Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Does Dak get a fully guaranteed Kirk Cousins deal in FA assuming he makes it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

taking the low foot at five

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Does Dak get a fully guaranteed Kirk Cousins deal in FA assuming he makes it?

For sure.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Fwiw Breer also has four QBs going top 10 and a lot of league anxiety about getting a QB with the 2022 class seemingly underwhelming.

Both him and Tony Pauline have Wilson to the Jets.

https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/1359681691770638339

Also interesting to see Wilson and Fields and I guess Trask in the same frame.
https://twitter.com/train3DQB/status/1359677058704568321

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mac Jones, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Trevor, and Fields all deserve to be first round picks and are all Good. Any attempt to discount the first three because the last two are great is Stupid.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i dunno if i’m quite sold on “mac jones first round pick” but i didn’t see him lasting past the first 50 picks anyways

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Declan MacManus posted:

i dunno if i’m quite sold on “mac jones first round pick” but i didn’t see him lasting past the first 50 picks anyways

He’s gonna randomly shoot up the board and go in the top 6 because teams literally can’t help themselves.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mac Jones kinda seems like a very Pats pick but honestly not sure he even makes it to them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
mac jones is a modern matt leinart
edit its crazy jones had a better passer rating , just barely, than burrow. i didnt think burrow's season could ever be topped and it really wasn't

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 11, 2021

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Some coach will say Mac Jones has leadership character or whatever and he'll be drafted top 10 and then that coach will be fired in 3 years because everyone will realize that he's a complete dunce and Mac Jones will be 3rd string on his 3rd team talking about the glory days of getting to throw the ball to 6 players drafted in the 1st round

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mac just screams one of those prospects who can't throw guys open and takes a lot of sacks when he doesnt have an all universe run game and supporting cast.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

mastershakeman posted:

mac jones is a modern matt leinart
edit its crazy jones had a better passer rating , just barely, than burrow. i didnt think burrow's season could ever be topped and it really wasn't

Leinart's ball wobbled on a 15 yard out and looked like a wounded duck over 20. Matt Leinart with even an NFL average velocity probably has a 10 year NFL career--dude's problem was never that he didn't know what he was doing but that he couldn't get the ball there. Sure, you can make the argument that those USC skill advantages were comparable to Bama this year, but Mac absolutely gets the ball out faster than Leinart at a minimum, even if he's only like a median level velocity guy. I actually think Leinart has a case for being a much better field general in terms of having to make stupid protection calls and reads that the I-form and West Coast offense back then required, but that's only really useful for specific (read: Jon Gruden) type coaches at this point.

BlindSite posted:

Mac just screams one of those prospects who can't throw guys open and takes a lot of sacks when he doesnt have an all universe run game and supporting cast.

This is a bit closer to what I think the failure state for him is. He has the arm strength to be decent, but I don't really see him throwing guys open so much as waiting for them to get open and then hitting them in stride (again, as opposed to Leinart who would sort of push or aim the ball to guys rather than throw it which let defenders close gaps at times). Part of that could just be that they just break defenses so hard that waiting the extra half second keeps Saban from jumping on him for being too risky, and he knows his protection is there. If he goes late, I'm expecting him to potentially be a Bridgewater type of guy. If he goes early to a team without a dominant receiver or with bad protection, I don't see him overcoming that.

I have nightmares about what Trey Lance could do with Shanahan running his offense. Dude runs some of the cleanest PA work I've seen and could be a scramble threat off of those plays too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s gonna randomly shoot up the board and go in the top 6 because teams literally can’t help themselves.

no one's ever going to take a quarterback outside of the first like 10 picks because it is literally the only position that has any meaning in the sport.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

no one's ever going to take a quarterback outside of the first like 10 picks because it is literally the only position that has any meaning in the sport.

Have you followed the draft like ever?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Which will be the next team thats gonna be stupid enough to draft a running back in the top 5

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm under the impression that if you pass the way Burrow or Jones do in the SEC you at least deserve a look as a franchise QB regardless of how stocky or durdle-like you may be.

He definitely wings the ball like someone who's never really been taught to pass and his deep ball resembles a somehow less powerful Nick Foles, but he makes all the right decisions. Sarkisian had him fading in the pocket throwing deep seam routes because everyone knew what they were trying to do with their WRs this year. They've been trotting out the same offense since Calvin Ridley so teams naturally started sitting on Tua with zone coverage. Jones comes in last year and then starts this year and the offense looks completely different. Way less roll outs, way less timing routes, way more seam routes. Like that Georgia game this year wasn't just Waddle and Smith running dominant, that was Mac Jones making a lot of tough throws against cloud coverage. He's got exceptional touch on intermediate routes that sort of makes up for him winging it on underwhelming deep balls.

He's kind of a unique prospect in general. I've never seen such an immobile QB play the spread before. Like there hasn't been a guy this slow at the position since Drew Bledsoe. He still moves well though even with the complete lack of a running threat. His biggest red flag to me is how long he holds on to the football. Other than that he's a perfectly fine top 50 prospect or even top 25 when alls said and done.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Have you followed the draft like ever?

It’s definitely going more that direction though. Almost every playoff team this year had either a franchise QB or top 5 drafted QB (or both). It’s never been more apparent how important it is to lock down a QB to even have a shot. The ridiculous draft day trades are only going to get more ridiculous

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
We had 14 playoff teams this year and 5 of the QBs were drafted in the Top 5. 2 of them were arguably the worst QBs in the playoffs.

Mitch Trubisky
Jared Goff
Baker Mayfield
Josh Allen
Philip Rivers

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Honestly if player empowerment keeps going, the Buccaneers (and Colts) approach looks pretty promising. They ended up building a real good team, despite repeatedly taking non-premium positions super high, and just had a roster that a vet QB wanted to plant themselves on.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Everyone take turns and name a position that you shouldn't draft in the top 5 because you can find it later

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

We had 14 playoff teams this year and 5 of the QBs were drafted in the Top 5. 2 of them were arguably the worst QBs in the playoffs.

Mitch Trubisky
Jared Goff
Baker Mayfield
Josh Allen
Philip Rivers

QB Josh Allen was 7th or 8th overall.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
My team hasn't drafted in the top 5 since 1970

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Doltos posted:

Everyone take turns and name a position that you shouldn't draft in the top 5 because you can find it later

missionary

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

You know I love Long Snappers BUT...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please stick to owning the guy who argued all talent should definitively be found later by purposefully focusing in on RBs

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Doltos posted:

Running back

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

QB Josh Allen was 7th or 8th overall.

Tannehill was 8th as well. I’m just saying, drafting a QB is a complete crap shoot.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

I think this about WRs at this point. The only guy I think you take top-5 is like Calvin Johnson. I almost think RB as a top 5 makes as much sense just given how many more touches you push through them compared to even a dominant receiver in an offense.

Doltos posted:

I'm under the impression that if you pass the way Burrow or Jones do in the SEC you at least deserve a look as a franchise QB regardless of how stocky or durdle-like you may be.

He definitely wings the ball like someone who's never really been taught to pass and his deep ball resembles a somehow less powerful Nick Foles, but he makes all the right decisions. Sarkisian had him fading in the pocket throwing deep seam routes because everyone knew what they were trying to do with their WRs this year. They've been trotting out the same offense since Calvin Ridley so teams naturally started sitting on Tua with zone coverage. Jones comes in last year and then starts this year and the offense looks completely different. Way less roll outs, way less timing routes, way more seam routes. Like that Georgia game this year wasn't just Waddle and Smith running dominant, that was Mac Jones making a lot of tough throws against cloud coverage. He's got exceptional touch on intermediate routes that sort of makes up for him winging it on underwhelming deep balls.

He's kind of a unique prospect in general. I've never seen such an immobile QB play the spread before. Like there hasn't been a guy this slow at the position since Drew Bledsoe. He still moves well though even with the complete lack of a running threat. His biggest red flag to me is how long he holds on to the football. Other than that he's a perfectly fine top 50 prospect or even top 25 when alls said and done.

I rewatched a bit of his tape today and have a minor conspiracy about him. He’s such a statue that his mechanics for anything he doesn’t have to just wing are made more consistent and predictable by his lack of desire to move. It’s the only way I can describe his short-medium accuracy despite his arm motion being so inconsistent—his feet just don’t move when they’re not supposed to. Some old-timely QB coach is going to love him until they try to roll him out.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

Doltos posted:

Kicker

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mac jones sucks lfmao. how is anyone taking away from this year that anything that happened in the pandemic year matters at all

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
looking at the wide receiver class I'm getting more and more confident the Bengals can find what they need in the later rounds if they want to. There seems to be a lot of expected later round prospects who have speed and hands. the Bengals need an outside receiver who can back the safeties up more than they need a 1A guy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

mac jones sucks lfmao. how is anyone taking away from this year that anything that happened in the pandemic year matters at all

Is there any reason to believe that Mac Jones is any better than AJ Mccarron?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

No word on who went to his birthday party.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1360231112753242113

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Big Connor Cook energy

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there any reason to believe that Mac Jones is any better than AJ Mccarron?

absolutely not

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I didn't want to mention it, but I was at his bday party as his mom's +1. It was just us.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nadrod24/status/1360243486650470405

https://twitter.com/kimdaddy35/status/1360259868981039104

Lmao god I want this job where I get paid big money to be a high school gossip who does 0 actual research.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Horny on main

https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/1360244634086162434

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i hope someday i can get a blue check so i can openly speculate on the size of prospective nfl hogs