Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Taear posted:

So here's my thought.

What Kat Dennings is looking at might be that Quicksilver was brought from another dimension deliberately to enter the simulation and ask her questions. Similar to Jake Gyllenhall in Far From Home. It definitely doesn't feel like he's being controlled.

And it definitely feels like it's not Wanda on her own doing this.

It's Project Cataract. As in something that clouds/blocks Vision. It's gonna be your standard issue "mass produce robot zombie soldiers" evil plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Meanwhile, I highly doubt this is how they do mutants in the MCU. When they bring in mutants it's going to be proper mutants, children of the atom, genetic evolutionary species, blah blah yada yada. It's not gonna be "science/magic experiment gone wrong, all of them from a random town in New Jersey" like what seems to be happening with Monica. Like they're not gonna have Psylocke or Wolverine be from Westview, y'all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Meanwhile, I highly doubt this is how they do mutants in the MCU. When they bring in mutants it's going to be proper mutants, children of the atom, genetic evolutionary species, blah blah yada yada. It's not gonna be "science/magic experiment gone wrong" like what seems to be happening with Monica.

yeah i think it's a great excuse to give Monica her powers and set her up as a hero but it does seem unlikely they'd relegate proper House of M universe-shattering stuff to this

especially considering Far From Home is i think after this, chronologically? and there does not appear to have been a burgeoning mutant problem

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gaz-L posted:

It's Project Cataract. As in something that clouds/blocks Vision. It's gonna be your standard issue "mass produce robot zombie soldiers" evil plan.

I hope not!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Interesting that the street Wanda tells Billy and Tommy not to go past is Ellis Street. That’s definitely a coincidence, but that’s the name of the president in the MCU in Iron Man 3 and could have conceivably also been when her parents were drone striked

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Interesting that the street Wanda tells Billy and Tommy not to go past is Ellis Street. That’s definitely a coincidence, but that’s the name of the president in the MCU in Iron Man 3 and could have conceivably also been when her parents were drone striked

i figured it's just a minor Warren Ellis nod

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Taear posted:

What Kat Dennings is looking at might be that Quicksilver was brought from another dimension deliberately to enter the simulation and ask her questions. Similar to Jake Gyllenhall in Far From Home. It definitely doesn't feel like he's being controlled.

I feel like Quicksilver isn't actually X-men Quicksilver within the story. He seems to have MCU Quicksilver's powers (leaving a wavy "residue" behind him) rather than the X-Men version's simple motion blur. It could just be stylistic choice, but an early 2000's sitcom wouldn't have the budget for the MCU version of the effect (similar to earlier decades usuing era-appropriate effects), so it's a deliberate choice to depict it that way. That being said, the fact that he uses "real" VFX for his powers does point to him not really being a part of the "show".

Carlosologist posted:

It also marks a branching point of the MCU from "real" history, since Obama apparently wasn't re-elected and Ellis took over instead, so works as a nod to the idea of the Multiverse.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 13, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BrianWilly posted:

Meanwhile, I highly doubt this is how they do mutants in the MCU. When they bring in mutants it's going to be proper mutants, children of the atom, genetic evolutionary species, blah blah yada yada. It's not gonna be "science/magic experiment gone wrong, all of them from a random town in New Jersey" like what seems to be happening with Monica. Like they're not gonna have Psylocke or Wolverine be from Westview, y'all.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. When they do get around to making an X-Men movie my bet is it will be the classic kid shows up as a new student at the Xavier School story and I don't think that works if mutants have just poofed into existence.

And hand to god I though MitM debuted in the late 90's.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Herb seemed to have a hex busting awareness this episode similar to Agnes last. They also had the scene together talking in private with him later cutting into the wall. If Agnes is Agatha Harkness, I wonder if Herb was actually her partner in some way? Possibly an explanation for the Grim Reaper helmet in the episode 2 intro? A witch and the “ grim reaper” are a pairing that makes sense thematically. Wanda coming to the man known as the Grim Reaper (Simon Williams aka Wonder Man’s brother) would also finally possibly give a tie in reason for Wonder Man’s brain patterns being used to create/fix Vision, since the MCU changed Vision’s origin.

The helmet is probably just an Easter egg, but you would think they would Easter egg Wonder Man in some way, rather than his brother. They both have strong ties to Wanda and Vision, just seems like an extra jump to make.

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 13, 2021

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Taear posted:

So here's my thought.

Jake Gyllenhall wasn't actually from another dimension, he was just pretending to be to fool fake SLJ and fake Hill

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BrianWilly posted:

This episode did make a point of showing that 1. Wanda cannot control the effect as well the further away from her people are, and 2. she can choose to attempt to expand the Hex. If mutants is where this is heading, I assume it'll have to do with those things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bleck posted:

This episode did make a point of showing that 1. Wanda cannot control the effect as well the further away from her people are, and 2. she can choose to attempt to expand the Hex. If mutants is where this is heading, I assume it'll have to do with those things.

That makes stuff like Wolverine as previously noted, and Magneto and Xavier real dicey propositions when the Gordian Knot answer is to introduce them the normal way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
True, let me rephrase: if this is how mutants happen, it won't be because, like, some Americans went in and out of the Hex a few times here. Instead, it would have to be something unforeseen and much bigger in scale, not only in terms of space, but also somehow reaching back through time to make it so that there were always mutants throughout world history and that's just how it is thanks to crazy Hex magic.

It's not impossible, but it won't be like what's happening with Monica here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bleck posted:

I don't think it really says the first part, because that has some weird implications if you think about it. During the episode the two kids go to leave and Wanda tells them not to go past Ellis Street. Which we see later is where Vision is finding all the frozen people, and so must be a sufficient distance from Wanda to qualify if your scenario is true. If Wanda cannot control the effect all that well at a distance though, then her kids would just wander around a garden of frozen statues any time they leave Wanda's side. Which I doubt is going to happen. I think it's more she's choosing not to micromanage those people to save herself effort, not that she can't micromanage them. Which seems especially true considering how she grumbled last episode that no-one could control every minor thing everyone was doing in the town in a really tired manner that implied she was frustrated with doing just that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 13, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm not totally sold on it being mutants, but I think there's an easy way to do it:

--The X-Gene has always existed. Wolverine, Prof. X, Magneto, Apocalypse, they all exist in a normal timeframe, but there's always been a very small amount of them.

--Wanda does something that effects the entire world with the same energy we saw in Westview that awakens the X-Gene in a lot of people. Suddenly you have Professor X and Magneto who were just intellectual fancy boys discussing the possible implications of homo-superior genes being faced with thousands of scared teenagers who can now blow stuff up with their brains or walk through walls.

I think regardless the MCU kind of has to thread that needle because mutants haven't been a thing for the thirteen years or the greater eighty years that their movies mostly cover. I think some mutants being a secret thing, but there being an event that makes them blow up could be cool.

At the very least, I think they're setting up that people are not in a headspace for mutants.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just caught up on the thread and there's like, one 90s sitcom that could have used that no one mentioned.

Some kind of riff on Sabrina the Teenage Witch would have been interesting.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm not totally sold on it being mutants, but I think there's an easy way to do it:

--The X-Gene has always existed. Wolverine, Prof. X, Magneto, Apocalypse, they all exist in a normal timeframe, but there's always been a very small amount of them.

--Wanda does something that effects the entire world with the same energy we saw in Westview that awakens the X-Gene in a lot of people. Suddenly you have Professor X and Magneto who were just intellectual fancy boys discussing the possible implications of homo-superior genes being faced with thousands of scared teenagers who can now blow stuff up with their brains or walk through walls.

I think regardless the MCU kind of has to thread that needle because mutants haven't been a thing for the thirteen years or the greater eighty years that their movies mostly cover. I think some mutants being a secret thing, but there being an event that makes them blow up could be cool.

At the very least, I think they're setting up that people are not in a headspace for mutants.

What if this is how they introduce the inhumans and not the mutants. They have two confirmed shows (Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl and the Devil Dinosaur) coming with inhumans in them. Have the reality bubble act as the Terrigen explosion that activates the inhuman gene in people around the world.

Though that would cheapen mutants and inhumans. It does kind of kill the long past both of them have (mutant gene always being here, and the thousands of years of Kree experiments on humans).

badjohny fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 13, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Ah poo poo. Ya know people were talking about Hayward being a Skrull, but his subtle disdain of Captain Marvel makes me think maybe he's a Kree.

I don't even know with mutants and inhumans co-existing though. Seems a little bloated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is basically what I have been thinking, Xavier, Magneto and Fury have an understanding that mutants would be kept under wraps because they know that if mutants became common knowlage people would freak the poo poo out. Plus there's only been a handful in history, so its easy to keep them hidden. Maybe just like Wolverine + classic X-men. Having Fury being part of it would make it easier to believe that they were kept quiet because having Fury involved with anything you can easily go "Oh yea that makes sense".

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I have a greater appreciation for Vision now that he’s getting some extension on his movie appearances. The Jarvis part of him that lives to serve and the Thor part of him that appreciates humanity is coming together in a really cool way

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gavok posted:

Quicksilver was Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Now he's Evan Peters not Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Been a long time gone since Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Now on Disney+, which will have Moon Knight

Every twin of Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Lives with Evan Peters, not Aaron Taylor-Johnson
So if you throw a hex at Aaron Taylor-Johnson
You'll be knocking back Evan Peters

Even Ruffalo was once the Fight Club guy
Why recast him? I can't say
Spinoffs are much more better that way!

I just wanted you to know I see and appreciate this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Timeless Appeal posted:

--The X-Gene has always existed.

This reminds me, it's a gigantic stretch on my part but I got a good giggle when Pietro told Wanda she could rely on him to be the male chaperone for the kids because "I've got the XY gene!"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm surprised with how much I've been enjoying Wandavision. The storytelling largely feels fresh and unique, reminds me of watching Legion season 1.

*Also, seeing what's possible in TV production when you have "gently caress You" money at your disposal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So yeah, the commercial this episode kind of sealed it for me. Especially with how we see the residents in the outskirts all just blank and in some cases crying. But either Wanda is leeching off of magic provided by someone - which is also a reason for the accelerated movement through time like we saw in the commercial - or that being is leeching off of the residents while providing her a power boost. Maybe both. I think the expansion of the hex is also gonna be what gets Dr. Strange's attention, even though I think him showing up will be after Monica, Jimmy and her contact get inside and help Vision talk Wanda down.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

I have a greater appreciation for Vision now that he’s getting some extension on his movie appearances. The Jarvis part of him that lives to serve and the Thor part of him that appreciates humanity is coming together in a really cool way

I am kinda hoping he comes out of this alive since I don't think we really got much out of him in the movies- his and Wanda's relationship wasn't even developed that much when he died. Of course I don't know what plans they have or whether Paul Bettany wants to keep playing the part, etc. (He's doing an amazing job though.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how they actually had Billy and Tommy playing actual DDR, as that was Butterfly, one of the better known songs from the first releases. Though its no Captain Jack

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they actually had Billy and Tommy playing actual DDR, as that was Butterfly, one of the better known songs from the first releases. Though its no Captain Jack

This got the biggest Leo-pointing-at-the-TV moment from me as well.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

eke out posted:

i figured it's just a minor Warren Ellis nod

Not likely after the recent revelations about him, and he's not really associated with these characters (unless you count Monica in NextWave).

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, that's my feeling too. When they do get around to making an X-Men movie my bet is it will be the classic kid shows up as a new student at the Xavier School story and I don't think that works if mutants have just poofed into existence.

And hand to god I though MitM debuted in the late 90's.

I don't think that's a requirement at all. Spider-Man pretty much just poofed into existence and it's fine because everyone knows who he is. The next most well known Marvel characters are probably the X-Men.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mochiballs posted:

I just realized the reference to Shangri-la probably means Wanda went to Kamar-Taj....which to me still suggests she's doing this alone but without full control. Maybe she got into the library?

Doesn't Marvel have like 80 separate mystical hidden kung fu realms scattered throughout the Himalayas?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sure okay posted:

This got the biggest Leo-pointing-at-the-TV moment from me as well.

Both those songs are on my 90s spotify playlist.

My theory about Agnes, and no spoilers because its almost all from the previous episodes, but Agnes is the Controller. She is there to keep Wanda on track, to make sure she's doing what whomever is behind all this wants her to do. It wouldn't be possible to just straight up control Wanda because she's to powerful to be straight up controlled, but can be manipulated. Agnes is aware of whats going on and is aware of her role, and that is why she's been breaking character, always seems to be where she needs to be and to say what needs to be said.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think Agnes is just a red herring, personally. I've felt that all along, since she seemed nervous or confused a lot of the time but the fact that she was just sitting there for an unknown period of time, frozen in place during this episode basically sealed it for me, along with the fact Herb had a much more explicit moment of breaking the show's reality himself and making it something not just confined to Agnes. The mailman seems like he's been doing it too, honestly. It means that not only can Agnes be controlled or fritzed just like anyone else, but that anyone else can break the sitcom reality and not just Agnes. So there's nothing special about her, beyond the fact the show chooses to focus on her. Which makes her seem like a red herring. Nevermind that even now, 6 episodes in, she hasn't done anything significant, revealed any kind of agenda etc; just built up her mystique in a generalized sense.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think that's a requirement at all. Spider-Man pretty much just poofed into existence and it's fine because everyone knows who he is. The next most well known Marvel characters are probably the X-Men.

Well yeah, I don't think Marvel has to come up with some elaborate justification (say Wanda poofing them into existence) for why mutants show up the MCU.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really hope there's no hidden big bad guy and it's all Wanda. This show doesn't need an outright villain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Well yeah, I don't think Marvel has to come up with some elaborate justification (say Wanda poofing them into existence) for why mutants show up the MCU.

Yeah, just use that one big mansion in Canada they use for the Xavier school exteriors and everyone will go "oh, yeah, the X-Men".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Necrothatcher posted:

I really hope there's no hidden big bad guy and it's all Wanda. This show doesn't need an outright villain.

I think you're hopes are pretty small, because the show has repeatedly questioned how Wanda's powers changed and suddenly became capable of so much grander feats, while having Wanda say that she has no idea how this all started. The fact Wanda isn't solely responsible isn't the same as her having no responsibility though. Nor is it incompatible with the idea the show is about her dealing with grief. Her making a faustian bargain for power only adds to it in some ways. I don't know why you think it has to be all her responsibility for it to have weight, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if that's your view.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tsob posted:

I think you're hopes are pretty small, because the show has repeatedly questioned how Wanda's powers changed and suddenly became capable of so much grander feats, while having Wanda say that she has no idea how this all started. The fact Wanda isn't solely responsible isn't the same as her having no responsibility though. Nor is it incompatible with the idea the show is about her dealing with grief. Her making a faustian bargain for power only adds to it in some ways. I don't know why you think it has to be all her responsibility for it to have weight, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if that's your view.

Yea that's my thought to. Maybe Wanda is lying about not knowing how it started but I doubt it. She seems to be as lost as anyone else how it started, just that she knows she has to maintain it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

This is basically what I have been thinking, Xavier, Magneto and Fury have an understanding that mutants would be kept under wraps because they know that if mutants became common knowlage people would freak the poo poo out. Plus there's only been a handful in history, so its easy to keep them hidden. Maybe just like Wolverine + classic X-men. Having Fury being part of it would make it easier to believe that they were kept quiet because having Fury involved with anything you can easily go "Oh yea that makes sense".

I like this idea. And also the idea that Wanda accidentally activates the X-gen in a bunch of people around the world.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Not likely after the recent revelations about him, and he's not really associated with these characters (unless you count Monica in NextWave).

it serves me right for not googling whether some old white guy in comics is a sex pest, i should've known better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I can't imagine this being the reason mutants come to MCU. That would initially limit the amount of mutants as coming from Westfield and they would have to do annoying wrangling to explain mutants potentially coming from somewhere else in the future.

Edit: or maybe they destroy the Hex and it sets off a shockwave that alters a certain percentage of people's DNA throughout the planet.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 13, 2021