Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Slightly different question about my Pixel 5

Working with games with lots of interaction near bottom of screen

I have some games like Slay the Spire where a lot of the interaction is dragging cards from the bottom of the screen in landscape. However too often this is misinterpreted as me wanting to bring up the system interface like changing apps or showing my home screen or whatever.

Is there any easy way to tell the pixel to stop doing this for certain apps? I just want it to stick to immersive mode. It is annoying having my system bar pop up every time I play a card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

LastInLine posted:

I use 1Password and it integrates with Gboard so even if an app doesn't autofill (and 1PW seems particularly bad at associating apps with passwords if I'm being honest, especially compared to LastPass) then the opportunity to search 1PW is in the suggestion bar. Does Bitwarden not do this?

It does sometimes, but not all the time

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You know what would be a really neat function? If i could select a a Movie or TV Show that i don't want to get spoiled on in the loving Google feed!
I don't get around to watch every new episode of a show right when it comes out and it would be really nice if i could tick a box that says "Don't show me anything about Wandavision or The Expanse until i tell you to or in like six months"
I still want the news about announced new seasons and poo poo like that later on, just not the loving "How [Characters] death changes everything!!!!" right at the top of my feed five minutes after the show releases!
Yes i know i could set it to "not interested" manually und remove it from the list again later on. I just want a more comfortable function for that.
Feels like something that would be pretty useful in this golden age of television!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The feed is a constant reminder of how stupid "AI" really is. Thanks for the south africa weather updates for some random reason. Oh, because I'm interested in "weather"? Nailed it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I find the kind of news sources that have those kind of headlines are the ones I have on ignore anyway

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FunOne posted:

The feed is a constant reminder of how stupid "AI" really is. Thanks for the south africa weather updates for some random reason. Oh, because I'm interested in "weather"? Nailed it.

They're lowering your expectations so when they really turn on and start taking over it'll be more of a surprise

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Algorithm keeps recommending me funny animal videos. As long as our new AI overlords are willing to keep delivering on that, I don't care who I pay my taxes to.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/12/leaked-xiaomi-mi-11-ultras-camera-bump-has-more-than-just-cameras/

Keep going. Innovate until the entire back of the phone is a camera

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Glad they’re doing something, no matter how wacky. Many of the new features being pushed out by Samsung, apple, and google were pioneered by Chinese phone manufacturers years ago.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

LastInLine posted:

Maybe verify the entire screen works with something like this? I've never used that tool but if you can find one that goes into Immersive Mode (that's what that mode you're referring to is called) that'd be best. Maybe that term will help you search for others with the problem too, but personally I'm out of ideas.

I gave this a shot and even when it's in Immersive Mode the screen works fine, so it seems likely some per-app thing and more the responsibility of the app devs to fix than anything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anybody else slowly have their fingerprint scanner degrade in quality over time

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Pixel 3 specifically. They seem to start off strong, but after 8-14 months they're virtually unusable, which makes most banking apps a real pain to use

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How recently have you last registered your fingerprints? I've made the experience on multiple phones that what I'm assuming are minor changes to my thumbprints over time made them slowly less and less responsive when I used the fingerprint scanners, but re-registering them tended to make them react much more quickly again for a while.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hadlock posted:

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Pixel 3 specifically. They seem to start off strong, but after 8-14 months they're virtually unusable, which makes most banking apps a real pain to use

Try a) clearing the layer of goon slime off it if you haven't recently, or b) redoing the fingerprint profiles

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hadlock posted:

Nope. My Pixel 3 is approaching two years old and the sensor's doing just fine.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Sounds weird but try some car detailing clay wetted with some filtered water, which can be used ALL over your phone. Surprisingly effective and no residue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tired: grip tape
Wired: Bondo

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have trouble on my fairly new Pixel 5 with the fingerprint scanner. It's been less than 6 months now and it sometimes (not all the time) just simply doesn't recognize it anymore. I'll have to try these suggestions to see if anything improves. Never had this problem on the Pixel 3 with over 2 years of use.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Register the same finger twice. If your finger is wet or dirty, wipe it off. Think that's all there is to it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Oneplus 8T's scanner is under the oled display. It has worked always without any problems at all. Earlier my old phone had a separate fingerprint reader and it was slow, quite bad and required re-registering fingerprints every once in a while.

Based on this tiny sample size I recommended below screen fp readers if at all possible. They seem to be a lot more reliable.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hadlock posted:

Are you sure you're not a slowly degrading clone of the real Hadlock?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anybody else have problems with Whatsapp continually losing connection? I am using a Oneplus 6T on 10.3.8 and also the desktop app on Mac but this has been a problem on all versions I've had. I also reinstalled it.

I've exempted it from battery optimisation but it still seems to disconnect every few minutes and messages will often arrive 20 minutes late, calls are missed without even ringing. It seems to require not only turning my phone screen on but also opening the app to make it reconnect and it's rendering the service almost pointless since it's not much more use than email like this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anjow posted:

Does anybody else have problems with Whatsapp continually losing connection?

Depends, what kind of state sponsored terrorism watch lists are you on

No

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Hi, I have a Note 9 atm with a cracked screen and I was looking into maybe trading it in partially for a S21 phone, is it worth springing for the S21 or should I wait to see if a new Note is coming?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Galaxy Note 21 isn't coming for at least another year, from what I've read, and the S21 UItra has S-Pen support, if that is important to you.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

Galaxy Note 21 isn't coming for at least another year, from what I've read, and the S21 UItra has S-Pen support, if that is important to you.

It is, so yah think ill spring for it, neat, easy decision.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The problem with S Pen support on the S21 is there isn't a little silo on the phone to store it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

dissss posted:

The problem with S Pen support on the S21 is there isn't a little silo on the phone to store it.

Yeah, you can buy a case with a pen slot but that adds more width to the side of an already large device.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
On the other hand, if you put it in backwards you haven't wrecked your phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ChineseBuffet posted:

On the other hand, if you put it in backwards you haven't wrecked your phone.

The 10/10+ doesn't let that happen, thankfully.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't think that has been a problem since the Note 6 (maybe the 7, since it would just blow up).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cardiovorax posted:

It'll come in September or not at all. They aren't delaying it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

You know what would be a really neat function? If i could select a a Movie or TV Show that i don't want to get spoiled on in the loving Google feed!

This and also for sports. If you show even a passing interest you get the latest results front and center. Particularly annoying for watching recorded stuff.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Note typically launches 6 months after the Galaxy S. Back when the Galaxy S launched in March it meant September, last couple of years it has been February Galaxy S/August Note. This year the Galaxy S21 launched in January so if the trend holds the Note should launch in July this year.

Seems a little early in the year for a Note to me, but then again "experts" have been predicting the end of the Note line for about 5 years now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah but now the spen works with the S line

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"Works with"

and

"Designed for"

Are still very different things. Personally, I'm not down to carry around an S-Pen without a built-in way to store it. They're way too small, and way too expensive to lose.

The Note 21/+ are arriving right at my perfect upgrade cycle, so we'll see what happens this year. My 10+ is still a workhorse, though, and I've yet to feel the need to move up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've factory reset my Pixel 3 because it's had a couple hard freezes in the last week. Now, it seems to be stuck at 3 apps restored of 126. How long should I expect to have to wait for this process to complete? It's been about 30 minutes so far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It shouldn't be taking that long to begin with. Considering that you have had hard freezes, it's very possible that there has been a hardware failure and/or a corruption of the system data. If it doesn't move on within another fifteen minutes, you can probably assume that it never will.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cardiovorax posted:

It shouldn't be taking that long to begin with. Considering that you have had hard freezes, it's very possible that there has been a hardware failure and/or a corruption of the system data. If it doesn't move on within another fifteen minutes, you can probably assume that it never will.

Really? It won't take long to download > 100 apps? I'll give it another while, then try resetting again. If that still fails then I guess it's Pixel 5 time for me (yay?).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, sorry, I completely misunderstood you there. I thought you meant restored from the factory data, not downloaded apps. In that case I wouldn't know either. If it doesn't seem to progress at all, storage corruption is still a possibility, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Apps restore finished successfully! Had a couple heart-attack moments when I thought I didn't have 2FA backups, but Authy handled that (with the help of Bitwarden on my laptop).