Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

this makes me sad. this is like never taking your bike out of first gear. get some colored ink

Because making lines with a fountainpen on paper gives me joy, I started drawing with them. Just basic shapes and forms. So nice, hmmm, colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Doctor Dogballs posted:

this makes me sad. this is like never taking your bike out of first gear. get some colored ink

its fine guys i got this one

Bank posted:

Ink is such an important thing to research for people like me who seldom use it. I've had my pens for about 3-4 months now and still on my first fill on them, a couple still using the stock cartridge. I bought Noodler's Black which works great, and I barely put a dent in it because it's filled to the brim. At this rate it'll last me another 5 years.

watch ur mailbox bro

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

meat glitter posted:

its fine guys i got this one

watch ur mailbox bro

:suspense:

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Bank posted:

Ink is such an important thing to research for people like me who seldom use it. I've had my pens for about 3-4 months now and still on my first fill on them, a couple still using the stock cartridge. I bought Noodler's Black which works great, and I barely put a dent in it because it's filled to the brim. At this rate it'll last me another 5 years.

A lot of it depends on how you use it and what for, so don't feel too worried. Most inks will last ages as long as they are air tight. I keep mine in a cool box so any UV issues don't pop up (and it keeps it organized!)

I have a big ol bottle of noodler's heart of darkness I've only used like a quarter of over several years just because I prefer colored inks with sheen or shading properties for personal writing or note taking. Black is mostly for official stuff or sometimes if I'm traveling outdoor and worry any wet stuff, or testing. I prefer a maroon ink that people get upset about if it's not for grading by hand or marking something off, so HoD or Bay State Blue is mostly for that.

I didn't see it mentioned, but you can (could? Maybe they stopped) order small sample vials from goulet pens and have a bag of rainbows to match to your mood. It's a great way to try stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I use Parker Quink, it's very high-quality.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are you trolling? Cause it is working.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Parker washable blue is insipid. Blue-black was my daily driver for mass notes at uni, though.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One of the few times I posted in this thread I apologised for using parker Quink and people were cool and told me it was a good ink, so who knows. :confuoot:

Turns out I've got three Pilot Metros inked up at the moment. I'm moving offices/workspace, and I had forgotten at least one of them. They all claim to be Medium, but write differently. I've been using the bottom one today to write some cards, and I think the other two need a flush and to be used. I have the feeling that pens like to be used...

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
↑ Just use them, they'll probably get back to flowing normally if you write a few pages.

Kerbtree posted:

Parker washable blue is insipid. Blue-black was my daily driver for mass notes at uni, though.

Are those notes still legible? Because as pleasant a color as it is, it has a real bad habit of fading to nothingness after a few years of light.

Quink's best quality is that you can probably find it in any staples or whatever anywhere in the US. Otherwise it's basically like every other pen maker's ink, in that it's inoffensive and can be relied upon to work in drat near anything just fine.

Worst ink I ever got was Noodler's Dostoevski. It basically worked like that MB ink on the last page, where it was drat near illegible out of a fountain pen. Makes for an acceptable highlighter, but I don't use highlighters, so that's tragic. Of course, I swapped its cap for a broken noodler's one ages ago, so I assume the bottle's mostly dried up by now. I haven't checked in years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teach posted:

One of the few times I posted in this thread I apologised for using parker Quink and people were cool and told me it was a good ink, so who knows. :confuoot:

Well it works 100% of the time all of the time which is kind of what I, personally, look for in an ink.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Teach posted:

They all claim to be Medium, but write differently. I've been using the bottom one today to write some cards, and I think the other two need a flush and to be used. I have the feeling that pens like to be used...

Could be in need of a cleaning, but could also be a property of the ink. Same pen, different ink, potentially different line. Wetter or drier inks really are a thing.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I started using my Pilot Metro a bit more this week to sign some paperwork and I bought a Medium because my friends told me they are closer to a Fine in other brands, but it still seems a bit thick for my taste. Should I be buying Fine/Extra Fine instead? I feel a bit unsettled as I didn't plan on buying another Metro, but might have to try it in a Fine or Extra Fine flavor. I am really digging the silver, so not sure if I'd even consider a different color.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Bank posted:

I started using my Pilot Metro a bit more this week to sign some paperwork and I bought a Medium because my friends told me they are closer to a Fine in other brands, but it still seems a bit thick for my taste. Should I be buying Fine/Extra Fine instead? I feel a bit unsettled as I didn't plan on buying another Metro, but might have to try it in a Fine or Extra Fine flavor. I am really digging the silver, so not sure if I'd even consider a different color.

Just get a Fine and see how you like it, not like you'll go broke on $20 would you?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

what up page 420

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Keetron posted:

Just get a Fine and see how you like it, not like you'll go broke on $20 would you?

Yeah, I just hate clutter. I'm into watches too and already accumulate too much from that hobby.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Oh do metropolitans come in different nibs? When I bought one when they came out it was just like a medium in the stores and I had assumed that was the case.

drat thing did not like wet inks and I kinda stopped using it, but a fine would be nice.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Synnr posted:

Oh do metropolitans come in different nibs?

Metros come in medium, fine, and 1.0mm stub.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Volkova III posted:

Metros come in medium, fine, and 1.0mm stub.

Ah yes, no extra fine. But here are some options:
https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pens/ct/1706

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Oh, I forgot, you can do a nib swap from a Pilot Penmanship if you want an EF metro.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Volkova III posted:

Oh, I forgot, you can do a nib swap from a Pilot Penmanship if you want an EF metro.

With my luck I'll end up with two broken pens/nibs.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Volkova III posted:

The Kakuno also has a compatible EF nib and the body is less weird so you might not even need to swap it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Please do not forget to mention that the Kakuno has the cutest nib on this planet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Aww gently caress

I bought another Delta while whacked on ketamine (long story) last night

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I gotta give some praise for Noodler's Tokyo Gift. I'm not generally a pink ink guy but this is spot on, well behaved, gloriously shading Sakura blossom ink coming out of a 1.1mm stub.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

Aww gently caress

Looking at your collection, I am more surprised this is not a common event.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

grack posted:

Aww gently caress

Of all the things to do on ketamine this is probably one of the least worrying.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Keetron posted:

Looking at your collection, I am more surprised this is not a common event.

yea how is this any different then you not being whacked on ketamine?? "oh hey guys my name is grack i went ham on k and then did exactly the same thing i always do anyway delta delta delta" (that's you)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

grack posted:

Aww gently caress

Recreational or medicinal, the ketamine, not the Delta?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

Recreational or medicinal, the ketamine, not the Delta?

Medicinal.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If the ketamine was medicinal and you ordered the delta while on the ketamine then the Delta is also medicinal.

I'm pretty sure that's how this works. Enjoy your new Delta for the sake of health. Doctor's orders, probably.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sankis posted:

If the ketamine was medicinal and you ordered the delta while on the ketamine then the Delta is also medicinal.

I'm pretty sure that's how this works. Enjoy your new Delta for the sake of health. Doctor's orders, probably.

Hmmm

Do you think I could claim my Delta collection for a tax credit?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

grack posted:

Hmmm

Do you think I could claim my Delta collection for a tax credit?

As your accountant, yes.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone know any good tips/videos on how to improve calligraphy? I watched one last night and gave it a shot but still need (a lot of) practice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I ordered a crab pen holder today and a new Edison

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bank posted:

Anyone know any good tips/videos on how to improve calligraphy?
I can offer tips:

1: Don't rush
2: Practice

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I ordered a crab pen holder today and a new Edison

Good call. I've only seen a few photos of the crab holder but it's good :kimchi:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Calligraphy really is just practice a lot and don't go a long time without using it cause it isn't like riding a bike. That's a sweet pen btw. I wish more makers would make super-wide stubs like that.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Ha thanks. I don't know if there's like a "proper" way to write any of these letters, but I guess it's an artform. I watched a video where they did an 'i' and an 'n' and just went from there. Some of these letters I have no clue how to write, but I'll keep checking some styles to see if anything sticks.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
If you want something more "referential", you could also check out the Speedball book. It includes lettering examples with stroke directions, which is helpful as a reference to create specific letters in specific fonts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

And as with all art forms, if you look up online how other do it, you only see their best and not the hundreds or thousands of hours of practice.