Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Its true, that would be A solution. If your game exists on Stadia and Stadia ONLY, then you could add all kinds of content and players wouldn't have any way of data mining (unless they hack Stadia somehow)

But that's a pretty brutal tradeoff. I think there's more clever solutions out there that don't require giving up doing any client-side rendering, but they take more work.

yeah, Stadia is essentially the skinniest thin client possible. For a more traditional but more secure game client I'd imagine you would need to have your engine capable of streaming all sorts of assets - essentially you'd need to go halfway toward building another Second Life. You would need to support sending models, animations, textures, audio files etc across the wire, or somehow building them from primitives that you store in the client. But then you may as well go the extra mile and build another Second Life and allow users to upload their own assets. Dicks, dicks everywhere!

Definitely easier to just put the spyware on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think there's a worthy middle ground where you still store art assets client-side but have as little metadata or level scripting and stream all that as the client is aware of it.

So people could data mine "there are 2 bosses, one of them looks like a dragon" but they wouldn't know where they are or how much HP they have or what their weaknesses or loot tables are.

Again though, its more work and for how much benefit?

The thing is even if you can't data-mine, you still have a race among players to get world-first and then post the Fatboss guides for everybody else to watch, spoiling everything. So data mining itself only buys you a little more lead time before the full spoilers.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Chev posted:

It's not necessarily laziness, but in the early years of graphical MMOs (MUDs had already learned that lesson more than a decade earlier) developers seriously underestimated the lengths to which players would go to gain an advantage by messing with the client and connection. In modern days (especially post-Destiny as it was a presentation about it that popularized the concept) putting more responsibilities on the client and trying to protect it with anti-cheat has a different reason to be, which is that every authoritative computation done client-side is a computation you don't need server infrastructure for, so you get less server bills.

It's kinda super hard to get reliable metrics for unusual behavior. It's again related to how devs underestimate what players can do, so you end end with too many false positives. Plus you'll need some serious computing power to compile those metrics in the first place. It's much easier and cheaper to foist spyware on your players, especially now publishers know the majority of players is willing to passively go along with it.

Having a games media willing to write puff pieces about how your blatant cost cut strategy is actually a revolutionary breakthrough in network and server engineering helps too

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It really cracks me up because yesterday after watching Preserving Worlds (which I heartily recommend) I looked up the 1990 postmortem of Lucasfilm's Habitat and of course they'd already realized that anything not server-side would be used for cheating.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Chev posted:

It really cracks me up because yesterday after watching Preserving Worlds (which I heartily recommend) I looked up the 1990 postmortem of Lucasfilm's Habitat and of course they'd already realized that anything not server-side would be used for cheating.

Thank you for sharing these they're great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chev posted:

Its interesting how many almost-MMOs there have been made throughout time that just disappeared and most everybody forgot about them.

Gosh I can barely remember myself, but I know in addition to Habitat there were at least a couple other similar almost-second-life style projects, I think Sony did one?

Seems like they got pretty far but the tech was just too rudimentary for their ambitions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like that every generation has their own virtual world sorta deal that gets big, latest being VRChat of course.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CYBEReris posted:

I like that every generation has their own virtual world sorta deal that gets big, latest being VRChat of course.

And much like Second Life it will rapidly devolve into degeneracy.

Although SL had a whole thing with a secondary economy going on so that is largely different.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Roblox has also made great strides in this area.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
All the talk about old EQ UI got me thinking pretty hard about the question in the thread title.

For myself at least I don't think their will ever be a good MMO again. I made a character on my brothers EQ account when I was like 10 years old and played a lot over the course of the early 2000's. Even at that age I was obsessed with high fantasy with swords and magic and poo poo. Being able to play in a world like that for the first time was like nothing else in gaming I've ever experienced. With the lack of high speed internet and guide sites like allakhazam not really being in play at the time you depended on others for information about the game and what to do or where to go. Even just zoning into the higher level zones adjacent to the one I would be leveling to check them out was scarier and more exciting than any other game because it was so mysterious and I had no idea what I was getting into, I felt like a badass explorer. It felt like an actual world where you had to communicate with people to get anywhere meaningful. I think a lot of what made EQ so great at that time was a few things: my young age accompanied by a wild imagination made it easier to just get excited about a game and dive in, the community was generally friendly and helpful and lastly it was a completely new(to me at least) genre of game unlike I had ever imagined, I had played RPGs but never in an online fashion in a huge mostly unchanging world.

I played WoW from closed beta to about a 9 months after launch then quit because it didn't feel the same. Fast forward to now I can't even bother to care about MMO's. Some people I worked with convinced me to join them in WoW classic, they all quit soon after and I stayed for like 3 months maxed out 2 characters and got all my best in slots for my mage and some for my rogue. When playing and grinding endlessly I wondered why I wasn't having fun and I think I realized the reason. Nothing was a mystery, there was nothing to be excited about. I could find the most efficient builds, best xp grinds, best farms, or any information that I wanted in seconds with wow websites. It became a chore of how to get the best stuff and I did it with the efficiency of coked out 80's businessman but without the enjoyable part of being high as gently caress. When I had everything I wanted after running MC every single week and grinding reputation and gold so I could get my epic mount etc. I just kinda sat there and wondered wtf I was doing and canceled my subscription because MMO's are more of a job than most actual jobs and that's where it stops being fun. If you're not treating it like a job you're missing out on keeping pace with everyone else around you and can't find groups but if you go all in like I did and blast through content you get to the top and have nothing left to do except look at all the days you wasted.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

CYBEReris posted:

Has there been a major MMO VR game yet? Excluding, Star Citizen, of course

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Virginia Slams posted:

All the talk about old EQ UI got me thinking pretty hard about the question in the thread title.

For myself at least I don't think their will ever be a good MMO again. I made a character on my brothers EQ account when I was like 10 years old and played a lot over the course of the early 2000's. Even at that age I was obsessed with high fantasy with swords and magic and poo poo. Being able to play in a world like that for the first time was like nothing else in gaming I've ever experienced. With the lack of high speed internet and guide sites like allakhazam not really being in play at the time you depended on others for information about the game and what to do or where to go. Even just zoning into the higher level zones adjacent to the one I would be leveling to check them out was scarier and more exciting than any other game because it was so mysterious and I had no idea what I was getting into, I felt like a badass explorer. It felt like an actual world where you had to communicate with people to get anywhere meaningful. I think a lot of what made EQ so great at that time was a few things: my young age accompanied by a wild imagination made it easier to just get excited about a game and dive in, the community was generally friendly and helpful and lastly it was a completely new(to me at least) genre of game unlike I had ever imagined, I had played RPGs but never in an online fashion in a huge mostly unchanging world.

I played WoW from closed beta to about a 9 months after launch then quit because it didn't feel the same. Fast forward to now I can't even bother to care about MMO's. Some people I worked with convinced me to join them in WoW classic, they all quit soon after and I stayed for like 3 months maxed out 2 characters and got all my best in slots for my mage and some for my rogue. When playing and grinding endlessly I wondered why I wasn't having fun and I think I realized the reason. Nothing was a mystery, there was nothing to be excited about. I could find the most efficient builds, best xp grinds, best farms, or any information that I wanted in seconds with wow websites. It became a chore of how to get the best stuff and I did it with the efficiency of coked out 80's businessman but without the enjoyable part of being high as gently caress. When I had everything I wanted after running MC every single week and grinding reputation and gold so I could get my epic mount etc. I just kinda sat there and wondered wtf I was doing and canceled my subscription because MMO's are more of a job than most actual jobs and that's where it stops being fun. If you're not treating it like a job you're missing out on keeping pace with everyone else around you and can't find groups but if you go all in like I did and blast through content you get to the top and have nothing left to do except look at all the days you wasted.

This is the same reason why I think there will never be another MMO worth playing like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, and early WoW was for a lot of people my age.

Just last week I read about some "movement" a poster was trying to start in MMOs. Basically, they said that to enjoy modern MMOs all you have to do is not read online guides or watch youtube videos about the game. If you did this, all the feelings you had for old school MMOs would return.

I think what they failed to realize is just how difficult it would be to truly do this in a game like modern WoW. I want to see a new person start Shadowlands Mythic dungeons (not even raids) without knowing the spec you are supposed to be, which gear attributes you need, your rotation, and every detail about the dungeon encounters. I want to see how quickly they would be kicked out of the group.

This could only work if you found a solid group of people with the same mindset. That could actually be an interesting experiment.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

This is the same reason why I think there will never be another MMO worth playing like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, and early WoW was for a lot of people my age.

Just last week I read about some "movement" a poster was trying to start in MMOs. Basically, they said that to enjoy modern MMOs all you have to do is not read online guides or watch youtube videos about the game. If you did this, all the feelings you had for old school MMOs would return.

I think what they failed to realize is just how difficult it would be to truly do this in a game like modern WoW. I want to see a new person start Shadowlands Mythic dungeons (not even raids) without knowing the spec you are supposed to be, which gear attributes you need, your rotation, and every detail about the dungeon encounters. I want to see how quickly they would be kicked out of the group.

This could only work if you found a solid group of people with the same mindset. That could actually be an interesting experiment.

I mean people have to actually do the content to know how to make guides for it. There's always a sort of vanguard doing the content blind.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I know this is streamer poo poo but in the lull between prepatch Shadowlands a bunch of streamers leveled characters to 30 I think and did the "raid appropriate content" for that level. The guild leader was a dude who had never played or at least raided in WoW before. It was certainly entertaining to see them follow his instructions for 5 hours on a single boss trying to beat it ha. I imagine it would be near impossible for a bunch of randoms to do that and be dedicated to the gimmick.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

I mean people have to actually do the content to know how to make guides for it. There's always a sort of vanguard doing the content blind.

Exactly! That's the kind of content I would want but that leads into what I was talking about. If you had a brand new MMO with ludicrous amount of content and an actual player base you could have that experience but the catch is to have that opportunity you would have to pour a preposterous amount of time in to stay on top so you can consistently be a part of the unconquered content as the server progresses, which leads into it feeling more like work than a game. Otherwise you wait too long, even a week or two and everyone has that content figured out down to the last detail of the loot tables and you have lost that mystery/adventure and then it's just cold hard strategy on how to do it fast. And if you missed that window for unspoiled content and aren't on the same page as everyone else doing high level content, like Cardboard Fox said nobody is going to want to be in a group with you. There's no real way to balance it without that large hypothetical group of friends who are consistently playing and grouping with you while everyone is in agreement to willfully ignore all guides, it would be an interesting idea almost akin to a form of roleplaying. I think in practice it wouldn't work out because getting a large group of people on the same page is already ball bustingly difficult in real life and doubly so online. No matter what though you will run out of content when you're keeping pace and consistently in the top tier of players and then there's nothing left to do but reroll another character or endlessly run instances to help friends or randoms get their top level gear.

But again this is just how it is for me and why I won't ever likely enjoy another new MMO for more than maybe a few months at a time.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Cardboard Fox posted:

I played a Japanese only MMO (Dragon Quest X) for a few years. There was no translation patch of any kind. It really helped cultivate that old-school, no idea what the gently caress is going on feeling.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

At the same time, unless you have a static pre-made group of people doing that, it becomes impossible to interact with other players while still holding to that pattern. You're trading the social aspect for a solo one, in which case the mmo is just an extremely grinding bog standard rpg

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

At the same time, unless you have a static pre-made group of people doing that, it becomes impossible to interact with other players while still holding to that pattern. You're trading the social aspect for a solo one, in which case the mmo is just an extremely grinding bog standard rpg

Pretty much this, "I won't read a guide" in many turns into you effectively being a complete rear end in a top hat to other players in any form of cooperative matchmade content or otherwise required party or dungeon content, and you still don't get the sense of friendship, camaderie, or guild interactivity (poo poo, guilds in half the asian MMOs exist just for people to be the first to get a guild named a single short dictionary word for clout)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Call me crazy, but doing homework outside of the game just so I can play a mmo the “right” or most efficient way is... not fun?!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Biowarfare posted:

Pretty much this, "I won't read a guide" in many turns into you effectively being a complete rear end in a top hat to other players in any form of cooperative matchmade content or otherwise required party or dungeon content, and you still don't get the sense of friendship, camaderie, or guild interactivity (poo poo, guilds in half the asian MMOs exist just for people to be the first to get a guild named a single short dictionary word for clout)

what? no. never read guides you can only do content blind once (if that's your thing, anyway)

if people can't handle a newbie they shouldn't join the group with newbies

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Carmant posted:

I played a Japanese only MMO (Dragon Quest X) for a few years. There was no translation patch of any kind. It really helped cultivate that old-school, no idea what the gently caress is going on feeling.

Yep same thing with age of wushu. That was the first mmo in a long long time to have that feeling for me. Nobody knew poo poo because the translation sucked and even when you could figure it out it never really worked quite right or was so loving weird you wondered if yall are actually doing it right. It was kinda niche and the vanguard guilds kept their findings in house because it was a PvP heavy game.

I'm sure everyone's figured that poo poo out by now though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shadowlz posted:

Yep same thing with age of wushu. That was the first mmo in a long long time to have that feeling for me. Nobody knew poo poo because the translation sucked and even when you could figure it out it never really worked quite right or was so loving weird you wondered if yall are actually doing it right. It was kinda niche and the vanguard guilds kept their findings in house because it was a PvP heavy game.

I'm sure everyone's figured that poo poo out by now though.

wushu was so fuckin fun

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kedo posted:

Call me crazy, but doing homework outside of the game just so I can play a mmo the “right” or most efficient way is... not fun?!

There's no right way to play an mmo, it's just that if you are interested in an alternative playstyle than most then you shouldn't be surprised when no one wants to group with you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chopstix posted:

Has there been a major MMO VR game yet? Excluding, Star Citizen, of course

Star Citizen has no VR support or plans to support it AFAIK, one of the few features they HAVEN'T already sold.

I can't think of any VR MMOs yet except for maybe something like Rec Room, which only counts in a Second Life sort of way.

Lots of people want to be the "oasis", the virtual reality internet. But nobody's really trying for a VR MMO.

When you think about it, MMOs are crazy expensive and nobody is even making flatscreen MMOs anymore, and VR games have a small audience, so huge budget + small audience doesn't make for good business calculus.

I would absolutely kill for a VR Ren Faire type experience though, someplace to walk around and roleplay with others in VR in fantasy costumes. Having actual gameplay would just be a bonus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kedo posted:

That's fair, but to plenty of other people, that's totally "The game".

EVE online is half played in forums, for instance.

I think discussing tactics with your guild can be really cool, although the fact that top tier teams race and find the strat and put videos out somewhat negates the ability to actually have a conversation around strategy and turns it into just "everybody watch this video before Saturday"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zaphod42 posted:

I would absolutely kill for a VR Ren Faire type experience though, someplace to walk around and roleplay with others in VR in fantasy costumes. Having actual gameplay would just be a bonus.
If one came out I might pick up VR just for that

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kedo posted:

There are no MMOs where a bumbling 40 year old drunk idiot without discord whining about his second divorce in global chat can join an end-game raid moments after beating the tutorial and contribute enough dps to beat the enrage timer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There is a VR MMO, and for how little funding it has, it is really rather fun. It's called Orbus. The first time I played, someone was glitched into the wall behind a fish trophy. Anyway, the fish trophy person gave me a quest to go kill a monster outside the city walls that would one shot me. I still played along and they sent another player to watch form a distance and see if I did it. Then when I reported in and said I failed his quest he gave me like 10k gold.

Game is pretty fun, though, still a bit limited. Magic users have to accurately draw runes in the air to cast, Paladins hold their mace above their head to generate lightning charges, etc.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

eonwe posted:

Magic users have to accurately draw runes in the air to cast, Paladins hold their mace above their head to generate lightning charges, etc.
That sounds amazing

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I get that undiscovered feeling in overly expensive alphas and betas. Can't find a guide for a thing with a $200 barrier to entry and 4 weeks of game time that will be rendered moot and impermenence

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

There is a VR MMO, and for how little funding it has, it is really rather fun. It's called Orbus. The first time I played, someone was glitched into the wall behind a fish trophy. Anyway, the fish trophy person gave me a quest to go kill a monster outside the city walls that would one shot me. I still played along and they sent another player to watch form a distance and see if I did it. Then when I reported in and said I failed his quest he gave me like 10k gold.

Game is pretty fun, though, still a bit limited. Magic users have to accurately draw runes in the air to cast, Paladins hold their mace above their head to generate lightning charges, etc.

That's extremely my poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfHEeuIPnw&t=96s

thing at this time stamp was what one shot me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Citizen has no VR support or plans to support it AFAIK, one of the few features they HAVEN'T already sold.

uhh, i definitely remember oculus rift kickstarter happening at around the same time and crobber being excited about it. one of the (very early) playable versions even had DK2 support

it's since been stripped from the game because the game performs like absolute poo poo even in flat mode, but the dreams live on :v:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
The whole "EQ had no spoilers" thing is just nostalgia clouding memories though - sure, Allakhazam wasn't up at launch but EQStratics and three or four other websites whose names I've forgotten (EQLore?) were, and so were a bunch of message boards happily spoiling the poo poo out of everything they could find.

Partly because Verant tried to hide everything from the players and while a minority loved that, turns out most people want to know things like "So what does this new ability/spell actually do?" and " Did I miss something on this questline that had me run around three continents killing rare mobs, or is this poo poo just broken? "

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think the biggest thing back in the day was that you weren't expected to read a bunch of guides/youtubes about a particular subject

it wasn't hard to spoil yourself on the content if you wanted to, but out of game resources weren't considered required for playing by other people like they are these days

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

goddamn maps were out of game resources

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Truga posted:

i think the biggest thing back in the day was that you weren't expected to read a bunch of guides/youtubes about a particular subject

it wasn't hard to spoil yourself on the content if you wanted to, but out of game resources weren't considered required for playing by other people like they are these days

Original eq forced full screen and having a 2nd monitor / computer to look up stuff was not as common as it is today. The prime source of information at the time was other players. To an extent players still provide information in mmo games now but a lot of times it’s referring folks to an offsite reference.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

milkman dad posted:

Original eq forced full screen and having a 2nd monitor / computer to look up stuff was not as common as it is today.

as I recall you couldn't even alt-tab. it was bad.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

It was pretty normal to have a stack of printed maps from EQAtlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

It was pretty normal to have a stack of printed maps from EQAtlas.

Yeah I totally printed a bunch of them