Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nexus is fine, but it can be a bit of an exhausting game since it goes on for too long without really mixing too much up. And some parts just kind of drag on and on and on. Which can be pretty noticeable because the first few dungeons play around with the Etrian Odyssey formula in interesting ways, but then the rest is just kind of bog standard EO, leaving you a bit wanting.

There are some other issues like the quest unlock pacing is really off compared to the 3DS era EO games to the point where it seems like DS era quest design seeped into this game. Quite a few quests unlock later than they should, which can really lead to some annoyances when it turned out you sold all the drops you needed before the quest even unlocked. Or just outright backtracking through a floor you explored thoroughly. Western Shrine is really bad about that there.

Also does not help that Atlus shrunk the dev team for Nexus big time for what was one of the biggest games in this series so it was basically sent out to die. (Literally one programmer was working on this game. One.) Frankly it's kind of amazing the game even turned out as good as it did.

The class roster can be pretty fun to play around with though. Use whatever you'd like. No real duds, anything can work, though Puglist got hit pretty hard compared to its performance in 5 and is basically a support now. And Zodiac is more of a support class than an offensive class.

Of the 3DS era EOs it ranks lower on the list for me (though overall I still consider it a better experience than DS era EO), but it should be a fine experience if you decide pick it up.

One other thing to note, the Heroic difficulty is the exact same as Expert difficulty, but it does make unlocking the Vampire accessory a bit easier. However it is opt out. Once you opt out of it, you can't go back in. The actually awfully handled part is the Picnic lock they introduced. While you can switch between Expert and Basic freely, once you decide to lower the difficulty down to Picnic, it stays locked to Picnic. If you wanted to make grinding easier or just say "gently caress it" to one troublesome or annoying part of the game, you'll have to settle for Basic if you're not doing a Heroic run.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
My one complaint about EON's class roster is that it's kinda heavy on physical frontliners. This is especially a problem if you use a Hero, because they want to hog two of those frontline slots for themselves. (On the bright side, you have a ton of viable options for healers and they all work differently.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have my problems with the game, but the music loving slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzRF_zMkE4

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Crosspeice posted:

I have my problems with the game, but the music loving slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzRF_zMkE4

That's true of every EO though.
Just to add to what people are saying, the first 2-3 dungeons have some neat ideas to shake things up for players familiar with the previous games, but after that it feels like a lot of rote repetition of the more same-y and less interesting dungeons in the series. It's like they ran out of time to come up with and implement more interesting ideas. Also the only fully new dungeon recycles the same gimmicks, graphics tileset, and music (a rejected track from EO1) for about 16 floors.
The mix of classes and the Hero class is also pretty neat, but unlike some of the other games there's less easy shortcuts to leveling up new characters so you'll likely be stuck with the same party as the beginning of the game for what is something like 3 hours longer than a normal EO. There's sub classing in the style of EO4 but it doesn't unlock until fairly late in the very long game.
I personally was really hyped for it pre-release but got burned out on it maybe 2/3 of the way in and never finished it. It has good points but it's a bit hard to recommend overall.
If you're a fan of EO3 it's some neat fanservice to see basically the first whole third of the game recreated in 3D with orchestral music in the style of Untold 1 and 2.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I guess we're going to have to wait until SMTV drops to see if Atlus ever intends to commit resources to that supposed Switch EO

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
it's poor life decision o'clock

time to do that 5 medic run of eou2

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

theshim posted:

it's poor life decision o'clock

time to do that 5 medic run of eou2

My old 5 Medic run of EO2U was considerably easier than most of the actual runs I did of the game. It's rough until you get levels in Overheal, but gets comically easy after that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah 5 Medics in 2U doesn't seem all that rough. You just have so much defense you can just turtle through fights, and the Medic's offenses aren't exactly terrible in 2U so fights shouldn't take too long.

Tore through a bunch of 7th Dragon DS data (which is the 7th Dragon game that's actually the most like EO while the rest are basically their own thing really.) Now the entire series are an open library.

Enemy data for this game. The files in DS are formatted far more differently than in the later 7th Dragon games or any of the EO games. (Frankly it's a giant mess internally.)

Conditional drops exist in this game, but they don't work like they do in the EO series. Instead they track actions dealt to the enemy, not how you kill them.

Also skill data, straight from the game files. Unfortunately this only has the numbers from the internal files, which are also a giant mess as there's like several data sheets for all the skills. Where the later games only have 2 files for the skills, one for a primary effect, and another for all the secondary effects tied to a skill. And doesn't really talk about mechanics, but I'm sure a Google search can help with that if you want to know what a skill does. Unfortunately this doesn't include some of the hardcoded effects Ready to Run is hard coded as doubling the escape rate, but the actual skill data merely sets a flag for the game to read instead of having a 2x multiplier baked into the skill data) as those aren't included in the skill files obviously.

The "????"s aren't me not knowing what name the skill has. It's just what the game displays if you try to use a skill with no assigned name.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This thread resurfacing made me look into Etrian stuff again and I found out about this fangame:

It's called Yurudora Labyrinth / ゆるドラの迷宮 , there's no proper english translation, but there's a patched version in the EO subreddit discord with translated skill names/descriptions and machine-translated everything else, which is better than nothing.

It's pretty much just a clone game, but so far it feels like it scratches the same itch. The classes' abilities are mostly copied and pasted from EO but some of them have a few interesting mechanics to call their own.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 2, 2021

theshim
May 1, 2012

needed 16 to beat Chimaera, heck

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally getting back into this series after getting to the fifth stratum of EO1 and getting distracted, then doing the same thing with 3

Excited to find out how owned I will be in EO4 since I’ve chosen a team with no ailments or binds

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

DoubleDonut posted:

Finally getting back into this series after getting to the fifth stratum of EO1 and getting distracted, then doing the same thing with 3

Excited to find out how owned I will be in EO4 since I’ve chosen a team with no ailments or binds

You'll be fine, EO4's got some rough difficulty spikes at times (mostly when you first reach new mazes), but it's very doable with a no-disable team.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Disables are just one way to go about things. You don’t really need them to beat any game in the series. 4 is especially generous in how much you can get away with a given team comp if you know what you’re doing.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Yeah, you essentially need head binds for one of the bonus bosses but for the base game it's fine.

theshim
May 1, 2012

EO4 is very comfortable with letting the player run whatever they want and I love it for that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

scylla still sucks btw

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Fond memories of writing down untold scylla’s attack pattern in apple notes on a bus so I knew which defensive skills to use when

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
4 is really the best game in the series, I think; have fun.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Famitsu interviewed Hiraoka in their latest issue, got a little tidbit of news:

“Naoto Hiraoka” posted:

We hope to be able to share more news on Etrian Odyssey to everyone as soon as possible.

Was happy to see even a vague “we’re working on something, promise” statement. Some other interesting non-EO news in there too.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I imagine that given that the EO team is really just a few creative heads plus whatever engineers/artists don't have anything better to do at Atlus, the rash of high-profile stuff they've had lately—SMT5 being the most recent one—has made it difficult for Komori et. al. to organize a team for SQ Next. Hopefully once SMT5 releases, they'll be able to get some people on board. It's been almost 3 years since that first trailer...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Took a solid dozen tries to beat Scylla, uggghhhh.

What it came down to, more than anything else, was accuracy, of all things. Several runs Scylla killed me with a sliver of health because I ended up missing 6 or 7 Vital Hits over the course of the fight. I'm almost curious to know what the actual hitrate was to find out if I was getting unlucky or if that's just the way it is with Medics. Also needed a bunch of RNG to go my way (needed Scylla to not double tap a character with Piercing Shell, needed there to not be high rolls on both a tentacle attack and Ice Shave on the same turn, needed to not get bullshit hit by Cry Soul :argh: ).

Not too worried about the next couple bosses but the Overlord might be pretty ugly again. The party really suffers from a total absence of AoE in big fights with multiple targets like Overlord and Scylla. Also will need to spend some time fishing for level 10 Vital Hit and Overheal grimoires (and probably Salve as well).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

theshim posted:

What it came down to, more than anything else, was accuracy, of all things. Several runs Scylla killed me with a sliver of health because I ended up missing 6 or 7 Vital Hits over the course of the fight. I'm almost curious to know what the actual hitrate was to find out if I was getting unlucky or if that's just the way it is with Medics. Also needed a bunch of RNG to go my way (needed Scylla to not double tap a character with Piercing Shell, needed there to not be high rolls on both a tentacle attack and Ice Shave on the same turn, needed to not get bullshit hit by Cry Soul :argh: ).

Yeah, accuracy's just a giant problem with Scylla, both due to the innate inaccuracy of staves, and the fact that Medic's AGI/LUC are low. Also yeah, again, low AGI/LUC can bite you in the rear end with bullshit Cry Soul hits. I recall that she's the worst of it, though, and things get easier from here.

To be fair, "Scylla's the worst of it, things get easier from here" can be said of every party in EO2U. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

What it came down to, more than anything else, was accuracy, of all things. Several runs Scylla killed me with a sliver of health because I ended up missing 6 or 7 Vital Hits over the course of the fight. I'm almost curious to know what the actual hitrate was to find out if I was getting unlucky or if that's just the way it is with Medics.

Assuming you were around level 40, you had an 81.48% chance of hitting her with Vital Hit. Of course if you were even lower than that, 72.75%. Which really tanks your average DPS considering that run will want all the damage they want. Medic's AGI and LUC stats are super low, so missing is unfortunately going to be the standard for them.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
hi, the escape rate in EO4 is a war crime and these turtles gamera-ing over the ice are gonna drive me to an early grave

fun game though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

DoubleDonut posted:

hi, the escape rate in EO4 is a war crime and these turtles gamera-ing over the ice are gonna drive me to an early grave

fun game though

Going from 3 to 4 and realizing they nerfed the strategy of Hitting The Bricks was such a moment of dismay.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

fun game though

If you ever get around to doing the later games, stopping every single enemy from acting entirely through the use of ailments will guarantee a successful escape. (Also outside of EOU, the base escape rates are much higher.)

4 though? Yeah you're poo poo out of luck on that front and it's needlessly annoying.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Araxxor posted:

If you ever get around to doing the later games, stopping every single enemy from acting entirely through the use of ailments will guarantee a successful escape. (Also outside of EOU, the base escape rates are much higher.)

4 though? Yeah you're poo poo out of luck on that front and it's needlessly annoying.

I'm sure I'll play them soon enough; this time instead of planning to do the postgame immediately I'm just gonna do the main game, then go play the Untolds' and maybe 5's endgame, then later come back and maybe do NG+ to mess around with the other classes before the postgame

(Also I literally found a post from you on gamefaqs while trying to find out just how bad the escape formula was)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm sure I'll play them soon enough; this time instead of planning to do the postgame immediately I'm just gonna do the main game, then go play the Untolds' and maybe 5's endgame, then later come back and maybe do NG+ to mess around with the other classes before the postgame

(Also I literally found a post from you on gamefaqs while trying to find out just how bad the escape formula was)

Oh uh, if you're reading the forums, that one's outdated. The actual escape formula is much worse. And in the guide, but to save you from having to look that up (if you weren't referring to that one arleady):

quote:

First, the game checks if it's possible to escape from the battle, and if the party member attempting to escape does not have their legs bound. If it's possible to escape, the game makes a few more checks. Otherwise, the game will prevent the escape attempt from succeeding.

Enemies will always succeed in their escape attempts, though in some cases, that can be prevented with leg binds.

If the battle started out with a preemptive strike, 100% chance to escape on the first turn.

If Full Retreat is cast, 99% chance to escape.

Otherwise, the game uses this formula to determine escape chance.

A = The greatest value between the escaper's AGI, LUC, and level.

B = The average level of all the enemies currently in the fight.

C = A - B

If C is less than 0, D = 0.
If C > 0 and <= 5, D = 5.
If C > 5, D = 20.
T = Turn Count. Maximum value for this is 5.

R = A random value between T and T * 2 is rolled for. That value is then multiplied by T.

E = 6 * AllyDeaths. Maximum value for this is 60.

EscapeRate = D + R + E.

If EscapeRate is greater than 90, then it is capped at 90.

Translation: You essentially start out with a 6% to 7% escape rate on average! If you're mildly underleveled (which will happen a lot when you enter a new stratum/floor), 1% to 2%!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Araxxor posted:

Oh uh, if you're reading the forums, that one's outdated. The actual escape formula is much worse. And in the guide, but to save you from having to look that up (if you weren't referring to that one arleady):

Translation: You essentially start out with a 6% to 7% escape rate on average! If you're woefully underleveled, 1% to 2%!

even better!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Wait, Full Retreat can fail?! I would be loving livid if that happened to me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Double Plus Undead posted:

Yeah, you essentially need head binds for one of the bonus bosses but for the base game it's fine.

Oh yeah, one of the post-game bosses is flat out "bring head binds or die." But aside from that, you should be fine.

Even then, if you lack head binds, you aren't screwed, as the fight has an alternate method of inflicting them even if your party lacks them. However your party's offenses will have to be pretty big to take it down quickly.

Zurai posted:

Wait, Full Retreat can fail?! I would be loving livid if that happened to me.

Yep. I was unsure if that number was instead you know, an X out of 99 roll instead of X out of 100. But as it turns out, I got confirmation back then that yes, it really is a 1% chance to go gently caress you, this doesn't work. :shepface:

Vaguely related to Etrian Odyssey, but that one Touhou EO fangame (only it uses a board game perspective instead of first person) is apparently getting an HD rerelease on Steam on the 23rd. Doesn't look like it comes with an English translation though.

(EO Switch news when, Atlus?)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is armor any good in EOU or is it like 3 and 4 where your armor’s defense barely does anything?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

DoubleDonut posted:

Is armor any good in EOU or is it like 3 and 4 where your armor’s defense barely does anything?

It's even worse, somehow. It does less for physical damage than it did previously and they somehow made it have close to zero effect on elemental damage. HP is the best defensive stat in both Untolds, and thankfully EOU has a lot of equipment with HP on it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

It's utter poo poo. In 3 and 4, even if armor was bad, you still wanted to upgrade it every now and then. In U, it was not worth it unless the armor came with a really good secondary bonus (it was like wands in that you were only looking for good secondary increases since the attack stat did nothing meaningful.)

quote:

For some reason, EOU saw fit to nerf armor even further, making it about as 1/4th as effective against STR based attacks instead of 1/3rd. And against TEC based attacks? 2/7ths. Not only that, enemy base hits got a massive boost which is why everything in that game hits like a goddamn truck. Enemies hit harder on average and armor is nearly a completely worthless mechanic due to the nerfs. If you wanted defense, HP increases were far far better for survivability than most defensive boosts could ever be, and if you couldn't get those, VIT boosts. Armor was only worth buying if it had a good secondary benefit or came with an HP boost as DEF is nearly worthless in EOU.

2U shared the same formulae as U, so the same kind of applied there, though HP boosts got nerfed across the board. Course if you were the Beast, you actually wanted every last bit of DEF as possible due to how they operated.

And that's assuming you're on the highest difficulty. If you're on lower difficulties, armor becomes more awful, because the damage nerfs to enemies are more effective than the tiny bit of damage armor reduces. Armor in U is essentially trying to stop an avalanche of boulders with wooden planks.

And yeah, armor being bad made Sovereigns in 2U not a front line class despite being able to equip heavy armor. The armor paled in comparison to their terrible VIT, so they got pasted if you put them on the front, which seems very counterintuitive considering what they can equip (and their performance in 3), but ask every poor person in this thread who learned that lesson the hard way about the puddle of blood in front that used to be their Sovereign.

5 and Nexus would finally change this and make armor unquestionably worth a drat again.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, at least I'll know not to waste my money on armor. Thanks!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1430656622167269381

Well that explains several things. That's a pretty big jump in position.

Looks like we'll have wait longer for more EO.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Araxxor posted:

cannot loving wait to fail negotiating with a dinogator

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Araxxor posted:

So did previous SMT games have FOEs? Because I have a feeling SMTV is going to have FOEs.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

So did previous SMT games have FOEs? Because I have a feeling SMTV is going to have FOEs.

No but SMTV does look to have them in a way. In that you can see demons walking around on the field, and some of them are really big and imposing looking and much higher level than your party is meant to handle at that point. The Nintendo Treehouse people decided to fight one of them which was certainly really boring to watch and a good use of their limited time. But the enemies in SMTV seem to despawn if they walk too far away, so I doubt we will be seeing enemies used as puzzle-like obstacles like FOEs usually are. Who knows though.
I hope the EO director running things means that we get some decent dungeons which SMT4 was lacking in.
Unless someone else is directing the next EO, I guess this contradicts the 30th anniversary interviews where they said look forward to EO news soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tokyo Mirage Sessions had the Savage enemies which were basically kind of like FOEs. So they could end up putting something like that in SMT, perhaps.

EO4 was directed by Daisuke Kaneda while Komori was directing EOU, so they could just put someone else there again to help out if they wanted to ship out an EO game soon.