Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not clear either, but it appears like they gave the crew like 2 weeks of a crash course in 32nd century tech before sending them on their way

Honestly one of my biggest complaints with Season 3 is that the tech we see is not that impressive for being like 800 years after TNG

I really don't think most TV writers are up to the challenge of writing insane, hyper-advanced, Culture-style futuretech, because it breaks an awful lot of stock stories, scenarios and cliches. The ST:D writers especially are barely capable of decent 'standard' sci-fi plots...

EDIT and I guess that overall people probably don't want extremely speculative sci-fi stories, they want 21st century dramatic situations with more pew pew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not too fussed about that, I'm perfectly willing to accept the Disco conceit of "Warp Drive is the only way to reliably make the laws of physics sit down and shut up so you can travel faster than light, also to do it in a way that makes galactic travel feasible you need dilithium in some sense".

You can refine the engine, you can make it faster or more efficient, and there are other options that are crazy dangerous or unreliable or require rare exotic elements, but there is no breaking past Warp Drive to a 'higher tech level' in Star Trek.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alchenar posted:

I'm not too fussed about that, I'm perfectly willing to accept the Disco conceit of "Warp Drive is the only way to reliably make the laws of physics sit down and shut up so you can travel faster than light, also to do it in a way that makes galactic travel feasible you need dilithium in some sense".

You can refine the engine, you can make it faster or more efficient, and there are other options that are crazy dangerous or unreliable or require rare exotic elements, but there is no breaking past Warp Drive to a 'higher tech level' in Star Trek.

Way back in Encounter at Farpoint, it seemed that even Q was only barely faster than the Enterprise. (Of course, Q might have just been loving with them.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alchenar posted:

What about 'When The Bough Breaks': the Aldeans had a repulsor bean that flung them 3 days away at warp 9, in a matter of seconds?

My partner are going back and forth choosing episodes of TNG and then I'm slowly getting through DS9, very good pandemic TV watching. We have a contest on who will pick the worst episode. I'd like to think we're tied, she picked The Host, but I picked Galaxy's Child.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Powered Descent posted:

(Of course, Q might have just been loving with them.)

Might??

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There are plenty of alternatives to warp, like the Borg transwarp conduits and that ancient race that had stargates but without needing a destination.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Edit: Wrong ST thread sorry

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Did anyone see that the saru's kind doing his weird goku scream and just go "nah I am done with discovery forever" like me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

What about 'When The Bough Breaks': the Aldeans had a repulsor bean that flung them 3 days away at warp 9, in a matter of seconds?

My partner are going back and forth choosing episodes of TNG and then I'm slowly getting through DS9, very good pandemic TV watching. We have a contest on who will pick the worst episode. I'd like to think we're tied, she picked The Host, but I picked Galaxy's Child.

Most of trek (particularly TNG) is not written on the basis that every element of every episode is supposed to form a holistic true picture of this fictional world.

There are things that are consistent, and then there are things that exist for the purposes of one episode's story and and then are never mentioned again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nine-gear crow posted:

For me it was always the USS Dauntless that was my favourite Voyager ship.

This is my anwser as well, it's just stylish as hell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Merde!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbmvEsX5zM

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alchenar posted:

Most of trek (particularly TNG) is not written on the basis that every element of every episode is supposed to form a holistic true picture of this fictional world.

There are things that are consistent, and then there are things that exist for the purposes of one episode's story and and then are never mentioned again.
Right, I remember in the TNG tech guide there's even a statement that the transporter was great because it let them insert the characters into the action and then bring them back, and they even acknowledged that back in TOS there's one episode whose drama could have been entirely resolved by "send a shuttlecraft," but they hadn't yet come up with those.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

It's especially alien tech that just only exists for the episode and does something otherwise impossible. And most of that is just a space wizard did it really, which is fine with me. It's not so much inconsistent as just detached pieces of magic that only work at that specific time/space.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not clear either, but it appears like they gave the crew like 2 weeks of a crash course in 32nd century tech before sending them on their way

Honestly one of my biggest complaints with Season 3 is that the tech we see is not that impressive for being like 800 years after TNG

The controls are all gooey now. Future!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The evil AI that Discovery brought with it should have merged with programmable matter.
That would have been a loving excellent ramping up of the odds.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

The super-warp drive from 'By Any Other Name', that could take a starship to Ludicrous Speed for decades on end without overstressing it... boy howdy would that have been useful for generations to come if it hadn't been locked away next to the Lost Ark. (Same with the 'D20-'em-up' device; Janeway would have found good uses for that in more than one episode.)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Discovery needs a Q episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Animal-Mother posted:

It definitely needs a 'weird poo poo' episode. The closest it's gone so far is the S1 time loop, and the bits with Carl this latest season. Disco should do something like The Royale, or Move Along Home. Where's the giant green space hand, or getting trapped in the clown computer dimension?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

*blinks in*
Q: poo poo, why did I faff about with you monkeys and that bald captain if I knew most of you would all blow up later. Makes my past endeavors to help you lot look pointless now.
*blinks out*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It just occurred to me that with the android tech we see on Picard, what's stopping someone from using that to make people immortal like they basically could have done with Picard? The tech is there!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It just occurred to me that with the android tech we see on Picard, what's stopping someone from using that to make people immortal like they basically could have done with Picard? The tech is there!

They are like KFC.
Only one person knows the secret ingredients to making immortal bodies, Dr Soong.

Would have been funny if Discovery landed in the future and Admiral Frowny Face went 'poo poo you must be from the past, you are still meat' and his face opened Ghost in the Shell style.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

happyhippy posted:

They are like KFC.
Only one person knows the secret ingredients to making immortal bodies, Dr Soong.

Would have been funny if Discovery landed in the future and Admiral Frowny Face went 'poo poo you must be from the past, you are still meat' and his face opened Ghost in the Shell style.
Considering what Picard did with synthetic lifeforms that would make more sense

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

TNG also created a "biological imortality" device by using the transporter to de-age people's DNA like Paulaski and what happened to Picard, Ro and Guinan in Rascals.

It's one of those "please god, don't think about it" plot contrivances.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

TNG also created a "biological imortality" device by using the transporter to de-age people's DNA like Paulaski and what happened to Picard, Ro and Guinan in Rascals.

It's one of those "please god, don't think about it" plot contrivances.
That also reminded me that we found out how Soong made an android far superior to Data and on par with Soji from Picard when he made the Juliana Tainer one (Data's 'mom'). She was completely indistinguishable from human, and the only reason anyone found out is because she got injured.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

It definitely needs a 'weird poo poo' episode. The closest it's gone so far is the S1 time loop, and the bits with Carl this latest season. Disco should do something like The Royale, or Move Along Home. Where's the giant green space hand, or getting trapped in the clown computer dimension?

It's hard to do that if you're trying to do a show with a serialized season long plot and you only have ten episodes to do it in. If you want those sorts of episodes, make the show episodic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Season seven was really the moms season

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pick posted:

Season seven was really the moms season

Read this is the Morns season. Ah, Morn.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

HopperUK posted:

Read this is the Morns season. Ah, Morn.

I would mourn for Morn

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mars Needs Morns

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Morn was in DISCO

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is Discovery the first series without Majel Barrett-Roddenberry?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

On Enterprise she isn't really around, except for two episodes that aren't set on the NX-01

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FlamingLiberal posted:

On Enterprise she isn't really around, except for two episodes that aren't set on the NX-01

She did play the computer in the last episode of ENT I believe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nessus posted:

Right, I remember in the TNG tech guide there's even a statement that the transporter was great because it let them insert the characters into the action and then bring them back, and they even acknowledged that back in TOS there's one episode whose drama could have been entirely resolved by "send a shuttlecraft," but they hadn't yet come up with those.

The transporter quite literally exists because the Anderson Company would have never been able to execute the planetary landing shots on-time to meet TOS' shooting schedule, and Roddenberry and particularly Justman realized they needed a backup plan. And thus the transporter was born.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

The transporter quite literally exists because the Anderson Company would have never been able to execute the planetary landing shots on-time to meet TOS' shooting schedule, and Roddenberry and particularly Justman realized they needed a backup plan. And thus the transporter was born.

The transporter rules and saved us from SW sequel disease where they have to show everyone next to their ship landing every single time in case otherwise you'd be confused how people got from one planet to a different one every single time it happened

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

She did play the computer in the last episode of ENT I believe.
Yes, on the Enterprise D

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I am surprised there is no voice activated windows/mac overlay with her voice on the market to buy.
A whole lot of nerds like myself would love that poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I am surprised there is no voice activated windows/mac overlay with her voice on the market to buy.
A whole lot of nerds like myself would love that poo poo.

IIRC they recorded her voice before her death, getting all the syllables and whatnot so they could reconstruct at any point?

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/roddenberry/status/772493204121944066

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alchenar posted:

It's been pretty consistent across Trek (until now) that warp drive is both constantly being improved upon and that there are ongoing efforts to develop alternatives to it. Discovery, with all the care it showed to portraying a harmonious and respectful past of the franchise, also showed us a future that bore little resemblance to "things that are consistent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Didn't they re-write the warp speed scale like twice now?

TOS warp being reworked for TNG, TNG going fuckit warp 13 or something in the finale. And then we have an obvious new scale cause of... Threshold...