Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

philbr posted:

I heartily recommend https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/. It's like a zen farm you check on every now and then.

Less than two months old, but it ticks a surprising number of boxes for me: Unfolding gameplay, interesting decisions, different strategies, not too much activity required, fast and web-based, both active and passive gameplay are rewarding, very active dev, lots of QoL features.

Enjoying this, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
On the other end of relaxing, there's http://semenar.ru/matter-dim-test/index.html, which is similar in structure to antimatter dimensions but different in content. There's a lot of game here, with lots of prestige layers.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Man that's a hefty list of starting penalties. Feels like you're starting the game out doing ten challenges simultaneously.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nibble posted:

Man that's a hefty list of starting penalties. Feels like you're starting the game out doing ten challenges simultaneously.

Yeah, it's a neat take on the genre. It's sort of like slowly fixing an extremely broken machine.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah Matter Dimensions is more like "gently caress you game, I'm overcoming these penalties".
For reference, if anyone else was as confused as me: You do not need to wait for any of those productions to go up or anything, the first reset happens when you hit 1 energy (accumulates automatically and should take about 15min IIRC).
Also, it's quite active and takes a long time until you get to keep your automation on reset.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 12, 2021

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
pretty cool idle game based around closed-loop water cycles on a planetship:

http://stopsign.github.io/Terrafold/

notes:
*starts super-active, then suddenly becomes super-idle
*your soil is limited, and you can't delete farms. don't overbuild them, or you'll get softlocked; i ran comfortably off 20 for the initial phase of the game.
*there doesn't appear to be an export/import system? if someone figures out how to export/import, please let me know!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think you can avoid that softlock if you make sure to get the science to unlock computers before you run out of land.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

I think you can avoid that softlock if you make sure to get the science to unlock computers before you run out of land.
Oh no, the potential softlock occurs *after* the computer and before the space station

If you use up too much land, you wont be able to get enough trees to afford the 5 million oxygen cost

(And yeah, you can turn ore to dirt, but that takes *forever*)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

crime weed posted:

Oh no, the potential softlock occurs *after* the computer and before the space station

If you use up too much land, you wont be able to get enough trees to afford the 5 million oxygen cost

Oh ok. I didn't get that far and IIRC I had more farms than that even early on. Can't you just keep improving land to get more soil?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

thank you for these blessings

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

crime weed posted:

notes:
*your soil is limited, and you can't delete farms. don't overbuild them, or you'll get softlocked; i ran comfortably off 20 for the initial phase of the game.
*there doesn't appear to be an export/import system? if someone figures out how to export/import, please let me know!

My reaction to starting this shortly before bed time: " Huh, this seems kinda neat, but all I can do is buy ice. Wait, so storage fills up and income increases, and rain happens and make land and OH GOD I NEED TO KEEP BUYING ICE OHGODWHERE'STHEAUTOMATION oh okay, computer lets me just auto buy ice. Time to set my population to half cash and all my numbers are going up, time to go to bed."

I look forward to seeing what else I can poke at when I come back to it tomorrow.

And yes, I know I can buy ice in lots of up to 1000 at the start, its more the needing/wanting to get the automated ice buying going so I don't come back to "Your people all died multiple times over and the land returned to arid dirt" like what basically happened in Kitten game/Evolution if you didn't set job ratios properly.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 13, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Honestly it took me like ten minutes to figure out I needed to buy more ice than I could store to progress the game.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Residual Toast posted:

On the other end of relaxing, there's http://semenar.ru/matter-dim-test/index.html, which is similar in structure to antimatter dimensions but different in content. There's a lot of game here, with lots of prestige layers.

What am i missing with this one?
I bought all the photonic upgrades 2/1 times but it didnt really speed things up all that much and the next upgrade costs 47 photonic and the gains level off long before you can buy the 2nd dimension? I sure am not going to manually reset 47 times to get to the next upgrade

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 13, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Check the achievements page. There are permanent bonuses in there and the specific early one you want is 'Formula Break' which multiplies photon gain by 3.14. The 47 photon upgrade will get you to the next reset currency.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Aha, ok i have gravitrons now.

Still feels like i am doing something wrong. Getting one of those just unlocked another menu but didn't give any boost to production, it looks like i need to redo everything i have done so far to gain the next point to actually boost production?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only actual mercy is that you still get 3 Photons at minimum per reset, because that's an achievement. Inertia upgrades don't reset either, which helps a lot with getting through to making Graviton not just a waste of your time, but it's still pretty lovely that it resets everything with no actual benefit.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah the first reset of every new layer is "start with some currency of the lower layers and no bonii :shrug:". It's pretty annoying.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

crime weed posted:

notes:

That's because it was never finished and has a week of content or so. Very much worth a play and you can see how the dev thinks they coded themselves into a long drawn out corner in the end.

Stop Sign has good ideas for idle games really wish he'd pick one to turn into a cash cow so he can do what he loves for living.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 13, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

crime weed posted:

The softlock is after the space station, but the soil and stuff can be improved enough that I went up to 40 farms and I can still comfortably afford the cost (although it's gonna take a while to get up there). It leaks 0.0001% oxygen per tick, and I've got 80/tick income, therefore giving a theoretical max of ~8mil.

What I've got so far:

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 13, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Loop hero has a demo out on steam now. Honestly it seems pretty fun and I'll probably pick it up

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Soo I closed the Terrafold tab earlier and went back to it just now and my progress has been reset to the beginning. Seems it doesn't save any cookies or anything. Lol, gently caress that. Was an interesting experience but never again.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Has anyone who has played https://proto23.herokuapp.com/ have any idea what are the requirements for going through the southern forest exit?

Edit: and also what the hells the deal with the nervous guy

Lilli fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 14, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lilli posted:

Has anyone who has played https://proto23.herokuapp.com/ have any idea what are the requirements for going through the southern forest exit?

I don't have any answers for you but thanks for posting a link to this, this seems neat so far.

Edit: vv aww

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 14, 2021

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Lilli posted:

Both aren't implemented yet—the game is still being worked on and basically in a pre-alpha state atm, once you've found the bulk of the recipes/skills/titles currently in and fully investigated the basement and hidden western woods path you're p much done for now

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While Terrafold is neat, I do have one minor complaint, in that I wish the game would tell you how many mines you had built. I'm assuming that if the robots can't build more mines, then I'm at the limit, but it would be nice to see that with my own eyes.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

After an overnight resource farming i could buy the tractor beam in the morning.

At first glance it felt pretty pointless, as it didn't really do much to my numbers but all of a sudden i have millions of trees and soil. I guess the landmass the tractor pulls down from space scales or something?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Zyxyz posted:

Both aren't implemented yet—the game is still being worked on and basically in a pre-alpha state atm, once you've found the bulk of the recipes/skills/titles currently in and fully investigated the basement and hidden western woods path you're p much done for now

Okay, thank you. Its a cool game and I hope it continues to be developed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lilli posted:

What are good sources of energy gain aside from the free food in the dojo on Sunday? I'm bottomed out, and beating up dummies in the dojo for scraps seems awful, but I'm too tired to fight properly in the Woods and too poor to buy food.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kind of at a loss for getting to the layer after gravitonic in matter dimensions, not sure if i just need to do long runs to upgrade stuff that costs 100k+ photons to progress or what

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Aurora posted:

kind of at a loss for getting to the layer after gravitonic in matter dimensions, not sure if i just need to do long runs to upgrade stuff that costs 100k+ photons to progress or what

I had to look that one up on the discord, hint is you need to do it in a challenge. Full explanation:

All production upgrades through to 6, PC1-3 completed, and store 6 gravitons.

Enter PC3, buy everything up to at least 2000 photons. Skip the 1st dim upgrades past the 1 cost of the 2nd photonic upgrade

Then you skip buying more then one 1st matter dimension, and protect your antimatter. Once your antimatter exceeds the protection, turn off your protection and let your antimatter remove all of your matter.

That should remove the nerf based on your total matter, and you should be able to slowly reach 2 neutrons.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i started losing more than i gained of 1st matter dimensions at like 55, not sure what i did wrong. a little confusing to follow that guide. oh well, time to do everything from the start again

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Feline Mind Meld posted:

anything worth playing usually shows up in the reddit incremental and if you want you can trawl places like almost idle but the genre kind of hit it's apex already so the good ones are father apart as people don't have as many new mechanic ideas or the time to polish the old ones

The real problem is that people work on a core loop, and then make the game just go on until infinity, a problem exacerbated by the countless mobile idlers.

It's never about bigger numbers. It's always about what those bigger numbers get you, but that is currently an afterthought among most developers. The numbers themselves don't actually matter all that much. I know, heresy.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i want bigger numbers

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Been a while but I'm pretty sure in Matter Dimensions you can just turn off the antimatter protection to make sure it all gets destroyed, and then you can easily go above 100 matter and buy a new dimension. You do need the photonic challenges.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

bit past that point :v:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Okay :v:
I don't think I ever had the protection turned on except once to get an achievement, and I also found the "make AM grow faster" upgrades quite pointless.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lilli posted:

This seems to have a lot of promise. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of it

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Anfauglir posted:

I had to look that one up on the discord, hint is you need to do it in a challenge. Full explanation:

All production upgrades through to 6, PC1-3 completed, and store 6 gravitons.

Enter PC3, buy everything up to at least 2000 photons. Skip the 1st dim upgrades past the 1 cost of the 2nd photonic upgrade

Then you skip buying more then one 1st matter dimension, and protect your antimatter. Once your antimatter exceeds the protection, turn off your protection and let your antimatter remove all of your matter.

That should remove the nerf based on your total matter, and you should be able to slowly reach 2 neutrons.

When you say slowly, like.. how slowly? Over 15 minutes into this strat I have 19 matter dimension 1, and production is only getting slower because of the time-since-last-reset divisor.

E: At 19.7 I started losing dims, so it's a no-go. I must be missing something.

First matter dimension x1, second x1
First photonic dimension x3, second x2, third x1
Photonic upgrades: Time x4, skip #2 and #5, all the rest bought once
PC3 active
Graviton upgrades: All that cost 6 or less bought

Nibble fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 15, 2021

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

The real problem is that people work on a core loop, and then make the game just go on until infinity, a problem exacerbated by the countless mobile idlers.

It's never about bigger numbers. It's always about what those bigger numbers get you, but that is currently an afterthought among most developers. The numbers themselves don't actually matter all that much. I know, heresy.

I would love a numberless incremental. Give me some nice circles/bars/etc that fill up, and unlock more stuff to watch fill up and make other stuff fill up faster. Combine that with some non-programmer art and maybe some actual sound design, and that would be the ultimate soothing game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nibble posted:

When you say slowly, like.. how slowly? Over 15 minutes into this strat I have 19 matter dimension 1, and production is only getting slower because of the time-since-last-reset divisor.

E: At 19.7 I started losing dims, so it's a no-go. I must be missing something.

First matter dimension x1, second x1
First photonic dimension x3, second x2, third x1
Photonic upgrades: Time x4, skip #2 and #5, all the rest bought once
PC3 active
Graviton upgrades: All that cost 6 or less bought

After buying all the 6-cost Grav upgrades, make sure you have 6 more unspent Grav since it boosts your power.