Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It will probably be fine OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

carry on then posted:

It will probably be fine OP

An optimist, In yospos ? It's more likely than you think

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can someone give me a tl;dr about why k8s is bad, or maybe what kind of use case its good for, and how developers ruin it?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Can someone give me a tl;dr about why k8s is bad, or maybe what kind of use case its good for, and how developers ruin it?

k8s was not built for your cloud provider, and your cloud provider was not built for k8s (save maybe gcp, but even then). you will inevitably run up against weird edge cases and poorly built "drivers" for things like networking and storage that have subtle limitations and edge cases that are incongrous with what k8s expects.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
gke or fargate are pretty ok.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

honestly the biggest mysterious k8s fuckups we've had had to deal with are around certificate revocations and updates for mtls and so forth rather than networking

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

FamDav posted:

k8s was not built for your cloud provider, and your cloud provider was not built for k8s (save maybe gcp, but even then). you will inevitably run up against weird edge cases and poorly built "drivers" for things like networking and storage that have subtle limitations and edge cases that are incongrous with what k8s expects.

iawtp, and expanding on it: k8s in practice is about halfway between a spec and a working implementation of the spec that meets your company’s needs. the cool thing about k8s is that it’s flexible enough you can probably find the right tinkertoy bits to get something that does exactly what you want. but that means you’re going to end up with a combination of tinkertoy bits that is unique, or only shared by a few other users. every k8s user is on k8s, but how many are using traefik for an ingress controller, with flannel, on kops/AWS. are you still on kube-dns or did you migrate to coredns. fluentd, or fluent bit, or filebeat, or something else?

it’s inevitable while bringing up a k8s cluster to production ready status that you’re going to run into novel problems, and you’re going to run into more novel problems if and when you start scaling

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
google made it

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
https://twitter.com/SeinfeldOps/status/1350976533171757056

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

it is written in go

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s basically the devops equivalent of a gamer pc with water cooling and rgb lighting, op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i set up rancher (pre k8s version) ages ago for running a few internal tools that have wild plang dependencies and it's been rock solid. is their k8s version any good?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s basically the devops equivalent of a gamer pc with water cooling and rgb lighting, op

water cooling is functional and rgb lighting appeals to a certain demographic. k8s is neither functional nor appealing to anyone

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

k8s is pretty decent if you design your app to run on it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

kitten emergency posted:

and so, everyone proceeded to take their existing applications, which were not designed with kubernetes in mind, tacked on strange hacks and middleware, and made them run in kubernetes despite the applications' many protestations

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

one nice thing about php apps is they're stateless by nature so nicely suited to scale-out and containerization

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

i set up rancher (pre k8s version) ages ago for running a few internal tools that have wild plang dependencies and it's been rock solid. is their k8s version any good?

it’s not managed k8s so it sucks. use eks

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i’ll also try and make an effort post from the perspective of providing managed k8s

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the raison d'etre for kubernetes is ostensibly getting economies of scale for your ops and release teams. if you're trying to solve those two specific problems, then it's not bad. if you don't have either of those problems I don't know why you would use it

whicvh is also why you should be suspicious of devs who are pushing it, the kubernetes is not *for* them.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

the raison d'etre for kubernetes is ostensibly getting economies of scale for your ops and release teams. if you're trying to solve those two specific problems, then it's not bad. if you don't have either of those problems I don't know why you would use it

whicvh is also why you should be suspicious of devs who are pushing it, the kubernetes is not *for* them.

is k8s better for this than other container orchestrators, though? I’m thinking of nomad, specifically, because that’s what I’ve had exposure to. it seemed simpler to set up and operate

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

nomad is indeed simple and nice and id prefer to use it if i had the choice

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

is k8s better for this than other container orchestrators, though? I’m thinking of nomad, specifically, because that’s what I’ve had exposure to. it seemed simpler to set up and operate

no clue, I only have experience with k8s, but it’s the one that “won” so it’s going to be here for a while

also, at least in terms of its logical model, it’s not very difficult to understand. you have workload units (pods) and then a bunch of abstractions to create and manage them in different ways. there’s incidental complexity mostly in implementing networking and storage and everything that’s involved in initially standing a cluster up, but if you can make those things Someone Else’s Problem then it’s not too bad imo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

and so, everyone proceeded to take their existing applications, which were not designed with kubernetes in mind, tacked on strange hacks and middleware, and made them run in kubernetes despite the applications' many protestations

well those people are dumb

animist
Aug 28, 2018

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the more pieces of software with names like "Splort" and "⚡gesundheit" in your stack, the better off you are

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05
Some SREs want to start using terraform to deploy to kubernetes. Their intention is to replace kustomize so I don’t fault them, but it still doesn’t seem like a good idea. Anyone gone down that path before?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cerberus911 posted:

Some SREs want to start using terraform to deploy to kubernetes. Their intention is to replace kustomize so I don’t fault them, but it still doesn’t seem like a good idea. Anyone gone down that path before?

we’re using the kustomize provider with terraform. the kubernetes provider is kinda lovely, and helm is lovely so I can’t see how adding terraform to helm would help anything. we did fork the kustomize provider to allow creating an overlay in terraform code rather than needing one on the filesystem—I think that’s the missing piece to make terraform with k8s not suck. if that sounds interesting, DM me and I’ll link you to the repo. we do occasionally use the k8s provider, but only for cases that kustomize can’t handle. creating resource names dynamically, for instance

I say the kubernetes provider is kinda lovely for mainly two reasons. first, fields that you don’t fill in on a resource don’t get the k8s default, they get zeroed. that means naively translating manifests from helm or kustomize to the k8s provider won’t work—stuff may apply, but it won’t do what you expect, or what it does for everyone else. second, you have to translate every manifest you find from yaml to .tf, which adds significant drag

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cerberus911 posted:

sounds like its going to be their problem

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
ive started telling folks that koobernetis is a good solution if you require a massive distributed ad serving infrastructure platform that mostly works.

it basically guarantees you will have some requests fail, which can be good or bad for you and your developers.

its good in the sense that your developers must design error handling and retry into whatever the hell is calling into koobernetis: the js in the browser or java applet or whatever. the devs should have been doing this all along and itll kinda force them to at least think about it before they declare its too hard and just make the end user hitting the page reload button be their planned error recovery solution.

its bad because see prev statement. your devs arent that good anyway don’t worry about it the end user will be the retry logic.

oh, you wanted to run something that doesnt speak http/https ???

oh, its stateful? oh its stateful aaaand it has transactions that span out to other service providers that are really really painful and expensive to unwind if our transaction fails??

yeah maybe dont run that in koob.

oh sure you caaaan run that in koob i guess, if your devs are really really good. ( they are not that good )

is it just me, or does it seem like all the silver bullet hotness for infrastructure over the last ~15 years has been built around solving one specific problem for one of the cloud providers and they all do it by punting all of the other harder problems higher up the stack to make it the app devs problem?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
yeah. I use terraform to deploy my kubernetes clusters but even there it kinda sucks.

as for deploying things into K8s, terraforms ideas about state don’t mesh well with k8s. tell them that Argocd is the sorta refactor tool of choice there.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

yeah. I use terraform to deploy my kubernetes clusters but even there it kinda sucks.

as for deploying things into K8s, terraforms ideas about state don’t mesh well with k8s. tell them that Argocd is the sorta refactor tool of choice there.

oh yeah i forgot to mention that we don't use terraform at all in our CI/CD process. that's all handled by separate tooling. terraform and the kustomize provider are for managing the cluster and infrastructure services: kube-proxy, coredns, traefik, datadog agent, fluent bit, etc

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

oh yeah i forgot to mention that we don't use terraform at all in our CI/CD process. that's all handled by separate tooling. terraform and the kustomize provider are for managing the cluster and infrastructure services: kube-proxy, coredns, traefik, datadog agent, fluent bit, etc

argocd and app of apps is the de facto choice imo, if using helm. if just kustomize then flux works I guess.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
like I can’t stress enough how bad terraform and K8s api play together.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

grafana does a deece job of hiding conveniences behind the paywall i feel like

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

gently caress kubernetes

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

does this make nomad the canonically good orchestrator or are they all bad

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

more like no users

kinda hard to believe that what’s exciting to everyone right now is basically just a process scheduler, but here we are

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as a young lad i was always a bit perplexed with old greybeards who refused to learn all the cooler modern stuff and went on about ye olde trash. but as i have opted to never learn the intricacies of web tech or container orchestration i now see that i am well on the path myself.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the whole k8s thing feels like everybody collectively gave up on building server applications that can be configured and reloaded and just agreed to install factories that could create dumb murderable micro computers by the thousand. i don't care for it in most cases

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I’ve seen several homegrown dynamic config schemes in my career and they all sucked in different ways. same for reloading. nginx does an ok job of it but almost nothing else does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

the whole k8s thing feels like everybody collectively gave up on building server applications that can be configured and reloaded and just agreed to install factories that could create dumb murderable micro computers by the thousand. i don't care for it in most cases

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't deal with code so my cynical assumption is that a lot of "scaling" is basically "if we can fully automate spinning up and tearing down server instances, it won't matter how often our shoddy code crashes!"