Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Just... How do you find something like that?

Dig through code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Krime posted:

Just... How do you find something like that?

Dig through code?

Very next tweet in the thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1345620885684645888

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
is this a middle finger to a speedrun category by taro yoko.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
nah just opens up a new speedrun category for getting the full alphabet of endings

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Looks like this was meant to unlock some options early in case you didn't want to have to play through the game again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The video with the code has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj95Gumb-_8

Defeat Marx, stand between the two piles of barrels in that room, hold R2, and enter the "Platinum Code" from Bayonetta 2 (Up, Down, Up, Right, Left, Square, Circle, Triangle, Cross) without leaving that small area between the two barrels. Not mentioned in the video, but Lance says on Reddit that it'll also work on every other version of the game (except the PS4 demo, of course) by using the equivalent buttons.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NieR: Automata - Defeat Marx, stand between the two piles of barrels in that room, hold R2, and enter the "Platinum Code" from Bayonetta 2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm honestly very impressed with this guy's work.

This is pretty cool!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

NieR: Automata - Defeat Marx, stand between the two piles of barrels in that room, hold R2, and enter the "Platinum Code" from Bayonetta 2

"NieR: Automata - Defeat Marx, stand between barrels, input Platinum Code" fits

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I don’t get everyone saying that Route A and B are meandering or whatever and then it gets good in Route C, cause I was immediately extremely invested in the story when I saw a ton of robots who were trying to emulate sex suddenly start saying ‘this cannot continue’ repeatedly and then all of them suddenly stop before forming a giant ball that gives birth to Adam, naked and smooth like a ken doll where genitals should be, completely covered with some kind of robot vaginal mucous. But that made me think god drat that was bizarre and funny and I love it and I need to keep playing this game because surely there’s more crazy poo poo like that, but maybe that’s just me.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I will say that after route B I was a little burned out and then that outro out of nowhere was perfect to pull me right the gently caress back in. It was so targeted and in comparison different from everything before that it had a huge effect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Route B is the only part that ever felt like it was starting to slog for me, and only because large chunks of it were literally the same thing again. When it diverged it was good enough to make up for it though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i didnt mind route b but i know taro yokos games so i knew to just continue. though playing 9s is kind of annoying since hes not exactly very varied in attacks.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

stev posted:

Route B is the only part that ever felt like it was starting to slog for me, and only because large chunks of it were literally the same thing again. When it diverged it was good enough to make up for it though.

Yeah, I'd say specifically the big multi stage bosses like the sea creature felt dumb to fight a second time, even though you were hacking and shooting up the inside or whatever. Those fights don't have a lot going on mechanically once you've beheld the spectacle the first time. Still worthwhile though.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i'm sure i've said it before, but i would have no problem with hacking if you got to change your gun and modify your ship like you do with 2B/A2s arsenal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route B was pretty fresh for me since the game doesn’t really telegraph it’s sidequest “point of no return” very well so I had most of those to do plus the B route ones and ones that might as well be B Route exclusive. But yeah, I definitely sympathize with people who aren’t familiar with the cost-efficient (re: we don’t have enough money to make a 60 hour game like we think people want without reusing content) way Taro makes games who felt burned when they got told to play a Director’s Cut edition of the game they just beat.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Square just posted a gameplay video of the Nier Replicant remaster, has a taste of the English voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejvgt9zh23c

Not sure if the voice acting is entirely re-done or if Bro-Nier is the only new audio. Weiss and Kainé definitely are the same actors.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/dadnier/status/1360238274460192768?s=20

I think they did redo some of the lines

Edit:

https://twitter.com/StormYorha/status/1360233175931359235?s=20

Kaine is loving this poo poo in HD

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brother Nier is Zach Aguilar, who is generally a decent voice actor. The real prize there is Kaine and Weiss still being voiced by Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien, because those were two career-best performances from two amazing VAs.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
So you're saying I should play the original instead of waiting for this remake because that's a goddamn disgrace right there

Wait nevermind the bottom one is the new one?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

So you're saying I should play the original instead of waiting for this remake because that's a goddamn disgrace right there

Wait nevermind the bottom one is the new one?

bottom is the new one yeah, you can tell because of the detailed brickwork as opposed to a flat ps2 texture

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Kainé swearing even more was definitely the right way to handle her.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
New OST sounds kind of bad though, particularly Gods bound by Rules in that video.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Weird that they'd update the OST considering how much everyone loved it

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

some bust on that guy posted:

New OST sounds kind of bad though, particularly Gods bound by Rules in that video.

Yeah, that was weird. It sounds lower quality somehow and was a weird mix. Why would you change the music in this one?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Yeah, that was weird. It sounds lower quality somehow and was a weird mix. Why would you change the music in this one?

It may be just a special edition CD that has the rearrangement as part of one of those special bundles for the game. It may not be even used in the game.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So I'm a new player who just beat the first boss after the prologue, the one that looks like a cross between a naked Ken doll and Sephiroth. I beat it on the first attempt but came close to getting killed which made me wonder; if you die during a boss encounter can you get the chips off your body before trying to fight the boss again?

Also, if you load a specific save after death does the game remember that you died anyway? Or is it like it never happened at all?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

KodiakRS posted:

So I'm a new player who just beat the first boss after the prologue, the one that looks like a cross between a naked Ken doll and Sephiroth. I beat it on the first attempt but came close to getting killed which made me wonder; if you die during a boss encounter can you get the chips off your body before trying to fight the boss again?

Also, if you load a specific save after death does the game remember that you died anyway? Or is it like it never happened at all?

Can’t answer the first one because I can answer the second. If you reload it’s as if you never died, no need for corpse retrieval. I never bothered with the system outside of the very early game.

Late game spoilers: during route C the corpse retrieval mechanic is disabled and you always have to reload.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Edmund Lava posted:

Can’t answer the first one because I can answer the second. If you reload it’s as if you never died, no need for corpse retrieval. I never bothered with the system outside of the very early game.

Late game spoilers: during route C the corpse retrieval mechanic is disabled and you always have to reload.

Yeah, it really doesn't take long to get a completely bonkers set of chips such that you become a regenerative combat god on Normal and won't really need the mechanic anymore. Before then the chips are so poo poo that it typically isn't that huge of a loss even if you do lose it permanently.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
glad they're keeping Bailey and O'Brien

that's my girl :allears:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The music is such a huge part of these games that it would be weird to not remix it for a remake. That said, I agree that the ones they showcased sounded weirdly muted, but I didn't think they were the strongest tracks in the original game either.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Kaine's face obviously looks different. It's less angular and definitely made to look more like A2. But something is still off.
Where's the flower? Seriously, it's not in her hair. It's in the cover art for the remaster, so it's not like they're removing it entirely.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Beefstew posted:

Kaine's face obviously looks different. It's less angular and definitely made to look more like A2. But something is still off.
Where's the flower? Seriously, it's not in her hair. It's in the cover art for the remaster, so it's not like they're removing it entirely.

In Drakengard 3

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Speaking of which, saw this appropriate Valentines Day content

https://twitter.com/MrClemps/status/1360959589525684233

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hunt11 posted:

Kainé swearing even more was definitely the right way to handle her.

For those who've played Fire Emblem: Three Houses. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Man, what is she wearing.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kinda want to play Drakengard now if it has sweary Edelgard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Kinda want to play Drakengard now if it has sweary Edelgard.

Play it. It owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRu7z_MDOM

Also, everyone must one day face THE FLOWER.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

are we just all assuming the Replicant remake is going to have shenanigans going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are we just all assuming the Replicant remake is going to have shenanigans going on

It's not a real Taro joint if papa Nier doesn't appear out of nowhere and completely upend things midway through