Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I made a :grovertruk: but I already bought ads and I'm not going to buy a smilie also.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drgitlin posted:

America allows people to use flexible plastic plumbing lines now.

You can even put insulation on them.

If you're so inclined.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

not emptyquoting

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Digital Prophet posted:

I made a :grovertruk: but I already bought ads and I'm not going to buy a smilie also.

You have to buy a smilies? How?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rytheric posted:

You have to buy a smilies? How?

Top of the page there are links to buy avatars, smilies, etc. You provide the image and pay to get it hosted in the forum. Once you buy a smilie it goes in the list where everyone can use it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Digital Prophet posted:

That owns.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Digital Prophet posted:

amazing

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Digital Prophet posted:

Truly the smilie SA needs for 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

It is perfect in every way

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Digital Prophet posted:

:perfect:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Digital Prophet posted:

I was going to buy :grovertruk: but holy gently caress, $30? That's awful loving steep, nothing else other than a banner ad costs more than $10.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Okay I've bought a metal detector so I can rummage through ancient shitter locations. Imagine it would be a good idea anyway.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
i found some prior art for the fire pit

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

duomo posted:

i found some prior art for the fire pit

Lol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rytheric posted:

Okay I've bought a metal detector so I can rummage through ancient shitter locations. Imagine it would be a good idea anyway.

you will need the doubloons to feather your grovertruk nest

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you find treasure before you buy the land do not tell anyone especially not the owner :eng101:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tired: indoor plumbing in rental properties
Wired: giving your tenants a turn with the metal detector to search for toilet jewels

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Rytheric posted:

Someone suggested I looked into hydronic heating. I ended up buying a book that I hoped would teach me how to build solar panels, but instead it seemed Ike a survey of different types of solar and what to do with it which referenced heating water using solar thermal panels as observed below.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of heating and if I should use it for the MurderHaus? I imagine I'd have to have extremely well insulated floors.

Hydronic heating/cooling is excellent, look into solar thermal evacuated tubes or plate collectors. You can run the lines with pex, which is cool and good for house construction.

As for floor insulation, it doesn’t have to be too ridiculous, but yeah you’re gonna wanna throw down some foam insulation sheets under the subfloor. I have zero advice on actually doing this to code tho.

Works well for heating the floor of a truck too, no fire barrels needed. I guess you could run a line to stick a heat collector inside a fire barrel to heat the fluid in the system. Don’t, though. Keep all fire outside of the vehicle, or in a pellet stove with chimney or whatever. A few stray sparks and your poo poo will burn to the ground.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

DarkEuphoria posted:

Hydronic heating/cooling is excellent, look into solar thermal evacuated tubes or plate collectors. You can run the lines with pex, which is cool and good for house construction.

As for floor insulation, it doesn’t have to be too ridiculous, but yeah you’re gonna wanna throw down some foam insulation sheets under the subfloor. I have zero advice on actually doing this to code tho.

Works well for heating the floor of a truck too, no fire barrels needed. I guess you could run a line to stick a heat collector inside a fire barrel to heat the fluid in the system. Don’t, though. Keep all fire outside of the vehicle, or in a pellet stove with chimney or whatever. A few stray sparks and your poo poo will burn to the ground.

Yeah, you can even buy subflooring with aluminum channels pre molded in for the PEX lines, it's pretty cool.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I like reading this thread during the Sinful Hours™️ so I can get that real sleepy drunk on and not know if it's real or if I dreamed it.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Rytheric posted:

What kind of detector is it, and what kind of beeps boops does it make? Will you send the boopy sounds to the propagander department for use in their next song?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Rytheric posted:

Metal detectors on abandoned land are also cool in our region (I'm in VA) for finding Civil War stuff. Collectors pay big bucks for old ammo, coins, uniform buttons, etc.

When I had a stall at a flea market, there was a dude who sold all kinds of crazy crap he found with his metal detector, from vintage license plates to farm tools to... an actual ball and chain for slaves. :( (that poo poo should've gone to a museum or something; I wouldn't feel right turning a buck on that)

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

inkmoth posted:

What kind of detector is it, and what kind of beeps boops does it make? Will you send the boopy sounds to the propagander department for use in their next song?

I will look into it and see if I can unlock all the beeps and boops. It is a bounty hunter TK4. I ordered it from Amazon. I didn't want one with one of those newfangled screens.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So update on the land of MurderHaus and TimberShitters. The soil scientist got back to me. It appears that the land can only support a three bedroom house at max using modern techniques. Two bedrooms if I go for a traditional system. Unfortunately, even if a house only has one bedroom such as the MurderHaus which only has a loft, a house is regarded as two bedrooms at minimum. So I am only allowed one MurderHaus unless I call the other a shed (I may make the second one smaller to try different sizes.)

I also have to move the well. The down side to the modern system is that its patented in a way that im not allowed to build it myself

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You can build something patented for personal use (not a lawyer)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

taqueso posted:

You can build something patented for personal use (not a lawyer)

You can't necessarily buy the components or access detailed instructions for building it though.

Ry, when you say "modern techniques" I assume that means a pressurized septic system? Those things are expensive as gently caress to build, and a headache to maintain compared to the 'ol solids tank and leech field approach.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

You can't necessarily buy the components or access detailed instructions for building it though.

Ry, when you say "modern techniques" I assume that means a pressurized septic system? Those things are expensive as gently caress to build, and a headache to maintain compared to the 'ol solids tank and leech field approach.

Literally it's a series of panels of cinderblock glued together with sand around them to create a drain field. The problem is that it requires a glue that is only given to a specific manufacturer. So the manufacturer is the only person that is allowed to build them til the patent expires as you can't get the glue elsewhere.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Rytheric posted:

Literally it's a series of panels of cinderblock glued together with sand around them to create a drain field. The problem is that it requires a glue that is only given to a specific manufacturer. So the manufacturer is the only person that is allowed to build them til the patent expires as you can't get the glue elsewhere.

So I looked into it a bit more. I may be able to actually do it myself now. Guess I need to add Subterranean ShitterBlocks to the project list.

Here is a link to the ShitterBlocks method.
https://www.tjpanel.com

Soil scientist says it should cost around $7000-8000 to do. We shall see what Ry can do to cut down the expenses lol.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2021

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Rytheric posted:

We shall see what Ry can do to cut down the expenses lol.

Look man, I say build all the crazy poo poo. Even the fire pit if you’re careful when testing. I draw the line at cheaping out on the step that keeps the poop at bay.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

inkmoth posted:

Look man, I say build all the crazy poo poo. Even the fire pit if you’re careful when testing. I draw the line at cheaping out on the step that keeps the poop at bay.

Lol. Its not cheaping out. It's called doing the labor ones self. I could build this septic system relatively easily. My main concern is the amount of trees and bamboo that will lose their lives as the result of the county requiring running water for a permanent dwelling.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 13, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I wouldn't worry about hurting bamboo, worry about it hurting you

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Okay lads, ladies, and non-binaries, while I was driving to the middle of nowhere to investigate the sinking railroad, I had a prophetic day dream of the MurderHaus in all its glory. So my blueprint was all wrong. Well not entirely wrong but it was 90 degrees off from where it needs to be and the kitchen should adjoin the porch not the shitter.

So here is where I explain my obsession with French doors. So the French doors in the layout below (anyone have a recommendation for decent free house modeling software, or should I pull of the Sims 3?) Are facing towards the southern sky. This will allow me to sit in front of them and mediate in the sun with a view of nature. One of my favorite things about the GroverTruk is that I can park it anywhere to eat fast food and just sit and look out at nature while I eat. French doors allow me to do that (like sliding doors I guess) but without being fully exposed to the elements.

New layout also second MurderHaus is smaller now.

Lofts seem to be excluded in a lot of modeling apps.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 13, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Paramemetic posted:

Saw a number of places in Ladakh with systems like these for warm water. You're not gonna get like steaming water out of it but you can get a shower that is pleasant at 15000 feet above sea level. You want to put them high so you can gravity feed them if possible because if you need electricity to pump or pressurize it you might as well use the same electricity to heat it. You also want it like basically directly above where you're using it because you'll lose heat into the pipes, but using rubber piping instead of like, actual pipes helps.

In fact, you might want to look into some of the infrastructure and design solutions in use in Ladakh because I saw a lot of like, rubber flex pipe and hoses fixed with tightly wrapped cloth in lieu of actual plumbing and extremely not any kind of code electrical wiring running unshielded along walls there and it seems like it might be your speed.

You totally can get steaming water out of a system like this, it's mostly a function of volume of water and time spent in the heating pipes. So if you use a skinny pipe the water is hotter but there's less of it.

As to PEX piping, it's worth noting it doesn't hold up under UV long term.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Weka posted:

You totally can get steaming water out of a system like this, it's mostly a function of volume of water and time spent in the heating pipes. So if you use a skinny pipe the water is hotter but there's less of it.

As to PEX piping, it's worth noting it doesn't hold up under UV long term.

Copper in the collector, PEX to the storage. You get a black copper pipe inside a reflective box in the sun and it's possible to get bubbles out the top of it on hot days. Not quite boiling, but it wants to.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So while I'm moving forward with the land of MurderHaus, the seller for the 3 acre lot i was talking about is losing their mind and rapidly dropping the price and is now selling it for $6000. I am emotionally torn because I want that property too, but if I buy it, i would have to use some of the funds I need to buy the land of MurderHaus. This is a gamble as I may end up losing the land of MurderHaus if I can't recoup the deposit as fast as necessary.

Edit: by emotionally torn I mean binge eating Mac n cheese in the KFC parking lot drinking diet mountain dew. Ive been here like 2 hours.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 13, 2021

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Don't spread yourself too thin. French doors are expensive.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Digital Prophet posted:

Don't spread yourself too thin. French doors are expensive.

Indeed, I'm looking at 1.5k in French doors as it is.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Perhaps you should consider pocket doors as well, think of all the space you can save when you don’t have to account for the swing of a door in your rooms.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Rytheric, may I ask what sort of job you have to be able to afford all this madness? Obviously be as vague as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

So while I'm moving forward with the land of MurderHaus, the seller for the 3 acre lot i was talking about is losing their mind and rapidly dropping the price and is now selling it for $6000. I am emotionally torn because I want that property too, but if I buy it, i would have to use some of the funds I need to buy the land of MurderHaus. This is a gamble as I may end up losing the land of MurderHaus if I can't recoup the deposit as fast as necessary.

Edit: by emotionally torn I mean binge eating Mac n cheese in the KFC parking lot drinking diet mountain dew. Ive been here like 2 hours.

COVID has driven people insane here. I want to move into a nice town in CT here and motherfuckers want $80,000 for 1.2 acres. The worst part is that poo poo is selling.