Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'd be keen to keep the podcasters in if they set them up with better production/direction etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

drat...I hope not. Klassje and Titus have perfect voices I think. Actually I think they all do. There’s no voices in the game that I dislike.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

chaosapiant posted:

drat...I hope not. Klassje and Titus have perfect voices I think. Actually I think they all do. There’s no voices in the game that I dislike.

yeah same honestly

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

chaosapiant posted:

:same:

Some characters I could more easily imagine them being fine with a new voice actor, but Klassje sounds just perfect already, I really really hope her original voice stays.

I've already heard on Discord Elysium though that Cuno's getting a change. I do trust they'll still do a decent job, but man I'm feeling a bit heartbroken about it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wonder if they’ll be a way to roll back to “original dub” or whatever. That’d be the best of both worlds.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd be upset if they changed Klassje's voice actor because Dasha is perfect for that role.

However, if they did it out of love for Adam Friedland, then I respect that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Verviticus posted:

im guessing they're re-casting titus, klassje and the scab leader considering how much dialogue those characters have and that their voice actors are not really VAs in the typical sense

klassje was great, the other two not so much

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Gorn Myson posted:

However, if they did it out of love for Adam Friedland, then I respect that.

Same.

Bifauxnen posted:

:same:

Some characters I could more easily imagine them being fine with a new voice actor, but Klassje sounds just perfect already, I really really hope her original voice stays.

I've already heard on Discord Elysium though that Cuno's getting a change. I do trust they'll still do a decent job, but man I'm feeling a bit heartbroken about it

This sucks, I mean, I kind of hate Cuno’s voice, but that’s part of his charm? I also think it’s just the fact that, like someone else said, his voice is turned up like 10 decibels louder than everyone else’s.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cuno’s voice is so perfect as it is. So I hope whoever does his voices keeps the accent, the squealing pitch and the manic behavior. The volume can be lowered, I don’t care about that.

I’m sure the DC will be fantastic all the way around, but Disco was my 2019 goty and to me it’s an absolutely perfect game where I can honestly say I’d change nothing.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

The volume is not the problem with Cuno, it's that he yells so loudly in an untreated room it sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom. I was dumbstruck to find out it's recorded in an actual studio.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think that's part of the charm. Cuno can't be contained by a recording studio. Cuno doesn't loving care.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Excusing low production values with being a feature and not a bug is not really that cool, especially when some voices sound so produced that there are sore thumbs all around.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Dasha Nekrasova (the voice of Klaasje) was a great meme casting because well besides being a lefty podcaster (that infuriates the left), she is an actress with fancy studies in theatre and cinema, lol. However I wouldn't doubt that she would benefit a lot from another pass at direction/production, especially since it seems it was not a very cohesive process at all (if you have some decent headphones you can hear different levels of audio volume and quality throughout different characters without any normalization)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I actually really liked the Scab Leader. He really nailed the "aggressive and fake" thing. I still think about "Right! To! Work! Shame! On! You!" and laugh at how ridiculous he sounds screaming it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I actually really liked the Scab Leader. He really nailed the "aggressive and fake" thing. I still think about "Right! To! Work! Shame! On! You!" and laugh at how ridiculous he sounds screaming it.

Felix was bad but didn't hold back at all unlike those simpletons Virgil and Will, making him Good in a special way

Matt was okay too, considering the role he plays, but could've been rowdier/more emotional

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nobody nails "bad actor" like a bad actor.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The idea behind the Scab Leader is that he's a fake. He's actually a wild pines mercenary astroturfing anti-union sentiment. So the fact that he sounds like a bad actor is actually really on point.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

No, those are done by Mikee Goodman. That interview seems to give the impression that they just stumbled onto Lenval (who is a jazz musician by trade) after release and thought "This is the guy. He needs to be Harry's brain and our narrator."

I don't know how common it is for musicians to be voice actors but this game uses a bunch of them. I know the guy who voices Measurehead is one, and there's at least a couple of others.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The idea behind the Scab Leader is that he's a fake. He's actually a wild pines mercenary astroturfing anti-union sentiment. So the fact that he sounds like a bad actor is actually really on point.

exactly!

edit: username/post combo 9/10

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

exactly!

edit: username/post combo 9/10

:siren: I'm a dense idiot.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I don't know how common it is for musicians to be voice actors but this game uses a bunch of them. I know the guy who voices Measurehead is one, and there's at least a couple of others.

Dominic Major, keyboard/drums for London Grammar, voices Vicquemare and Cuno

Tommy le Homme is voiced by a musician too, Mark Holcomb. It's one of the guitars for Periphery, a metal band from DC (I knew that his VA was a musician but found only now who is it lol)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I can dig this, but the issue is he brings a similar energy to the tribunal, where you actually want him to sound sincere.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Bet this'll be one of those situations where the updated version is better in every way but purists prefer the original

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if your favorite version of cuno screeching ISN'T the jean vicquemare voice then gently caress YOU you goddamn MORALIST

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I liked how Felix's voice felt a little mismatched too, even the narration comments that his voice is oddly screechy for a man so big, a funny parallel to the VO himself. I will concede the performance is not exactly top quality though, lol. Replacing Dasha and Matt is a bit of a bummer. They already had a lot of dialog, and it would be hard to forget the way their characters sounded while playing the Final Cut if they are different. Cuno's VO getting changed doesn't bug me much. I agree that the recording is pretty bad, and most of the reason Cuno is so memorable is the writing imho.

I hope Measurehead is the same guy, and of course Saint Kitsuragi isn't changing, so really it will all be no big deal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't really agree that they should be recasting at all. Re-recording, sure, but recasting? The equivalent of that would be reviled in the movie industry, even for a Director's Cut or whatever.

Especially for a good loving game such as this, it really shouldn't be surprising that people see fidelity as important.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Harry shot first.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eason the Fifth posted:

Bet this'll be one of those situations where the updated version is better in every way but purists prefer the original

I hope that’s the case actually. Persona 4 Golden comes to mind. Lots of folks bitching about Chie and Teddy. But because I never played the original PS2 version, I thought those folks were crazy.

So if the new voices are better or at least as good, I’ll be happy to admit it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Harry shot first.

Kortenaer now yells "Maclunkey" during the Tribunal for no reason.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 13, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I don't really agree that they should be recasting at all. Re-recording, sure, but recasting? The equivalent of that would be reviled in the movie industry, even for a Director's Cut or whatever.

Especially for a good loving game such as this, it really shouldn't be surprising that people see fidelity as important.

Yeah I'm with this. Maybe it just wasn't practical to get some people back in the booth, but chucking out their vocal performances still sucks and it's a perfectly fair thing to be put out by

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There’s probably some people that just aren’t available to record a bunch more lines, especially if they might have to be working from home depending on where they are. A fair amount of the cast aren’t actually professional VAs and there’s definitely way more working constraints this time around compared to when it was originally recorded.

I do hope they keep the original version around too though, just as an option.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vegetable posted:

This is more like recasting a role from a pilot to a full TV series, something that happens all the time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

This is more like recasting a role from a pilot to a full TV series, something that happens all the time.

Disco Elysuim was not an early access game and prior to its completely unanticipated runaway success the original voice acting in the game would have been the final version, so this is not a good comparison at all

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I mean, I love the original voices to death. But the same people who picked those also picked the new ones also so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that they know what they’re doing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im trying to think of any voices i actually dislike in the game and honestly i dont think there are any. a lot of the 'bad' actors have a certain charm that they bring to the character that i think is really endearing - titus being a little bit shaky works because he really is posturing, the scab leader sounding totally out of place is kind of refreshing considering what a complete inhuman monster he is - its nice that hes not just another grizzled space marine

chaosapiant posted:

I mean, I love the original voices to death. But the same people who picked those also picked the new ones also so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that they know what they’re doing.

yeah ultimately if i think that somehow 100% of their previous casting decisions were good i dont think it would be reasonable for me to guess that their updated casting decisions with the benefit of lots of money and time are going to be anything but equally fantastic

hearing that one guy is gonna do all the skills is actually encouraging but i cant shake the feeling that one skill is gonna end up sounding real bad but everyone is gonna disagree on which skill that is

AceOfFlames posted:

Meaning he literally voices half the game's 1.2 million-word script. Poor bastard.

this has to be a record in voice acting or close to it, right? like 600,000 words is... already longer than most books. atlas shrugged and les miserables (and some books above them) obviously have audiobook versions but i dont even know if id count those as 'voice acting'

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 13, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

AceOfFlames posted:

Kortenaer now yells "Maclunkey" during the Tribunal for no reason.

lol I'd love to see some allusion to that just for the absurdity.

I'm generally a purist shithead (e.g. of the variety who thinks the '77 Star Wars was the best of the nine Skywalker movies because it didn't try to explain everything), but I'm definitely willing to see where DE goes with the new voice acting and other additions. I respect the game's writing despite the egocentric takes from the writers, and I'm happy to do another run-through once the new version drops. I'm pretty sure they won't gently caress it up.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 13, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

multijoe posted:

Disco Elysuim was not an early access game and prior to its completely unanticipated runaway success the original voice acting in the game would have been the final version, so this is not a good comparison at all

Going from each character having 5 lines or so to being fully voice acted is an absolutely massive expansion in the amount of voice acting. Far, far larger than any directors cut. It makes sense that they might replace some of the amateur actors that were doing the equivalent of a bit part now that those roles have been expanded by orders of magnitude. Especially now that they actually have a budget.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah id be surprised if they originally paid the chapo guys

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They didn't, but once the game blew up they bought them a gaming PC, which they seemed pretty happy with as a resolution

WrightOfWay posted:

Going from each character having 5 lines or so to being fully voice acted is an absolutely massive expansion in the amount of voice acting. Far, far larger than any directors cut. It makes sense that they might replace some of the amateur actors that were doing the equivalent of a bit part now that those roles have been expanded by orders of magnitude. Especially now that they actually have a budget.

Yeah, I understand the why of it. I'm just point out that regardless the original cast still gave some strong and memorable performances and it sucks a bit that they're going to be replaced, even if there isn't really a better solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Verviticus posted:

yeah id be surprised if they originally paid the chapo guys

I'm pretty sure the Chapo guys mentioned on a podcast that they did it for free because they thought it would be cool to be in a video game.