Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I played it. And then I stopped playing it halfway through because it was kind of boring, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

:respek:

Got the plat trophy as well.
The environments looked nice, the music was amazing, and the boss fights were cool as well, but the actual gameplay was quite bad.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It didn't help that the game just struggled to run in places on the PS4 despite looking like a PS3 game aside from the bloom

But I liked the story so an anime should be good, especially if they go further with relationships

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got the game on steam recently as well, I was interested mainly because it doesn't seem to do the same sort of toon shading other anime style games do and wanted to see how well it worked out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully it keeps the good soundtrack, but I'm never sure how those sorts of things work out.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m another one who played it for the story despite the weaknesses in its gameplay, so I’ll definitely be watching the anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I badly need to buy 13 Sentinels.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I played Blue Reflection, only missing an achievement for maxing out the digital pet thing and maybe an item from the crafting system that shows up so late it's pointless.

It should be interesting when all the demons show up and they end up killing someone to show it's serious business being a Reflector.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I remember Blue Reflection's soundtrack being pretty dope

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't believe the Orphen reboot got a 2nd season. That's wild to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I remember Blue Reflection's soundtrack being pretty dope

It's by far the best thing about the game and I enjoyed most of the other stuff too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I can't believe the Orphen reboot got a 2nd season. That's wild to me.

I bailed on it about two or three episodes in. I went in wanting to like it, but it's just so boringly generic compared to the original show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I often ask for a new season of Slayers, but that's definitely a No Fear/One Fear thing for me regarding it, yeah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all just play the orphen ps2 game that was made by the same dev studio that later made a cross ange lesbian dating sim where you play as a girl who looks weirdly identical to maria from symphogear and you have the option to bang the pink haired mommy or go on magical girl cosplay dates with sallia. the hilda ending is literally you marrying hilda, and becoming wives who live together in a quiet country home

the cross ange vita game is infinitely more awesome than any licensed mecha anime video game from 2015 deserves to be

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I often ask for a new season of Slayers, but that's definitely a No Fear/One Fear thing for me regarding it, yeah.
What would Slayers even look like in the reiwa era? All I remember is their goofishly hyper-90s artstyle.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Colonel posted:

lets all just play the orphen ps2 game that was made by the same dev studio that later made a cross ange lesbian dating sim where you play as a girl who looks weirdly identical to maria from symphogear and you have the option to bang the pink haired mommy or go on magical girl cosplay dates with sallia. the hilda ending is literally you marrying hilda, and becoming wives who live together in a quiet country home

the cross ange vita game is infinitely more awesome than any licensed mecha anime video game from 2015 deserves to be

This just reinforces my theory that nobody should ever actually watch Cross Ange and you should only ever experience it via video games.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's still like that, basically. they had some 30th anniversary commemorative stuff sorta happen last year

iunno whether i care about more anime but i suppose it would be interesting.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
some very idol angles there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicrom posted:

This just reinforces my theory that nobody should ever actually watch Cross Ange and you should only ever experience it via video games.

Nobody should ever have to experience Cross Ange, it's just plain awful.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yet most people who watch the whole thing seem to enjoy it, unpleasant early episodes notwithstanding

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first three episodes of cross ange are kinda bad and a couple of the scenes with embryo and ange are a bit much. other than that and tusk being kinda boring outside of a few really funny gags, it's one of the most fun 2010s mecha anime i've watched, the majority of it doesn't really fit the impression people give of it. like it's 90% just a goofy mecha anime with cool lesbians

really as far as sunrise anime with weird sexual content i give cross ange more points than mai hime or mai otome for being less weird about lesbians and ultimately lingering less on weird aspects of its writing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 13, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i hope we got more slayers animes, if only just to bring hayashibara out of semi-retirement for another couple seasons because she's still the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that the slayers artist does stuff like draw lina in shimakaze cosplay now

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also,
https://twitter.com/araizumirui/status/1351579084359307265

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drat, maybe slayers really is epic

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

yet most people who watch the whole thing seem to enjoy it, unpleasant early episodes notwithstanding

The Colonel posted:

the first three episodes of cross ange are kinda bad and a couple of the scenes with embryo and ange are a bit much. other than that and tusk being kinda boring outside of a few really funny gags, it's one of the most fun 2010s mecha anime i've watched, the majority of it doesn't really fit the impression people give of it. like it's 90% just a goofy mecha anime with cool lesbians

really as far as sunrise anime with weird sexual content i give cross ange more points than mai hime or mai otome for being less weird about lesbians and ultimately lingering less on weird aspects of its writing

ADTRW has a huge hateboner for Cross Ange, I blame Zorak.
I'm listening to a (japanese) anime podcast called SokoAni. The staff changes over the years, but they're all adults (many 30+) and the majority are women.
A few weeks into every season they do one episode where they talk about the new shows, one "end of the season" episode where they talk about the shows that ended, and then the rest of the episodes between that are usually focus episodes on single series/movies (or sometimes specific topics/creators). They also have anime industry connections and do interviews with creators.
They generally like the same kinds of shows people here like with one big exception: They *really* liked Cross Ange.
In the initial episode for the season (Cross Ange stuff starts at 24:28) their opinions were still kinda split but then they gave it two focus episodes because they liked it (kinda rare) and their final opinion after it ended was really positive as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

some very idol angles there

you may be onto something with this armpit thing, i was too distracted by all the other obvious angles in idol shows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cross ange definitely misuses stuff like sexual assault for shock value in a few places and tusk is just a poorly executed character all around but there's stuff it really lands, too. embryo sitting in a room and going 'nobody respects women more than i do' while two naked apron maids feed him pancakes is such an incredible shot.

i can understand being put off by it especially when the first couple eps are a pretty weak foot to put forward but i don't really get acting like it's a unique horror or anything, especially when opinions on shows with similar flaws tend to float much more positive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I ended up watching all of Cross Ange after playing through SRW V and it's a pretty fun show with some really deep flaws.

Embryo is an amazing villain that you really love to hate and, after the rapey commander is out of the plot a few episodes in, it gets much better on the hero character side.

The episode that is the climax of Ange and Salia's rivalry is something that has to be seen to be believed as it's extremely goofy and completely cut from any of the videogame adaptations. It's like it comes from a completely different show, in a fun way.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tamba posted:

ADTRW has a huge hateboner for Cross Ange, I blame Zorak.

Nah, in this case it was the first episode that did it. It really left a bad impression on people and most people wrote it off as trash right then and there. I more remember the ANN reviewers ripping on it and nobody ever talked good about it.

I then saw people on these forums last year say good things about it and picked it up when Sentai had a huge blowout sale (got entire series for like 20$) and while the first little bit was definitely super edgelord poo poo, the series is actually a pretty fun time.

Cross Ange isn’t amazing but it’s way better than people who wrote it off would have you think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that was def. the era where people still put stock in ann reviews for some reason.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I still use the preview guide to maybe see if there’s anything that’s getting glowing praise that I might be missing out on, but otherwise yeah, their reviews are not worth it. Posting here is usually a good enough to get a beat on a show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh if there's a 2010s mecha anime i want put into srw with all teh weird bits cut out it's less cross ange and more rinne no lagrange. but i guess that's easy to say since cross ange has already been put in twice and it just has a few scenes that are mildly weird to me while rinne no lagrange has one of the worst scenes i've ever seen in a mecha anime for how awkward its place in the story and how insanely long it gets dragged on is, and i'd like a version of the story that cuts it (the vox experiment scene in season 2)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 13, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not gonna blame the ANN reviewers because I also watched the first episode of Cross Ange and immediately pulled the chute until some friends convinced me to give it a shot. It's a really bad first impression!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1360637459214778371

guess they're going netflix style with this. for some reason.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Japanese release is Netflix like so not shocking CR is doing it as well

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like the way Horimiya has paced and constructed some of the early arcs, I seem to remember Miyamura cutting his hair way later but it works really well to bring it up here since it's where the story sort of starts to settle into a pretty comfortable groove and getting it out of the way I think honestly helps the story overall.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

I really like the way Horimiya has paced and constructed some of the early arcs, I seem to remember Miyamura cutting his hair way later but it works really well to bring it up here since it's where the story sort of starts to settle into a pretty comfortable groove and getting it out of the way I think honestly helps the story overall.

I'm assuming it's gonna be a 12 episode series so they're cutting down a lot of the miscellaneous fluff. But really, the first chapter this episode adapts is 26 (which is the same chapter he cuts his hair), so they're not even going that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watched a few eps of vlad love. it's not a super genius comedy but i feel like if you just approach it as a weird show with some decent gags and creative visuals it's fine, mamoru oshii's name kinda hurts it more than anything for the expectations it sets