Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was just trying to remember this movie because I liked it as a kid.
Same. Also, I had the illustrated book, which I thought came first, but turns out it was based on the screenplay and didn't credit the writer lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite line in Pagemaster is when Fantasy and Adventure are hiding out in the cave from the dragon and you just hear this from outside:

Adventure: "So... how'd you like to curl up with a good book? ;) *promptly gets slapped*"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Since Pratchett was mentioned, I can't help but think of his comment on using multiple exclamation marks and what it means for one's sanity.

Five is truly "lost his marbles" territory

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

See also:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SheRatesDogs/status/1359952332109144065

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
No love for Worst Witch, another magic school property that predated Harry Potter, but with Tim Curry singing a truely terrible song in what was probably the most phone-in performance of his life?

The whole Harry Potter isn't original thing is dumb anyway. Its' just a bunch of people acting like Rowling was a plagiarist when she was overtly writing a genre mashup in full light of the tropes and conventions of those genres. Books of Magic is like HP in the way the the Dark is Rising or Narnia is like HP, in that its all very British children's fantasy books where a chosen kid/chosen kids journey into a magical realm. Smash that together with a British boarding school novel, and you have Harry Potter.

Sugar mouse :mad:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Harry Potter is just ripping off Gunnerkrigg Court

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

there wolf posted:

No love for Worst Witch, another magic school property that predated Harry Potter, but with Tim Curry singing a truely terrible song in what was probably the most phone-in performance of his life?

The whole Harry Potter isn't original thing is dumb anyway. Its' just a bunch of people acting like Rowling was a plagiarist when she was overtly writing a genre mashup in full light of the tropes and conventions of those genres. Books of Magic is like HP in the way the the Dark is Rising or Narnia is like HP, in that its all very British children's fantasy books where a chosen kid/chosen kids journey into a magical realm. Smash that together with a British boarding school novel, and you have Harry Potter.

Sugar mouse :mad:

The movie is based on a book series, I haven't read it but I assume it's better than the film.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Literally a Jeff Foxworthy joke.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

there wolf posted:

literally two posts up

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/BM7991/status/1360047494877634564?s=19

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

there wolf posted:

quote:

Fans send Rowling wands and quills by the bushel, but she admits, a bit shamefacedly, that she never actually uses them and that the wands go straight to her oldest daughter, Jessica. The most popular living fantasy writer in the world doesn't even especially like fantasy novels. It wasn't until after Sorcerer's Stone was published that it even occurred to her that she had written one. "That's the honest truth," she says. "You know, the unicorns were in there. There was the castle, God knows. But I really had not thought that that's what I was doing. And I think maybe the reason that it didn't occur to me is that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy." Rowling has never finished The Lord of the Rings. She hasn't even read all of C.S. Lewis' Narnia novels, which her books get compared to a lot. There's something about Lewis' sentimentality about children that gets on her nerves. "There comes a point where Susan, who was the older girl, is lost to Narnia because she becomes interested in lipstick. She's become irreligious basically because she found sex," Rowling says. "I have a big problem with that."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That Susan thing, Neil Gaiman actually wrote a short story about that. Which makes the books of magick thing an even funnier thing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

why does lipstick imply sex to this lady? The became irreligious because she "grew up" and saw it as a thing for children. I don't remember anything about loving in that book.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Midnight Voyager posted:

why does lipstick imply sex to this lady? The became irreligious because she "grew up" and saw it as a thing for children. I don't remember anything about loving in that book.

Young girls using makeup to attract boys, and all the gross implications that lie down that road.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
J.K. Rowling has lots of hangups about sex and sexuality (to say the least) but given how incredibly Christian C.S. Lewis was I'm not sure she's wrong about Narnia. Then again I've read neither so...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The bit about Susan in The Latst Battle doesn't explicitly mention sex as the thing keeping Susan out of Narnia, but it is a very ugly final description of a character who was solid and likeable in the other books, and stronly suggests that parties, lipstick and nylons are incompatible with being a Good Christian. For those who haven't read the books, the rest of Susan's family - parents and all her siblings end up going to Aslan the lion's magical country.
In Susan's world, this means they all die in a terrible train crash, leaving her entirely alone at the age of about 20.

quote:

Sire,' said Tirian, when he had greeted all these, 'if I have read the chronicles aright, there should be another. Has not your Majesty two sisters? Where is Queen Susan?'

'My sister Susan,' answered Peter shortly and gravely, 'is no longer a friend of Narnia.'

'Yes,' said Eustace, 'and whenever you've tried to get her to come and talk about Narnia or do anything about Narnia, she says, "What wonderful memories you have! Fancy your still thinking about all those funny games we used to play when we were children.'

'Oh, Susan!' said Jill. 'She's interested in nothing nowadays except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up.'

'Grown-up indeed,' said the Lady Polly. 'I wish she would grow up. She wasted all her school time wanting to be the age she is now, and she'll waste all the rest of her life trying to stay that age. Her whole idea is to race on to the silliest time of one's life as quick as she can and then stop there as long as she can.'

At it occurs to me that Edmund, her brother was even more dismissive about Narnia back at the start of the series, and did far worse stuff than going to a drat party, and he isn't excluded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely fitting as a metaphor for heaven, then.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Always read it less as "SEX" and more as "departing from childhood" -- childhood being a required condition for entry into Narnia.

Granted: I was a child when I read the series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"Nylons and lipstick" are rather sexualized indicators of exiting childhood, though. If I'm told that somebody can't get into Narnia because now they're only concerned about paying bills and getting promoted, I'm gonna assume it's because they've lost their imagination or sense of childlike wonder or whatnot. But if you tell me it's because now she cares about nylons and lipstick, I'm gonna assume it's "she's had sex and now she's a ruined woman" type bullshit.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I totally forgot it got rebranded to sorcerers stone in the US

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Lewis's book Surprised By Joy talks about his school life in a way that sheds a lot of light on that bit about Susan:

quote:

But the essential evil of public school life, as I see it, did not lie either in the sufferings of the [kids who had to do all the work] or in the privileged arrogance of the Bloods. These were symptoms of something more all-pervasive, something which, in the long run, did most harm to the boys who succeeded best at school and were happiest there. Spiritually speaking, the deadly thing was that school life was a life almost wholly dominated by the social struggle; to get on, to arrive, or, having reached the top, to remain there, was the absorbing preoccupation. It is often, of course, the preoccupation of adult life as well; but I have not yet seen any adult society in which the surrender to this impulse was so total. And from it, at school as in the world, all sorts of meanness flow; the sycophancy that courts those higher in the scale, the cultivation of those whom it is well to know, the speedy abandonment of friendships that will not help on the upward path, the readiness to join the cry against the unpopular, the secret motive in almost every action. The Wyvernians seem to me in retrospect to have been the least spontaneous, in that sense the least boyish, society I have ever known. It would perhaps not be too much to say that in some boys’ lives everything was calculated to the great end of advancement. For this games were played; for this clothes, friends, amusements, and vices were chosen.

And that is why I cannot give pederasty anything like a first place among the evils of the Coll. There is much hypocrisy on this theme. People commonly talk as if every other evil were more tolerable than this. But why? Because those of us who do not share the vice feel for it a certain nausea, as we do, say, for necrophily? I think that of very little relevance to moral judgement. Because it produces permanent perversion? But there is very little evidence that it does. The Bloods would have preferred girls to boys if they could have come by them; when, at a later age, girls were obtainable, they probably took them. Is it then on Christian grounds? But how many of those who fulminate on the matter are in fact Christians? And what Christian, in a society so worldly and cruel as that of Wyvern, would pick out the carnal sins for special reprobation? Cruelty is surely more evil than lust and the World at least as dangerous as the Flesh. The real reason for all the pother is, in my opinion, neither Christian nor ethical. We attack this vice not because it is the worst but because it is, by adult standards, the most disreputable and unmentionable, and happens also to be a crime in English law. The World will lead you only to Hell; but sodomy may lead you to jail and create a scandal, and lose you your job. The World, to do it justice, seldom does that.

Keeping in that second paragraph because it's one of the places where he is surprisingly chill about sex. Which isn't to say that it's not messed up that Susan gets left out, but that it may be more about the "invitations" part.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Khizan posted:

"Nylons and lipstick" are rather sexualized indicators of exiting childhood, though. If I'm told that somebody can't get into Narnia because now they're only concerned about paying bills and getting promoted, I'm gonna assume it's because they've lost their imagination or sense of childlike wonder or whatnot. But if you tell me it's because now she cares about nylons and lipstick, I'm gonna assume it's "she's had sex and now she's a ruined woman" type bullshit.
i'm not going to pretend that C.S. Lewis wasn't a regressive Christian apologist

but it's not "Susan is portrayed as too preoccupied with lipstick and nylons", that's how she's described by other characters.

The following are the only three times Susan is mentioned in The Last Battle (seventh and final book), and I have cut nothing from between the mentions:

quote:

"Sir," said Tirian, when he had greeted all these. "If I have read the chronicles aright, there should be another. Has not your Majesty two sisters? Where is Queen Susan?"

"My sister Susan," answered Peter shortly and gravely, "is no longer a friend of Narnia."

"Yes," said Eustace, "and whenever you've tried to get her to come and talk about Narnia or do anything about Narnia, she says 'What wonderful memories you have! Fancy your still thinking about all those funny games we used to play when we were children.'"

"Oh Susan!" said Jill, "she's interested in nothing now-a-days except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly sight too keen on being grown-up."

that's the actual text

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The movie is based on a book series, I haven't read it but I assume it's better than the film.

Haven't seen the film but I grew up reading the books and they're delightful.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Good lord I completely forgot that Bioshock Infinite pulled the hardest "both sides!"ism turn I've ever seen in a video game.
They bent over backwards to prove that the people fighting racism were just as bad, somehow.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vib Rib posted:

Good lord I completely forgot that Bioshock Infinite pulled the hardest "both sides!"ism turn I've ever seen in a video game.
They bent over backwards to prove that the people fighting racism were just as bad, somehow.

In this instance Bioshock Infinite seems like someone who has read a great deal but not actually listened to a drat thing said.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Vib Rib posted:

IIRC they tried to walk it back with some DLC where they revealed that Daisy kidnapped and threatened to kill the bad guy's kid knowing it'd get her killed, because she got told by the time traveling twins that she needed to help Elizabeth become strong enough to stop the bad guy by becoming capable of killing, and she was actually sacrificing herself for the greater good.

I don't know why they thought that made it any better.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pyrotoad posted:

IIRC they tried to walk it back with some DLC where they revealed that Daisy kidnapped and threatened to kill the bad guy's kid knowing it'd get her killed, because she got told by the time traveling twins that she needed to help Elizabeth become strong enough to stop the bad guy by becoming capable of killing, and she was actually sacrificing herself for the greater good.

I don't know why they thought that made it any better.
"Throw your life down for a white woman and help her become strong by killing you"?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is an idiot literally on* social media. Read the replies!

https://twitter.com/SadietheJ/status/1359089308293083136

* meaning about

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

A tshirt that reads "I got a mortgage from the bank and now all I got is this lousy old cupboard."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Addictive social media apps such as Photoshop and Uber

e: f;b by the replies I assumed were stupid for a different reason

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is an idiot literally on* social media. Read the replies!

https://twitter.com/SadietheJ/status/1359089308293083136

* meaning about

I love that the image uses a Commodore logo.

I do own a Commodore 64 but I didn't think it was as influential as Facebook these days.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I’m the assumption that anyone socializes through LinkedIn

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Addictive social media apps such as Photoshop and Uber

e: f;b by the replies I assumed were stupid for a different reason

I’m the guy who’s addicted to Venmo and talking on the phone

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think that phone one is WhatsApp?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lobsterminator posted:

I love that the image uses a Commodore logo.

I do own a Commodore 64 but I didn't think it was as influential as Facebook these days.

where are you seeing a C64 logo in that image? are you getting it confused with noted not-social-media-app Uber's logo on the left?

e: VVVVVV oh jesus lol VVVV

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Feb 12, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

where are you seeing a C64 logo in that image? are you getting it confused with noted not-social-media-app Uber's logo on the left?

In Carano’s image,not the reply

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1360250437228716034?s=20

If I was being investigated by the FBI for being an insurrectionist, I would simply not publicly threaten the woman I thought turned me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: VVVVVV oh jesus lol VVVV

I know my Commodore logo. This is how I browse SA.

E: Good thing this thread was accessible without logging in. Typing in my super long generated password would have been a problem.