Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My biggest strength is my quick chat game and my biggest weakness is sometimes I'm too stoned and just hold accelerate down non stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Last week I played some RL high on mushrooms. I was doing really well and making shots I normally wouldn't and all kinds of fancy stuff. Normally I'd just attribute it to just having fun and not actually realizing that I was doing badly, but my sober 3v3 team friends were perplexed why I was suddenly doing really well. Then while we were waiting for a tournament we just did some friendly ol'1v1s between us. They usually go either way between the 3 of us, I don't really care for 1v1s and win maybe 50% normally. I just kept winning and winning against them. My one teammate (and roommate) gets real amped up about 1v1s like it's a true measure of his worth or something, so he hated that suddenly I was smashing him. It's not like I was being toxic or anything I was just having a great time and glad to be playing with my pals.
I'd beat him by like 5 goals, and then he'd come storming into my room where he'd find me like curled up in a ball sideways in my chair like one eye squinting at the screen, which would upset him more haha probably didn't help that I was giggling my dumb face off.

It was odd, l was getting all kinds of visual effects and it was tough to focus on stuff and general "high as poo poo" kind of things, but I had no problem concentrating on the game in motion, and during points of contact with the ball it felt like the game was moving in slow motion.
It was extremely fun and I highly recommend trying it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Never played on mushies, but I swear I play better after a couple of joints. As long as I don't get too high. I think part of it is when you're inebriated the right amount, you don't overthink and just go for stuff that usually you might hesitate with, but still have the mechanical skill to play well.

The problem is that only lasts for a certain amount, then I smoke too many and just go completely to poo poo lol. But I play mainly 1v1 so it's still fun and I'm not loving things up for any teammates.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=empXlXrODRI

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my biggest weakness is sometimes I'm too stoned and just hold accelerate down non stop

extremely same

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
lmao two rounds in a row in heatseeker of people who did NOT know what to do when I spent the whole match terrorising them instead of just sitting back at my own goal with my partner. both of em quit like halfway through

e: make that three in a row. honestly heatseeker matches might be a bit long for how often scoring happens (never mind. just realised it's first to seven)

like seriously, how do people think this mode is supposed to be played?

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 12, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
People who are good: what did you do to get good? I've got like 35 hrs in the game and I'm still pretty bad. What's a good way to rank up? What mechanic is best to focus on? Can I actually get good playing on a Switch? Workshop maps seem pretty useful/important? Cheers

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

morallyobjected posted:

lmao two rounds in a row in heatseeker of people who did NOT know what to do when I spent the whole match terrorising them instead of just sitting back at my own goal with my partner. both of em quit like halfway through

e: make that three in a row. honestly heatseeker matches might be a bit long for how often scoring happens (never mind. just realised it's first to seven)

like seriously, how do people think this mode is supposed to be played?

this is what i started doing and it's hilarious

as soon as i determine that my teammate is at least conscious and isn't going to move forward themselves, harassing at the opponent's goal is incredibly effective. even if you whiff a demolition it seems to freak people out enough to make them flinch which is more than enough

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

People who are good: what did you do to get good? I've got like 35 hrs in the game and I'm still pretty bad. What's a good way to rank up? What mechanic is best to focus on? Can I actually get good playing on a Switch? Workshop maps seem pretty useful/important? Cheers

I don't remember exactly where I was at 35 hours played, but the major things I learned in order were:

-Rotation (you probably have figured this out by now)
-When approaching the ball, jump earlier and use your flip at the last second to do the actual hitting
-Learning To Fly

The switch version should be fine, but you can turn off crossplay if you want.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

wa27 posted:

-Rotation (you probably have figured this out by now)

I have but my teammates have not, so I'm perma-goaltending while they whiff centered balls.

Those Rings map seem so great for practicing flying. Wish we had those. I get a little confused about changing my altitude while I'm rolling.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

A ton of hours, literally. At 35 hours you're still worrying about pointing your car in the right direction and getting any hit on the ball. At that point the best way to get better is literally just play more, and possibly get the pro controller if you're not using it already. At this point I would honestly just worry about hitting the ball and, when possible, not hitting your teammates or getting hit by them. Just booming the ball (hit it right after a bounce with as much speed as you can) past your opponents will do wonders.

Getting good on the Switch, honestly, no. Last time I was able to check I saw like two Switch grand champions, while there's >10,000 on other consoles. There's too much input lag and not a high enough frame rate to really do well. You can definitely get up to platinum or maybe diamond on the Switch, but you'd be able to climb much easier on PC or another console.

Yeah you can't do workshop maps, but at 35 hours the default striker/aerial/keeper training should be challenging. When you can get 10/10 on them without resetting move to the next difficulty of training. After that there's plenty of custom training, though most of it is geared towards higher level players.

Having said all this, what rank are you currently in 2s and 3s? I'm sort of expecting bronze or silver based on what you've said so far.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I placed into Gold 3, I lost three games in a row and it dropped me to Silver 3. Now I've played several more games and am sitting in Gold 1 (don't know why losses cratered me to Silver 3 so quickly (literally G3, G2, S3) and wins move me up one division but whatever?).

Edit: 35 hours is as per "time played" - I have no way of knowing how many hours I've played over that on just grinding training, which I've played a nutty amount of.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 12, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I placed into Gold 3, I lost three games in a row and it dropped me to Silver 3. Now I've played several more games and am sitting in Gold 1 (don't know why losses cratered me to Silver 3 so quickly (literally G3, G2, S3) and wins move me up one division but whatever?).

Edit: 35 hours is as per "time played" - I have no way of knowing how many hours I've played over that on just grinding training, which I've played a nutty amount of.

The first 20 games of a playlist (including the 10 original placement matches) move you much quicker, after that it tails off and each game moves you less and less. So if you lost and then won around that 20 game mark that is exactly what you'd see. After you settle down it'll be 3-4 games to move up a division.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The best training I found when starting out was Ariel All-Star, but just waiting for the ball to touch ground and focusing on hitting it as hard as you loving can.

Once you can reliably hit it off the bounce you can start practicing aiming it to the goal, or the walls like a defensive clear, or wherever you want.

I'm not good at this game but that drill alone helped a lot, and I still routinely do it as a warmup if I haven't played in a while.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

You can get to G3-Plat1 just by hitting the ball really hard with some accuracy. I got a tip on here about that. If you go into the pro aerial training and instead of flying, try to time hitting the ball right as it's bouncing off the ground. You need to get the timing such that the start of your flip hits the ball with your bumper. I found I make a micro adjustment where my first jump has me pulling back on the stick just a little bit to point the nose up ever so slightly so that my flip ends up making bumper contact instead of hood.

Rotations in soloQ just aren't happening until diamond or so, so you'll climb fast just by clearing the ball hard, trusting that your teammates can make their shots (they'll miss a ton, but you're better off trusting than trying to one-man dominate), and avoiding double-commits.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

pik_d posted:

3-4 games to move up a division.

Ranked modes in game is always such a snail's pace it's really demotivating. I don't know why they design around people who can play a game as if it's a part-time job instead of normal people. Oh well, I'll climb best I can but sheesh.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
it makes a lot more sense this way, otherwise if you go on a bad losing streak do you really want to go from plat to silver after getting hammered and playing 8 games

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Shifting up or down one division per game seems right. If you're hammered you should be prepared to lose and take that? If you lose 8 games in a row sober and doing your best you're probably not getting unlucky with teammates. Anyway I understand it's very Old Man Yells at Cloud Time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Personally, I play with buddies that are higher ranked than me, but I've gotten better over a few months and can hang with them in ranked (even though I can't seem to hit their rank)

A few of them did private matches with me to coach me a bit.

One told me to check out some rocket league videos on youtube and I've watched a ton, some have been very instructive. I sometimes watch 3 rocket league videos a day.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ranked modes in game is always such a snail's pace it's really demotivating. I don't know why they design around people who can play a game as if it's a part-time job instead of normal people. Oh well, I'll climb best I can but sheesh.

The problem is that they have to fit the ranks to the distribution. MMR is MMR, everyone gains and loses it the same and so a normal bell curve distribution forms how it will. THEN they put a rank system over that, not the other way around. If they did it one game per division they'd have to have 30 ranks instead of 8.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
a 5 game win streak in 3's would take you from silver 3 to plat 2, passing 50% of the entire player base

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

JawnV6 posted:

a 5 game win streak in 3's would take you from silver 3 to plat 2, passing 50% of the entire player base

That's 5 ranks, not 5 divisions. 5 games would take you from Silver 3 div 4 to gold 2 div 1.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

pik_d posted:

That's 5 ranks, not 5 divisions. 5 games would take you from Silver 3 div 4 to gold 2 div 1.

Okay that's one div per win, not the 3-4 games per div pik_d said... if that's the case I'm perfectly fine with it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wait i replied to pik_d lmao... what is the truth!?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

what is the truth!?
...we all suck at rocket league?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wait i replied to pik_d lmao... what is the truth!?

Gold 1 to Gold 2 is one rank, Gold 1 div 1 to Gold 1 div 2 is one division.

JawnV6 confused this, I was correcting his math.

Each rank is around 60 points in the lower ranks (Gold and below), 80 points in plat/diamond, 100 points in champ/low GC, and 120 points in high GC. Each division is a quarter of that, so what I said earlier isn't exactly correct. When you get to the point where you're winning losing 8 points per game, at low ranks it should be about 2 wins/div, while at the highest rank it is about 5 wins/div.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 13, 2021

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The system works fine, it's just unsteady at the start because until the system has a decent record of games to judge you on, you gain and lose extra ranked points per game because it's trying to give you a boost in either direction to try and get you near to where you should be. So of course sequential wins are going to power you through the ranks because the game kinda skips you up to the next rank or drops you down to the previous one. I think there's also an amplifier effect like this for win streaks so for example top-level players don't get stuck wrecking thirty Champ level games, which would be worse for both them and the other players in their games.

Once you're set and at that level, all you need to think about is that on average, whether you're Champ or Silver, if you win the same amount of games that you lose you'll end up close to where you started. MMR points, divisions, it doesn't really change that if you're looking to rank up you've just got to do it one game at a time. If you want the stats for nerds, they're out there and you can use stat tracking sites like RL Tracker to see what your numbers are, and click around to see where the different rank boundaries are.

You can go into the options and disable the divisions option so you only get alerts for changing your actual rank, if seeing promotion/relegation messages for individual ranks actually matters to you.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I'm coming back to the game on Steam after a long time away. It was a nice surprise to see that all of my old nintendo switch items got merged with my steam account. I feel pretty set on cosmetics, but after playing enough rounds I can't help but want a fennec. The last time I played was still during the loot box era. What's the best way to go about getting a regular fennec body? I have a black painted ion boost that I wouldn't mind trading for it, they both look to be around 1k credit value.

edit: I found that I had like 500 blueprints to reveal. Kind of fun to pop all of them, even if I'm not really getting the item.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 13, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mongoose posted:

I'm coming back to the game on Steam after a long time away. It was a nice surprise to see that all of my old nintendo switch items got merged with my steam account. I feel pretty set on cosmetics, but after playing enough rounds I can't help but want a fennec. The last time I played was still during the loot box era. What's the best way to go about getting a regular fennec body? I have a black painted ion boost that I wouldn't mind trading for it, they both look to be around 1k credit value.

edit: I found that I had like 500 blueprints to reveal. Kind of fun to pop all of them, even if I'm not really getting the item.

The Fennec costs 500 to reveal from a blueprint, so if you have a blueprint of one don't spend 1000 on buying one.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Won my first tournament last night! I had reached the semi finals quite a few times, but always got stomped by a good team, or had a teammate drop out making it a lost cause. Found two other randoms that worked together naturally. One guy basically played goalkeeper and was amazing at it.

I'm stuck at Gold level in all three competitive levels, mainly playing 2s, but at least I feel competitive and I'm getting better. An improvement I've noticed in myself lately is recognising when I might be too late to challenge the ball, but I can bump an opposition car which is equally as effective to save a goal.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Anyone got any vids for teaching me how to do that spinning thing while doing aerials? I've seen people do it, and it seems like they're just doing random spinning all over the place while doing aerials, but I guess it gives them more angular momentum or more control while flying? seems like you'd have more control not just spinning all the time

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

hey mom its 420 posted:

Anyone got any vids for teaching me how to do that spinning thing while doing aerials? I've seen people do it, and it seems like they're just doing random spinning all over the place while doing aerials, but I guess it gives them more angular momentum or more control while flying? seems like you'd have more control not just spinning all the time

Spinning while aerialing has a bunch of really subtle effects like reduced car recoil, easier recoveries onto walls and additional power on otherwise soft touches but it's only approaching GC where that stuff matters and where people have the control to actually pull it off. If you see people doing that at low ranks they're just making things way more difficult for themselves for no reason other than to look cool.

My advice would be to keep learning how to fly right side up for a long time still, then as you're getting into the higher ranks start learning how to fly backwards/sideways. Once you're equally confident with aerials in any orientation then you'll just naturally be able to spin effectively.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Got it. With games like these I find that just getting really good at the basics is the best approach. I looked up how to do tornado spins and I can pull them off and they sometimes come in handy, although I don't use them most of the time. But the spins other people do aren't always tornado spins but just seem like random spinning and boost feathering.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I found this video quite good for explaining why people are air rolling while they aerial. It sounds daft but it's a lot easier to turn left and right in the air accurately while spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiqp1t7eFs8

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Windmill Hut posted:

Won my first tournament last night! I had reached the semi finals quite a few times, but always got stomped by a good team, or had a teammate drop out making it a lost cause. Found two other randoms that worked together naturally. One guy basically played goalkeeper and was amazing at it.

I'm stuck at Gold level in all three competitive levels, mainly playing 2s, but at least I feel competitive and I'm getting better. An improvement I've noticed in myself lately is recognising when I might be too late to challenge the ball, but I can bump an opposition car which is equally as effective to save a goal.

Join the Discord. Hang out in the LFG/we channel and you'll get people to play with, sometimes they'll be your rank and you can do competitive or whatever, or they'll be higher and you'll play casual or if they don't care about their rank competitive there as well. Either way, you'll learn stuff. Every once in a while a goon/goon gets set up, a private match with username goon password goon. There you'll get stomped by champs and higher but, you'll learn fast.

There are also channels with tips on getting good, links to videos, people who will go over your replays and point out mistakes your making, things you should work on. It's fun.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Windmill Hut posted:

at that level, there are still probably a ton of people who won't know what to do if you get decent at opportunistic demolitions/ramming anyway

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

hey mom its 420 posted:

The way that fluump practiced it in this video was how I somewhat learned. Still tough to do in game but I can at least get through most aerial workshop maps while spinning the whole time, albiet not very quickly. I'd definitely recommend trying to get through that workshop map that he shows, if you can do regular aerials it's really not all that hard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2pqI9SJ-kg

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
haven't played since the EGS buyout, i did five of my ten placement matches for comp 3's. confused that they removed solo standard but that was just a massive salt factory anyways

i'm a low diamond keyboard and mouse player, i'm terrible at aerials but at least i can occasionally hit the ball in the air.

anywho, on placement match five, myself and a teammate were attacking, they cleared the ball to mid and i glance back at our teammate who wiffed a slow-moving ball and let it roll into our goal. they voted forfeit 15 seconds into the match, 2/3 voted for, i abstained

i scored two solo goals in the next 40 seconds, one off a kickoff and one off a self-pass. we were up 2-1. i voted forfeit because lol, and the other two went for it.

i'm glad this game hasn't changed.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

haven't played since the EGS buyout, i did five of my ten placement matches for comp 3's. confused that they removed solo standard but that was just a massive salt factory anyways

i'm a low diamond keyboard and mouse player, i'm terrible at aerials but at least i can occasionally hit the ball in the air.

anywho, on placement match five, myself and a teammate were attacking, they cleared the ball to mid and i glance back at our teammate who wiffed a slow-moving ball and let it roll into our goal. they voted forfeit 15 seconds into the match, 2/3 voted for, i abstained

i scored two solo goals in the next 40 seconds, one off a kickoff and one off a self-pass. we were up 2-1. i voted forfeit because lol, and the other two went for it.

i'm glad this game hasn't changed.

I think they removed solo standard before the Epic buyout, even, for that very reason.

I didn't think you could vote for a forfeit anymore until two minutes into the match. at least I certainly can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

morallyobjected posted:

I think they removed solo standard before the Epic buyout, even, for that very reason.

I didn't think you could vote for a forfeit anymore until two minutes into the match. at least I certainly can't.

Its 90 seconds, Frida Call Me's timeline is just off by a little bit.