Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Chev posted:

The touch up work you'd need would be just the same as making them from scratch, as many a would-be RA2-in-Renegade modder has discovered.
Without agreeing or disagreeing on voxels vs 3d, I don't think RA2-in-Renegade is a fitting basis for comparison to use. You're referring to full-size vehicles in a fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm merely using it as the main community that looked into upscaling voxel models. However, the conclusion wasn't that it just wasn't good enough for full size FPS vehicles, just that it really isn't good for any kind of upscale. They're really, really rough, not particularly distant from the C&C/RA1 sprites in terms of details, and the spatial information doesn't make up for it at all. Just training a neural network to acknowledge that the gray things on the sides of this are wheels would be a technical challenge (and a simpler upscaler would just see them as boxes), let alone deducing the finer details that are just lost but would be necessary to at least meet the visual standard set by the first remaster collection. On the other hand give those two pictures to a human modeler and you'll get a good first iteration in like two hours.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 14, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Unboxing two of the physical editions, which have begun to be shipped to customers, check your emails for tracking codes if you bought one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hIn5UyMqs

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

drunkill posted:

Unboxing two of the physical editions, which have begun to be shipped to customers, check your emails for tracking codes if you bought one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hIn5UyMqs

that guy never played cnc in his life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I meant using the machine learning stuff on the cutscenes, not the voxels. The latter seems like it’d be a feat.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

that guy never played cnc in his life.
That video. :psyduck:

at 5:58 posted:

...the Obelisk of Light, used by The Nod. So, that was a -I believe an anti-aircraft weapon and uhhh...
He clearly has fond memories of times he really played C&C.

at 7:01 posted:

It's one of those games where I think most people feel the original was near perfection when it comes to the actual gameplay
Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert are treasured but I don't think anyone feels this about their gameplay.

Now Red Alert 2 on the other hand...

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 15, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My collector's edition arrived today! Didn't expect it as the tracking info they sent me on 1st didn't work so I thought it hadn't shipped yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Renegade X: Firestorm got delayed into next year, unsurprisingly. Sound like they want to make it bigger than was planned, both literally and figuratively. Most maps are planned to be double the size of their Renegade X counterparts, and they're adding in a form of base-building.

Hopefully it doesn't fall victim to feature creep, but time will tell. Apparently, it actually started as a port of TS:Reborn, which is interesting knowing a little about the drama of that mod.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Red Alert 2 turned 20 today. For some reason that makes me feel more old than the original game's anniversary. Probably because I still actually play RA2?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Big Dev Video on Renegade X Firestorm and it's looking pretty drat cool, and quite a departure from its predecessor. Shame I don't much like Renegade's actual shooting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnX-OL6xpVc
I really like that Tick Tank redesign.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Red Alert 2 turned 20 today. For some reason that makes me feel more old than the original game's anniversary. Probably because I still actually play RA2?

Deus Ex turned 20 this year.

We've become electronic old men, [not] running the world...

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
My sickness spewed forth this horror:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mordja posted:

Big Dev Video on Renegade X Firestorm and it's looking pretty drat cool, and quite a departure from its predecessor. Shame I don't much like Renegade's actual shooting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnX-OL6xpVc
I really like that Tick Tank redesign.

The team's willing to take some liberties in what look like very good directions. If you like the series at all this is going to be worth a look.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chronojam posted:

The team's willing to take some liberties in what look like very good directions. If you like the series at all this is going to be worth a look.

Like I mentioned, my issues is that I don't much like the arcadey gunplay and would be happier with, say, Battlefield style shooting.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

YoursTruly posted:

It was really disappointing the first time I sniped the obelisk with a rush and just watched the gunboats sail impotently back and forth shooting at nothing until a rebuilt obelisk could take them out. It would have been a lot of fun if the gunboats could hit the con yard, power plants, or any of the other production buildings.

Of course! When I beat that mission I totally thought it was a bug the gunboats didn't fire, the only way it makes sense is if the gunboats are supposed to die like Nostalgamus said.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Check out the Red Alert Red mod Dust trailer if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFGnljDDC4s

Playing through the campaigns as the opposite faction. Missions are obviously going to be modified but it looks pretty cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Global Conflagration, an RTS I've been keeping an eye on that's obviously C&C-influenced is doing an open playtest imma check out. Very Generals with a few mechanics lifted from COH it seems.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/908770

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mordja posted:

Global Conflagration, an RTS I've been keeping an eye on that's obviously C&C-influenced is doing an open playtest imma check out. Very Generals with a few mechanics lifted from COH it seems.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/908770

Developer: Midwood

:discourse:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I did end up playing and it's definitely a solid base, but there's not a lot to it yet, for example both factions play exactly the same. Still, what's there is surprisingly polished and also I won against a guy so 10/10

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 12, 2021

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

https://phonemantra.com/command-conquer-remaster-developers-hinted-at-interest-in-the-updated-red-alert-2/ posted:

December 23, 2020
Studio Petroglyph Games on its official Facebook page has shown interest in a custom post with reflections on the possible modernization of Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

Recall that at the beginning of summer, Petroglyph Games, with the support of Electronic Arts, released the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection, which includes re-editions of the original Command & Conquer and the first part of Red Alert.

Thus, the potential modernization of Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 may well be (if not already) on the Petroglyph Games’ task list for the near future.

In the aforementioned publication, the user wonders what the fans are more interested in: a remaster (tweaked resolution and minor gameplay improvements) or a remake (graphics created from scratch and modernized gameplay) of Red Alert 2.

The author suggested voting for this or that option with the reactions “like” (remake) and “super” (remaster). The result was predictable: both in the noted Petroglyph Games, and in the original version of the publication, the remake wins.

The developers themselves did not take any one’s side but limited themselves to a meaningful comment ( “I love this …” ). However, this step should not be considered as an official confirmation of the studio’s intentions.

The original Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 was released in October 2000 on PC, but even before that the franchise managed to replenish the next main part – in 1999, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun was released.
"Modernized" gameplay? That better just mean re-balancing and UI work.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert 1, and Tiberian Sun needed the remake more. Red Alert 2 would be fine with just a remaster.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Since learning to force-fire disc throwers to throw at a choke point (and the discs roll way further), I forgot every other way to beat the campaign missions. They can't change that part.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hope they just stick to remastering. I feel like if they remade it they’d probably add a 3D camera and go too far in the “extra” and wacky direction like RA3.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I'm not interested in a remake but I definitely want a remaster in the same vein as the one this thread's about.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What about TS! :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Emperor remaster when?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

orcane posted:

Emperor remaster when?

Asking the real questions. :colbert:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lands of Lore 1-3 remastered, please.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nox 2!!!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

orcane posted:

Emperor remaster when?

IIRC that game exists in some kind of licensing hell which is why it has not been remade or rereleased at all. If there was ever a time to do it though, it would be now with the new movie out this year.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordja posted:

Nox 2!!!

I don’t have volume on, it is Nox 2 for real? I’ve had Nox in my Origin account forever and never played it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I don’t have volume on
It's a gif. lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
which engine/generation does emperor use, is it TS?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Spookydonut posted:

W3D, same engine as Renegade, which was later developed into SAGE.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

As a matter of fact, both Dune by Intelligent Games (Dune 2000, Emperor) run on the studio's own engines. Dune 2000 is only made to "mimick the look of C&C", while everything in Emperor is totally different from W3D/SAGE.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

What about TS! :argh:

:hmmyes: This guy gets it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Generals Evolution, a perpetually in-development mod for RA3 that converts it to the seminal C&C title has released its first, real beta. Notably, this mod is made by the guy who created the fantastic HL2 MMod so he's got a good track record.

Anyway, here's a couple gifs

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

Generals Evolution, a perpetually in-development mod for RA3 that converts it to the seminal C&C title has released its first, real beta. Notably, this mod is made by the guy who created the fantastic HL2 MMod so he's got a good track record.

Anyway, here's a couple gifs

Did he figure out how to modify the build and resource collection systems in RA3 to be more in line with Generals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sininu posted:

Did he figure out how to modify the build and resource collection systems in RA3 to be more in line with Generals?

No clue, I haven't actually played it yet. :v: My guess would be no because I think there's a lot hard-coded into RA3 that can't be changed and I think its resourcing might be one of them.