Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Dakha posted:

(Edit: this was addressed to XMNN) I’m not sure that covid to zero minimises lockdown harm though, quite the opposite?

Whether lockdown harm is a reasonable trade off vs covid harm is a different (and totally reasonable) question though. Sounds like you’re saying you’d accept any amount of lockdown pain over a single additional covid death?

Myself I’m in favour of a more balanced approach, e.g. let’s get a bit further down the list then consider opening up. I have a friend with MS who isn’t eligible for another couple of categories, I hope we don’t open up before they are protected. But I’m encouraged by the numbers coming out of Israel, sounds like maybe the NHS could handle some amount of covid if the majority of the population are safe. It’s how we live our lives with winter flu etc right?

Just as an FYI on the Israel thing: most of the (Israeli) population is vaccinated iirc, and vaccines are now open to anyone over 16 who wants one - all the vulnerable people have basically already had it, and they've still not fully reopened yet. If that's the example you want to follow, we're going to be in lockdown for a while yet.

In fact last I checked Israel is basically still under full lockdown.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

What the gently caress do I do with 3 bulbs of fennel?
Prevent witchcraft apparently. Might come in useful.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Wise man said, that only foo rhuna empiyah without lugshuries

king :hehe:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I had to travel to Salem so I tied a fennel to my belt, as was the style at the time.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

Dig for Victory veg challenge of the week: I have 3 bulbs of fennel. What the gently caress do I do with 3 bulbs of fennel?
Ages back I caught a sea bass & stuffed it with fennel that I'd sliced up & soaked in single malt, then baked the whole thing so it sort of steamed from the inside with a kind of smokey aniseed flavour whilst it roasted, it was really good

Sea bass aren't even in season so that's no use to you, you just reminded me of that meal & it made me hungry

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

peanut- posted:

Dig for Victory veg challenge of the week: I have 3 bulbs of fennel. What the gently caress do I do with 3 bulbs of fennel?

I've made a really tasty chicken thigh tray bake with fennel before, can't find the exact recipe but something like this should do, and calls for two bulbs
https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/food-drink/recipes/chicken-lemon-and-fennel-traybake-recipe

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

You can roast fennel if you like.

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Just as an FYI on the Israel thing: most of the (Israeli) population is vaccinated iirc, and vaccines are now open to anyone over 16 who wants one - all the vulnerable people have basically already had it, and they've still not fully reopened yet. If that's the example you want to follow, we're going to be in lockdown for a while yet.

Oh, yeah I’m definitely in favour of lockdown for a bit longer, a few more vulnerable categories to vaccinate yet. I’m imagining spring/summer here.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I really like fennel in Italian food but my girlfriend hates the taste of aniseed and won't touch it :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesky Splinter posted:

Love to cultivate mutant, vaccine-resistant strains for the hell of it.
Nonsense, this is going to be a key part of future negotiations with the EU.

"Give us what we want, or we'll keep breeding new COVID variants and spreading them around the world"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MikeCrotch posted:

I really like fennel in Italian food but my girlfriend hates the taste of aniseed and won't touch it :(

Your girlfriend is wise. Aniseed is vomit garbage.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

something something liberals are the real fascists

It seems the replies to that tweet are grappling with that exact issue:

https://twitter.com/yungsantaclaus/status/1360222712455712771

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Unsurprisingly in the article none of the scientists are actually calling for a debate, just saying there will be one (which is still a stupid thing to say).

I was keen to get angry at the SPI-M and looked up the list of members, turns out someone I studied epidemiology with is on it, which makes me feel old and a bit underachieving.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Prevent witchcraft apparently. Might come in useful.

The logic here (you should hang up herbs for magical reasons to stop other people using herbs for magical reasons) reminds me of a friend of mine's MSN username from about 2005. BOMBING FOR PEACE IS LIKE loving FOR VIRGINITY.

My point is, MSN should be brought back and so should witchcraft.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

Unsurprisingly in the article none of the scientists are actually calling for a debate, just saying there will be one (which is still a stupid thing to say).

I was keen to get angry at the SPI-M and looked up the list of members, turns out someone I studied epidemiology with is on it, which makes me feel old and a bit underachieving.
Sack the lot of them and replace them with the people doing real science:

crazyvanman posted:

The logic here (you should hang up herbs for magical reasons to stop other people using herbs for magical reasons) reminds me of a friend of mine's MSN username from about 2005. BOMBING FOR PEACE IS LIKE loving FOR VIRGINITY.

My point is, MSN should be brought back and so should witchcraft.
:yeah:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A local boujie fish+wine place does a battered fish burger on a brioche with garlic mayo and a kind of apple and fennel "slaw". Lemme say it's whopper

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Dakha posted:

The other trouble with covid to zero is that closing the borders is much harder for the UK than Australia or NZ.

NZ quarantine capacity is ~250 rooms per 14 days and the current wait for a slot is ~5 months. Heathrow had 15,000 travellers per hour.

How would that work long term? It’s tricky for Australia and NZ and they’re not nearly as connected as we are.

Closing the borders is no harder for the UK than anyone else, that's British exceptionalism rearing its ugly head again. Compare the UK to countries like Vietnam and Japan to see how badly we've really done.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

The Facebook VR headset sounds creepy as gently caress - it demands your accurate personal details, and they'll brick your device if you use false ones, and it also maps and remembers every room you use it in, including the contents of that room.

Maybe all headsets are like that, but that's way too invasive for my liking.

Yeah, no. You can still use an Oculus account for now, or you can use a burner Facebook account if you fancy. If you close that account then you also lose any apps you bought for that account, but that's how all online accounts work. They definitely don't brick your device.

The room thing also isn't true. It uses 3D cameras to track the layout of the room, because it doesn't use external sensors placed around the room like other headsets, so if you have space to move about then you can draw a boundary around yourself and jump about to your heart's content without worrying about bashing into a wall. It generally remembers the last room you were in until you change the playspace, at which point it forgets and you have to set everything again. The 3D camera output is ultra grainy black and white VHS quality and occasionally fails to register where the floor even is until you put down a controller to calibrate it, so I'm not sure what useful data they could even get out of it.

Facebook is bad, but they aren't quite at that level yet.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

peanut- posted:

This is good:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/warm-chickpea-bowls-with-lemony-yogurt

Also so is this:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rigatoni-with-fennel-and-anchovies

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Closing the borders is no harder for the UK than anyone else, that's British exceptionalism rearing its ugly head again. Compare the UK to countries like Vietnam and Japan to see how badly we've really done.

Yeah. The real problem with closing the airports now is that it keeps all of the virus in this country, rather than allowing some to leave.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Miftan posted:

While they've vaccinated a large percentage of priority people they've now hit the slowdown of ambivalence/reluctance/antivaxers.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-demand-for-vaccines-plummets-israel-may-resort-to-incentive-programs/

Only 20% of the total population has had it's second jab.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 12, 2021

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Small pre-weekend treat for those of you who like the pod. It really was a terrible, dragging episode but at least this bit redeemed it for the recording crew. We've never put the thing out because it sucked so hard, but please enjoy this cut.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1360254612591230984?s=20

Also Jesus Christ I had so many shownotes.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

loving called it.

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1351976981219389447?s=20

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

It's hard to take this as anything other than them overtly trying to kill me, my partner, and my friends

Yup.

I did my research on the borders and how they work in response to the Brexit vote but at this point it looks like Britain's actually found a way to keep its feet hostage.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Timed juuuuust right for Boris to do a "back to normal by Easter" spread in the Mail:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1360258832514109447?s=20

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Sack the lot of them and replace them with the people doing real science:

:yeah:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Junior G-man posted:

Timed juuuuust right for Boris to do a "back to normal by Easter" spread in the Mail:

The kicker sting to this story?
Its not going down as fast in children.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Junior G-man posted:

"the plan is working, quick, stop doing it!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

"the plan is working, quick, stop doing it!"
"It can't go worse than last time we did exactly that!"

Narrator: Somehow, it did.

Coroner: The narrator and 250,000 others died.

Ghost: I was a coroner once.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Junior G-man posted:

NO
gently caress NO
loving gently caress loving loving NO
gently caress

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

NO
gently caress NO
gently caress

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1360263937795710986

lmao jesus christ

Mebh
May 10, 2010

A while ago someone posted they made a really good quiz about 'things you should know' that caused a load of arguments.

Anyone have any good suggestions as that sounds like a laugh.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speedrunning the 80/90s mashup (farce remix) with kieth statesman really seems like the best thing that can happen to labour at the moment.

They might have someone with at lease* one policy and/or opinion by 2024.

It'll be a poo poo one, but we can work from there.

e: *gently caress it I'm leaving that autocorrect, because they'll have one but not actually own it

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 12, 2021

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Junior G-man posted:

superb stuff, like clockwork. our governmental institutions have no capacity for learning, they're a glorious homeostat pointed at "Back To Normal"

Keir is approaching Corbyn numbers here, he must resign. Any other leader would be 20 points ahead by now

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Welcome to the Real World, my loves.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Barry Foster posted:

NO
gently caress NO
gently caress

To be fair that's not news. Boris announced a while ago that he'd be talking about the path out of lockdown in the week of Feb 22nd. This just repeats that. Schools being aimed at March 8th suggests that's the earliest anything will change. That's still too early of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

"They were still booing him when we came on"