Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh you've got a boat?

The luxury vessel Acrophobia, emblazoned with the moto "we do not use extremely high commodes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

The luxury vessel Acrophobia, emblazoned with the moto "we do not use extremely high commodes".

I was thinking more about a Dave Matthews Scenario.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I understood the poop drop notion but had never heard of that incident :lol: humanity is just the worst.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was thinking more about a Dave Matthews Scenario.

shat from high
in my eyes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tater_salad posted:

Ohh I just noticed.. I'm the washer n dryer like in the bedroom. Guess I can't really toss some clothes in before I go to bed then eh?

Splicer posted:

Nah you turn it on when you go to bed for the soothing white noise effect.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but washing machines and dryers have always put me right the gently caress to sleep. Might be the autism.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but washing machines and dryers have always put me right the gently caress to sleep. Might be the autism.

i could problby not go to sleep with the constant on off flow of water, rotational vibration and the like.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

They have machines that make white noise while consuming a fraction of the power of your dryer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Warmachine posted:

They have machines that make white noise while consuming a fraction of the power of your dryer.

But enough talking about your mom.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I use an app on my phone.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

tater_salad posted:

i could problby not go to sleep with the constant on off flow of water, rotational vibration and the like.

Join the navy. You can get all that, plus a bunk that is bolted directly to some piece of crucial equipment that vibrates like a brick in a dryer inside a larger dryer!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Join the navy. You can get all that, plus a bunk that is bolted directly to some piece of crucial equipment that vibrates like a brick in a dryer inside a larger dryer!

bad for sleeping on but might be good for sleeping with another adventurous seaman.
gotta take the good with the bed.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

By popular demand posted:

While we're still on the razorblade digression I'd like to mention the only cultural reference to that awful 'Just slip the razors here and let the next house owner deal with it' vanity space:
In the 1996 game Bad Mojo you play as a cockroach, to get past a hungry rat you have to drop a stack of used razors on it.

pic not embeded for photorealistic rat cut by razors.
:nms:https://images.gog-statics.com/bbba4614793dbe8f140f9cf05b3355554704769e252633894707725ef7a630d8_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg:nms:

I've never played the game, and I instantly knew what image it was. Huh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Computer viking posted:

I've never played the game, and I instantly knew what image it was. Huh.

I remember that game when it came out - I was working for CompUSA, and we had it on demo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

And if it stops shaking it wakes you up like a bucket of water to the face! (If you're in engineering)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Man, even Putin can't avoid crappy construction. 'Putin's palace': Builders' story of luxury, mould and fake walls

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think that piling up razor blades in a wall cavity is the worst idea people of that era had. :can:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Led based paint and asbestos sure are strong contenders.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
I dunno what u're talking about! I gru up in a hous with led paint, and I turnded out fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think that piling up razor blades in a wall cavity is the worst idea people of that era had. :can:

Yeah fully agree. It's a minor inconvenience at worse when remodeling, provided you even remove drywall which I personally tried to avoid.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You know you're staying in a classy joint when the crapper seat has been spray painted.

That's how you get a 5 star rating.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Platystemon posted:

Hell, the last place I rented a few years ago still had the razor slot, I used the hell out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would use a razor blade slot if the place I were living had one. I figure that if there is already a small heap of blade in there, making it a large heap doesn’t materially change the hazard it poses.

I would not add a razor slot to a renovation or new construction because as they become less common, people doing demolition become less likely to expect them, and it’s not that much of a hassle to use a proper blade bank.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't think the blades would pose that much of a hazard anyway. Anyone who could get to them would (hopefully) be wearing PPE.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Platystemon posted:

I would use a razor blade slot if the place I were living had one. I figure that if there is already a small heap of blade in there, making it a large heap doesn’t materially change the hazard it poses.

I would not add a razor slot to a renovation or new construction because as they become less common, people doing demolition become less likely to expect them, and it’s not that much of a hassle to use a proper blade bank.

Nothing has ever stopped anyone putting an actual box behind the wall slot so that razors don't just go everywhere inside the cavity, other the fact that it'd cost a few dollars more and would require the slightest amount of forethought.

Actually the forethought was probably the main hurdle, given this was the same generation turning out life hacks like "pour used engine oil into a hole in the ground, it'll be fine"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nothing has ever stopped anyone putting an actual box behind the wall slot so that razors don't just go everywhere inside the cavity, other the fact that it'd cost a few dollars more and would require the slightest amount of forethought.

Actually the forethought was probably the main hurdle, given this was the same generation turning out life hacks like "pour used engine oil into a hole in the ground, it'll be fine"

Oil came from the ground! You're just putting it back where you found it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Who can tell us what's wrong with this skate park?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skateboards dont roll well on grass, but it sure looks safe

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My vote is the nice reflective steel that's going to heat up to skillet temps in the summer sun.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

8one6 posted:

My vote is the nice reflective steel that's going to heat up to skillet temps in the summer sun.

Someone didn't play on stainless slides as a kid. That will stop exactly no one from playing on it. In fact, it becomes a machismo thing. You don't wanna be the six year old too scared to ride the hell slide do you?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kid sinister posted:

Who can tell us what's wrong with this skate park?

LEED certified skate park, they were able to keep the impervious area of the project down by considering alternative surface types instead of concrete

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

not sure if this is crappy construction but it is certainly crappy renovation

beforehttps://ranchophotos.com/mls/1875-tuna-canyon-rd/
after https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1875-Tuna-Canyon-Rd_Topanga_CA_90290_M13571-54995

we definitely needed less counterspace and less cabinetry here sure

I like how they removed like half the storage. Along with the towel hooks next to the shower. And they made it a single vanity.

Linen closets, who needs 'em? also why put in a glass door to the bathroom

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This renovation is like how bad movies use white to signify THE FUTURE.

Also who In their right mind prefer sterile shining white bedroom over the calm wood paneling?! I don't want to feel like I've been abducted by aliens every goddamn morning.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 14, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That is loving criminal.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Goddamnit, the original may have gone overboard on wood paneling, but it was really nice wood paneling and you can tell they didn't update any of the mechanicals because all the lights and plumbing fixtures and poo poo are in the same place.

poo poo, I know a place that will make you custom cabinets, hardwood veneer over solid pine, in China for super cheap that will tastefully update that kitchen.

It's just so thoughtlessly done.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Goddamnit, the original may have gone overboard on wood paneling, but it was really nice wood paneling and you can tell they didn't update any of the mechanicals because all the lights and plumbing fixtures and poo poo are in the same place.

poo poo, I know a place that will make you custom cabinets, hardwood veneer over solid pine, in China for super cheap that will tastefully update that kitchen.

It's just so thoughtlessly done.

That kitchen looked like it was set up so that who ever is cooking can interact with guests as opposed to being exiled away. And the update killed that.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

my favorite part is where they removed the goddamn hand rails from the stairs to the entrance

rip big ol cactus

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Youth Decay posted:

my favorite part is where they removed the goddamn hand rails from the stairs to the entrance

rip big ol cactus

Losing those handrails is a terrible idea. Those steps look pretty steep. Also, that cactus was probably growing there for years! Way to lose all that history!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:mad: why would you paint hardwood floors like that?!?!? And white too?!?! Good lord they're going to look like poo poo a day after people start walking on them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

You know you're staying in a classy joint when the crapper seat has been spray painted.

That's how you get a 5 star rating.

I once lived in a motel with a beer bottle opener screwed into the vanity over a trash can. Nothing has ever made me think "yes, this is my life now" quite like that bottle opener and it pales in comparison to "spray painted toilet seat."

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Thinkwert/status/1360411326678466565