Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Oh gently caress yes, this is such an insane take that I’m kind of here for it

https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/1360290227600977921?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Kiper's evolution from lone draft guy to craziest hottake draft guy has been pretty fascinating. Anything to get those eyeballs.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mel Kiper was dimissed as a hot take artist for this. Heed his call.

quote:

On a conference call last month, Kiper Jr. offered this defense of Allen.

"You have to look beyond the stats," Kiper Jr. said. "Stats are for losers in my opinion in a lot of ways. The kid won. You say what was his record? When he was out there, they won football games."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Justin Fields is starting to get underrated.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
After Justin Herbert I've thrown my hands up on guessing on QBs. I don't know and most people don't seem to know so whatever go for the lottery ticket.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to do my mock draft game again this year. Probably will open the thread mid March.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm going to do my mock draft game again this year. Probably will open the thread mid March.

I'm happy to take Houston :v:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Eifert Posting posted:

I’ve been the Jets the past couple years and would love to do them again

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I think you folks are mixing up Eifert's mock draft game (which was very fun and which I will happily suck at again this year) with the Goon Draft (which is also very fun and which I tentatively plan to start up sometime around April 1)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

After Justin Herbert I've thrown my hands up on guessing on QBs. I don't know and most people don't seem to know so whatever go for the lottery ticket.

i told you all

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

ShakeZula posted:

I think you folks are mixing up Eifert's mock draft game (which was very fun and which I will happily suck at again this year) with the Goon Draft (which is also very fun and which I tentatively plan to start up sometime around April 1)

I'm looking forward to defending my mock draft prediction championship and ruining a draft for some team as GM.

I'm resigning as Texans GM though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm looking forward to defending my mock draft prediction championship and ruining a draft for some team as GM.

I'm resigning as Texans GM though.

drat, Easterby's purge continues

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

ShakeZula posted:

drat, Easterby's purge continues

I've not been the best GM to be fair. Never drafted a QB.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah mine is a more traditional 1st round mock. I just came up with a way to assign a point value.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

mcmagic posted:

I think Justin Fields is starting to get underrated.

There's never been a successful franchise QB out of Ohio State despite their zillion titles

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

D-LINK posted:

There's never been a successful franchise QB out of Ohio State despite their zillion titles

This is true, the guy from BYU is obviously a safer bet. Or maybe the one from North Dakota State.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I mean both have had better QBs than Ohio state

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

ShakeZula posted:

This is true, the guy from BYU is obviously a safer bet. Or maybe the one from North Dakota State.

Steve Young and Josh Allen are both better than anything that's thrown passes in the NFL from OSU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Josh Allen played at Wyoming, didn't he? I'll concede BYU though, even if it has been about 30 years.

OSU historically hasn't really been a team that prioritized passing, so most of the guys who have come through are either game manager types or tiny speedsters who can work the RPO. Fields is different though, he's mobile but he's an NFL-style passer who I think can have success in the league. The knock on him in my mind is relatively small sample size.

Thinking about I actually wonder if there's any college program that could make a claim at being "QBU," the way that some schools just churn out great RBs or WRs or DBs. Most of the NFL greats seem to come from all kinds of random places, and most of the college powerhouses seem to have a spotty-at-best record of producing great NFL QBs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Josh Allen played at Wyoming, didn't he? I'll concede BYU though, even if it has been about 30 years.

OSU historically hasn't really been a team that prioritized passing, so most of the guys who have come through are either game manager types or tiny speedsters who can work the RPO. Fields is different though, he's mobile but he's an NFL-style passer who I think can have success in the league. The knock on him in my mind is relatively small sample size.

Thinking about I actually wonder if there's any college program that could make a claim at being "QBU," the way that some schools just churn out great RBs or WRs or DBs. Most of the NFL greats seem to come from all kinds of random places, and most of the college powerhouses seem to have a spotty-at-best record of producing great NFL QBs.

NC State

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
BYU's blocking both on the line and from their WRs was pretty great. Lots of people buying into the offensive scheme. That Rex dude they got at TE looks like he might be a stud too. Zach Wilson's got a perfectly fine arm and appears to have that knack for running the ball that will make him a threat for designed runs. His deep ball is kinda weak though. Other than that I don't know how people can put on tape, watch him throw dimes everywhere in the intermediate and short game even with off balance throws and think that it's not applicable to today's NFL. I think people hate him because he's a one year wonder and has a weird baby face but he's kind of the ideal QB for what a lot of teams are trying to mimic right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D-LINK posted:

I don't think this actually matters at all but it is crazy, it's not just that they've never had a franchise quarterback. I am fairly sure they never produced a quarterback that started a whole season except for Tom Tupa, who did so because he was a punter.

Mike Tomczak would be the closest but he had one 15 game season and the rest of his career was either getting yanked or going in for someone who got yanked, etc.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

terrelle pryor was a neat gadget player for a couple years and you can't take that away from osu, unlike all of their wins with terrelle pryor

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think this actually matters at all but it is crazy, it's not just that they've never had a franchise quarterback. I am fairly sure they never produced a quarterback that started a whole season except for Tom Tupa, who did so because he was a punter.

Mike Tomczak would be the closest but he had one 15 game season and the rest of his career was either getting yanked or going in for someone who got yanked, etc.

Troy Smith probably would've started a full season for the Ravens if he hadn't gotten tonsillitis that forced rookie Joe Flacco into action early.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Fields is way different than all other OSU QBs before him. He was tasked with a ton of difficult timing routes because everyone was sitting in a zone against him. Teague was nothing and Sermon wasn't used properly until the playoffs so he had to sit there waiting for his WRs to stretch the field. He gets knocks for holding the ball for too long because of this. There's also this weird idea that pro style is like infallible and never loses. Indiana got up in his face with pressure all game and had good coverage and he didn't have his starting WRs for Northwestern. poo poo happens. Other than that the guys put up nothing but stellar tape. The guys got a cannon, can run the RPO, and makes smart decisions with dimes all over the field. The worst thing I can say about him is he lofts balls a bit too much when he could just level his passes out. He does it but not all the time for some reason and I don't know why. His form is as perfect as Lawrences' so I guess it's just a weird habit of his to rainbow when he shouldn't? I dunno.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tom Tupa also heroically quarterbacked the Jets to a near victory over the hated Patriots after Vinny Testeverde popped his Achilles game 1 1999.

We only lost because loving Parcells pulled Tupa for Rick Mirer.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Alright staring down Rousseau and Phillips is killing me for more opinions. Finding myself heavily favoring Phillips.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Man, I can't wait to dominate the goon draft again. Ceedee and Herbert was a knockout first round.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
alright nerds listen up here's a rundown of the top 5 qbs in this draft as gone by their typical draft slot in these dumb rear end mocks

Trey Lance: Like a $2 1 grand per week for life scratcher at the gas station. good chance you get jack poo poo, poor chance you get life changing ability. but there's a chance dammit. and i'm willing to gamble on the bison. let him sit for a year since he has very little experience and then lt him run loving wild. he's #2 on my personal list

Mac Jones: body of a loving champion and i don't ever want to doubt him. too bad he loving sucks lmfao. he'll probably be a very good backup qb but i definitely aint spending a first on him. gently caress bammer

Justin Fields: Black Jake Locker

Zach Wilson: pretty boy pirma donna zoob loser. if a new york team drafts him it's going to be an incredible meltdown. now when that coastal carolina qb is eligible? then we'll talk

Trevor Lawrence: Yeah he's going to be loving great for his second team after he's slightly too good to be ruined by the Jags and bolts for more money and a much better franchise almost anywhere else once his rookie deal is up. Assuming Urban doesn't try to run him 15 times a game and scrambles his brains his rookie year

there you go, there's your 'round 1' qbs enjoy. hope my idiot loving team doesn't pick any of these idiots past lawrence except for lance if he falls

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Roasted Donut posted:

alright nerds listen up here's a rundown of the top 5 qbs in this draft as gone by their typical draft slot in these dumb rear end mocks

Trey Lance: Like a $2 1 grand per week for life scratcher at the gas station. good chance you get jack poo poo, poor chance you get life changing ability. but there's a chance dammit. and i'm willing to gamble on the bison. let him sit for a year since he has very little experience and then lt him run loving wild. he's #2 on my personal list

Mac Jones: body of a loving champion and i don't ever want to doubt him. too bad he loving sucks lmfao. he'll probably be a very good backup qb but i definitely aint spending a first on him. gently caress bammer

Zach Wilson: pretty boy pirma donna zoob loser. if a new york team drafts him it's going to be an incredible meltdown. now when that coastal carolina qb is eligible? then we'll talk

Trevor Lawrence: Yeah he's going to be loving great for his second team after he's slightly too good to be ruined by the Jags and bolts for more money and a much better franchise almost anywhere else once his rookie deal is up. Assuming Urban doesn't try to run him 15 times a game and scrambles his brains his rookie year

there you go, there's your 'round 1' qbs enjoy. hope my idiot loving team doesn't pick any of these idiots past lawrence except for lance if he falls

yeah but did you watch a bunch of tape on youtube? do yo uwant to desperately be the tff mel kiper?

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Roasted Donut posted:

I think it's awful generous to assume Treveor Lawerence is is too good to be ruined

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

[doltos aping a generic around the horn guy voice] Justin Fields. Do it all Black Jake Locker type that sticks anyone he meets, rush through his progressions, and overthrows. One year wonder that makes you wonder who the gently caress would pick this jackass. You can probably get a ton of gushing reports about him but basically they'll all say the same thing: he sucks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is some serious projection

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doltos posted:

This is some serious projection

I forgot where I made my post ranking my QB prospects. Can you link me?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Borsche69 posted:

[doltos aping a generic around the horn guy voice] Justin Fields. Do it all Black Jake Locker type that sticks anyone he meets, rush through his progressions, and overthrows. One year wonder that makes you wonder who the gently caress would pick this jackass. You can probably get a ton of gushing reports about him but basically they'll all say the same thing: he sucks.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

As usual Raiders fans are loving based

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
here are my draft rankings for 2021:

1. Whoever the bengals pick
2. Every other player except
3. the players Daltos thinks are good

and that’s all she wrote. please like and subscribe

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Borsche69 posted:

I forgot where I made my post ranking my QB prospects. Can you link me?

I meant the attention seeking part

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doltos posted:

I meant the attention seeking part

Did I say you were seeking attention or is that such an ingrained character trait that you inherently think anyone busting your balls must be accusing you of it? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I dunno man why else would you do this every year