Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Stupid newbie looking for gear advice here

I’ve got sasquatch feet and I’m not optimistic I’d find rentals available in my size, so I’m thinking it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to pick up some boots if (not the whole kit).

I’m looking at skiing over snowboarding, and this is something where I’ve got several friends that regularly do this so I don’t mind investing some money to get a good beginner set.

Is this something I’d be better off going to the local ski shop and getting fitted up and buying everything I need to get started over there versus guessing sizing and buying stuff online?

From what I’ve been reading, looks like boots and bindings aren’t universally compatible, so if I’m in it for the boots, I might as well pick up the whole kit so I don’t run into incompatible rental issues, right?

I’ve already got an insulated ski helmet I bought for cycling in the winter, and decent goggles. I’ve got insulated snow bibs and good base/mid layer clothes and gloves, I think I just need a good outer shell. Been looking at stuff on Evo and The-House.com and I’m hoping I can get away with something not horribly expensive. If anyone has any decent and affordable outer shell recommendations, I’d definitely appreciate it!

Just trying to get some general advice to get oriented in the right direction :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’ve got sasquatch feet and I’m not optimistic I’d find rentals available in my size, so I’m thinking it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to pick up some boots if (not the whole kit).

I’m looking at skiing over snowboarding, and this is something where I’ve got several friends that regularly do this so I don’t mind investing some money to get a good beginner set.

Is this something I’d be better off going to the local ski shop and getting fitted up and buying everything I need to get started over there versus guessing sizing and buying stuff online?

From what I’ve been reading, looks like boots and bindings aren’t universally compatible, so if I’m in it for the boots, I might as well pick up the whole kit so I don’t run into incompatible rental issues, right?

I’ve already got an insulated ski helmet I bought for cycling in the winter, and decent goggles. I’ve got insulated snow bibs and good base/mid layer clothes and gloves, I think I just need a good outer shell. Been looking at stuff on Evo and The-House.com and I’m hoping I can get away with something not horribly expensive. If anyone has any decent and affordable outer shell recommendations, I’d definitely appreciate it!

Just trying to get some general advice to get oriented in the right direction :)

If your feet are too big for rental boots then you might not be able to find rental skis with bindings big enough for you, so you’re probably on the right track getting the whole kit and kaboodle. But you should check first because this poo poo’s expensive and I’d guess renting is worth it if you’re just doing it a few times a year or seeing if you like it.

In terms of boot and binding compatibility, that wasn’t really an issue until recently with the rise of gripwalk soles (and AT soles). AFAIK most bindings made in the last few years are made to work with gripwalk soles and traditional alpine soles.

If you really have monster feet you might think about going to a ski shop and getting a proper fitting. They might also have some used boots, skis, bindings if they have a rental or buyback program. Used boots can usually be molded again for your feet. And a shop can recommend ski length, width, type for what you’re trying to do.

Evo and the house are good choices for cheap decent kit. If you have a sense of what you want in terms of width and length you can also go for the used market. Plenty of people selling lightly used skis+bindings because they need the new hotness.

vvv Right, meant skis/bindings only

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 12, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Absolutely do not buy boots online. It's not like buying shoes online where you just need your length and width. Every brand fits differently, and boot fitter will be able to recommend a brand that matches your feet and punch out or shape the shell to get rid of any pinch points or gaps.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

OSU_Matthew posted:

Definitely buy boots in shop. A good boot fitter can get something that can be modified for your feet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

As someone with stupid feet, go to a local bootfitter.

I first tried a larger boot, but my foot would slide and that's just not fun.

I don't know how many times I've gone back to mine to make more adjustments. I just bring booze with me to give to him now. Bootfitting is a lot of trial and error when you have stupid feet.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Everyone has their own preferred boot.

I've had great luck with 32.

Whatever you do, get laces as said previously. When your boa breaks you're done for the day or trip. When your laces break you pull a spare lace out of your pocket or pack and relace.

And if you ride enough days your boa will break.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 13, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Love my 32 boots. Now with power straps.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Final Utah Avalanche Center report is out about the large Millcreek avalanche on feb 6.

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/59084

It's pretty hosed up. Definitely a good read but ohhhh man. :(

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I just remembered one time I bought K2 boots with that "speed lace" system because they were on sale like half price and they broke the 2nd time I put them on lol

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Final Utah Avalanche Center report is out about the large Millcreek avalanche on feb 6.

What a rough loving story especially trying to resuscitate your SO and failing and needing to go back to try to find others. Knowing the ending makes reading the beginning like the opening to a horror movie. You just want to scream at them everytime it notes that people talked about how to ski the terrain not whether to ski it and that no one dug a pit and that Group B decided to follow the Group A skin tracks up. The whole thing is like a cautionary tale from the avalanche heuristic trap articles:

https://www.snowpit.com/articles
https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/issw-2002-244-251.pdf
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2020.1807111

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 13, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Getting a beacon hit, digging, and realising the person you pulled out was from a group you didn't even know was there

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ante posted:

Getting a beacon hit, digging, and realising the person you pulled out was from a group you didn't even know was there

Yeah. Also, doing absolutely everything you can and it resulting in two people's lives being saved, but NOT your friend nor your SO. God loving drat it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Chris losing his SO reminds me of the tragic story of Hayden Kennedy, the alpinist, who got caught in an avalanche with his girlfriend while skiing. He was partially buried and she was fully buried. Unable to locate and rescue her, he went home and committed suicide.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone has their own preferred boot.

I've had great luck with 32.

Whatever you do, get laces as said previously. When your boa breaks you're done for the day or trip. When your laces break you pull a spare lace out of your pocket or pack and relace.

And if you ride enough days your boa will break.

I cannot disagree more with the laces sentiment here. Laces have substantial issues in both achieving a tight fit and maintaining it as laces loosen over the course of several hours. These issues tend to not exist in BoA and with the improvement of the dual zone BoA, they should be adjustable enough for most people. If you have issues with BoA or any of the other system than I would look at laces, but I wouldn't start there as you're giving up a convenient consistent tight fit without a reason.

If you ride enough days to break a boa then either you aren't using it correctly or the boots have completely lost their stiffness and might as well be done anyway.

asur fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 13, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

You can easily fix laces in the backcountry and get yourself out of a broken equipment situation. Or if you’re on the resort and just don’t want to go to the boot shop. I broke my last boa boot when I was like 23 and never bothered to get it fixed because I saw the error of my ways.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went to Mount Baker with the wife today for our second time skiing since transitioning from snowboarding. She picked up a set of used (twice since new in Jan 2021) skis and boots so she was pretty pumped to get out today. Bonus is she didn't have a migraine today unlike last time so she improved a ton and started linking parallel turns in both directions on all the blues and greens. I felt a ton more comfortable with my parallel turns and carving at higher speeds so today was a huge success.

It was also basically empty and sunny so I couldn't have asked for a better day. Heading to crystal next weekend for a long weekend with friends so I'm looking forward to that. I might demo some nicer skis than just the bone stock rentals.

Verman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 13, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I read it this morning and it was very tough to read. I am a giant softy and was practically crying for these people, especially for Chris trying to save his SO.

Yeah. Also, doing absolutely everything you can and it resulting in two people's lives being saved, but NOT your friend nor your SO. God loving drat it.

Yeah just crazy and brutal. finding and digging out everyone is pretty amazing. Chris walking away to help search and dig out someone else to hope that they could save them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
At least one person died in an avalanche in the backcountry on Blackcomb today.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

It’s very sad. One thing that really stuck with me is someone from my avy course talking about the human-shaped hole when you dig a frozen body out. Just that mental image keeps me out of the backcountry until well into the springtime.

E: on a lighter note, Silverton is gonna be fantastic next weekend. If any of you Colorado folk want to join I think there are still a few spots left.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 13, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verman posted:

Went to Mount Baker with the wife today for our second time skiing since transitioning from snowboarding. She picked up a set of used (twice since new in Jan 2021) skis and boots so she was pretty pumped to get out today. Bonus is she didn't have a migraine today unlike last time so she improved a ton and started linking parallel turns in both directions on all the blues and greens. I felt a ton more comfortable with my parallel turns and carving at higher speeds so today was a huge success.

It was also basically empty and sunny so I couldn't have asked for a better day. Heading to crystal next weekend for a long weekend with friends so I'm looking forward to that. I might demo some nicer skis than just the bone stock rentals.

Mt Baker is one of my favourite places on earth and it'll be the first place I visit when the border re-opens. (Whatever time of year). Very jealous.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks everyone, very much appreciate the input! There’s a ski shop right outside of town I can swing by and get fitted up and whatnot. I’m worried about making the trek out somewhere and not having the right equipment available or poorly fitted/uncomfortable rentals I have to jam my feet into like what always happens with ice skating. Plus having the equipment opens up an entirely new winter hobby, so I’m leaning towards taking the plunge on gear and this definitely makes me feel better about spending the money to get fitted up correctly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks everyone, very much appreciate the input! There’s a ski shop right outside of town I can swing by and get fitted up and whatnot. I’m worried about making the trek out somewhere and not having the right equipment available or poorly fitted/uncomfortable rentals I have to jam my feet into like what always happens with ice skating. Plus having the equipment opens up an entirely new winter hobby, so I’m leaning towards taking the plunge on gear and this definitely makes me feel better about spending the money to get fitted up correctly.

Maybe call first? What size clodhoppers you got?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Maybe call first? What size clodhoppers you got?

Nothing exotic, just 14s, but in my experience 13 is the hard cutoff point whether you’re buying shoes or renting them, and it’s just uncomfortable enough on my scuba feet to drive me up the wall.

I feel pretty good about just buying some gear, this has been high up on my list for years now. Been watching some basic instruction videos and kind of get the sense that it’s similar to skating insofar that it’s a lot of learned muscle memory, technique, and a good amount of clumsily picking yourself up off the ground for awhile using muscles you didn’t even know could hurt. I have absolutely no doubt I’m going to wind up looking like a yard sale all over the mountain my first few times out, but I’m really excited to give it a go! A few of my buddies are looking at getting new boots and bindings for their snowboards, so we’re going to make a run to the shop and get fitted up here later today :homebrew:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 13, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So if you're a US 14 then you're likely a mondo 30.5, but might be able to fit a 29.5 if you're lucky.

(I'm size 13/14 and have 29.5 boots)

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

always support your local shop

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So if you're a US 14 then you're likely a mondo 30.5, but might be able to fit a 29.5 if you're lucky.

This is significant downsizing that I wouldn’t recommend to a beginner/intermediate.

Technically a US14 is a mondo 32/32.5

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: deleting goofy beta question.

Also, anyone have a go-to place in central Denver to get BCA air canisters refilled? It’s been two seasons since I tested mine so need to get that done. (No I do not plan on being anywhere near anything over 20° or very far afield, just need to get out)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 13, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I went out yesterday morning after dropping the kids off at preschool with about 14" of fresh on the hill and sunshine. It being a holiday weekend, I feared the worst in terms of traffic and crowds, especially considering my prior experience on a Friday pow day (2 hour drive to go 16 miles, 50 minute first lift line wait), and the experience before that on a Tuesday (hour and a half to make the same drive).

Amazingly, there was basically minimal traffic, ended up going to Alpine Meadows instead of the usual Squaw, had to park in the far lot and take a shuttle but lift lines were pretty minimal (5 minutes at worst, mostly non-existent). It really restored my faith in weekday skiing; I was starting to worry that we were just doomed to have horrible crowds whenever it snowed from now on.

Of course today is apparently a mess and I stayed home.

On a different note, was chatting with a coworker yesterday about regional snow terms, and googled "Cascade Concrete" to find a link to send them about it, and found this somewhat old article:

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/the-good-bad-and-unique-when-it-comes-to-skiing-cascade-concrete/

Which is mostly of interest to me for the following bit:

quote:

He built skis in Tahoe for three and a half years, and says that the snow there is dry but it’s frequently lacking in volume.

...is there a "Tahoe" somewhere in Colorado that I haven't heard about or something?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

In not depressing news, it was a surprise 8" day here in Aspen and the riding was delightful

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

We have 20” forecast over the next week here in the whites :kingsley:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

edit: deleting goofy beta question.

Also, anyone have a go-to place in central Denver to get BCA air canisters refilled? It’s been two seasons since I tested mine so need to get that done. (No I do not plan on being anywhere near anything over 20° or very far afield, just need to get out)

I just go reset it myself and get it filled at an ACE or place that doesn't gouge you (paint ball shops are good). Most "certified" places charge you $25-30 and it takes 1 to 24 hours (what?). Put the O-ring back, little bit of grease, fill it and good to go.

I am curious about your goofy beta question.

Eejit posted:

In not depressing news, it was a surprise 8" day here in Aspen and the riding was delightful

Yeah we got a last min reservation at Keystone and did two quick laps on the front at 2 pm. Got some real good pow and no lines.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I just go reset it myself and get it filled at an ACE or place that doesn't gouge you (paint ball shops are good). Most "certified" places charge you $25-30 and it takes 1 to 24 hours (what?). Put the O-ring back, little bit of grease, fill it and good to go.

Oh ACE will do it eh? There's a nice scuba shop up on 120th and Main in Broomfield. They'd do it while you wait, but I don't find myself up that way these days so need to figure something else out.

quote:

I am curious about your goofy beta question.

Mostly was just wondering about conditions in the front range (thinkin' Jones-ish). I want to get out and do a tour, potentially Monday w/ my dog. I haven't been out this year because reasons, so I only know what I've been reading from the CAIC, which is a poor substitute for first-hand knowledge.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah February is the best

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Holy poo poo conditions are so sketch near Marble that they're closing McClure pass overnight. First time I've seen that in four seasons here.

I have bumped into several people who have been touring up there (Marble) this season and I just don't know where the hell they're going and not instantly dying. Besides Huntsman which is fun and safe. But a cursory look at Caltopo shows it as nothing but avy terrain or terrain connected to avy terrain. And naturally there really isn't anything written on routes up there

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

Oh ACE will do it eh? There's a nice scuba shop up on 120th and Main in Broomfield. They'd do it while you wait, but I don't find myself up that way these days so need to figure something else out.

Mostly was just wondering about conditions in the front range (thinkin' Jones-ish). I want to get out and do a tour, potentially Monday w/ my dog. I haven't been out this year because reasons, so I only know what I've been reading from the CAIC, which is a poor substitute for first-hand knowledge.

Not every Ace will do it but just call around. It is usually less than $10 and they do it right there. Which is the big thing.

So tomorrow will be day 24 in the backcountry in Colorado for me. Plenty of super safe tours out there. If you want to meet up sometime give a holler.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My girlfriend did an avalanche skills course in Leysin because we're touring every time we go out nowadays. Great that she's keen. Also Leysin is super pretty.

I had a nice tour on the marked randonnée trails and down one of the itinéraires here in Grimentz. Also super pretty and our mountains are 50% bigger.

e: just realised you can see Mont Blanc in the background of the Leysin pic so my mountain size boast was BS

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 14, 2021

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

knox_harrington posted:

My girlfriend did an avalanche skills course in Leysin because we're touring every time we go out nowadays. Great that she's keen. Also Leysin is super pretty.

I had a nice tour on the marked randonnée trails and down one of the itinéraires here in Grimentz. Also super pretty and our mountains are 50% bigger.

e: just realised you can see Mont Blanc in the background of the Leysin pic so my mountain size boast was BS

Wait, do you live in Switzerland or are you just visiting? insanely jealous if you live in Grimentz, I've been to Lauterbrunnen/Murren in the summer a few times and it's one place I keep wanting to make it back to in the winter at some point

I made it up to Mt Hood yesterday right as a big storm was hitting Portland. It was the coldest snowboard day I've had in many years, I think the windchill at the top of the lift was -5. It was good to give my new boots (K2 Holgate) a second ride after getting new insoles and heat molding my liners and they feel really great. This is the first pair of boots I've had with boa and they're stiffer than my previous boots and so far I'm pretty happy.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 14, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I moved to Switzerland as a Brexit refugee 3 years ago, and bought a place in Grimentz just before winter 2019. I don't usually live up here, just for weekends and holidays, but I spent half of 2020 up here hiding from the plague.

The Val d'Anniviers generally is really lovely and rarely very busy. Give me a shout if you make it over here.

Had another little tour today.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bawfuls posted:

This is significant downsizing that I wouldn’t recommend to a beginner/intermediate.

Technically a US14 is a mondo 32/32.5

Really glad I went to shop to get fitted up! The googler said 32 for mondo sizing, but the shop had me at like 30 & 1/3, and sold me a 31 which felt great. I don’t remember what brand the boots were, but the guy said they were a little more flexible and good for beginners with room to grow. Also picked up an Elan Element ski set, and they’re fitting the bindings and everything should be ready to pick up here later today!

Now to find a good outer jacket and book some lesson time next weekend :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Another person died yesterday in the backcountry outside Whistler. Two in two days.