Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

mkvltra posted:

What's the trick or hint for finding Surtling Cores? My group and I stumbled into the only cave we've found so far, only for there to be a giant troll and a dead end tunnel.

You can find them for loot in forest dungeons as said, but Surtlings themselves will spawn in swamps if you can manage to stumble across one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

NuckmasterJ posted:

Question; I built a new larger base, its flat roofed with support beams to hold up the roof. I made a bunch of half wall windows to you know, make it plesent. Well I just had a rain storm and now my entire structure is at half health. Is it because the windows? Or does wood have to be protected by actual "Roof" materials?

Only things that are underneath roof tiles (directly underneath) will be protected from the weather. Otherwise it will get weathered after rain/storms. It won't break (as far as I'm aware), but it does look shoddy.

I had an issue where the front of my house was constantly getting weathered despite having a roof, turns out the roof was... how to describe it... one "space" back from where it should have been. You know how things sometimes snap half off where it should be? Yeah that happened with my roofs.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

I've pretty much only found them in Burial Mounds. If you run around Black Forest and find some skeletons that are not hanging out in a ruined tower, chances are there is a mound nearby.

Yes, they are in burial mounds, not troll caves. I have more cores than I know what to do with on my solo game but I'm sure they come into play more later.

I didn't know copper mounds were actually copper veins. :(

The lighting in this game is pretty great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apparently you can't deconstruct boats, something to keep in mind.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ausgoons have a server going for over a week now, we're currently renovating the main base and have a couple of outposts from exploring.
https://imgur.com/a/K7kwTdV

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 12, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kaddish posted:

Yes, they are in burial mounds, not troll caves. I have more cores than I know what to do with on my solo game but I'm sure they come into play more later.

Those cores go pretty fast when you start building boatsand portals

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently you can't deconstruct boats, something to keep in mind.

You can smash them though

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I assume there are burial mounds/dungeons etc in biomes other than dark forest right?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
goddamn do I suck rear end at making a house even remotely decent looking. I think I've restarted 20 times because I just suck. maybe I need to watch some youtube building videos for idiots

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to hang trophies on the walls?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Multiple people have recommended making roads so last night I spent about 4 hours making a road from my starting house to my mining outpost and good lord does the leveling tool make me want to pull my hair out.

After a lot of confused groaning I've come to the conclusion that there are areas of rocky ground that look just like the dirt but can only be leveled with the pickaxe. No matter what I did to these spots with the hoe they wouldn't change, but one hit with the pickaxe and that spot can be leveled. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I am just using the tool wrong.

Having said all that, I would still recommend making roads.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The leveling function is more like a smoothing tool. It isn’t gonna make huge terrain adjustments. It’s not gonna flatten a hillside, you’ll have to dig that poo poo down first.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The leveling function is more like a smoothing tool. It isn’t gonna make huge terrain adjustments. It’s not gonna flatten a hillside, you’ll have to dig that poo poo down first.

Well yeah, I'm talking about tiny bumps that would not smooth or move at all until I hit them with the pick first.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Guess someone might have vacuumed up something and not noticed, because I have gotten 100% of my resources back every time I have dismantled something.

Good thing too, because my boat decided to do a 180 while docked and destroyed itself.

Edit: Decided to set sail straight out into the ocean for once. Landed on some sort of plains area, got stung by a mosquito and died.

No theres absolutely something buggy with resourve recovery. Twice Ive disassembled stone cutter tables to move em and gotten 1 iron back instead of the expected 2.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Aertuun posted:

So we noticed that if you're personally hosting a game and it's NOT a dedicated server that causes issues when you have a large number of players in a single area. We had noticeable lag with 7+ people fighting a troll. No lag noticeable with smaller numbers of people.

This happened without the client/server taxing the connection, CPU, or HDD so it suggests it's a limitation somewhere in the code. We've found the same with other games (notable example being Terraria).

We tried the same situation with a dedicated server and no issues. The only time we've had lag are when we cut down about 60 trees in 3 minutes and let them all roll around.

I've had a dedicated server hosted on my machine alongside a playing client. The dedicated server uses about 2% CPU on an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and between 2-3GB of memory. We typically have 5-6 active in an evening.

From what I've heard any servers you pay for from a major company are trash, so don't expect good performance from them.

Do you know if the dedicated server uses a lot of bandwidth? I come fairly close to my Comcast data cap. I have a TrueNAS server that runs Plex (I don't know much about it since a friend helps me with it). A different friend who plays the game showed me this https://hub.docker.com/r/nopor/valheim-server but I guess there's also a regular VM way to do it. Anyone know about this stuff and have advice?

All of this reminds me of the DEDOTATED WAM kid at that Minecraft convention.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any way to hang trophies on the walls?

Yes! You need to reach bronze and there's two item mounts that you can use for this purpose.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yes! You need to reach bronze and there's two item mounts that you can use for this purpose.

Thanks! I was wondering too as it was so easy in The Forest (and in a way rather logical)

Valheim is great for some reason. It really nails a niche between RPG and survivalcraft. Reminds me a lot about Gothic due to its atmosphere/perspective and other details

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So the biggest problem we're having on our server right now is Iron. We just cleared our first swamp ruin and brought back 62 iron bars, and we thought that we'd be sorted for some new equipment, but man the price increase is huge. 20 bars to make a thing is insane. We haven't found any other crypts either. The Bonepile is like half the map away from our current base so we've got some exploring to do but hopefully we'll find a more forgiving region to move our smelters and forges to.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

No theres absolutely something buggy with resourve recovery. Twice Ive disassembled stone cutter tables to move em and gotten 1 iron back instead of the expected 2.

What happens is anything that's disassembled at below full health drops limited materials. A lot of things will degrade to half health if they are rained on (or in the case of structural stuff, if it's not properly supported) which means you'll get limited return on materials if you don't repair the thing before disassembling it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Here lies Brunhilde, crushed by trees she was chopping down probably ten times.

Man I just can't eyeball the fall direction at all!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

What happens is anything that's disassembled at below full health drops limited materials. A lot of things will degrade to half health if they are rained on (or in the case of structural stuff, if it's not properly supported) which means you'll get limited return on materials if you don't repair the thing before disassembling it.

Oh hey that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that. Weird considering that repair is totally free but good to know.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also weird since smashing stuff instead of disassembling it seems to return a full refund

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Probably something that needs to be suggested to the devs to change. If repairs are free and (violent) destruction returns all materials, then not giving a full refund on damaged stuff feels silly.

That said I’m so glad that repairs to gear and structures are free in this game, one of the nicest QoL things.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Do you know if the dedicated server uses a lot of bandwidth?

I haven't been monitoring too closely. Best I can remember it was using 2.8Mbps when I checked. The server wasn't super busy at that point, and so can't say whether that was peak usage, but it was a fraction of my connection so I wasn't concerned.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spanish Matlock posted:

So the biggest problem we're having on our server right now is Iron. We just cleared our first swamp ruin and brought back 62 iron bars, and we thought that we'd be sorted for some new equipment, but man the price increase is huge. 20 bars to make a thing is insane. We haven't found any other crypts either. The Bonepile is like half the map away from our current base so we've got some exploring to do but hopefully we'll find a more forgiving region to move our smelters and forges to.

Guh, I'm just about finished with copper and upgraded all of my gear as much as I can so I was wondering when Iron stuff would start showing up and this scares me. I really wish you could bring metal through portals, make bars teleport-able but ores not or something so at least we need to smelt before bringing it through.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

explosivo posted:

Guh, I'm just about finished with copper and upgraded all of my gear as much as I can so I was wondering when Iron stuff would start showing up and this scares me. I really wish you could bring metal through portals, make bars teleport-able but ores not or something so at least we need to smelt before bringing it through.

Notably you can bring surtling cores through, so I mean worst case scenario if you have your bars at a portal just knock down your smelter and take it over there? I think that the prohibition is mainly to prevent people from portal abusing by just knocking up a portal at the copper vein/sunken crypt/etc.

Edit: I get the desire to portal metal but boats, roads, and carts are all pretty cool and if I could portal metal I'd never make any of those things, or I'd make them for no reason. I feel the same about the comfort stat of your house. In Conan we put rugs and tables and mugs and strippers everywhere but most of that had no purpose at all, so as we went through the game our bases got more and more utilitarian and less fantastical. I kind of feel like this game does really well to incentivize spending the time to build something crazy.

Like right now our big issue is that there's a rocky strait between us and the boss and we can't get our longship through so we're just gonna go down there and knock out all those rocks and widen the canal.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I lose my Swamp Key do I have to kill the Elder again?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I love Valheim but the metal cost of items seriously needs to be toned down, especially once you reach iron and it's 20 for most items and 10 to upgrade.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Broken Cog posted:

If I lose my Swamp Key do I have to kill the Elder again?
Yes

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oh man, I guess I spoiled myself with regards to where to get iron from watching a video. Is that really the only place you can get iron ore? What the heck.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, at first I thought it sounded excessive that you needed 20 bars of iron for each item, but after one trip to a sunken crypt it doesn't seem so bad. You get ridiculous amounts of it in there, I found a stack of 15 in a single room, and have around 50 after 2 trips. I can see it being a pain bringing it back to your main base for smelting, though, so I can understand setting up a smelting outpost.

Oof

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That 3rd boss can go gently caress himself and his neverending adds of blobs. We had probably the entirely wrong type of weapons for the fight but my Stagbreaker did some good damage ... when I was able to get close enough to hit him! Died a few times during the fight, once had to go and repair my hammer. It didn't help he spawned in a spot that was basically water everywhere which made the fight a complete nightmare. Eventually got him down when we figured out a strategy where each 3 hit him from, a different direction and kept bouncing the aggro while others hit his back.

Not a fun fight.

Iron is indeed somewhat of a grind, but we built a portal at the edge of the swamp on the shore and parked the boat there, since you can fit quite a lot in the longboat's storage. Fill it up and sail back once you got enough.

I absolutely love the seafaring in the game, the water and boating looks and feels so good.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 13, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Too early to tell. My dumbfuck friends are acting like it having a roadmap and the fact it sold a ton of copies means its going to have incredible support lol

Imo you need more item slots ingame. Weight is already there, having to constantly drop small poo poo to pick stuff up is annoying.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

are you an investor or what

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Who knows? But it's 17 €, got surprising amount of content for an EA game (and more to come) and fun to play, so what's there to lose?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dandywalken posted:

Too early to tell. My dumbfuck friends are acting like it having a roadmap and the fact it sold a ton of copies means its going to have incredible support lol

Imo you need more item slots ingame. Weight is already there, having to constantly drop small poo poo to pick stuff up is annoying.

A friend of mine who's much further in than me said that there's a merchant you can find at some point that sell you inventory upgrades. Haven't seen anything of him myself though, so for all I know he might have been joking.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wheeee posted:

The building aspect is fun and interesting, it's fairly chill and you can get more than 10 hours out of it so it's well worth the price.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

A friend of mine who's much further in than me said that there's a merchant you can find at some point that sell you inventory upgrades. Haven't seen anything of him myself though, so for all I know he might have been joking.

I got the upgrade for more weight capacity, but nothing for inventory slots. I will keep an eye out for a different trader tho.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

My brother and I have played for 20 hours and have just killed the 2nd out of five bosses. We also aren't big into making beautiful homes, so that's mostly just time spent progressing and figuring out how to move forward. The game is only 20 bucks and absolutely worth that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wheeee posted:

If you do nothing but play through the current content with friends it's $20 very well spent.