Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Matt Sydal interview on Unrestricted is so weird because he's the last guy in the world you would expect to do a kayfabe interview, but overall it's very charming and I love when guys are really into their Dragon Gate runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lamuella posted:

You can beat someone strong using a standing armbar if you do a really great standing armbar and your opponent sells it well.

You can look like dogshit beating someone with a phoenix splash if your phoenix splash looks like dogshit

Just about the most protected move in New Japan (with good reason because it looks loving awesome!) is basically a short-arm clothesline.

I’ve seen a number of effective cross arm bar finishes where the executor really fought to put one on an opponent who wanted nothing to do either being in a cross arm breaker, and I had such an appreciation for that move now.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dropped a late night video, the New Beginning in Hiroshima Rudo Recap!

https://twitter.com/RudoWrestling/status/1360448653035413504?s=19

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
...why did he wait so long to say this? "Terry Taylor is a well-known and obvious Meltzer source" has been common smart mark lore for loving ever. It's like how he expects everyone to know the actual origin story of the Junkfood Dog nickname (and how it wasn't him making GBS threads on JYD for his weight gain) even they he never explained it until a few years ago/only ever mentions it in fleeting tweets.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/wonf4w/status/1360485490714025985?s=21

New Dave just dropped

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

davidbix posted:

...why did he wait so long to say this? "Terry Taylor is a well-known and obvious Meltzer source" has been common smart mark lore for loving ever. It's like how he expects everyone to know the actual origin story of the Junkfood Dog nickname (and how it wasn't him making GBS threads on JYD for his weight gain) even they he never explained it until a few years ago/only ever mentions it in fleeting tweets.

Because why does it matter?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 13, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Gotta say I was disappointed this wasn't just Dave interviewing himself

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

It's like how he expects everyone to know the actual origin story of the Junkfood Dog nickname (and how it wasn't him making GBS threads on JYD for his weight gain)

...it's not? Learn something new every day, I guess.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

...it's not? Learn something new every day, I guess.

The story is it was the middle of the night at a hotel, and Dave and a friend saw the JYD getting a bunch of junk food from a vending machine because nothing was open, and Dave's friend said "It's the Junk Food Dog!" and they all had a laugh about it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

Because why does it matter?
Because he knows full well that numerous people in his orbit had the opposite impression for decades.

(And the Junkfood Dog thing not being obvious should be obvious to HIM.)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/the_mjf/status/1360678290101587968

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Is no one safe from this internet hooligan?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Is no one safe from this internet hooligan?

No

https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1360785197684453376?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

The story is it was the middle of the night at a hotel, and Dave and a friend saw the JYD getting a bunch of junk food from a vending machine because nothing was open, and Dave's friend said "It's the Junk Food Dog!" and they all had a laugh about it.

I genuinely appreciate that clarification. I'd always thought Dave was just kind of being a jerk about the Dog.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dave steps into the Gina Carano debate today.

It’s better handled than most of his moments lately, but saying Pedro Pascal did similar is a disingenuous read, for sure.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Pedro Pascal came out in support of his trans sister... what on earth is the connection between that and Gina citing the holocaust?

Maybe because shes against trans peoples existence?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think it's in reference to one of Pascal's posts comparing concentration camps to the immigrant cages in America.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i'm convinced that dave's views on people getting cancelled are mostly gained from the peyton royce incident and he has not figured out the difference between good faith and bad faith

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Dudebro posted:

i'm convinced that dave's views on people getting cancelled are mostly gained from the peyton royce incident and he has not figured out the difference between good faith and bad faith

Neither has most of the world, to be honest.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah I had to dig to figure out what Pedro Pascal even did because I figured it couldn’t be the sister thing and like, wtf is Dave even talking about yikes.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

CVagts posted:

I think it's in reference to one of Pascal's posts comparing concentration camps to the immigrant cages in America.

Right. That one.

It’s days like these where I go “oh yeah, Dave’s almost sixty and rarely leaves his house”.

I know at the end of the day he’s aiming for the right spot, I just wish someone would clue him in.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Pascal posted an image equating the confederacy, the Nazis and Trumps Magas, that is probably what Dave is referring too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In other words he's even cooler than I already thought he was

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

John Dudebro posted:

I think this is at least partially true?

Dave and I were still on good terms at the time, and though I 100% felt that his having apologized was the right move (and I told him that), there were some things I did find curious: Mainly that Peyton's tweet was over a week after the fact, I couldn't find anyone tagging her to share the clip, and that she tweeted during a Triple H conference call, a time where it would be known that Dave would most likely not be paying attention to Twitter. It was more of a journalistic solidarity thing: That while what he said was wrong and warranted a sincere apology, it seemed like there were real reasons to at least wonder if the vocal pushback by the roster was coordinated by WWE at al. And if that was the case, it was best for him to keep alert and me to tell him because I'd want to know the same thing.

Later—I don't remember how much later, but some time passed—he told me that he couldn't say what, but that he learned of more things that suggested this was brought on by the office.

So...this may be partially my fault, as I didn't really anticipate that kind of response—especially since I'm fairly sure this was after his LONG audio apology—but I can tell you for certain that he believes he was wronged. And he's clearly internalized a lot of it, hence the constant "apologizing makes it worse" talk and the like. And he didn't at all learn the lesson that he's constantly cryptic when there's no need to be, as "I hate to say it, but her timing has been off since she got her surgery" or something similar would have been many orders of magnitude better than what he actually said.

(Incidentally, it looks like Royce deleted the tweet at some point. No idea why.)

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

davidbix posted:

(Incidentally, it looks like Royce deleted the tweet at some point. No idea why.)

this is pure speculation but I'd have to imagine that with her husband being in the company where everyone is friends with and loves Meltzer, the issue was probably smoothed over?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
maybe she realized it made her look like a loving moron

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

The Observer posted:

AEW's Sammy Guevara was pulled from this past week’s Impact Wrestling tapings due to creative differences.

Dave Meltzer confirmed that Guevara was scheduled to be part of last week's Impact tapings, but was pulled after he questioned the creative. Despite him travelling to Nashville, TN, for the tapings, Impact decided to not use him. At this point, there is no significant heat from anyone on either side.

Slam Wrestling was the first to report the news. PWInsider reported that the majority of what had been planned for Guevara was given to Black Taurus to utilize. Taurus first appeared on Impact last week, joining the Decay stable with Rosemary and Crazzy Steve.

So yeah, he was there, he expressed not liking the creative, so they decided not to use him, but there's no heat.

EDIT: This is the wrong loving thread but it's the Observer so I'll leave it

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Sammy having a match and winning on Impact is fine, him being part of some stable there is asinine and goofy. He's a future star and shouldn't be doing jobs or becoming a part of some other promotion on that level. Not sure whose idea that was but it's poo poo, and Taurus is much better in that role (though he should be in AEW).

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Eat My Fuc posted:

Sammy having a match and winning on Impact is fine, him being part of some stable there is asinine and goofy. He's a future star and shouldn't be doing jobs or becoming a part of some other promotion on that level. Not sure whose idea that was but it's poo poo, and Taurus is much better in that role (though he should be in AEW).

Underlined 100 emoji!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think what was planned for Sammy has happened yet. We'll see what Black Taurus does if it was a good idea for Sammy to refuse or not.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

maybe she realized it made her look like a loving moron
Did it? It was still a lovely thing for Dave to say and far from the first or last really lovely thing he's said about women in the last few years.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Does anyone know where to find a Captain Lou Albano interview? I found a really long one, about a 2 or 3 hour interview done when Lou was an old man, but it's gone from YouTube since I last listened several years ago. I would like to see that again if anybody has it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume the idea was Sammy quit the Inner Circle, said he needed a break, so goes to TNA for a month, but joining another stable when his storyline was just being hosed over by one is dumb.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cheese Thief posted:

Does anyone know where to find a Captain Lou Albano interview? I found a really long one, about a 2 or 3 hour interview done when Lou was an old man, but it's gone from YouTube since I last listened several years ago. I would like to see that again if anybody has it.

There is a Captain Lou shoot on the Highspots Network, that he did with RF Video.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
every now and then Brian strikes gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2nsTGX3Vc0

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I assume the idea was Sammy quit the Inner Circle, said he needed a break, so goes to TNA for a month, but joining another stable when his storyline was just being hosed over by one is dumb.

Yeah, that seems stupid

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

davidbix posted:

Did it? It was still a lovely thing for Dave to say and far from the first or last really lovely thing he's said about women in the last few years.

Lol this is just as disingenuous as the original crusade against Dave. Dave's comment was completely innocuous - a wrestler got implants and her performance changed afterwards where she wasn't as snappy in the ring. Any other interpretation is willfully blind

Give it a rest bix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i think dave tries to be extra careful when he talks about women and in the process winds up phrasing things even worse. like, if he hadn't been trying so hard to not specifically mention her breasts he would have gotten a fraction of the poo poo he got but he did and now his brain is permanently broken as a result

anyway i apologize for bringing it up and will not further derail into this ancient story