Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

he does erroneously say that there were no protests against the Iraq war, which is a very strange thing to get wrong

i guess, but what did those protests even do tho. i dont remember i was in middleschool and i just remember people getting even more racist against muslim ppl like me haha.

i mean i guess i have heard that media did not cover the protests? was it just like the lib protests when trump got elected or was there something there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

fits my needs posted:

i guess, but what did those protests even do tho. i dont remember i was in middleschool and i just remember people getting even more racist against muslim ppl like me haha.

i mean i guess i have heard that media did not cover the protests? was it just like the lib protests when trump got elected or was there something there?

in my memory they didnt compare at all to 90s seattle wto riots buyt i live there so

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

ppl bitched and complaiend about it all thru growing up but i think the drive to priotest faded in the early 2000s and didnt pick up again until OWS

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Can’t believe I popped six Addy’s in two days.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

exmarx posted:

he draws an explicit link between the flawed 19th century scientific drive to taxonomise everything (played over archival phrenology footage) and 'artificial intelligence'... i love it

is there a slow zoom in on a picture of Charles Darwin

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm lying in bed at night and suddenly adam curtis appears in my room and there's a psilocybin mushroom effect as a montage of images of my life pass before my eyes. also depeche mode starts playing from my computer speakers.

what's.. going on? are you... louis althusser?

adam curtis: "no, i'm adam curtis. i'm here because you have a sense of everything being slightly unreal, that you fight a war that seems to cost you nothing. this is what you're seeing happening in your past. do you see yourself in these images?"

me: yeah, i think i remember some of that.

adam curtis: "but this is false."

me: what

adam curtis: "your whole life up to this point has been a psyop."

me: huh, yeah, that makes sense actually. and the way you've presented this is really convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snILjFUkk_A

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Laterite posted:

hypermornalization

For some reason this fellow resembles Will Menaker to me

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

all else aside the boole/voynich connection was a minor crack ping lmao

ethel boole seems like a real cool lady who survived a pretty hard life

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bird. posted:

ppl bitched and complaiend about it all thru growing up but i think the drive to priotest faded in the early 2000s and didnt pick up again until OWS

There was a wave of protests before the invasion of Iraq, but yeah, it was fairly silent after the war started until 2011.

I would say the issue with his critique of China maybe just both the result of a how/when the documentary was put together and also I would say a general sense of denial/bargaining in the West that the show isn't just over yet. Even a good documentary needs to be looked at critically.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Weren't the Iraq protests literally some of the largest in history?

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_protests_in_the_United_States_by_size

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Adam Curtis: "The German revolutionaries believed that the Nazi system had survived and was now hiding under the facade of modern capitalism, that its system of bureaucratic control had now mutated, and taken up by the victors, mainly in America, and was now being used by the multi-national corporations to exploit the 3rd world. Everything that stood in the system's way was bombed or destroyed. People in the industrialized world couldn't see this, as they had been led into a dream world of mass consumerism."

Me: "Ha, those wacky Germans!"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Watch Baader-Meinhof Komplex, it's good.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm lying in bed at night and suddenly adam curtis appears in my room and there's a psilocybin mushroom effect as a montage of images of my life pass before my eyes. also depeche mode starts playing from my computer speakers.

what's.. going on? are you... louis althusser?

adam curtis: "no, i'm adam curtis. i'm here because you have a sense of everything being slightly unreal, that you fight a war that seems to cost you nothing. this is what you're seeing happening in your past. do you see yourself in these images?"

me: yeah, i think i remember some of that.

adam curtis: "but this is false."

me: what

adam curtis: "your whole life up to this point has been a psyop."

me: huh, yeah, that makes sense actually. and the way you've presented this is really convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snILjFUkk_A

for some reason, you can hear music from Factory Records in the background. probably the Durutti Column

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

listed below the march for science, pitiful

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SplitSoul posted:

They were a lot bigger in Europe than the US but that didn't stop the Coalition of the Willing™ thanks to the complete ineffectiveness of protests without direct action

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

fits my needs posted:

listed below the march for science, pitiful

I had a friend going back to high school who was always this super apolitical, raised upper middle class republican, elon musk fan/engineer type who would actually walk out of the room when people were discussing politics. the first time I was back in town after trump won he sort of pulled me aside like it was a big deal and told me that he’d gone to to the march of science, because “once they start coming for the science community... I can’t stay on the sidelines anymore.” I still lol a lot thinking about that

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Adam Curtis completely lost me when he turned full zionist and claimed Palestinian resistance against Israel is the same thing as nazis attacking jews.

Jesus loving christ and to think I once respected this turd.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I had a friend going back to high school who was always this super apolitical, raised upper middle class republican, elon musk fan/engineer type who would actually walk out of the room when people were discussing politics. the first time I was back in town after trump won he sort of pulled me aside like it was a big deal and told me that he’d gone to to the march of science, because “once they start coming for the science community... I can’t stay on the sidelines anymore.” I still lol a lot thinking about that

is every engineer a dumb piece of poo poo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Adam Curtis completely lost me when he turned full zionist and claimed Palestinian resistance against Israel is the same thing as nazis attacking jews.

*record scratch*

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

lol, yeah. it made me laugh at the whiny german radicals too tho. wtf did they expect lmao

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

the lower end of this estimate is less than the rally to restore sanity lol. the london iraq war protest on the same date had 750,000 to a million people.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just finished watching the first episode.

What was it that the "most hated man in England" was doing?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just finished watching the first episode.

What was it that the "most hated man in England" was doing?

the predatory slumlord guy? they hated him for renting to black immigrants.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
All the Michael X stuff reminded me of that godawful Jason Statham movie about the Baker Street bank robbery

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zeno-25 posted:

They were a lot bigger in Europe than the US but that didn't stop the Coalition of the Willing™ thanks to the complete ineffectiveness of protests without direct action

Yeah, I meant the simultaneous worldwide protests, not just in the U.S. At least at the time they were described as being the largest in history. But Curtis' claim was that nobody protested at all when in fact millions did.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

fanfic insert posted:

No mention of the voynich manucript mention yet? That one made me go "WHAT" anyway

I watched the first episode with my friends tonight, and that was completely out of left field. Is that not followed up?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Al-Saqr posted:

You mean the part where it discussed how the hijackers singled out Israeli's and several non-Israeli Jews to be executed?

Mega Comrade has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Feb 13, 2021

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

I watched the first episode with my friends tonight, and that was completely out of left field. Is that not followed up?

I watched it last night and I felt like he added that tidbit as a joke or part of the "made up conspiracies" that people start believing anyway like that whole counterculture people writing in playboy, bringing back the illuminati. The manuscript is also looks like a medieval codex of some sort which goes with how everything must be catalogued. But the whole point of cataloguing is to bring "order" to a chaotic world and in that sense a fake manuscript defeats that purpose.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the voynich manuscript name drop is interesting because so far it isna cypher that even advanced computers have been unable to break. The theme of computers not being as powerful as their proponents claim comes up later.

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

mila kunis posted:

how the gently caress does this not have "but what the politicians didn't know..."

also missing "but then something strange/extraordinary happened"

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

3 episodes in, seems like the focus of each is as follows:

episode 1: the last gasp of revolution, “big ideas” in the 60s

episode 2: the dissolution of those ideas and movements post 68

episode 3: the transition to finance (“money”/consumerism) as a replacement for ideas in the early 70s

looking forward to seeing where the rest leads

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Around part 2 or 3 it kind of ends on the individualist revolutionaries betraying their ideals or being betrayed. But then he ends it with "but one person can still challenge the system" with the panther 21 trial. Which still ends up being very individualistic lib sort of thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Around part 2 or 3 it kind of ends on the individualist revolutionaries betraying their ideals or being betrayed. But then he ends it with "but one person can still challenge the system" with the panther 21 trial. Which still ends up being very individualistic lib sort of thing.

yeah that was pretty lol, a charitable read might be that he’s trying to say the system’s control was still immature and individuals could still push back. But yeah it was pretty west wing

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I just finished the last part and he stuck the landing on the ending better than I expected. I’m still not hopeful, but he does manage to segue back into that Graeber quote.

I think his take on China is pretty accurate. Its current setup is not a strong system because it requires a never-ending stable dictatorship and that’s not easy to pull off.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think part 4 is the one with the trans woman where the moral of the story is "yes an individual can win but you will pay for it and you will be on your own"

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Drug Classroom is a great YouTube channel

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

it was generous to describe that trial as one person successfully challenging the system. it was such a minor event in the grand scheme of things and the panthers were still destroyed.

like, yeah, boudica successfully challenged rome by sacking london, and then, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I’m through episode 4 and I think the theme is really more that, yes individuals can challenge the system and win but what impact do they actually have outside of the personal? Shakur won the trial, the trans woman got her surgery, but ultimately these small victories do not resonate on the scale that these systems and levers of power resonate.