Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Is he the one that eventually had to go by 'TV's Wrestling Clown?'

That's funny because I still see him advertised on local fliers as, "WWE Hall of Famer Doink the Clown"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
whats the story behind this, i guess i could start with "Inoki is insane" but still

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1141261958194372608

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lid posted:

i guess i could start with "Inoki is insane" but still
I have no idea either, but it probably ends the same.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

whats the story behind this, i guess i could start with "Inoki is insane" but still

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1141261958194372608

My memory is hazy & I heard it 3rd hand or whatever but what I remember reading/hearing is that Inoki really just thought the match stunk. Which...it's IGF, there were no shortage of stinkers (this was on a show where Inoki also had Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima tagging against Bobby Lashley & Hurricane Helms? Kendo Kashin vs Carlito? Go Shiozaki vs forgettable shootstyle guy Atsushi Sawada? Weird company with no real sense of identity). But for whatever reason Inoki threw a tantrum during this match, I guess it was bad in the wrong way?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Didn't Vince once march out to the ring and bring whoever was wrestling to the back during a SmackDown taping because the match was so bad?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/panda4bernie/status/1359583061797724165

1. Stan Lane probably has a sea of kids across the country
2. I actually want to hear Cornette talk about this

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
2021 keeps on delivering

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

TL posted:

Didn't Vince once march out to the ring and bring whoever was wrestling to the back during a SmackDown taping because the match was so bad?

Not exactly the same, but I definitely saw Sin Cara and Heath Slater wrestle the same lovely match about three times in a row years ago. Recently I saw a Botchamania where Slater talks about it, turns out it was Vince stopping them in gorilla and sending them out to do it again.

Here’s a link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNGbHuMfL4

Starts at about 11:20.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TL posted:

there was this too

At a live event in 2003, Vince McMahon stopped a match between Tajiri and Rhyno while Rhyno had Tajiri in a headlock. This was not planned, and neither Tajiri nor Rhyno knew anything about it. McMahon called the match “boring” and then proceeded to go to the next segment, which was a bikini contest. I asked about the incident in an interview I conducted with Rhyno in 2012.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BORE BORE BORE

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

oldpainless posted:

BORE BORE BORE

“Before the match, [Vince] goes ‘You can’t make any mistakes.’ That’s when he was going on the loops, right, the house show loop with New York and stuff,” Rhyno recalled. “In ECW, if they start chanting ‘BORING’, you just work out of it and go into something and do whatever. I was told by an agent — and I’m not revealing any names because I don’t believe in that — that if you go into a hold and they start chanting boring just to sit on it. So, I snap-mare and we didn’t call anything but Tajiri was all about calling stuff.

“So, I think he just got nervous. So, they were chanting boring. So, obviously, they’re watching the match, right? So, I go, you want to see boring? [I] locked that reverse chin lock in and did it three times. Anyway, I thought Vince was working because I couldn’t really hear him when he was talking. I couldn’t really hear because of the way that the speakers are set up.

“Before that show, [Vince] was like ‘You can’t make a mistake out there.’ So, I’m thinking, oh, he wants to get involved in the match or something to see how we’d work on our feet and adlib and stuff like that. [Laughs.] So, I’m like ‘What are you going to do? Fire me?’ And I’m staring in the middle of the ring and the referee goes ‘I think he’s serious.’ I’m like ‘Serious about what? I can’t hear him.’ So, Vince talks to me and says ‘Tajiri’s going to drop kick you and go to the back.'”

Rhyno noted that he spoke to Vince after the match, who was pretty blunt about the situation.

“So, I talk to Vince afterwards and he says ‘If they’re chanting boring, they’re bored.’ You can’t argue with the guy when he comes back with an answer like that. And I understand what the agents told me. So I said, ‘Well, one of your agents told me that if they’re chanting boring, just sit on the hold. At least I had Tajiri stand up and kicked him.’ He’s like, ‘Well, obviously, that agent wasn’t a top guy. Top guys save their money, they don’t need to work and they don’t become agents.’ Nowadays, you’ve got some guys that have really done some serious money and are agents and stuff. But, there was no arguing.

“So, a lot of people online were upset and all that with how Vince handled that. But, I actually got a really good pay off, too. I think [Vince] felt bad because I did get a really good paycheck for that match. I was like, s–t, I wish he would have came out after the first reverse chin lock. [Laughs.] It was actually a pretty good house, too. But, I got a little bit more I think.”

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Lid posted:

‘Well, obviously, that agent wasn’t a top guy. Top guys save their money, they don’t need to work and they don’t become agents.’

all my agents are fuckin morons said the man who hires said morons

mick foley focused an entire gimmick around that spot and had people spitting on him so it absolutely works and vince is a disphit

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I ended up watching the trailer for Italian Spiderman again and from the comments discovered the viollain is wearing is wearing the mask of Mascara Sagrada.

Now the question

While reading his Luchas de Apuestas record in 2001 he had a hair vs hair match against Fishman Jr, and lost.

Except both were still masked and their masks were not on the line.

Is this the most useless Luchas de Apuestas match in history? How did they cut off the hair without cutting off the mask? Does evidence of this match exists?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Critical posted:

all my agents are fuckin morons said the man who hires said morons

mick foley focused an entire gimmick around that spot and had people spitting on him so it absolutely works and vince is a disphit

It worked for Foley doing his thing in ecw in the 90’s so actually the proper response to a crowd chanting boring is to double down on the rest hold.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Dusty did apparently call Dustin literally every day when he was getting off drugs to make sure his rehab was working out

I'm not aware of a rehab where you can call people whenever but I guess it could be different for rich people? We got like once a week and that's pretty standard as far as I can tell

Unless you mean like once he was out of rehab

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sandman McMahon posted:

It worked for Foley doing his thing in ecw in the 90’s so actually the proper response to a crowd chanting boring is to double down on the rest hold.
WWE as a whole has been working on this basis for 5 years and they’re richer than they’ve ever been

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

LionYeti posted:

So I love so bad its hilarious stuff. What are some really bad matches that go all the way around and become amazing. I'd prefer not heroes of wrestling/old guy lucha matches where the participants can barely move and it makes the viewer sad.

Check out the Bad Wrestling podcast, any show they cover would be right up your alley. MRT was on the episode about SSW (and it ruled).

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TL posted:

Scott Hall's talked about Vince doing that to Macho Man and Flair back in the 90s, too.

forkboy84 posted:

My memory is hazy & I heard it 3rd hand or whatever but what I remember reading/hearing is that Inoki really just thought the match stunk. Which...it's IGF, there were no shortage of stinkers (this was on a show where Inoki also had Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima tagging against Bobby Lashley & Hurricane Helms? Kendo Kashin vs Carlito? Go Shiozaki vs forgettable shootstyle guy Atsushi Sawada? Weird company with no real sense of identity). But for whatever reason Inoki threw a tantrum during this match, I guess it was bad in the wrong way?

Didn't IGF have a three-way match with RVD, Kendo Ka Shin, and Necro Butcher once?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sandman McMahon posted:

It worked in ECW because the crowd wanted Foley to do hardcore poo poo. The same gimmick wouldn't work in WWE.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Didn't IGF have a three-way match with RVD, Kendo Ka Shin, and Necro Butcher once?

This sounds like the craziest combination of talents possible, I mean aside from like Daniel Bryan vs Kamala

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CombineThresher posted:

Yup, on a card headlined by Josh Barnett beating Tank Abbott in under 5 minutes. Or how about IGF Genome3 which had Travis Tomko beating Battlarts legend (& more important for Inoki, Pride fighter) Alexander Otsuka, Booker T vs Tajiri & then Naoya Ogawa losing to Josh Barnett only to have an immediate rematch & beat Josh Barnett. Or Genome27, headlined by a ten man elimination tag with Atsushi Sawada, Bobby Lashley, Bob Sapp, Kazuyuki Fujita & Shinichi Suzukawa vs. Hideki Suzuki, Hiromi Amada, Naoya Ogawa, Peter Aerts, Shogun Okamoto, only to end after 30 minutes in a no contest!

There are few things more fascinating than witnessing unfiltered Inokism. It's not often actually good but you can't look away. I could lose an entire day just staring slackjawed at their event lineups on Cagematch

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
does anyone know how/why CM Punk got a developmental contract for WWE? Was there someone in the office vouching for him? what's the story here? I know the summer of punk and all but that seems like something they wouldn't give a poo poo about.

who would have even been signing people to developmental contracts back then? Laurinaitis?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Man, IGF sounds wild. Can someone give a brief rundown of it's history?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Low Desert Punk posted:

does anyone know how/why CM Punk got a developmental contract for WWE? Was there someone in the office vouching for him? what's the story here? I know the summer of punk and all but that seems like something they wouldn't give a poo poo about.

who would have even been signing people to developmental contracts back then? Laurinaitis?

Funnily enough, the Summer of Punk happened AFTER he was offered a WWE contract.

it seems like he did a tryout match against Val Venis of all people in May 2005 and was offered a developmental contract off the back of that. The match is on Youtube and it's actually not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHiajPlPXNg. He then used the contract with WWE as part of the heel turn in his ROH title run that became the "summer of Punk" with the threat being that he was going to take the ROH title to WWE with him without defending it on the way out.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Yup, on a card headlined by Josh Barnett beating Tank Abbott in under 5 minutes. Or how about IGF Genome3 which had Travis Tomko beating Battlarts legend (& more important for Inoki, Pride fighter) Alexander Otsuka, Booker T vs Tajiri & then Naoya Ogawa losing to Josh Barnett only to have an immediate rematch & beat Josh Barnett. Or Genome27, headlined by a ten man elimination tag with Atsushi Sawada, Bobby Lashley, Bob Sapp, Kazuyuki Fujita & Shinichi Suzukawa vs. Hideki Suzuki, Hiromi Amada, Naoya Ogawa, Peter Aerts, Shogun Okamoto, only to end after 30 minutes in a no contest!

There are few things more fascinating than witnessing unfiltered Inokism. It's not often actually good but you can't look away. I could lose an entire day just staring slackjawed at their event lineups on Cagematch

Lmfao I love it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

WWE had been courting Punk, Joe and Bryan off and on but they were originally not interested because developmental pay was $500 per week and they made more than that. Foley became a big proponent of hiring Punk and Joe for a Mania angle, but WWE wasn't interested. Punk started doing more tryouts during this period, and signed with WWE while Joe signed with TNA and Bryan stayed independent.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

WWE had been courting Punk, Joe and Bryan off and on but they were originally not interested because developmental pay was $500 per week and they made more than that. Foley became a big proponent of hiring Punk and Joe for a Mania angle, but WWE wasn't interested. Punk started doing more tryouts during this period, and signed with WWE while Joe signed with TNA and Bryan stayed independent.

Bryan was branching out and doing NOAH shows during that time wasn't he? Specifically with KENTA?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Bryan was branching out and doing NOAH shows during that time wasn't he? Specifically with KENTA?

No, ROH was in a messy partnership with New Japan while this was going down, the NOAH partnership came about a few months later.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Davros1 posted:

It worked in ECW because the crowd wanted Foley to do hardcore poo poo. The same gimmick wouldn't work in WWE.

Tbf, they tapped into it pretty well at the second One Night Stand show, where they rehashed Foley's anti-hardcore gimmick for the ECW diehards in attendance and intentionally got a hilarious amount of heel heat for him pulling Mr Socko out. I think TNA tried to copy this when they did one of their own ECW throwbacks, but didn't get that it was supposed to be ironic so it sucked.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok. Yeah I remember the Dragon Gate thing was around 2006 but I'm a little fuzzy on the rest of the Japan partnerships

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ah ok. Yeah I remember the Dragon Gate thing was around 2006 but I'm a little fuzzy on the rest of the Japan partnerships

They were all jazzed up for this New Japan partnership. They brought in Liger in late 2004 and then hosted The Best of the American Super Juniors in spring of 2005. The fans were excited since the winner would go into the BOSJ! Except the tournament was won by Dragon Soldier B, who was Kendo Kashin who stinks and the tournament stunk so the fans got pissed.

Dragon Gate and NOAH partnerships started in the fall, but the first show with DG talent was only OK, it didn't really kick off until they brought in all of the guys for the 2006 Mania Tripleshot and they could do wild multi mans.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Aesop Poprock posted:

This sounds like the craziest combination of talents possible, I mean aside from like Daniel Bryan vs Kamala

DBry v. Kamala ruled, mostly because it was less about wrestling and more about Prince Nana's shenanigans.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man I wish I'd been able able to see Liger more often. I got to see him vs Omega in 2011 in Philly when NJPW was doing a US tour but that was it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

DBry v. Kamala ruled, mostly because it was less about wrestling and more about Prince Nana's shenanigans.

Prince Nana might possibly be my favorite manager of all time

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/panda4bernie/status/1359583061797724165

1. Stan Lane probably has a sea of kids across the country
2. I actually want to hear Cornette talk about this

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1360196320791773185

I know, but a guy who lives on the road, who Cornette has mentioned had women in his hotel room every night...

Edit:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1360139219168018432

ho ho! Paging davidbix

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Wow Corny that's super weird how Stan never once brought up loving his cousin. So so super weird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Can we keep the Cornette poo poo in the Cornette thread, Stan is already being discussed in the social media thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mob posted:

Wow Corny that's super weird how Stan never once brought up loving his cousin. So so super weird.

Honestly, in that era? It kind of is.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, in that era? It kind of is.

Every wrestler from the 1900-at least the mid 1990s have hosed underage fans and their own relatives. It's not exactly a wholesome business and most people involved in it were at least scumbags if they weren't literally selling people as sex slaves