Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Veotax posted:

My theory with Pietro: He's a plant, but actually a Pietro from another universe, maybe even actually the Fox X-Men universe. It seemed to me that he had only really surface-level knowledge of his and Wanda's life, like he had been briefed. He was grilling Wanda on how how the whole thing started. He's not under Wanda's control, maybe even immune, maybe protected?

We know this show is going to tie in to Doctor Strange somehow, maybe Strange is aware of what's going on and he's the one who brought this Quicksilver in to gather intel and maybe try to talk Wanda down?
Maybe Strange is going to be the 'big unexpected cameo' if Fox-Quicksilver isn't it?

I'm thinking Dr. Strange will be only concerned if his sanctum is in danger. Although is possible that he and the other sorceress already noticed what is going on. It's very odd that no one of the Avengers, or at least the ones with the technology or powers to sense this, has shown on.

lol What if Dr. Strange is already trapped inside Westside? He is just kept away and secure with all the children. The big surprise being that he is what Hayward was hiding? But nah, most surely SWORD wants Vision's body back and to weaponize Wanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gaz-L posted:

:hai: Basically, Wanda did too good a job bringing him back. Because bringing back the Vision, means you bring back a guy whose first act upon being born, basically, was to risk his life for others. Which means it's gonna come down to saving the town, or him staying 'alive' and we know what one he's gonna choose.

I do have to wonder if it'll end with Westview!Vision giving up his existence to free the town, and Wanda gets some closure out of it at least, since it means she gets to handle his passing being meaningful rather than a traumatic assisted suicide that was then immediately literally reversed and made completely pointless.

...you know, recalling how Vision actually died really does put in context how traumatised Wanda has to be by the whole thing. Though the movies never really gave time to dwell on it.

Also, a big thing of why there's so little intervention so far is probably because A: the Hex is actually making an effort to be hidden and unnoticed by the outside world, it's not certain how long it's gone on for before the FBI guy stumbled on it, and 2: the response to it so far has been extremely secretive and trying to keep news from getting out, possibly for nefarious reasons.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of theories going around on the ads, including that they correspond to a period of Wanda's like as depicted and/or the Infinity Stones, the latter mostly through colour.
-Stark-Tech toaster being the bomb with the red for the Reality Stone
-Strucker watch being their time in HYDRA and obviously the Time Stone
-Hydra-Soak being the brainwashing possibly both that they received and she inflicted on the Avengers, and with focus on a blue box that's clearly the Tesseract/Space Stone
-Lagos towels clearly being the disaster in Lagos and the orange liquid the Soul stone

For the latest one, A kid trapped on an island with a magic-branded cup he can't open is probably a reference to Wanda being imprisoned in The Raft in Civil War. And the purple cup (despite supposedly being strawberry) may be the Power Stone, which does gently caress up non-Thanos people who touch it. Also, this format may be spoiling how many episodes the show's going to have. At least in its current format.

The way I've seen it explained:

- Toaster: Designed to be Vision's head. The glowing forehead dot is the Mind Stone.
- Watch: Obviously the Time Stone.
- Soap: Made to look like the Tesseract, AKA the Space Stone.
- Paper towels: It's cleaning up a red liquid and the Reality Stone takes the form of red liquid.
- Yo-Magic: A skeleton is doomed to exist, alone, in a desolate land with no escape. Just like the guy guarding the Soul Stone.

That leaves the Power Stone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do have to wonder if it'll end with Westview!Vision giving up his existence to free the town, and Wanda gets some closure out of it at least, since it means she gets to handle his passing being meaningful rather than a traumatic assisted suicide that was then immediately literally reversed and made completely pointless.

...you know, recalling how Vision actually died really does put in context how traumatised Wanda has to be by the whole thing. Though the movies never really gave time to dwell on it.

Also, a big thing of why there's so little intervention so far is probably because A: the Hex is actually making an effort to be hidden and unnoticed by the outside world, it's not certain how long it's gone on for before the FBI guy stumbled on it, and 2: the response to it so far has been extremely secretive and trying to keep news from getting out, possibly for nefarious reasons.

We actually do know how long it's been, assuming Hayward was being honest about the time the CCTV footage was taken. It's been about 2 weeks by this point. Wanda stole back Vision's corpse about 9 days before episode 5, we can assume a day or two has passed by now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

The way I've seen it explained:

- Toaster: Designed to be Vision's head. The glowing forehead dot is the Mind Stone.
- Watch: Obviously the Time Stone.
- Soap: Made to look like the Tesseract, AKA the Space Stone.
- Paper towels: It's cleaning up a red liquid and the Reality Stone takes the form of red liquid.
- Yo-Magic: A skeleton is doomed to exist, alone, in a desolate land with no escape. Just like the guy guarding the Soul Stone.

That leaves the Power Stone.

It's just an ad for Power Stone

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Here's what we know about the timeline:
Monica came back to SWORD three weeks after the blip.
Jimmy was at Westview at least a day or two prior to that.
Nine days prior to the second or third day of SWORD being outside Westview Wanda broke into SWORD and stole Vision's body.

So the whole thing has been going on for as little as a week or as much as two weeks now.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
To this point have we seen Wanda demonstrate an ability to do her Hex-level control powers on anyone in the Hex who is actually a super? There's the memory issue where Vision can't recall the "before" and Pietro has demonstrated a sketchy memory, especially re: his death cleverly seeming to come from the "Last time on" and I don't think we've seen Wanda be able to control the kids.

Not that she'd want to directly control any of said characters but if we are moving towards to resolution where SWORD / Monica calls someone in or Monica gets true powers it might be an interesting wrinkle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah one thing to keep in mind is the timing of all this. This isn't two years later, this is literally weeks after Wanda came unsnapped and the events of Endgame. To her the events of Infinity War including Vision's death are still fresh. He did have a good point was he implying that Woo and Darcy were also snapped? that those who weren't snapped had a huge task to try and keep the society going in a way that didn't lead tona mass extinction.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just started to watch the latest episode. I sure hope that incompetent gung-ho boss trope is gonna have an actual point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just started to watch the latest episode. I sure hope that incompetent gung-ho boss trope is gonna have an actual point.

I mean, it's pretty obvious where this is going, and it sucks. It's very James Cameron in a bad way, writing off all the legitimate objections onto an obvious villain.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I think regarding the sitcom stuff they just decided that 90s sitcoms weren't aesthetically much different from what they did last week which was already a late 80s/early 90s Full House kind of deal. Rosanne is obviously pretty different in tone and content but the general filming and writing style is similar to ground they already covered.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

swickles posted:

Yeah one thing to keep in mind is the timing of all this. This isn't two years later, this is literally weeks after Wanda came unsnapped and the events of Endgame. To her the events of Infinity War including Vision's death are still fresh. He did have a good point was he implying that Woo and Darcy were also snapped? that those who weren't snapped had a huge task to try and keep the society going in a way that didn't lead tona mass extinction.

I think he was mostly just yelling at Rambeau? Woo jumped in at the "sassy sidekick" comment*, so who cares about the history of the sidekick?

*I guffawed irl at this, btw

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, it's pretty obvious where this is going, and it sucks. It's very James Cameron in a bad way, writing off all the legitimate objections onto an obvious villain.

Yeah. It sucks to see reasonable objections to the woman who took over an entire town be put in the mouth of a stock villain so that we can accept the questionable logic of Rambeau and others

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Technowolf posted:

It's just an ad for Power Stone

Oddly, nobody from WandaVision or Power Stone were in the Marvel vs. Capcom games.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zodack posted:

There's the memory issue where Vision can't recall the "before" and Pietro has demonstrated a sketchy memory, especially re: his death cleverly seeming to come from the "Last time on"

It is kind of interesting that unlike other shows on Disney+, there's no option to skip the recap. So they may be treating it as part of the narrative of the show.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah. It sucks to see reasonable objections to the woman who took over an entire town be put in the mouth of a stock villain so that we can accept the questionable logic of Rambeau and others

Eh...I mean all Monica has asked for more time and Jimmy has asked to work the case before they make a rash decision on whether to kill Wanda.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

If you think about westview as a typical hostage situation. Rambeau and Jimmy are taking an understand & deescalate approach, which is pretty standard. The director's agressive approach would be likely to get the hostages harmed/killed.

I don't think 'we need to talk this women down, because we literally can't outgun her' is that questionable based on what the characters know.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I could see that argument last week, but the point of 'we don't even know what happens if you kill her while this thing is still going on' is very valid. What if it leaves everyone effectively braindead? Or trapped in their sitcom identities? And there's no indication of a ticking clock that we know of. It's not 'we need to fix this in the next hour or the universe ends', you can stand to take a day or two, run it by more experts. Of course his response about Captain Marvel implies he wouldn't contact Banner or anyone who MIGHT know enough about Wanda's powers to actually help.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

JoylessJester posted:

If you think about westview as a typical hostage situation. Rambeau and Jimmy are taking an understand & deescalate approach, which is pretty standard. The director's agressive approach would be likely to get the hostages harmed/killed.

I don't think 'we need to talk this women down, because we literally can't outgun her' is that questionable based on what the characters know.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that the director is acting so loving crazy and unreasonable that it makes any of his concern about Westview and Wanda's intentions also seem unreasonable. Every scene with him involves him taking the most extreme option and no one except Rambeau, Jimmy, and Darcy batting an eye.

As a character, he seems to exist to make Wanda seem better by contrast and to justify the core trio's beliefs in her fundamental goodness.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm gonna guess we might see Vision based Sentinels in the MCU made by SWORD and rather than being purely for hunting mutants they'll be for anyone with powers (which would include mutants if this show does end with them creating a bunch or whatever).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It seems pretty clear to me that Heyward is going aggro because he wants to get Vision's body back to weaponize it. Someone somewhere, maybe in this thread, pointed out that Vision's living will stated he wasn't to be used as a weapon in the event of his demise, and also that Heyward conveniently elides just what SWORD was actually doing with Vision's body. Given that, it makes much more sense that Wanda stole Vision's body back from SWORD after finding out about what they were doing somehow.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

QuoProQuid posted:

I do not think it is a reasonable objection to try and fire a gun at the most powerful woman in the world

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Re: the chronology of this episode:

I don't think it's a spoiler to note that the features on the marquee of the movie theater in town are "The Incredibles" (2004) and "The Parent Trap" (1998), in that order. Also, you know, supers in one movie, and the other's literally The Parent Trap. Huh.

So, you know, kind of a generalized turn-of-the-century vibe happening. A decade can be 95-05, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also The Incredibles also happens to be about a superpowered family AND bear a striking resemblance to a certain upcoming MCU family unit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm OK with possibly skipping 90s shows because I'm really interested in their take on 2030s sitcoms.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Complete speculation, no actual spoilers beyond mentioning an announced MCU project.

I think Hayward is a bad guy, possibly a Skrull from a less friendly faction than the ones we know. He is trying to use Vision's body to build robots that can kill super powered people. These robots will eventually be MCU Sentinels. If Secret Invasion is coming, it makes sense to lay the groundwork now

edit: (the spoiler below is a minor spoiler for the newest episode)

Also, this episode was the worst at the sitcom element. There was less sitcomy stuff and it more or less just did one show. The other episodes were better in their sitcom mimicking because they'd nail little things like sound cues. Skipping the 90s was such a weird choice.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm gonna guess we might see Vision based Sentinels in the MCU made by SWORD and rather than being purely for hunting mutants they'll be for anyone with powers (which would include mutants if this show does end with them creating a bunch or whatever).
Vision based Master Mold would be dope.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Definitely another good episode, and I liked Pietro's characterization as both the man-child uncle and the guy who just wants to talk to Wanda about what's going on. Plenty of other little things to like too, like the tension between Vision and Wanda. Episode 5 is still the high watermark that the show has to surpass though, and like all shows with a bit of a mystery it's usually that last episode that reveals what's really been going on and resolves things for the various characters that ends up being the best one of the season or series.

A secret SWORD army of Vision bots definitely seems quite plausible now. The reminder of how much everything went to poo poo during the 5 years everyone was gone makes me think they just ignored Vision's will and started trying to make killer robots while keeping it low-key so the Avengers and Tony Stark didn't notice what was up. With how this is playing out Hayward has to have a card to play that'll stupidly escalate things and make things worse, so that seems like a pretty obvious possibility.

All of reality on earth being altered or rewritten is something that's happened quite a few times in Marvel comics beyond just the House of M, so while that feels like too major a thing to have happen on a Disney+ show, if they want to really go all-in and make Wanda's powers completely off the chain it's not like it wouldn't be backed by plenty of comics precedent. I'd put my money on "Wanda starts expanding the Hex to cover everything, but gets talked down by Monica and Vision and convinced to shut it all down" personally.

I'm also fully expecting a big ol' cameo or new MCU character that comics fans will know to tease what Wanda will be up to the next time we see her, or as part of resolving this mess. Hell I'll take a big swing and suggest that Disney actually managed to keep a secret and when Wanda's at a pivotal psychological breaking point of deciding to try to just Hex the planet or let it end and lose Vision, Chris Evans will pop up as Captain America (manifesting as Wanda's powers creating a version of him) to give a really good Cap speech and make her let it all go. MCU fans would love it and I think it would be a nice allusion to the time they spent together training and bonding in that time between Avengers 2 and Infinity War. We're all expecting a different cameo, and that'd still be satisfying and make sense to me, but if Wanda's control is slipping to the point where she subconsciously made a Pietro out of thin air, just like she made her kids, then I think Cap appearing in a similar way to Pietro (and with a similar knowledge of what she's been up to) would be interesting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Vision based Master Mold would be dope.

*Vision tries to leave the Hex*

"I AM STILL PLUGGED IN!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's been a while since I watched it, but... does Wanda actually know Pietro died saving Hawkeye and a Sokovian kid? She just kind of 'sensed' he was dead via her powers/twin magic, right?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gaz-L posted:

It's been a while since I watched it, but... does Wanda actually know Pietro died saving Hawkeye and a Sokovian kid? She just kind of 'sensed' he was dead via her powers/twin magic, right?

Yeah, indeed. I think she got the "twin sensing the other twin dying because magical twin bond" trope.

This Pietro was also very vague about how he died. So like they said he is a manifestation of Wanda's psyche. Or it's actually Fox's Pietro and was literally given a mental script by Wanda's power of what's up and to play it cool like everyone else in the town. It would curious if super powered people are less likely to be controlled by Wanda or can break control more easily than an everyday folk.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
This is how they're introducing mutants in the MCU. After the line about Monica's bloodwork, everyone in that town is going to come out a mutant.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Even given Hayward's assumed motives, it still bugs me how they go about it. At what point in the MCU did any secret organization ever manage to deal in whatsoever fashion with any powerful entity they faced? And now it's gonna work? Against someone assumed to be near the level of Thanos? Really? Then again, this is the same universe, where every movie involving Tony Stark has him start out as the snarky rear end in a top hat, just to redeem himself at the end, then rinse-repeat the same poo poo in the next movie.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

swickles posted:

I saw an interview with with Woo and Darcy. Kat Dennings asked and was told that Darcy was specifically not snapped. Woo didn't ask so he's not sure. Either way, Hayward was talking to Rambeau at the time so he was definitely referencing her. The other two he doesn't give a poo poo about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, indeed. I think she got the "twin sensing the other twin dying because magical twin bond" trope.

This Pietro was also very vague about how he died. So like they said he is a manifestation of Wanda's psyche. Or it's actually Fox's Pietro and was literally given a mental script by Wanda's power of what's up and to play it cool like everyone else in the town. It would curious if super powered people are less likely to be controlled by Wanda or can break control more easily than an everyday folk.

I'm thinking the line he had about 'dying for no reason' is either Wanda projecting her own feelings about the situation, and possibly not knowing? (seems weird Clint wouldn't have said something?) Or this Pietro again trying to feed into her feeling of her losses being senseless. The irony is that the ACTUAL senseless deaths of her parents seem to be the one thing she hasn't tried to fix. Only the two men who sacrificed themselves for others.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

This is how they're introducing mutants in the MCU. After the line about Monica's bloodwork, everyone in that town is going to come out a mutant.

Which makes me wonder what happens to Darcy, and will it carry over to Love & Thunder, now that Portman is back in Thor movies?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I'm also fully expecting a big ol' cameo or new MCU character that comics fans will know to tease what Wanda will be up to the next time we see her, or as part of resolving this mess. Hell I'll take a big swing and suggest that Disney actually managed to keep a secret and when Wanda's at a pivotal psychological breaking point of deciding to try to just Hex the planet or let it end and lose Vision, Chris Evans will pop up as Captain America (manifesting as Wanda's powers creating a version of him) to give a really good Cap speech and make her let it all go. MCU fans would love it and I think it would be a nice allusion to the time they spent together training and bonding in that time between Avengers 2 and Infinity War. We're all expecting a different cameo, and that'd still be satisfying and make sense to me, but if Wanda's control is slipping to the point where she subconsciously made a Pietro out of thin air, just like she made her kids, then I think Cap appearing in a similar way to Pietro (and with a similar knowledge of what she's been up to) would be interesting.

They've name dropped Captain Marvel two episodes in a row so it kind of feels like they're tipping their hand, though she would probably tease more for Monica than Wanda.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tsob posted:

Which makes me wonder what happens to Darcy, and will it carry over to Love & Thunder, now that Portman is back in Thor movies?

As Dennings herself has said, it's kind of late for Darcy to be written into Thor, given it's shooting right now and she's not in Australia.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Is Wanda's hallucination of seeing Fox-Verse Pietro as a bullet riddled corpse (as her 'real' brother was killed and this Pietro was not) prove that those macabre flashes are a complete figment of her imagination? She is straight up having a grief induced mental breakdown? Personally, I'm invested in this really being the Fox-Verse Pietro and hopefully stick around, so that's the crux of my argument. If I am correct, then her hallucination of Vision as a corpse was also purely psychological and that brings up some interesting questions. Did she steal another universe's Mind Stone to reanimate Vision? Is this even same Vision from the baseline MCU? In her absolute grief did she steal another universe's Vision (as she did Pietro) and that's why he doesn't know what an Avenger is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

As Dennings herself has said, it's kind of late for Darcy to be written into Thor, given it's shooting right now and she's not in Australia.

Maybe she can be the new Shadowcat so, if mutants are a comin'. She has the hacking down, at least.