Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
It's worth noting that assholes smart map makers will sometimes use the ingrained response most Doom players have to archviles against you. I've died an embarrassing number of times on different wads by getting tunnel vision trying to kill the archvile that just popped up in my face while something else walked up behind me and clawed me to death.

I used to be terrified of archviles as a kid. I remember playing Final Doom on the PSX and I had to wait for my dad to get home and complete Hunted for me because I was way too scared. None of the rest of the monsters bothered me. I always wanted to cuddle the Pain Elementals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKtEJk6vSus

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I used to be terrified of archviles as a kid. I remember playing Final Doom on the PSX and I had to wait for my dad to get home and complete Hunted for me because I was way too scared.

and this username is how you thank him?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

He is taking the knee. Respect.

A teaser of the next map:

Oh, I thought I had this map, another one and the secret map, but I was wrong. That was the last one.

Map 16

That said, it was a good map to end. Gorgeous in looks, it's divided in
The start. You against a CD in a narrow corridor, and later some platforming. A nasty warm-up.
The first fight. Two pillar-CDs, a few Mancubus and Archviles, and two skellies groups seated as a 'chorus'. Knowing how to prioritize in the first 30 seconds, and after that is a question of having patience and not rushing it.
The second fight. Imp Invasion! with a pair of stuck CDs. Not as hard as I feared, actually, take the supercharges at the right times and stun the imps with the chaingun while moving around you can use the inner circle or the outer one, leaving the CDs for the end. A fun one.
The third fight. A bit harder, an intense fight with roaming CDs and Archviles, thanks god there is good cover and more importantly lots of skellies that will take care of killing the CD.
The last fight. Frantic start with CDs at every corner and more presiding the fight from above in a central pillar in front. You have to kill each one in the corner and activate a button, but the first one will trigger the rest of the fight, which being the last fight, it's just a big varied mess of monsters to kill. Have fun!

Map 31
Short. But well, I'd say it's spoiler to say what it is about, so have a link instead of a timg!
https://i.imgur.com/50Z29DJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sFFSXtM.jpg

I'd say I liked most of the maps, except 9 and 10. 4 was a bit weak too.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 9, 2021

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Another handy Arch-vile tip: They don't move when doing their flame attack. It seems obvious but this means you can run right up in their face and get them to start their attack, preventing them from moving around the area. Super handy if you're stuck with one in limited cover (and lots of monster corpses around), or if a bunch are about to run out of a monster-wide closet (preventing others from running out past the attacking one). You can also game this to get an Arch-Vile stuck at specific points where their attack would get caught on wall geometry.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

Another handy Arch-vile tip: They don't move when doing their flame attack. It seems obvious but this means you can run right up in their face and get them to start their attack, preventing them from moving around the area. Super handy if you're stuck with one in limited cover (and lots of monster corpses around), or if a bunch are about to run out of a monster-wide closet (preventing others from running out past the attacking one). You can also game this to get an Arch-Vile stuck at specific points where their attack would get caught on wall geometry.

An edge case: Archviles are much easier to deal with on Nightmare/Fast Monsters. They're completely predictable, and just stepping out of cover is enough to keep them rooted to the ground for extended periods of time.

edit: I just finished phase 3 of the scripting for the final arena of my map. At 1245 lines of script so far, I might actually finish a first draft of this map by the end of the month.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 10, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So, basically, Archviles have a number of traits that, in combination, force players to adopt some very specific behaviours to respond to them when they show up.

You've probably intuited most of these, but for completeness sake:

• Their attacks hurt. You absolutely do not want to take the hit, ever.
  • Uniquely, you cannot dodge these attacks or hide from them behind other monsters: if an Archvile can see you, it can kill you.
  • They have a very low pain chance- you can never rely on interrupting an attack once it's started.
  • They have enough health that the list of ways to take one out before it can get an attack off is very short indeed.
  • They can resurrect other monsters, which means that, provided they have corpses, every second one is active is a second the situation is getting worse.
  • Unlike everything else, they will always switch targets when they get hit, which means you can't rely on infighting to keep one off you while you pound on it. (Though it does also mean they're easily distracted in big fights, a small mercy)
  • They're noodle-thin and move like greased eels, so they can be hard to hit with projectiles and surprisingly quick to hunt you down if you hide.

All of which means you're under pressure to take one out as soon as possible, and to absolutely avoid contact with it by any means- two pressures which contradict each other but nevertheless need to be addressed simultaneously, and at greater priority than anything short of a point-blank chaingunner. If they're placed in such a way as to make taking them out unfeasible, then this entire dimension of LOS-management is added to whatever else the player is tasked with dealing with. If they're placed so that they can't attack but can resurrect things then that creates another sort of hard point in the level design.

So you can make fights like this one in Sunlust, which is, uhhh, fairly well known:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilaew6xGtXw&t=114s

(@1:54 ish)

I'm posting like I'm an authority on this but I promise you I'm really not.

I never played Sunlust and I laughed out loud at how clever that is. Gonna have to play this!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

After finishing up Doom Zero I decided to revisit the original Plutonia Experiment. I'm glad I did because I remember despising it when I first played a long time ago. Now I recognize its greatness.

It threw me for a loop though. I find all of Ultimate Doom and Doom II so mindlessly easy even on Ultra-Violence. I was not expecting to get my rear end handed to me with this one, assuming it was going to be an easy ride just because it's a retail WAD. It only took until map 3 for me to drop my no-save rule, thanks to that arch-vile trap in the red key room :argh:

Map 15: The Twilight is the best by a huge margin. Most of Plutonia is tight and action packed but this one cranks it to 11. It's loving impossible if you don't know where the secrets are though. It would be wise of you to look for them. Also listen to this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMtKRv2fGE
(PSA: please play Plutonia with plutmid.wad)

The worst are probably Maps 24: The Final Frontier and 26: Anti-Christ. Can people please stop making these cave levels with the tall rear end cliffs please? They're just needlessly irritating in a game in which you were never meant to look up or down. 24 in particular has a really mean part involving navigating a long, skinny, twisty catwalk with a baron on it while a cyberdemon shoots at you from across the arena.

Actually a lot of maps after 20 are duds, which is so disappointing after such a strong first two thirds.

Best maps
  • 06: Baron's Lair
  • 11: Hunted
  • 12: Speed
  • 15: The Twilight
  • 18: Neurosphere
  • 31: Cyberden

Worst maps
  • 21: Slayer
  • 24: The Final Frontier
  • 26: Bunker
  • 28: Anti-Christ
  • 29: Odyssey of Noises

It's my understanding that Odyssey of Noises is a fan favorite but I hated that map. It was a close runner up with Anti-Christ for worst. Plutonia was all about high-octane fights in compact spaces for 30 maps and then at the penultimate level you're put in a sprawling city running around it for keys and switches? It sucks. Sorry :colbert:

It wasn't necessarily a bad map in its own right. It just feel like it's out of place in Plutonia.

Summary:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 10, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Map29 is an incredible city level, but it's still a city level. It was really cool back in the day especially with Downtown being so trash, but it's not great design by modern standards, city layouts just don't make for engaging maps. Walking around between buildings and turning a corner to see a whole crowd of demons and revenants screaming toward me is still one of my favorite Doom memories, though. Running from that sort of hot bother down alleyways was literally poo poo I'd dreamt of as a kid.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Map29 is an incredible city level, but it's still a city level. It was really cool back in the day especially with Downtown being so trash, but it's not great design by modern standards, city layouts just don't make for engaging maps.

Yeah that's a fair assessment. I'll take Odyssey of Noises over any of the typical Petersen garbage any day.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

quote:

archviles everywhere.

That's all a ton of great information. Mostly my strategy is to blast them until I'm on fire and then try to remember where the nearest wall was and hide behind hit. I was probably a little over the top with that post, it was just a grind. I remember at one point saying aloud "what's on this lift?" *humps wall* "an archvile, of course" *blast blast blast*.

Maybe Hunted will be better but if all you have is a SS, maybe it won't be. Either way I'm excited for Plutonia. I just want to get through the micro slaughter and btsx-2 first. I'm real bad about not finishing projects...

Good soup! posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been

300 CONFIRMED KILLS!

I think pain elementals are the critter I most dislike fighting in the game. If I don't address them immediately, the room is filled with flying assholes and I like to use the rocket launcher quite a bit.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1359575003092688899

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

That makes me think I should finish TNT just so I have the right to complain about it some more. I mean what were we thinkin' back in the 90s, c'mon!?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I would still take it over Plutonia any day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

anilEhilated posted:

I would still take it over Plutonia any day.

source your quotes

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I prefer TNT too. There are dozens of us. Dozens!

Got a few more slaughtermaps done after work. We're on the home stretch now!

MAP11 - Team Rocket Slaughter
I really like how tight this map is, and how it switches up the by-now familiar crowd control formula by drip feeding a constant supply of monsters in from the edges of the room.

Other than nimble footwork and careful aim, the key to beating this map is timing your rush to kill the archviles at the start of the second fight. If they get loose you're toast, because there's no way you can avoid their attacks and those of the crowd of Barons that also come closing in.

MAP12 - Crossroads of Destruction
This is the Metal Head formula, perfected. A great looking map with a layout and flow that could slot seamlessly into any modern megawad, but every fight is turned up to eleven.

Every fight was enjoyable in its own way and the action flowed from one fight to the next to give a sense of continuous action without ever feeling overwhelming. Definitely one of my favourite maps of the wad so far.

MAP13 - Crippling Legion
The three smaller fights in this map, even the ending fight with the cyberdemons, are hard but about manageable once you work out the strategy and don't panic when you start taking damage,, but if there's a technique to the big arena fight then I am way, way too dumb to understand it. The closest I got to a strategy was learning to go straight for the megasphere the mancubi are guarding, but after that it was just pure RNG.

I finished the map, with saves, but it wasn't what I would call enjoyable. If you're playing this wad with no saves and you have the patience or skill to finish this map without tossing your PC out of a window then you have my respect, because the idea of fighting twelve cyberdemons where if I die I have to do this whole map over again honestly makes me a little nauseous.

MAP14 - Technocratic Terror
First off, this map looks incredible and the different areas of the map flow together really nicely. It also has a bunch of fun little fights that force you to think about your next move, like the early outdoor area where imps, revenants and chaingunners compete for your attention while you're still scrounging for weapons and ammo, or where you're forced to choose either an archvile or a troop of hitscanners to target first, risking heavy damage from whoever you leave alive.

Some parts, though, just don't feel all the way done. It can be hard to figure out what you're supposed to be doing at times, and the big centrepiece battle is just way too generous with health and ammo. I walked face first into a cyberdemon rocket right after I finished and just doubled back and grabbed another megasphere because I had one going spare.

I hope the project being in beta means changes are still getting made, not because I didn't enjoy the map, but because it's just few balance tweaks away from being absolutely superb.

NO FUCK YOU DAD fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 10, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've died a shameful amount of times in map 7 and 8 in the Micro Slaughter wad and I'm missing how the previous maps were, these just seem like exercises in trial and error for me and they just don't click with me anymore :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Good soup! posted:

I've died a shameful amount of times in map 7 and 8 in the Micro Slaughter wad and I'm missing how the previous maps were, these just seem like exercises in trial and error for me and they just don't click with me anymore :(

Don't feel too bad, I bet you I'll die way more

I'm at like 20 deaths so far on map 3 and about ready to say "maybe doing slaughter maps legit isn't my thing"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Good soup! posted:

This is why I also don't like super extra hard maps, having to go to alcove x at 3:24 and shoot at door y at 4:12 or otherwise you are dead isn't that far away of old school adventure games where you have to solve a obscure puzzle and there is only a solution for it. Too rigid.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Don't be afraid to save between fights and experiment, try not to get stuck in a pattern of repeating the same strategy with the same series of movements over and over again even if you're sure it's the only viable method. If you still can't manage, it's okay to skip maps. MSCP is a really good intro to slaughter maps since they're so short but it also helps to have a real casual, non-comital attitude toward slaughter maps since actually executing on a solution can get really tedious and frustrating. It's good to keep coming back to slaughter wads every now and then to see how much you've improved but it's rarely worth banging your head against them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

treat posted:

Don't be afraid to save between fights and experiment,

And don't be afraid of lowering the difficulty!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Turin Turambar posted:

Join our ITYTD ranks! We have cakes!

EDIT - Just tried to play map 8 (october skeleton appreciation) and it's just too much for me right now. Died after acquiring the BFG and I'm just too agitated to continue at the moment. I couldn't figure out how to move around enough to get the revenant missiles to smash into pillars or something instead of me.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 12, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

treat posted:

Don't be afraid to save between fights and experiment,

Yeah, I have no shame with quicksaving in between engagements

Turin Turambar posted:

NEVER

e: UV or bust, legitimately lol

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

knuthgrush posted:

Join our ITYTD ranks! We have cakes!

EDIT - Just tried to play map 8 (october skeleton appreciation) and it's just too much for me right now. Died after acquiring the BFG and I'm just too agitated to continue at the moment. I couldn't figure out how to move around enough to get the revenant missiles to smash into pillars or something instead of me.

Two things were key to me solving that fight. One is pretty obvious, the other less so:

- Run in an "L" shape next to the outer walls. The skellies above you can't get a shot away and the ones in the arena with you will shoot into the wall. Moving into the center is death.

- You have to pretend your "L" has serifs on it and tuck in towards the centre for half a second at each end. This is to draw the crowd away from the walls. If you don't do this, eventually your path will get blocked and you'll get wrecked.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Good soup! posted:

I tend to play a lot of "challenging WADs" on HMP. The only one I had to drop to HNTR on was Going Down :negative:

Also, just in case people aren't in the know: the enemy and other object loadouts for ITYTD and HNTR are equivalent. The only difference is that the former doubles your ammo pickups and halves the damage you take. If you finish your maps with lots of ammo and health pickups to spare while playing on ITYTD you can safely jump up a notch in difficulty.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't understand the fixation of playing everything at UV, given that the difficulty of what UV represents can change wildly depending on the wad.
Some wad's uv are like others wads's HMP, a few like HNTR from other wads, even.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't understand the fixation of playing everything at UV, given that the difficulty of what UV represents can change wildly depending on the wad.
Some wad's uv are like others wads's HMP, a few like HNTR from other wads, even.

Yeah exactly. It all really boils down to the personal tastes and skills of the map maker, which varies wildly. Sometimes even from the same author over time!

Plutonia on UV is a fair challenge to me while the other retail WADs are easy to the point of near boredom. Going Down is orders of magnitude more difficult than either of those. The entire point of different difficulties is to pick the ones that match your skill level.

That's not to say you shouldn't try to get better of course, but there's no shame in dropping down a tier while "training." If encounters reliably kill you on HMP then there's really no point in going higher.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just want to git gud :shobon:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Good soup! posted:

If you haven't finished a wad on UV pistol start, you haven't finished it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I mean, I'm not the arbiter of Doom playing or anything. There are some exceptions when playing continuous is okay

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXHg-Wu36A

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
My personal rule is that if a wad has a narrative then I play continuous. If a wad only becomes a challenge if I pretend Doomguy throws his whole arsenal in the trash every time he hears the intermission music, that's a failure by the author.

Stuff that's clearly a set of one off encounters or which explicitly requests pistol starts, like MSCP, gets pistol starts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If a wad only becomes a challenge if I pretend Doomguy throws his whole arsenal in the trash every time he hears the intermission music, that's a failure by the author.

:psyduck:

I mean, I don't care if you pistol start or not, but making levels in such a way that can accommodate pistol starting has been a map design convention since day one. Even shareware episode Knee Deep in the Dead was made this way. I'm not into map making but my understanding is that it's very bad etiquette to not put appropriate weapon pickups in maps for pistol starters, unless (as you said) there's a narrative or gameplay gimmick reason for it.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

:psyduck:

I mean, I don't care if you pistol start or not, but making levels in such a way that can accommodate pistol starting has been a map design convention since day one. Even shareware episode Knee Deep in the Dead was made this way. I'm not into map making but my understanding is that it's very bad etiquette to not put appropriate weapon pickups in maps for pistol starters, unless (as you said) there's a narrative or gameplay gimmick reason for it.

I think you've got my point backwards. All maps should be possible from pistol start, but they also shouldn't be trivial from continuous play. If you give me a BFG in map 1 you should assume I'm still going to have it in map 2.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only pistol start occasionally

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think you've got my point backwards. All maps should be possible from pistol start, but they also shouldn't be trivial from continuous play. If you give me a BFG in map 1 you should assume I'm still going to have it in map 2.

Whoops, I think I misread yeah. I agree with you

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Pistol start is for chumps. My next map is going to be fist start.

Also.. I just finished scripting the floor elevation changes. Now I can start doing gameplay and beauty passes. The final fight is already mostly done, and it is SO stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

Pistol start is for chumps. My next map is going to be fist start.

Also.. I just finished scripting the floor elevation changes. Now I can start doing gameplay and beauty passes. The final fight is already mostly done, and it is SO stupid.

I seriously can't wait lol