our government appears fundamentally incapable of attempting them. It's easier to imagine lockdown going on indefinitely than it is test and trace actually working.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1360158159592169474?s=21

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1360170898330972348?s=21

Note that Lee Harpin is the political editor of the Jewish Chronicle, and has been heavily involved in the Labour antisemitism business. It does look very much like they tried to derail the Forde Inquiry using a report to the ICO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

It's a welcome change from the rest of the media lying about child suicide rates to get everything open as soon as possible.

stev posted:

I'm convinced that the government has only mustered up the pathetic effort it has because this is a global issue and every other country is showing us up. If the situation were isolated to the UK they absolutely would've allowed mass death on an even wider scale than they already have.
It does raise the question of how the government got so uniquely detached from the people it is supposed to be governing on behalf of. It doesn't seem linked to economic system or political ideology as much as a first guess might think when looking at the wide variety of places that have done the opposite.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dakha posted:

Am I missing something?

More infections means more mutations, its extremely, extremely dangerous to be playing with a plague like that.

E I do agree that some posters are too cautious and basically sunk cost fallacy is making people want to justify locking down forever,
but the other side is a lot of magical thinking where we can just take this on the chin.
Which is a complete misunderstanding of plagues and how they work.

Our current global strategy basically requires that we do not just open things back up coz that means new variants and that means the vaccine may go out the window or we end up with covid 22 making covid 19 look like a cold. (viruses in general should evolve to be less lethal but that does not mean they can't do the opposite and we roll the dice several billion times each time there's a new host)

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 12, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CoolCab posted:

The bolded part especially - they're already floating the idea of "what about if pubs open but couldn't serve alcohol" which is a very transparent skip away from "well, you've chosen not to open even though you're allowed, so no furlough payable to you!"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I absolutely don't want lockdowns to go on forever, I just think that the repeated pattern of opening up and allowing exponential spread of the virus has lead to more time spent in lockdown than actually getting transmission to the point where a decent test and trace system and some light restrictions might have done the first, second and, at this rate, third time

like we'll still have the majority of the adult population unvaccinated by the 8th of march or whenever they're looking at opening schools

I believe the current R is estimated at 0.7-1.0 and that schools are anything from 0.2-0.5 increase so we'll be dangerously close to being back at exponential growth just from a couple of restrictions being lifted which will inevitably lead to millions of cases and tens or hundreds of thousands of bad health outcomes and possibly lockdown MK4 by the summer

like maybe this time will be the time that "some covid" works out as a strategy but I personally wouldn't bet on it

e: like I hate the lockdown, I live on my own and haven't seen most of my friends in a year and I'd just like to get back to actual normal as soon as possible, but messing around trying to finesse hospitalisation rates to avoid overtopping ICU capacities is a stupid game that has cost a hundred thousand lives and a year of everyone's lives and I don't trust the government to somehow get it right this time

XMNN fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 12, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

getting some extremely fashy vibes from France recently, moreso than usual

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Convex posted:

getting some extremely fashy vibes from France recently, moreso than usual

Le Pen is literal fash, and that debate has her coming down on the side of civil liberties.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I absolutely don't want lockdowns to go on forever, I just think that the repeated pattern of opening up and allowing exponential spread of the virus has lead to more time spent in lockdown than actually getting transmission to the point where a decent test and trace system and some light restrictions might have done the first, second and, at this rate, third time

But yeah lockdowns are the last realistic option and it says a lot that we keep running headfirst into them because nobody did anything else :negative:

Darth Walrus posted:

Le Pen is literal fash, and that debate has her coming down on the side of civil liberties.
something something liberals are the real fascists

Turns out Turning Point was right all along (while being completely loving wrong).

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
To be clear my preferences are, in order:

* no covid
* an early, effective lockdown like NZ
* vaccinating the population and living with some amount of covid a la winter flu
* lockdown until zero domestically, indefinite closed borders

Sadly the first two are off the table now, so no sense wishing for them. And then it becomes a question of trade offs. As someone who is relatively unaffected by lockdown, WFH is ok, my company is doing fine, my toddler is happy at nursery, I can see enough suffering and misery (hell, even in the last few pages of this thread) for me to conclude that the third is better than the fourth. I don’t disagree that mutations etc make this a choice between bad options but it just feels like that’s where we are. I hope I’m wrong on this.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A zero covid strategy lockdown will be shorter because unsafe things are closed rather than the government leaving businesses open to spread the virus and also fail to make money at the same time.

A proper quarantine for foreign travel and test and trace system nationally prevents large-scale reoccurance meaning local lock downs actually stop the spread rather than just meaning there's a national lockdown coming in the next two months.

Once the community spread is near 0 and being caught quickly then domestically we can live pretty much without additional restrictions as the risks are so low and monitored.

It's literally better by all standards unless you think making the government responsible for doing things is the ultimate evil.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 12, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lots of good points being made here. I live alone too and am utterly lonely and sick of it all and just want things to be normal again.
But I wouldn't want everything to open up too early and trigger off a rise that leads to yet another lockdown later on; I really want this to be the last one.
But I'm also worried that the lockdown, which began as a one-off emergency measure, is becoming worryingly normalised and could end up as a semi-permanent thing.
And you'd think that rolling out the vaccines like we have done would allow everything to open back up.
But apparently, it doesn't.
Or, it might do?
Every news story I see tells me something different.

I hate all this and I think I'm going to get drunk.

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
The other trouble with covid to zero is that closing the borders is much harder for the UK than Australia or NZ.

NZ quarantine capacity is ~250 rooms per 14 days and the current wait for a slot is ~5 months. Heathrow had 15,000 travellers per hour.

How would that work long term? It’s tricky for Australia and NZ and they’re not nearly as connected as we are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why South East Asia is probably the better place to look, in terms of population, density, and border connectivity.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pistol_Pete posted:

I hate all this and I think I'm going to get drunk.
:same:

& also there's a pandemic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Oh bravo, excellent!"

Why are you ascribing such levels of competence to the Tories? They're not wanting to carry on with nothing changed; they want to make things worse.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the lockdowns will continue until the r number improves :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Dig for Victory veg challenge of the week: I have 3 bulbs of fennel. What the gently caress do I do with 3 bulbs of fennel?