Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Besides Rise it's probably easier now even with the shorter hours. Especially if you go on a weekday.

Just looking right now most rides at MK are under 30 minutes (Space Mountain is only 10).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What the people in the past who accomplished the "ride every ride" challenge didn't tell you is that they were exploiting the disability pass. Up until a few years ago, you could make up some story at Guest Relations and get a pass that was basically an unlimited Fastpass. This became such common knowledge and so widely abused that it reached a point where 1/5th to 1/4th of all riders on any ride entered using one of the disability passes. Disney had enough, rightfully, and changed the pass so that if the line is more than 15 minutes, you are assigned a later time to return based on the current wait time, Since it's no longer a "golden Fastpass", abuse of it dropped significantly.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Aren’t some attractions straight up closed though? Dunno if they would be on the list.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My friend and I did the all open ride challenge at Disneyland in the late 90s. The ride count was pretty similar and it was pre fastpass but there were also slow days back then, which isn’t a thing anymore

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

What the people in the past who accomplished the "ride every ride" challenge didn't tell you is that they were exploiting the disability pass. Up until a few years ago, you could make up some story at Guest Relations and get a pass that was basically an unlimited Fastpass. This became such common knowledge and so widely abused that it reached a point where 1/5th to 1/4th of all riders on any ride entered using one of the disability passes. Disney had enough, rightfully, and changed the pass so that if the line is more than 15 minutes, you are assigned a later time to return based on the current wait time, Since it's no longer a "golden Fastpass", abuse of it dropped significantly.

I didn't use it at DLR and I actually have good reason to grab a disability pass. I just wanted to be nuts and see if I could manage it (we did, we were so tired).

It was really nice to have last time I went though.

Dren posted:

Aren’t some attractions straight up closed though? Dunno if they would be on the list.

It's whatever is open but you try to do it at a time where nothing is shuttered.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The challenge that popularized and tracked attempts to complete every ride wasn’t created until 2013, which is the same year that Disney changed their disability policy to be time based instead of instant front of the line access.

So there may be some who took advantage years ago, but it would be rare in the last 8 years and never part of the Parkeology challenge.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nottherealaborn posted:

The challenge that popularized and tracked attempts to complete every ride wasn’t created until 2013, which is the same year that Disney changed their disability policy to be time based instead of instant front of the line access.

So there may be some who took advantage years ago, but it would be rare in the last 8 years and never part of the Parkeology challenge.

Oh wow.... I didn't realize it's been that long. I still think of it as only a few years ago, probably because they were such a mess to deal with while working there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Alpenglow posted:

The only "in one day" thing I remember among millions of guest interactions was a family that showed up at Peter Pan's Flight for their assigned Fastpass time... at Disneyland. The original 1-row meager capacity operational nightmare at Disneyland does not have a Fastpass*.

The whole family had gotten passes that day in Florida, flown home to CA, and gone up the Peter Pan exit at the proper time (10:30pm-ish). Something about actually waiting for the time window sealed it as awesome instead of obnoxious and I let them right on, maybe signing one or taking their picture for their proof.

*if it somehow has a buy-up Fastpass now among peak :capitalism:, ugh. This was in the days when the park was half full of APs pulling passes for 9am return and getting to use them at their convenience (read: hundreds of latecomers overwhelming what should've been a small trickle of FPs after parades) because of spineless policy.

My cousin did the WDW college program in the early 90s. At some point he got CM (not sure if they were comp tickets or he bought them) park tickets for WDW that, like all tickets at the time, didn't expire. He never used them at the time.

Queue over a decade later he is in California and has one of these old tickets. He wants to go to Disneyland and decides to see if they will let him use the ticket instead of buying a new one.

He said it took a bit of discussion but eventually the admissions supervisor decided to let him into the park on this 10 year old ticket for the wrong resort.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Dren posted:

Go to Disney World the next time they close for a hurricane and you can complete the challenge without ever leaving your hotel room :dukedog:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The “all rides in a day” video I remember watching (2 middle age guys) included videos in line and they definitely weren’t using a disability skip. I think it took them two attempts to complete it because of weather closures. I always find it interesting how park hopping back and forth is more efficient even with the travel time. The fast pass strategy is also interesting.

Anyone that abuses disability access for any reason is super scummy though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Do we have anyone in here with a service dog with recent service dog experience at WDW or DLR?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1359670359998496768

things might get pretty interesting if this happens.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just bugs_bunny_florida.gif that poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

What're they gonna do? Position people on every fuckin' road out of Florida and just gun them down if they don't stop?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, ideally.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What're they gonna do? Position people on every fuckin' road out of Florida and just gun them down if they don't stop?

I mean shutting down interstates and airports from outside travel would stop like 99% of travelers. This is the type of thing every state should have done a year ago to actually stop this poo poo so I'm not going to give them a hard time for trying something now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean shutting down interstates and airports from outside travel would stop like 99% of travelers. This is the type of thing every state should have done a year ago to actually stop this poo poo so I'm not going to give them a hard time for trying something now.

I live three hours from Florida. There's a lot of little roads, is what I'm saying. I dunno how they'd stop those folks? We constantly have Floridian folks up for the livestock auctions and whatnot.

I mean my gods I'm sure as hell not going to disagree about harsher covid stuff when I want to shut down everything I'm just interested in how the heck they'd do logistics.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

This didn't make sense to me at first but then I remembered all the complete psychopaths left the White House. The PTSD is real

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It may not stop 100% of travel, but it will dramatically reduce it. I'd imagine something crazy like 95% or more of travel would be stopped if they set up checkpoints on the interstates and airports.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Bottom Liner posted:

The White house denied this today.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yeah, all the White House really has to do is order the FAA to ground all passenger flights and order the National Guard to shut down I-95 to passenger vehicles.

There'll be a mask mandate within 48 hours.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Coasterphreak posted:

Yeah, all the White House really has to do is order the FAA to ground all passenger flights
Yes, hey can do this...

quote:

and order the National Guard to shut down I-95 to passenger vehicles.

But not really this. The National Guard answers to the governor of the state assigned that guard unit. That's why states have volunteered to move their guard resources to DC.

Quarantining a state from the rest of the nation would be an idea that would be tied up in the courts so long that everyone would get the vaccine by the time we ran out of cases to fight over it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I honestly believe that Florida residents will arm themselves and overtake the borders if that happened.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

They're already armed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

I honestly believe that Florida residents will arm themselves and overtake the borders if that happened.

lmao, no they wouldn't.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

couldcareless posted:

These are people who have difficulty getting their cars out of their driveways.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm at MK today. It's fairly busy. At least more so than the last time I was here in September. I still only waited 10 mins for Space Mountain and 20 for Big Thunder.

Also Tron is huge.

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1359915275781570560?s=21

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, hey can do this...

But not really this. The National Guard answers to the governor of the state assigned that guard unit. That's why states have volunteered to move their guard resources to DC.

Quarantining a state from the rest of the nation would be an idea that would be tied up in the courts so long that everyone would get the vaccine by the time we ran out of cases to fight over it.

I was going to say this as well. The FAA can stop traffic going in and out of Florida, but there's tons of constitutional and legal issues if they were try and stop ground travel.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was going to say this as well. The FAA can stop traffic going in and out of Florida, but there's tons of constitutional and legal issues if they were try and stop ground travel.
Don’t stop it, just have Georgia set up toll booths with $10,000 fees.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Don’t stop it, just have Georgia set up toll booths with $10,000 fees.

I'll man the loving thing if I can keep half

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Didn't New York initially 'close their borders' last March or something? The Navajo Nation closed their borders but I didn't try to go there to see what it looked like.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Actually Florida started it by requiring a quarantine period for travelers from NY. Then NY did the same when Florida became the new hotspot. Neither were enforced at all.

Hawaii is the only US state that was seriously enforcing a quarantine period.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zero One posted:

Actually Florida started it by requiring a quarantine period for travelers from NY. Then NY did the same when Florida became the new hotspot. Neither were enforced at all.

Florida also required a quarantine period for travelers from Louisiana, which is just one of the many reasons DeSantis can go gently caress himself.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I've fallen into the Disney/Theme Park rabbit hole of stuff like Defunctland and Jenny Nicholson, any other good youtube series/content creators like that that anyone can recommend?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG1h-Wqjtwz7uUANw6gazRw

Lindsay Ellis' Disney vids are all good. Also her Hobbit series.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad you asked!

My top choices for being the most interesting and well-researched are:

Midway to Main Street - formerly Rob Plays, he takes seriously in depth looks at long time Disney park questions, rumors, or questions no one ever thought to ask before.

Yesterworld Entertainment - Similar to Defunctland, but I prefer it for various reasons and it's much more focused on just theme parks.

Expedition Theme Park - My third pick. He's good, but his videos feel more like Wikipedia articles than the in-depth analysis videos the first two do.

Martin's Videos - Obsessively in-depth look at theme park attractions, great if you're an ultra theme park nerd, but might be boring to most. He has a massive archive of rare and historic footage, images, and audio that most other channels could never compare to.

Honorable mentions:

Offhand Disney - Yet another theme park in-depth channel. He's okay, but amateur-ish, and a decent amount of his information is wrong or stems from online rumors.

Theme Park Crazy - A dude does in-depth analysis of -just- roller coasters. His nasally voice is a hurdle for some.

The Queue Line Lectures - Getting philosophical over theme park design; discussing it as an art medium. Might be pretentious for some. Doesn't update very often.

Bad, but I still subscribe anyway:

Theme Park History - Straight up Wikipedia entries about theme park topics and a somewhat grating narrating style, but occasionally he'll pull out some cool footage.

This might seem excessive, but none of them upload very frequently so it's not like my subscription feed is dominated by this stuff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I get recommended "Abandoned" a lot and it's decent, the production quality is really high, although I guess they only talk about Disney like half the time.

Midway to Main Street - formerly Rob Plays, he takes seriously in depth looks at long time Disney park questions, rumors, or questions no one ever thought to ask before.

I see one of the first videos is about Orange Bird so I'm loving in.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The Tim Tracker.

I am joking please don't give him clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There is a new early access sim game called NIMBYRails which lets you build rail networks on a full-scale world map.

So I did the needful:

Next step is to expand it. :getin:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1134710/NIMBY_Rails/