Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

You know, I never realised how much time parrots spend licking things before I had one.
I just think of their tongue as their index finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
the pull up bar belongs to the bird now btw

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

the pull up bar belongs to the bird now btw

That and the top of my AC. I was excited to move out and get my own place before I got Chickadoodle, but now I'm even more excited. I'll bird proof the entire place and let them have free reign. Floors are typically stone here so easy cleanup! Had him perched on my shoulder whilst I did my morning routine, it was fab.

Captain Log posted:

For what it's worth, the video you posted didn't say terror or desperation to me. I just saw a young, excitable parakeet doing young excitable parakeet things.

As sad as it is to admit, I've spent almost an entire month with this little fluff, day in day out. Silver lining to being unemployed I guess. I know the video might not have showcased it, but I'm definitely in tune with their behaviour, and they really are stressed / unhappy in there. Pacing back and forth, trying to chew their way out, constantly attempting to dig in the corners, the chirps aren't the playful chirps they do right before letting me attack them with chin scratches, it's morose and frustrated. I uncovered them at 8am again today, only to wake up at 11am with them death staring me from the bottom corner of the cage floor, as soon as they saw me look at them the pacing and breakout attempts began. Was really hoping to wake up to them relaxing on the perch. I did manage to sneak a look at them last night and they were hunkered down on the topmost perch sleeping. Same shenanigans with the food bowl today though, they're hungry but will run up my arm as soon as I try to put them in the cage while eating from the food bowl.

I think I'm just going to stop making the same updates regarding the cage, fingers crossed in a week I'll just post a simple "the cage is his temple now" and we can all clap.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Qubee posted:

That and the top of my AC. I was excited to move out and get my own place before I got Chickadoodle, but now I'm even more excited. I'll bird proof the entire place and let them have free reign. Floors are typically stone here so easy cleanup! Had him perched on my shoulder whilst I did my morning routine, it was fab.

As sad as it is to admit, I've spent almost an entire month with this little fluff, day in day out. Silver lining to being unemployed I guess. I know the video might not have showcased it, but I'm definitely in tune with their behaviour, and they really are stressed / unhappy in there. Pacing back and forth, trying to chew their way out, constantly attempting to dig in the corners, the chirps aren't the playful chirps they do right before letting me attack them with chin scratches, it's morose and frustrated. I uncovered them at 8am again today, only to wake up at 11am with them death staring me from the bottom corner of the cage floor, as soon as they saw me look at them the pacing and breakout attempts began. Was really hoping to wake up to them relaxing on the perch. I did manage to sneak a look at them last night and they were hunkered down on the topmost perch sleeping. Same shenanigans with the food bowl today though, they're hungry but will run up my arm as soon as I try to put them in the cage while eating from the food bowl.

I think I'm just going to stop making the same updates regarding the cage, fingers crossed in a week I'll just post a simple "the cage is his temple now" and we can all clap.

I get where you're coming from, Serra is literally always with someone unless I'm at my monthly infusion.

As with all things related to our neurotic little doofuses, it takes time. I'm sure things will start to improve. You're doing everything you can. :derptiel:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Is there a favored resource for keeping pigeons as pets?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The fire alarm went off and I tried to evacuate with the birds and Ozzy got spooked and bit the poo poo out of my hands, which I'm not worried about, but I've never ever seen him so scared of me, and Sera's mad too but not in the way Ozzy is and if I've just undone three goddamn years of trust and boundaries and encouragement and gentle patience trying to get him in a carrier at night because the fire alarm was going off, I will never ever forgive myself, and after everything we didn't even go outside because maintenance was downstairs going "nah, it's just steam, we set it off by accident, you can go back up," so if someone could give me some reassurance that I probably didn't just destroy my entire relationship with my already-traumatised-when-I-got-him cockatiel I would really appreciate that, thanks.

I told them sorry. I use that word enough that they may or may not understand it. gently caress me.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

RoboRodent posted:

The fire alarm went off and I tried to evacuate with the birds and Ozzy got spooked and bit the poo poo out of my hands, which I'm not worried about, but I've never ever seen him so scared of me, and Sera's mad too but not in the way Ozzy is and if I've just undone three goddamn years of trust and boundaries and encouragement and gentle patience trying to get him in a carrier at night because the fire alarm was going off, I will never ever forgive myself, and after everything we didn't even go outside because maintenance was downstairs going "nah, it's just steam, we set it off by accident, you can go back up," so if someone could give me some reassurance that I probably didn't just destroy my entire relationship with my already-traumatised-when-I-got-him cockatiel I would really appreciate that, thanks.

I told them sorry. I use that word enough that they may or may not understand it. gently caress me.

I've had the fire alarm go off when I'm holding my Sunny, he'll be scared as poo poo for a bit, but will calm down. It won't undo 3 years of love and affection.

edit: and I've noticed birds are more empathetic than they may seem at first. My cockatiel tries to comfort me when I'm down, to the best of his limited abilities

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

When Serra has her night frights, she absolutely does not see me when I'm trying to calm her down. But she hasn't ever held a grudge after it happened. I think you were dealing with pure instinct and don't even think their memory is truly "on" during those events.

I'm still sorry you had to go through that. :( But I'm confident you haven't done anything that will impact your relationship. :derptiel:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been eyeballing budgie poops since the very first day, is it normal for poops to get smaller in size once budgies wean? When this one was on the formula diet, they'd drop great big girthy monsters. Now that they're eating pellets / seeds, the droppings are smaller, and don't have as much water that comes with the poops. My budgie does drink water though, but only small sips!

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 14, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm cautiously optimistic because I had a panic-attack-induced cry last night which had both birds making worried noises at me, as is usual, and both gave me sleepy cute noises when I uncovered them this morning before I went to work.

So we'll see how they're feeling when I get home, I guess.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RoboRodent posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic because I had a panic-attack-induced cry last night which had both birds making worried noises at me, as is usual, and both gave me sleepy cute noises when I uncovered them this morning before I went to work.

So we'll see how they're feeling when I get home, I guess.

I've posted before about my dubiously ethical gaslighting technique to avoid longterm bird trauma, and, given that it really does seem to work, I'd just carry on with them 100% as normal, no being different, or apologetic or cautious.
Parrots are, after all, flock people, and if no one else is upset about a thing, they do seem to decide that they are probably imagining it.

I've used the tactic a few times, mostly when I had to towel Pookie the grey for various emergencies, and when we're done we just unroll her, whip the towel away out of sight, and carry on as if nothing happened. She always looks outraged and very touselled for a minute or two, looks around to establish that she has actually been treated very roughly, them when everyone is behaving as though nothing happened, she just forgets about it, usually within a minute or two.

It does feel kind of grubby, but also it does avoid major upset, and since the upsetting thing was done for entirely loving reasons, it does feel justified.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Cockatiels are immensely forgiving birds, too. Wandy had to go through some very rough situations when I was ill and living alone, in and out of the hospital without any friends to help my household. I'm ashamed to say it happened, but my failing health dictated the situation.

I always thought Wandy would hate me forever when she spent a day or two alone. Or that she would be traumatized. Her response was always to march right out of her cage and nuzzle me until everything was OK. I don't really think cockatiels are capable of holding a grudge, however well deserved it is or isn't.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, you're all very right and very reasonable, which I was very much not last night. Oof.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Birds seem to be very forgiving, I was deathly afraid I'd destroy all trust with mine when I had to resort to grabbing them to put them in their cage because they're an absolute terror when they know it's bedtime.

https://i.imgur.com/mBzeg35.mp4
This is Chickadoodle today, after countless times being grabbed and put in the cage, and all the stress that causes. They do this when they want some cuddles, but it's hard for me to safely give them chin scratches when they're on my shoulder. Looking at them just causes me to see double and I can't work out where to put my fingers without bumping their head. We're all lucky to have birds, and I think it'd take some pretty lovely behaviour to have them actually hold a grudge against us.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
omg

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Qubee posted:

Birds seem to be very forgiving, I was deathly afraid I'd destroy all trust with mine when I had to resort to grabbing them to put them in their cage because they're an absolute terror when they know it's bedtime.

https://i.imgur.com/mBzeg35.mp4
This is Chickadoodle today, after countless times being grabbed and put in the cage, and all the stress that causes. They do this when they want some cuddles, but it's hard for me to safely give them chin scratches when they're on my shoulder. Looking at them just causes me to see double and I can't work out where to put my fingers without bumping their head. We're all lucky to have birds, and I think it'd take some pretty lovely behaviour to have them actually hold a grudge against us.

Birb is thinking, "scritch me scritch me scritch me scritch me!!!"

:3:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy was upset for about fifteen minutes when I came home, which could've been about anything, up to and including the yellow roses I bought myself, and now he's chilling near me while Sera climbs all over me.

I'm an idiot. You can all roll your eyes at me. I'm sorry.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Worrying about upsetting your pets can be silly but it's hardly dumb. I'm glad he's chill. :3:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Niko has a new favorite way to snuggle.

https://i.imgur.com/jx1YKoE.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

Ozzy was upset for about fifteen minutes when I came home, which could've been about anything, up to and including the yellow roses I bought myself, and now he's chilling near me while Sera climbs all over me.

I'm an idiot. You can all roll your eyes at me. I'm sorry.

You're not an idiot, nobody is rolling their eyes, you don't need to be sorry ❤️

I am glad things turned out okay :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You're not an idiot, nobody is rolling their eyes, you don't need to be sorry ❤️

I am glad things turned out okay :)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just got home from the vet. Turns out Hannah has a bit of arthritis in his left knee. No breaks or neurological issues. He's home now and stoned lmao. They gave him some drugs to chill him out during the exam. He's super tired now and just totally out of it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I love stoned birds. When we took Teeka in for a gash on his foot a few years back he was the nicest drugged out fellow ever

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This is the cuddliest he's been in 30 years.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pets being stoned after a vet visit are a pure joy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh that poor old heavily drugged borb!
Poor Hannah, hopefully he can get on a treatment regime that has him back to his old, bathroom defending self soon. Poor old chap, his foot just have been hurty for a while. (No reflection on his family, we all know how much birds hide this stuff)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I would actually trust a Drug Grey.

Please, pet your Drug Grey for me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

He got lots of that today. And sleep. On the way home he was active and trying to get out of his travel cage (he almost figured it out btw). When we came home, he sat with me and slept. He woke up and demanded to go on his play stand. He sat there and slept hard for a couple hours, head tucked behind his wing and everything. He ate dinner and he's been relaxing since then.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i am so glad he's generally okay; i was worried. lots of adorable birb posting recently pls keep it all up

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Guess what!?

Serra hit 120g today!!!

That was her stretch goal!!! Hooray, you slightly less fat Borb!!!

If she maintains this weight (or loses more) over the next few weeks, the vet and I are going to get her shifted to a healthier diet. Her diet isn't bad, mind you. But it could be better.

Keep in mind, her food was not changed or reduced in any way. I just split her food between two feedings a day, then steal the food bowl a few hours before she goes to bed.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think your bird weight loss saga is fascinating and encouraging.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

SuperKlaus posted:

I think your bird weight loss saga is fascinating and encouraging.

:downs: :respek: :derptiel:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Congratulations Serra!

:bird: And still plenty of fluff to scritch!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Guess what!?

Serra hit 120g today!!!

That was her stretch goal!!! Hooray, you slightly less fat Borb!!!

If she maintains this weight (or loses more) over the next few weeks, the vet and I are going to get her shifted to a healthier diet. Her diet isn't bad, mind you. But it could be better.

Keep in mind, her food was not changed or reduced in any way. I just split her food between two feedings a day, then steal the food bowl a few hours before she goes to bed.

good job, all of you! that’s nearly nine percent of her body weight in two months!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

good job, all of you! that’s nearly nine percent of her body weight in two months!!

I thought it was closer to 14%. Regardless of 9% or 14%, I'm beyond thrilled. She ballooned up and I thought she would surely get put on medication. Now, we know it's not her thyroid. It's her...being a Horny Lady Cockatiel.

:eat all the food now then hold in crop all day. More food? Gonna cram that in there, too:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I love that she lost like 14% of her body mass and still looks like the exact same fluffy beach ball :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I thought it was closer to 14%. Regardless of 9% or 14%, I'm beyond thrilled. She ballooned up and I thought she would surely get put on medication. Now, we know it's not her thyroid. It's her...being a Horny Lady Cockatiel.

:eat all the food now then hold in crop all day. More food? Gonna cram that in there, too:

it totally is, i wasn't paying attention to the numbers, sorry! even more impressive!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

it totally is, i wasn't paying attention to the numbers, sorry! even more impressive!

I figured I was wrong! I haven’t taken a maths course in...21 years? Something like that. Thank god for testing out.

Unsinkabear posted:

I love that she lost like 14% of her body mass and still looks like the exact same fluffy beach ball :kimchi:

She is a Magnificient (fat) Doofus. I should snap a picture of her on my Dad’s knee. She goes Mega Floof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have recipe recommendations for a budgie? I give a seed mix / pellet diet evenly split, but when they eat the seed mix, they'll ignore everything and only go for the millet. It's a bit frustrating and I wish I could find seed mix without the drat millet. I figured I'll start making veggie mashes or whatever it's called when you blend a bunch of veggies together in a food processor.

I also want to start trying to train mine to be a tad more responsive when I call her. Right now, she's kind of Queen of the room and does whatever she wants. It can be irritating when I have to chase her back and forth between her two favourite perches to get her in the cage as I'm about to leave the house. Night time is fine, she's a lot better in the cage now, way way happier. She'll happily hop on my finger around bedtime and sorta waddle onto the perch and hunker down for sleep, I think it's the fact the budgie friend is there. I just don't know how to go about training her seeing as millet is her favourite food, but giving it as a treat is a bit redundant since it's a vast majority of her seed mix.