Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tsob posted:

Maybe she can be the new Shadowcat so, if mutants are a comin'. She has the hacking down, at least.

ShadowKat is a little on point tho

Spacebump posted:

I think Hayward is a bad guy, possibly a Skrull from a less friendly faction than the ones we know.

Imagine if the big guest appearance was him being the super skrull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Azhais posted:

ShadowKat is a little on point tho

Imagine if the big guest appearance was him being the super skrull

You might be one to something. What if that is the big appearance and Pietro is the Super Skrull. That could also explain him briefly looking like dead Pietro. Maybe a bad faction of Skrulls is trying to learn earth magic. Wanda not being able to control Pietro like the others might be because he isn't human? Or did she freeze him with everyone else? I forget if he was knocked out or frozen.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Spacebump posted:

You might be one to something. What if that is the big appearance and Pietro is the Super Skrull. That could also explain him briefly looking like dead Pietro. Maybe a bad faction of Skrulls is trying to learn earth magic. Wanda not being able to control Pietro like the others might be because he isn't human? Or did she freeze him with everyone else? I forget if he was knocked out or frozen.

This might also be a way to introduce Hulkling into the MCU. That's a pretty good way to tie that in and his eventual relationship with Billy. Have him be related to a Skrull faction that's beginning to cause trouble.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

He made a lovely comment about Vision already being dead, so he can't die twice, and Wanda hex-bolted him into a hay bale.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Infinitum posted:

When the hell does this become an Avengers level response event? :psyduck:
Guessing that's the super secret cameo in some form or another. Though the Avengers are pretty scattered right now so it can't be very many of them.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So we seem to just not get a 90's episode? MitM started in 2000.
Every episode has been a pastiche, not a 1:1 copy of a single sitcom. MitM is most associated with being popular with 90s kids despite coming out literally the 2nd week of the 2000s (which means it was filmed in the 90s and likely was supposed to debut in the fall season of '99), so it can be given a little slack unless people are absolutely insisting on being pedantic. The episode's stylistic choices were absolutely in tune with the 90s.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

sticklefifer posted:

The episode's stylistic choices were absolutely in tune with the 90s.

For those who didn't have Nickelodeon in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKh6siqIPc

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 12, 2021

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006
I just realized the reference to Shangri-la probably means Wanda went to Kamar-Taj....which to me still suggests she's doing this alone but without full control. Maybe she got into the library?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Guessing that's the super secret cameo in some form or another. Though the Avengers are pretty scattered right now so it can't be very many of them.

Every episode has been a pastiche, not a 1:1 copy of a single sitcom. MitM is most associated with being popular with 90s kids despite coming out literally the 2nd week of the 2000s (which means it was filmed in the 90s and likely was supposed to debut in the fall season of '99), so it can be given a little slack unless people are absolutely insisting on being pedantic. The episode's stylistic choices were absolutely in tune with the 90s.

I'd suggest Hulk, but no way Ruffalo could keep the secret.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Teek posted:

For those who didn't have Nickelodeon in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKh6siqIPc&t=475s

They really didn’t do the same type of surreal Pete and Pete was known for. It was just them doing Malcom and not doing other riffs as much as in other episodes. They skipped the 90s. Every episode has paid careful attention to props and set detail. The movie theater was playing the Incredibles and the kids had a PS2 they played with Pietro. It felt like they didn't really care about the sitcom element after they left the house.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 12, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like everyone else in regarding comics, Marvel want to forget the 90s ever happened.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there really that big of a difference between 80s family sitcoms and 90s family sitcoms?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I mean The Incredibles does date the show in around 2004.

But there really isn't a good 90s family sitcom for them to spoof. Roseanne and The Simspons are all 80s show. Everybody Loves Raymond, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and The Nanny don't really vibe with the show. A lot of shows like Step by Step still hit a lot of the vibes of the 80s shows they were lampooning.

I think Malcom in the Middle ended up a good point of reference because (1) It focuses on a whole family (2) The mom and dad like each other in it (3) The dad while being a bit of a doofus is still a pretty good guy.

Peter Boyle as as Magneto would have been fun though.

Based on the previews, the last sitcom parody is probably going to be Modern Family.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean The Incredibles does date the show in around 2004.

But there really isn't a good 90s family sitcom for them to spoof. Roseanne and The Simspons are all 80s show. Everybody Loves Raymond, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and The Nanny don't really vibe with the show. A lot of shows like Step by Step still hit a lot of the vibes of the 80s shows they were lampooning.

I think Malcom in the Middle ended up a good point of reference because (1) It focuses on a whole family (2) The mom and dad like each other in it (3) The dad while being a bit of a doofus is still a pretty good guy.

Peter Boyle as as Magneto would have been fun though.

Based on the previews, the last sitcom parody is probably going to be Modern Family.

The Simpsons had 1 episode in the 80s. Out of all the decades that could claim it, that's the least likely. Home Improvement would have worked. They could have just done a riff of all the 90s era TGIF family shows. Dinosaurs would have been inspired. Really wish we could have gotten some fake Seinfeld music in the episode.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's really hard to predict where this show is going, but boy am I excited for the ride.

This version of Quicksilver continues to be the best and I want him around forever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sticklefifer posted:

Who's even left right now that could be of use on a magic issue?

Thor is who knows where with the guardians.
Hulk could be of help with the science but "could you swing by and review our tube tv" seems like a stretch.
Spidey or the wakandans are much the same.

I don't know what we'd expect falcon, winter soldier, ant man or hawkeye to do other than try to infiltrate.

Strange is the obvious choice, but depending where in the timeline this takes place even compared to far from home. In that one fury was pretty adamant with his "he's unavailable" so he could already be deep in the multiverse weeds.

Captain Marvel is probably the best option, especially considering the Rambeau connection. And it'd match the she they're off to meet. I'd be pretty pleased to see her show up, tho my honest expectation for this mystery guest is that it's going to be a big mutant tie in of some sort.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

This is how they're introducing mutants in the MCU. After the line about Monica's bloodwork, everyone in that town is going to come out a mutant.

I'm thinking bigger

I also think its going to exand to cover the world. But, since the time period of the Wandavision show has gradually been catching up to the present day, at this point it's 2021(or whatever year it is in Marvel post-snap) in the bubble and outside and so the new reality is virtually indistinguishable from the current one, except with mutants.

I think that wanda is some kind of vessel for infinity stone power that has to go somewhere, and the end of the series is that power being spread out to others.

Just anyone in the town becoming mutants would be limiting since part of writing mutant characters is them having a unique backstory each and if they all have to be from one town in the US that would be tricky moving forward.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 12, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The Simpsons had 1 episode in the 80s. Out of all the decades that could claim it, that's the least likely. Home Improvement would have worked. They could have just done a riff of all the 90s era TGIF family shows. Dinosaurs would have been inspired. Really wish we could have gotten some fake Seinfeld music in the episode.
Eh, the shorts started in '87. It has clear 80s roots. And regardless of how long it spend in a decade, it is more a creature of the 80s then say the 2010's.

The issue with Home Improvement is that it's so focused on Tim Allen who is kind of a dick. And seeing Vision suddenly becoming Tim the Toolman Taylor would be weird. Like I said before, Malcolm in the Middle is a good cut because Hal is a loving and kind character who likes his wife.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Azhais posted:

Who's even left right now that could be of use on a magic issue?

Thor is who knows where with the guardians.
Hulk could be of help with the science but "could you swing by and review our tube tv" seems like a stretch.
Spidey or the wakandans are much the same.

I don't know what we'd expect falcon, winter soldier, ant man or hawkeye to do other than try to infiltrate.

Strange is the obvious choice, but depending where in the timeline this takes place even compared to far from home. In that one fury was pretty adamant with his "he's unavailable" so he could already be deep in the multiverse weeds.

Captain Marvel is probably the best option, especially considering the Rambeau connection. And it'd match the she they're off to meet. I'd be pretty pleased to see her show up, tho my honest expectation for this mystery guest is that it's going to be a big mutant tie in of some sort.

Hawkeye could you know talk her down because they are friends? Powers aren't going to be the solution to this, it's going to be reaching Wanda as a person

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Hawkeye could you know talk her down because they are friends? Powers aren't going to be the solution to this, it's going to be reaching Wanda as a person

Yeah this all very much reminds me of Xander and Dark Willow. Wanda's going to get worse before she gets better but someone's going to get through.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NowonSA posted:

Definitely another good episode, and I liked Pietro's characterization as both the man-child uncle and the guy who just wants to talk to Wanda about what's going on. Plenty of other little things to like too, like the tension between Vision and Wanda. Episode 5 is still the high watermark that the show has to surpass though, and like all shows with a bit of a mystery it's usually that last episode that reveals what's really been going on and resolves things for the various characters that ends up being the best one of the season or series.

A secret SWORD army of Vision bots definitely seems quite plausible now. The reminder of how much everything went to poo poo during the 5 years everyone was gone makes me think they just ignored Vision's will and started trying to make killer robots while keeping it low-key so the Avengers and Tony Stark didn't notice what was up. With how this is playing out Hayward has to have a card to play that'll stupidly escalate things and make things worse, so that seems like a pretty obvious possibility.

like, maybe... guards? Sentinels, even?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh, the shorts started in '87. It has clear 80s roots. And regardless of how long it spend in a decade, it is more a creature of the 80s then say the 2010's.

The issue with Home Improvement is that it's so focused on Tim Allen who is kind of a dick. And seeing Vision suddenly becoming Tim the Toolman Taylor would be weird. Like I said before, Malcolm in the Middle is a good cut because Hal is a loving and kind character who likes his wife.

The one decade where the Simpsons was truly culturally relevant was the 90s. I can agree it has 80s roots, but there is less than 2 hours of Simpsons content from the 80s. Half a season of a 2010s season is more content. The 90s is the probably the one era that should claim it due to cultural relevancy. The best seasons had 0 episodes air outside the 90s. The only other decade that comes anywhere close to relevancy for the Simpsons would be the 00s and a lot of that is due to the movie.

The characters never really became 1:1 copies of the sitcoms the shows were doing in this so far. None of the episodes except this one focused on one show like they did with Malcom. They all referenced several very obviously. They could have used the general setup of Home Improvement to do a funny neighbor gag and had a funny cameo be Wilson. I just wish it had done 90s music cues/had a 90s vibe. It's weird to me that they skipped a decade. Ultimately it doesn't matter, they did the episode the way they wanted to and it didn't really have much sitcom material in it compared to most of the other episodes. I wonder if this means the next episode will have even less.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How in the hell would they have done the Simpsons without it being the most embarrassing to watch thing imaginable? (Their take on MitM was already pretty bad).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I think the better way to think about this that even something like Home Improvement while in the 90s is still heavily influenced by the family comedies of the 1980s. Malcom in the Middle is the only fairly unique thing in that genre from the mid - 90s to early 2000s. It's why Modern Family is the 2010s because it revived and modernized the family comedy genre.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

90's sitcoms aren't that different from 80's sitcoms. It's still laugh tracks and sets that are missing a fourth wall. MITIM is the next step up the sitcom evolutionary ladder even if its not strictly 90's. Unless the plot involved Wanda ditching westview family life and moving to Manhatten.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 12, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wish Life in Pieces was well regarded - loved that show. :(

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Wish Life in Pieces was well regarded - loved that show. :(

That's the Donal Louge and Megan Pryce show right?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Eh, I'm glad they skipped the traditional 90s sitcom era, as it would have just been more of the same. The style of comedy in the traditional, 3 camera laugh track sitcom really didn't really evolve all -that- much from the 50s the through 90s, it just changed its subject matter and fashion with the times.

Going for more of a late 90s early 2000s vibe, with a single camera sitcom ala Malcom in the Middle or Scrubs was a much more interesting way to freshen things up, and keep the 'sitcom' part of the show from dragging down the greater central mystery part.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doesn't look like it - someone named Justin Adler produced it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_Pieces

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's the Donal Louge

Terriers episode when

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Isometric Bacon posted:

Eh, I'm glad they skipped the traditional 90s sitcom era, as it would have just been more of the same. The style of comedy in the traditional, 3 camera laugh track sitcom really didn't really evolve all -that- much from the 50s the through 90s, it just changed its subject matter and fashion with the times.

Roseanne and Married With Children would be the closest to the 'suburban family' sitcom thing they're aiming for, and that is a very different tone to Family Ties or Full House, but it's also much less focused on young kids. Otherwise the 90s tends to be much more 'single friends living it up in the city', a la Friends, Seinfeld or Frasier. I mean, there's also Fresh Prince or the Cosby Show, but well, aside from the cultural appropriation aspect, the former has the whole 'have vs have not' fish out of water element which doesn't fit the setting, and well... the latter has OTHER issues.

I did see one person suggest The Nanny, and that also has the 'rich family' element, but it might've been worth it to see Evan Peters or Kathryn Hahn do their best Fran Drescher.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm surprised people thought that the MiTM stuff didn't work for them. It was extremely on point for me. Like the other episodes were cute, but had to be pretty broad. This one had to work more stylistically and I thought the camera work, the music, and some of the jokes were perfect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The theme songs seem to be way pushier about the broader situation too, which must be fun for the songwriters, on top of the TMBG homage.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so my theory at this point is that Agnes is indeed a witch or some other supernatural being, and that Wanda semi-accidentally created the Hex as a result of trying to interfere with Agnes/Agatha/whoever she really is' plans. This resulted in Wanda stealing Agnes' powers and Agnes being trapped in Westview, both of which are things she wanted, but it had the unintended side effect of trapping the ordinary citizens of Westview, as well as Wanda herself, in the sitcom world, and also erased Wanda's memories of how and why all this came about. exactly how the kids, Pietro, and Vision's corpse fit into that, I don't know, but there have been too many hints that this isn't solely Wanda's doing and that Agnes knows more than she's letting on for the story not to follow through on that; at the same time, there just isn't enough running time left to introduce Mephisto or the Grim Reaper or whoever in the final three episodes. so if there's a proper antagonist, it pretty much has to be Agnes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm surprised people thought that the MiTM stuff didn't work for them. It was extremely on point for me. Like the other episodes were cute, but had to be pretty broad. This one had to work more stylistically and I thought the camera work, the music, and some of the jokes were perfect.

I dug it. They committed to the idea (which should be no surprise considering the whole gimmick is commitment) and it made me laugh.

People gonna hate Modern Family next week.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Am I the only one pessimistic enough to think this whole Pietro thing isn't going to lead to anything? I'm betting it will turn out to be just what it appears on the surface. The same character from Avengers coupled with a cute joke about sitcoms recasting actors. People here have a lot of cool theories, but I'm guessing whatever Marvel actually does isn't going to be nearly as good. Ditto with Monica's engineer friend. I just get the feeling that Wandavision wasn't intended to be this big a deal. Covid 19 turned the whole world on it's head, and due to being the only one ready to release, Wandavision got thrust into the spotlight. I hope I'm wrong and something cool like mutants or the fantastic four comes from this, but I just don't see it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm guessing next week is going to be the last real sitcom episode. I figure we'll see Wanda hit her limits and we'll get a big reveal about the unseen threat in all of this. Then episode 8 will be a prequel episode explaining how Wanda got to Westview while episode 9 will be the epic conclusion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stark died in 2023 30 minutes after Hulk brought everyone back; this show probably takes place in 2024.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Am I the only one pessimistic enough to think this whole Pietro thing isn't going to lead to anything? I'm betting it will turn out to be just what it appears on the surface. The same character from Avengers coupled with a cute joke about sitcoms recasting actors. People here have a lot of cool theories, but I'm guessing whatever Marvel actually does isn't going to be nearly as good. Ditto with Monica's engineer friend. I just get the feeling that Wandavision wasn't intended to be this big a deal. Covid 19 turned the whole world on it's head, and due to being the only one ready to release, Wandavision got thrust into the spotlight. I hope I'm wrong and something cool like mutants or the fantastic four comes from this, but I just don't see it.

My theory is that Wanda's desire to have his brother back caused her magic to force some random guy in Westview to be "cast" as Pietro, but because of how potent her magic is the guy will retain the speedster powers after all is said and done, and becomes the new Quicksilver.

Evan Peters plays Quicksilver in the MCU, but not Pietro Maximoff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, I think the mutants thing is being optimistic, yes, given Feige hasn't announced anything X-Men related yet. Monica's friend being some kind of cameo seems more likely after this week, but I doubt it'll be the FF, because as I said before, there's no way to cast those characters without the casting notices leaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gavok posted:

I'm guessing next week is going to be the last real sitcom episode. I figure we'll see Wanda hit her limits and we'll get a big reveal about the unseen threat in all of this. Then episode 8 will be a prequel episode explaining how Wanda got to Westview while episode 9 will be the epic conclusion.

Yeah, my best guess would be that next episode will be the last sitcom as Vision continues to confront Wanda to wake up (as well as Monica's friend being revealed and probably a cliffhanger with who the bad guy is). Then my guess is the penultimate episode is a flashback where we find out how this really happened and maybe expand on the two "new" characters (Monica's scientist, Big Bad). Then a big finale episode that's more straight MCU.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2021