Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah, last night while browsing Zandronum servers I saw a game called Doom: Rampage Edition. The idea was really cool, you play as a Baron for the forces of hell, and your job is to tear through UAC facilities and kill everything you see. The game starts you out in Phobos Anomaly, in the same room as the Bruiser Brothers, and you fight your way out of there to rip and tear marines. All the weapons are redone, and were kinda novel and fun at first, but unfortunately the execution left a lot to be desired. Almost no ammo pickups means that higher-level marines utterly destroy you, one weapon (chaingun) has infinite ammo but the only change they made was to the gun sprite + making it fire a little bit faster so it still sucks when you're fighting "pain elementals" (explosives marines who lay mines everywhere) and other higher level mobs. Also the map design is kinda not-great, a bit too big and stretching too long and a bit too much backtracking once you have a key and having to go "wait where did I see that door? Ah gently caress, all the way back there?"

Also the music choice leaves a lot to be desired. It was kind of funny when Offspring's Come Out And Play started playing on the third level, but by the end of the map when I'd heard it about 200 times I was extremely sick of it. I forget what the next map's song was but it was similarly "heh cute" at first but wore out its welcome real fast.

A+ idea, C- execution. It's a cool enough idea though that it's got me thinking of how I'd execute on it. Might pick up some WAD tools this year if I get a good enough idea and try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

My personal rule is that if a wad has a narrative then I play continuous. If a wad only becomes a challenge if I pretend Doomguy throws his whole arsenal in the trash every time he hears the intermission music, that's a failure by the author.

Stuff that's clearly a set of one off encounters or which explicitly requests pistol starts, like MSCP, gets pistol starts.

So you're saying you play Doom... for the story?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh I almost forgot to mention another total conversion WAD I discovered and played through--Castlevania: Simon's Destiny! It's loving sick. A very faithful adaptation, and therefore challenging, because you can only heal if you can find Dracula's hidden wall meats. Absolutely superb from beginning to end. I kept bracing for ambushes when picking up keys, but it never happened (that's Doom's trick, not Castlevania's)

My only criticism is that it's too short and it left me wanting more, which is a good problem to have. I could have easily played a version of it that was twice as long.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O485TqiyfqU&t=120s

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been seeing that mod pop up a lot lately despite it being pretty drat old. I haven't played it since the original release but it seemed promising. Is playing without vertical mouse possible or is mouselook mostly required? This is for Castlevania reasons, not Doom reasons.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I didn't try playing without mouselook--there are bats that fly down to attack you that you might be able to attack without mouselook, like by jumping. And mouselook did trivialize a couple of encounters by allowing me to jump and whip enemies on the floor above me. So I think it'd be doable, but (even more) challenging.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh I almost forgot to mention another total conversion WAD I discovered and played through--Castlevania: Simon's Destiny! It's loving sick. A very faithful adaptation, and therefore challenging, because you can only heal if you can find Dracula's hidden wall meats. Absolutely superb from beginning to end. I kept bracing for ambushes when picking up keys, but it never happened (that's Doom's trick, not Castlevania's)

My only criticism is that it's too short and it left me wanting more, which is a good problem to have. I could have easily played a version of it that was twice as long.

I loved this back when it came out, very polished and surprisingly good blending of gameplay styles.
Worth noting that it's a standalone iwad intended for GZDoom, relies on dynamic lights, 3D models, and mouselook being turned on, and that the hardest difficulty is intended as New Game+ because if I recall correctly it adds new enemies you don't even see in the normal playthrough. The skybox even changes to reflect the difficulty which is a nice touch.

The author's download page with readme: https://batandy.itch.io/simonsdestiny

Sloane fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 13, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sloane posted:

I loved this back when it came out, very polished and surprisingly good blending of gameplay styles.
Worth noting that it's a standalone iwad intended for GZDoom, relies on dynamic lights, 3D models, and mouselook being turned on, and that the hardest difficulty is intended as New Game+ because if I recall correctly it adds new enemies you don't even see in the normal playthrough. The skybox even changes to reflect the difficulty which is a nice touch.

The author's download page with readme: https://batandy.itch.io/simonsdestiny

:aaa:

well poo poo, time to play through it again!

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

:aaa:

well poo poo, time to play through it again!

Hope I'm remembering correctly and you have a fun second go!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
32 deaths to get through the first part of map 3. now I'm on the imp/hellknight/CD puzzle. Right now I'm trying to make room by quietly tapping on a couple imp shoulders and getting them to infight a couple hell knights, then keep dancing around letting them fight each other, then get some hell knights to engage the cyberdemon, then clear out the imps with the plasma rifle to make some space. Hasn't worked so far lol, 5 deahts now and it always fails the second I start shooting and trying to clear space in the imp room

e: ohhh I was waking up the wrong demon
e2: and that's part 2 down in only 12 deaths

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 13, 2021

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
i think you found an instance of easier difficulty being “harder”. on uv they’re all hell knights so you would’ve gone straight for the right answer.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Squeezy Farm posted:

i think you found an instance of easier difficulty being “harder”. on uv they’re all hell knights so you would’ve gone straight for the right answer.

Pretty sure he's playing on UV, I'm not sure what you read but that fight with HKs instead of imps would be stupidly evil hard.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I thought I was on UV too but I just typed "skill" in the console and got "3" back, so apparently I'd been playing on HMP

e: wait no that is UV lol. Just doublechecked on a new save at UV and checked map03, and it's the same imp/HK/CD mix

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 13, 2021

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
oh i misread was thinking of the one that starts with hell knights and cyber demons

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i played infinity and it sucked, do not play it

(even if you are like me and playing the best of 1995, it is not good even for 1995)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay so you know how I said original Doom on UV is easy to the point of boring up there? Well I decided that my latest project is this poo poo because I'm a self-loathing idiot.

WAD Name: The Ultimate Doom
Difficulty: Ultra-Violence
Conditions: :siren: fast monsters :siren:, no saving, pistol-start, 100% kills and secrets, Crispy Doom with vanilla settings

EPISODE 1: KNEE DEEP IN THE FAST

E1M1: Hangar
Intro map. Not much to be said. You get a pretty good taste of what fast monsters has in store for you: shotgun guys will kill you in seconds. Don't get careless. If you try to dash through the nukage room you will be dead before you realize it.

E1M2: Nuclear Plant
See above, really.

E1M3: Toxin Refinery
Okay here we go. The previous maps were straightforward and predictable and could easily be finished with one attempt. This map introduces your second-worst opposition in a fast monsters run in this episode: the pinky. I can't overstate how dangerous these fuckers are. They'll mob you and chew you to bits before you even have time to react. They're lightning fast and their movements are extremely erratic and one meets you the moment you open the starting door :gonk:. Once you get past the beginning it's much more easy going though.

E1M9: Military Base
A pinky is the second-worst. The absolute worst is that, but invisible. So, why am I playing on Crispy Doom on vanilla settings? Two reasons. The first is that I'm a purist and only ever play the OG four WADs with Chocolate Doom (I switched to Crispy because it has an automatic pistol start parameter, a real-time level stats display, and fixes for a number of fast monsters bugs/issues that Chocolate lacks).

The second reason? Well, there are ten spectre corpses in this screenshot. Can you find them all? :buddy:

DISCLAIMER: screenshot not of E1M9

Most source ports cannot render spectres correctly, thus completely nerfing their original purpose (i.e. a demon that is really hard to see). They're used liberally in Ultimate Doom as a grue that eats you in dark rooms or places with a lot of disruptive texturing and most other source ports don't do a good job of concealing them. The only thing that comes close is the scaled software fuzz in newer versions of GZDoom, but even then they are mere approximations.

Another complication with E1M9 is that the blockmap bug is a huge problem. A lot of my shots completely whiffed when fighting in those stairways.

Anyway I finally beat this map once I realized you can ignore the switch at the end to trap the spectres and kill them before raising the bridge to the exit.

E1M4: Command Control
Few demons to worry about this time. Some are hiding in the maze behind the blue door, but they're easy to manipulate through the long narrow corridors. There's a backpack, supercharge, and mega-armor available very early. If you can get them this map is easy-peasy, fast monsters be damned.

E1M5: Phobos Lab
Another hot start with a demon and shotgun guys. I died a lot in the first few seconds, but after that it becomes pretty easy.

E1M6: Central Processing
Believe it or not, this map has the most enemies out of any map in this entire game! There is a few nasty traps full of spectres in a locked room right at the end that got me on my first attempt. Shameful.

E1M7: Computer Station
Essentially the same as E1M4 except with a spectre start that will get you a few times.

E1M8: Phobos Anomaly
The two barons are not a threat. You need to worry about the pinkies and spectres. Once I realized I could hide in the nook with the invisibility powerup and let the barons kill them (or hit the barrels, thus killing them) it was just a matter of doing that then having the usual dance with the barons to get through.

Easiest map (besides E1M1): E1M4: Command Control
Hardest map: E1M9: Military Base

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 13, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O485TqiyfqU&t=120s

Its by the same dev as Doom: The Golden Souls, really good stuff.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Its by the same dev as Doom: The Golden Souls, really good stuff.

lmao

aaaaaaaaaaaaand i'm in

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golden Souls is outstanding! Have fun!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Golden Souls 1 & 2 are like really cool WADs with a wild mix of DOOM and Mario themes.

Golden Souls 3 is a loving open world platformer game in the doom engine lmao

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lmao

aaaaaaaaaaaaand i'm in

I haven't played the first one, but Golden Souls 2 is one of my favorite WADs ever. It's a full game to be honest, with several dozens maps.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Two things were key to me solving that fight. One is pretty obvious, the other less so:

- Run in an "L" shape next to the outer walls. The skellies above you can't get a shot away and the ones in the arena with you will shoot into the wall. Moving into the center is death.

- You have to pretend your "L" has serifs on it and tuck in towards the centre for half a second at each end. This is to draw the crowd away from the walls. If you don't do this, eventually your path will get blocked and you'll get wrecked.

Primo advice here. I got the first part down where the skellingtons up top couldn't get me but after i cleared the ones on the bottom, I choked I guess. I'll try again real soon.

I think you've got my point backwards. All maps should be possible from pistol start, but they also shouldn't be trivial from continuous play. If you give me a BFG in map 1 you should assume I'm still going to have it in map 2.

Here in the people's recreational league of ITYTD, we appreciate that BFG so we don't have to cheat or soil our britches.

A.o.D. posted:

Pistol start is for chumps. My next map is going to be fist start.

Also.. I just finished scripting the floor elevation changes. Now I can start doing gameplay and beauty passes. The final fight is already mostly done, and it is SO stupid.

Sounds like a solid WAD Club candidate.

Mak0rz posted:

Golden Souls is outstanding! Have fun!

So is Golden Souls the game that the DOOM Eternal team were trying to make but could never pull off? I feel like DOOM Eternal is just Super Doomio World what with all the fireball dodging and jumping from patch of land to patch of land.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I think you've got my point backwards. All maps should be possible from pistol start, but they also shouldn't be trivial from continuous play. If you give me a BFG in map 1 you should assume I'm still going to have it in map 2.
That's why death exits are good, despite all the tedious whining they tend to provoke. That said, if you are playing some sort of big community project (like this micro slaughter thing) there's absolutely no reason to expect continuous balance because mappers have no control over the slot they are in. Not pistol starting maps will wreck the experience.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Golden Souls 1 & 2 are like really cool WADs with a wild mix of DOOM and Mario themes.

Golden Souls 3 is a loving open world platformer game in the doom engine lmao

Hold up there's a Golden Souls 3?

I never completed GS2. It was just too big for me, so I got burnt out on it eventually. A lot of the maps are fantastic though.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Trying to balance for both pistol start and consecutive is how you end up with stingy wads that don't give you an SSG until map06 and later levels that dump every weapon at your feet in the starting room like there's about to be a boss fight. It's really an either/or thing. You can build a really tight pistol start map and allow continuous players to trivialize fights, or you can try to balance for both and end up with dull encounter design and incredibly slow escalation throughout the first several maps. It's a really hard thing to get right and most wads that execute on it well do so by giving you pretty decent firepower from the start and generally being hard as balls. Pistol starting isn't about being a Doom god or making things more difficult for yourself, it's to approach each map on its own terms and not miss out on clever design ideas that you would otherwise unintentionally break by just shooting thing with whatever gun you have equipped. For example, some of my favorite maps are cat & mouse types that put constant pressure on you from the start while you scrounge for weapons and eventually get the upper hand. Coming into a hot start like that with a full loadout usually means the mouse immediately eats the cat, changing the dynamic of the map entirely.

Mak0rz posted:

WAD Name: The Ultimate Doom
Difficulty: Ultra-Violence
Conditions: :siren: fast monsters :siren:, no saving, pistol-start, 100% kills and secrets, Crispy Doom with vanilla settings

I haven't even had time to finish MSCP lately but I'm planning on doing the same with NERVE.wad and the new No Rest for the Living Midi Pack when things calm down a bit. It's got a (really good) song by decino and a couple by 90's FPS cover artist JD Herrera. Everything I've heard from it so far is nice and moody with some heavy riffs and breakdowns, I can see it fitting really well especially with fast monsters. It's been a long time since I played NRftL and don't remember how difficult it gets but I'm expecting it to absolutely destroy me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZmeWixNxg

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder if you're going to be able to pass MAP05 or whatever it is where you have to dodge from cover to cover against a spider mastermind. Like if fast monsters means it shoots twice as much, you're probably totally hosed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arivia posted:

I wonder if you're going to be able to pass MAP05 or whatever it is where you have to dodge from cover to cover against a spider mastermind. Like if fast monsters means it shoots twice as much, you're probably totally hosed.

For hitscanners with continuous fire (i.e. chaingunners and spider masterminds) it just means they start firing at you sooner after they spot you. This usually means they start shooting the moment you're in sight, but now and then there'll be a delay.

Same goes for arachnotrons but they get the added bonus of faster projectile speed.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 13, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Arivia posted:

Oh man, that's the secret map. It's all starting to come back to me now. What have I gotten myself into?

Speaking of spiders, there's a map from a wad somewhere that features a spider mastermind on a stone pillar in the center of the map who takes potshots at you while you dash through cramped passageways with gaps and fences in the walls along the periphery of the map trying to avoid her fire and other monsters. You pretty much circle the map 1.5 - 2 times, slowly fighting your way in a spiral shape toward the center along stairways raised above a death pit and finally nail her with a BFG. There's an elevator at one point that has fences in the walls I think? I believe it was mostly the blue/grey stone texture set. Anybody know what wad this is from?

treat fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

treat posted:

Oh man, that's the secret map. It's all starting to come back to me now. What have I gotten myself into?

Speaking of spiders, there's a map from a wad somewhere that features a spider mastermind on a stone pillar in the center of the map who takes potshots at you while you dash through cramped passageways with gaps and fences in the walls along the periphery of the map trying to avoid her fire and other monsters. You pretty much circle the map 1.5 - 2 times, slowly fighting your way in a spiral shape toward the center along stairways raised above a death pit and finally nail her with a BFG. There's an elevator at one point that has fences in the walls I think? I believe it was mostly the blue/grey stone texture set. Anybody know what wad this is from?

That's from Keeper of the Seven Keys 3: Disc 1 I think

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

One of the Return to Hadron eps has something similar, though you can take her out v early on.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I need one or two playtesters for my map. The even scripting and gameplay is done, as is the majority of the texturing. I want to make sure that the map works and is playable/fun before going further.

Skills needed: Punching revenants. Slaughter map crowd control. (this is not a slaughter map, though)

Platform needed: GZDoom.

Gameplay modifications: Absolutely none. I only used GZDoom for access to event scripting and enhanced texture and geometry control.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Arivia posted:

That's from Keeper of the Seven Keys 3: Disc 1 I think

It sure is, but I don't remember it using brutal doom and it feels like I played it 10 years ago. Maybe I've got wires crossed with another similar map. Memory is terrifying. Either way, that was a good map, thanks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

I need one or two playtesters for my map. The even scripting and gameplay is done, as is the majority of the texturing. I want to make sure that the map works and is playable/fun before going further.

Skills needed: Punching revenants. Slaughter map crowd control. (this is not a slaughter map, though)

Platform needed: GZDoom.

Gameplay modifications: Absolutely none. I only used GZDoom for access to event scripting and enhanced texture and geometry control.

I'm super down. I stream Doom WADs on Sundays too, so if you're okay with it I could even test it during my Doom time (if not though that's okay)

e: After discussing in PMs, I won't stream it until it's officially released :D

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 14, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A spoiler for what's in store at the end of the map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edzhB79rcGw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I resent that I watched that instead of waiting to experience it for myself :negative:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I resent that I watched that instead of waiting to experience it for myself :negative:

What? That's nothing.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Hey alright! Decino is doing BTSX-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt_pKsZTn9Y

I better finish before he does so I don't catch any spoilers!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I must have had a fever dream where I imagined I played BTSX in any form because I went hunting in my Doom directory for it and redownloaded it and had no record of it anywhere :psyduck:

looks like I know what two wads I'm doing next lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

A spoiler for what's in store at the end of the map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edzhB79rcGw

:allears:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been trying for a couple weeks to get a doom server up so we can have a multiplayer spot to check out wads or hang but no matter what i do i keep getting "GeoIP initialization failed," so I'm considering cloud server hosting if i can find something cheap enough (<$10-15/mo) and easy enough to use. And also if i can successfully get zandronum and a server running on Ubuntu. Anyone have experience with this, or any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's the current WAD of the month again?