Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
"It couldn't have happened because of the timeline" ... Doesn't show any evidence to contradict the timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1360312254512701444?s=19

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
My client couldn't have planned a coup because he's such good friends with the state security services is also a hell of a take.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

My client couldn't have planned a coup because he's such good friends with the state security services is also a hell of a take.

"Not to be confused with the Deep State, who hates his guts"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Oh god he's going through Brandenburg again.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1360312986993385479?s=19

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1360313692810862593?s=19

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Oh god he's going through Brandenburg again.

"To prove my client's innocence let me again reiterate this thing that proves he's guilty"

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Sounds like we need to call some witnesses.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This is the most bad faith that it will be the benchmark for all bad faith in the future.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SwimNurd posted:

Sounds like we need to call some witnesses.

Can that still happen?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

At least the defense lawyers know this is all bullshit, the verdict is predetermined, and they’re phoning it in

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Whose job would it be to enforce it?

Police officers, lawyers, judge and jury are all (EDIT: in theory) under the same law they work to enforce. In the scenario of being able to actually fix this hot mess of a system, the same should be true for members of Congress. If one of them breaks a law a legal trial (not a political one like this gong show) is held, and must work the same as any other legal trial. Senators can still be the jury, but the legal process should function the same as it does for anyone else otherwise.

And yes I know, that would take a historically big amendment of the constitution

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 12, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Can that still happen?

Yup

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Cool cool cool so they're just gonna replay the same video over and over.

Trump's lawyer doesn't know if he's under oath.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Then call all those Trumpists who feel like he threw them under the bus.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
He doesn’t know whether he’s under oath or not?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

GutBomb posted:

He doesn’t know whether he’s under oath or not?

He sure as hell felt it!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So he's accusing them of lying again. I bet that's going to go real well for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Can that still happen?

yeah, and it might very well happen. the defense have shown its needed.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rabble posted:

Cool cool cool so they're just gonna replay the same video over and over.

Trump's lawyer doesn't know if he's under oath.

It's going to own when Trump's entire legal team gets charged with perjury and Trump still get's acquitted

...Did I say own? I meant suck hard

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Orthanc6 posted:

Police officers, lawyers, judge and jury are all under the same law they work to enforce. In the scenario of being able to actually fix this hot mess of a system, the same should be true for members of Congress. If one of them breaks a law a legal trial (not a political one like this gong show) is held, and must work the same as any other legal trial. Senators can still be the jury, but the legal process should function the same as it does for anyone else otherwise.

And yes I know, that would take a historically big amendment of the constitution

Requiring a bad actor to break a law before they can be removed from office seems like a really huge loophole that will be ripe for abuse.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This dude sure doesn't know a lot about the prosecution's evidence.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
this argument about him "fool me once, shame on me, etc". Doesn't really hold up well for these guys since they're lying about things.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’m not sure which Senator I hate the most - either Cruz or Graham for their amount of lovely weasel ness. I mean, Mitch McConnell is a given, but these two specifically seem to do the most of amount of stupid acts that would and should get anyone fired from a job.

Hating Mitch McConnell is like hating entropy, or death: you can do it as hard as you want but it never made any difference to it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
WHY IS THERE MUSIC!

gently caress YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Uhh so doesn't this go to the Brandenburg test that there was evidence that if the Rally happened then there would be violence??

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rabble posted:

This dude sure doesn't know a lot about the prosecution's evidence.

That's because they were outside the Senate chamber doing Fox interviews.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

This can't be a crime, it was premeditated!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
My loving question is if this was premeditated then why didn't Trump call off the rally??

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
HE LIED ABOUT WHAT THE CALL WAS ABOUT gently caress YOUUUUUUU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
So the entire defense is just "He didn't explicitly say 'Attack the Capitol' and therefore isn't guilty for inciting," huh?

E: "Ammiters"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

So the entire defense is just "He didn't explicitly say 'Attack the Capitol' and therefore isn't guilty for inciting," huh?
Everybody knew that the people at the rally were there to commit violence, so when Trump told them to march on the Capital he did nothing wrong because the First Amendment and also many Democrats have used the word "fight" before.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
Honestly, if they didn't have the majority of republicans in their pocket. He would be convicted. These are the worst lawyers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

They don't have the real tweets because TRUMP'S ACCOUNT GOT BANNED FOR INCITING VIOLENCE LOL.

All of the tweets are archived.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

All of the tweets are archived.

yeah but its all badfaith bullshit.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This loving music what the gently caress

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Uh, I am not a lawyer but I am very interested to hear an actual lawyer's take on this.

On a scale of 1 to Incredibly Stupid, how dumb is it that a lawyer representing Trump is doubling down on the Georgia fraud arguments while there's still a pending investigation and potential litigation?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So this dude's whole argument is based on the assumption that object permanence is just a theory, right?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Requiring a bad actor to break a law before they can be removed from office seems like a really huge loophole that will be ripe for abuse.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, right now with a 2/3rds majority vote they can kick anyone out for literally any reason, legal or not. A good argument can be made that one would usually have to at least break some law before you could convince 2/3rds of the Senate to kick anyone out, but that's not so much an issue of functionality as it is of practicality.

For anyone not in power this is a bad system, it should be proven that a person broke a law before they receive any kind of punishment. I believe those in power should be held to a higher standard, and thus higher consequence. I think a 2/3rds kick-out vote is good to keep in, but would add that political leaders at any and all levels should be subject to the same laws and process everyone else is. So when Ted Cruz met with Trump's defense today, the defense should be charged with tampering with the jury, and Cruz charged with contempt of court.

The only tweak to fix the issues and maybe get these idiots out would be to reduce the vote-out to a simple majority. But other than that, if they don't break a law (they of course have broken laws) we can't punish them, or else we are being the partisan hacks that they projection accuse us to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xaiter posted:

Uh, I am not a lawyer but I am very interested to hear an actual lawyer's take on this.

On a scale of 1 to Incredibly Stupid, how dumb is it that a lawyer representing Trump is doubling down on the Georgia fraud arguments while there's still a pending investigation and potential litigation?

he is doing what trump wants but in his own way. trump wanted them to talk about fraud, so he is, but he is trying to tie it into the thesis statement.