Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The stated purpose of lockdown has been to protect the vulnerable and prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. Once those goals are met, why continue it?

If you're arguing to continue the lockdown for months past that point, you need to say how long for and to what purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

The stated purpose of lockdown has been to protect the vulnerable and prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. Once those goals are met, why continue it?

If you're arguing to continue the lockdown for months past that point, you need to say how long for and to what purpose.

There need to be restrictions to stop or significantly reduce transmission so as to reduce the likelihood of vaccine-resistant variants developing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And also I would like to not catch it working to sustain the pricks who got all the vaccines and develop long term debilitating disease because of it.

I appreciate that destroying the future of everyone under 40 to keep the boomers happy is standard government policy but I have not become any more warmed to the prospect in the past few years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/benljwilson1996/status/1360516164032561152

Gina Carano is the right kind of antisemite

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/STILLTish/status/1360331199290494977

The TERF brains trust have come up with another genius move, boycotting the census because it doesn't come with a genital examination. I doubt they have anything like enough numbers for it to be even vaguely effective but if they did all that would happen would be things like local councils losing some funding and a bunch of middle-class constituencies being redrawn.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Might question the point of telling people who read the times that you're the best person for labour, though I suppose it depends who you want to tell that to.

It's because Starmer's crack team of political strategists have developed the following incredible plan:

quote:

?
???
?????????
??
Hope
???????
?
?????

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

It's because Starmer's crack team of political strategists have developed the following incredible plan:

You missed out "Flags".

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Failed Imagineer posted:

So I guess he's been getting into some unsupervised Youtube algorithmic vortex and developing some wrong-think.

Bit late on this one but you literally can't get away from it. My main yt account only ever gets used on channels I'm subbed to that have chilled out stuff, on a machine that I don't look at political poo poo on but every so often my recommendations suddenly get a deluge of fash bullshit- a day or so ago it was multiple "louder with crowder" vids, some greasy sunglassed chud sat in a truck wanting to tell me about how biden is gonna take away my guns and an hour long video about how trump was brought down by the msm and soros and at least a dozen other obvious chudbait videos, en bloc, row after row of them.

Pistol_Pete posted:

The two stated purposes given aren't just moveable goalposts, they exist in some kind of quantum superposition where they exist both everywhere and nowhere at all- there's no definite win condition set.

Every member of my household has underlying conditions as specified by the nhs guidelines. I don't really feel like seeing how well my kids or wife can "take it on the chin"- a friend had covid 2 months ago- didn't suffer too much during the sickness phase compared with some but is now dealing with significant health issues and long term if not permanent and life changing damage to his kidneys.

The lockdowns we have had are essentially cargo-cult copies of ones performed in other nations. There is the language and some of the structure but at the heart was always the concern of capital- eat out to help out, go back to the office or get sacked, keep borders wide open, reopen the schools early, loopholes in regulations you could drive a bus through, people getting fined for walking around a park but not a single business fined for making staff come in for bullshit reasons... It was a sham, the failures for which are being greedily lumped onto a population already strictly conditioned to blame anyone but those actually in positions of power.

Shits hosed imo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The answer to that is "Absolutely not while they have such a deep rot of transphobia shot all the way through the party".

This goes for a LOT of parties.

Hence the "move to Scotland", the Scottish Greens are a separate party and much better on that and in general.

Though good luck finding a party in the rUK that isn't shot through with transphobia at the moment. Plaid Cymru, i think? The Lib Dems? Maybe? I don't know if any of the NI parties have escaped this

Angepain fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 13, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A five month lock down followed by mass spreading of the virus is an insanely bad way to 'get out' of the pandemic. It's literally ruining everything because the idea of doing things better is anathema to rightwingers.

A better supported lockdown with more closures, effective T&T and proper border monitoring could half the lockdown length and stop the spread happening afterwards. I cannot understand why people are thinking the government's strategy is okay or necessary.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1360265725705936896?s=20

Jewdas with a fun review of David Baddiel's new book.

You'll be unsurprised to find out that it's not overly glowing: "In reality, Jews Don’t Count has two principal uses: as a detailed post-mortem of a brain rotted by Twitter and as an illustration of the intellectual dead-end championed by liberals still dreaming of a return to the good old days of 1997."
"To Baddiel’s eyes, ‘progressives’ seem to include the BBC, football club manages, his mates, Twitter user @potato_in_my_ass, Waterstones managers, David Cameron, the HR department of major corporations, the Observer, Twitter user @blue_tick_respecter69 and basically everyone to the Left of Nigel Farage (Are Huguenots White? Baddiel doesn’t say)."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

namesake posted:

A five month lock down followed by mass spreading of the virus is an insanely bad way to 'get out' of the pandemic. It's literally ruining everything because the idea of doing things better is anathema to rightwingers.

A better supported lockdown with more closures, effective T&T and proper border monitoring could half the lockdown length and stop the spread happening afterwards. I cannot understand why people are thinking the government's strategy is okay or necessary.

What is the government's strategy though?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lockdown means lockdown

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Same as always - "More money for me and mates, gently caress you".

The unwillingness of the government to do a good thing means they're at least part of what's stopping good things from happening, not a reason not to work towards good things happening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Useless oval office

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1360517228660224001?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

lol

"Corbyns unpopularity with the electorate indicates an inherent and fatal weakness in their ideology and he had to go.

Our unpopularity with the electorate indicates we're on a firm base of support and can now work hard on winning over the rest"

Also that first tweet is so loving bad - like in normal times people yearn for a lovely government to fail them at every turn?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

namesake posted:

people yearn for a lovely government to fail them at every turn?

This would seem to be backed up by recent election results.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does anybody believe that starmer has established himself as an effective oppositon other than him?

Does he even believe that?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This would seem to be backed up by recent election results.

Ah so you think Starmer has learned the right lessons from listening to the electorate? Interesting point.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Grown-up politics means that when someone says that your party is poo poo, you agree with them and apologize. This will make people want to vote for you.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

DesperateDan posted:

Every member of my household has underlying conditions as specified by the nhs guidelines. I don't really feel like seeing how well my kids or wife can "take it on the chin"- a friend had covid 2 months ago- didn't suffer too much during the sickness phase compared with some but is now dealing with significant health issues and long term if not permanent and life changing damage to his kidneys.

You're both talking as though effective vaccines don't exist and aren't being rolled out to millions of people right now this minute. Obviously there's a debate to be had about how and how quickly we relax restrictions as vaccination cover expands but if we can't relax things even once everyone's vaccinated, what's the point? I'm no fan of the government but a policy of beginning to relax restrictions once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated and effectively ending all restrictions once everyone's vaccinated seems reasonable enough to me. I mean, what else are we supposed to do? Stay in lockdown forever?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Work to eliminate it entirely with a proper lockdown, because again, it causes long term sickness even in otherwise asymptomatic infections.

That you just can't possibly deal with having your life restricted is not sufficient justification to expect me to put my health at risk.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

You're both talking as though effective vaccines don't exist and aren't being rolled out to millions of people right now this minute. Obviously there's a debate to be had about how and how quickly we relax restrictions as vaccination cover expands but if we can't relax things even once everyone's vaccinated, what's the point? I'm no fan of the government but a policy of beginning to relax restrictions once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated and effectively ending all restrictions once everyone's vaccinated seems reasonable enough to me. I mean, what else are we supposed to do? Stay in lockdown forever?

Eliminate the Virus, once theres Herd immunity Via Vaccines you then can open stuff up, how is this that incomprehensible?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Dr2NisreenAlwan/status/1352328791662751745

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol Smithers is such a good insult

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1360545763454025731?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yup Keith is smithers from now on

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

It wasn't insane, people respond to what informs them, but you're totally correct the UKMT was hostile as gently caress to anything that wasn't this wierd 'second-ref is good, neoliberal technocrats are bad except when they're good actually, populist democracy is good except when it's bad actually, electoralism is !?!(confusing and potentially a spook???)'.
It depends, a lot of people were just getting into understanding politics, and a lot of the 'brexit bad / EU good / 2nd ref' posting was coming from a position of "Jesus Christ do not let the Tories be in charge of this," a position which I feel has been almost entirely vindicated.

From my perspective at least, it wasn't so much that I thought a second referendum was a great idea, I just wanted to put the brakes on what I saw as an incredibly destructive process and was grasping at hope any way it would come.

I'm really tired of justifying feeling like that against "ah but have you considered accelerationism," when it takes a special kind of privelage to say you're in favour of people suffering and dying because maybe they'll get mad enough to rise up.

I'm not accusing you of using that argument, I'm just pointlessly trying to insulate against it when it inevitably comes.

Yes, since that time there has been more of a nuanced discussion of why the EU is bad, and why not being part of the neoliberal consensus is a good thing. But this is terf island we're on, not some rational intellectual paradise. Even without factoring in the additional load of the pandemic, the current brexit shitshow should be enough of a sign that people trying to stop a tory brexit by whatever means was possible weren't pointing in the wrong direction.

Guavanaut posted:

It's not a million miles away from the religious types who were convinced that being gay must be both super amazing and therefore also prevented at all costs, and I guess why one of the biggest punctures in that particular blimp was more people just knowing gay people as friends and family and not some sort of magical deviants invented by the theatre.

Rowling even says at one point that if she was younger she might have 'been convinced' to transition, and I really think that the psychic wound caused by a lot of eggs / closeted people justifying to themselves why "actually not pursuing their true nature is a good thing actually" is behind why they absolutely cannot let anybody else get away with living the lives that they decided they can't.

Christ, admitting they were wrong is absolute anathema to these people.

Pistol_Pete posted:

So as not to kill an estimated 1.3 million people, going by the 98% suggested by the article?

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with that post, but it's pretty telling that the best person they could find to back up their hot take was a former anaesthatist and not anyone in the field of virology.

Not unexpected though from the country that brought you "Well we can't possibly pay our hospital cleaners properly, guess MRSA and Norovirus are just things that occasionally kill immunocompromised people now."

DesperateDan posted:

My main yt account only ever gets used on channels I'm subbed to that have chilled out stuff, on a machine that I don't look at political poo poo on but every so often my recommendations suddenly get a deluge of fash bullshit
The biggest problem is that the algorithm just looks for keywords and then throws everything it knows about those keywords at you. So I watched an hbomberguy video called something like 'why Jordan Peterson is stupid and wrong' and immediately had the gates of hell opened directly onto my timeline - shapiro, crowder, carl of swindon, prison paul etc.

If you start blocking channels, the algorithm goes 'fair enough, doesn't want to hear about that' and biases against it, including left wing videos criticising shapiro etc because it absolutely cannot tell the difference. It's an AI guardian journalist.

The other issue is that it pulls from Google's profile of you, so if you own an android, it'll pull from your keyboard history and link to any machine you're signed in on, unless you change a few default settings. So I'm probably going to have to spend the next few days hitting 'do not recommend this channel' on a bunch of things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My youtube recs very rarely give me anything right wing and have actually linked me to a handful of new lefties.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Who is the guy in the photo?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thrashingteeth posted:

Who is the guy in the photo?
inflation fetish tony hadley

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BaneNook/status/1360467682504699904?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lol presumably he posed for that pic why does he still look surprised and caught out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1360299251083935744?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

Secure leadership is when you have to get on the front page of a national paper to insist you're the right person for the job, and the more strenuously you have to insist the stronger your position is.

Tories must be pissing themselves laffin tbh, couldn't have pulled off "Uh yeah we're uh... dead scared of Keith he's the one to watch out for in Labour" any better

when osbourne did that "this guy's serious about getting into number 10" tweet he meant it in the same tone of voice he uses to say "oh no madam not the stilettos to my balls again!!!" :laugh:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Given that we are not getting to a point when COVID is eliminated entirely any time soon, when do perma-lockdown goons want to start looking at opening up? Like honestly quite a few of you seem to be perfectly happy and find ridiculous the idea that anyone might at some point in the near future want to resume something like normal life. And yes, sorry to say it, but the vast majority of people including me understand that opening up will mean some deaths that wouldn’t happen if we stayed in lockdown until next year. To the vast majority that’s a price worth paying. I’m not saying open up now obviously, but there comes a point when you have to and the fact that that means that some people will die is just the nature of viruses.

Seriously, if you don’t want to open up when the vast majority of the adult population is vaccinated, when do you want to open up? You can’t say ‘when there’s no COVID’ at this point either - that would have been smart at the start or even up til a few months ago but now that would take us through to May at the earliest, and COVID isn’t going away from the world. Ever. And we can’t quarantine new arrivals indefinitely or close borders indefinitely given that we’re the second largest travel hub in Europe, if not the largest. So we get to say, June, there’s zero covid(which I’m honestly doubtful is possible at this point particularly given the Tories), then what? Indefinite arrival quarantine?

As a lot of people were saying at the start of this, it’ll eventually become like the flu. A manageable death toll of X thousand per year. That’s the reality of it and indefinitely locking down anyway is pointless and ultimately detrimental unless you’re a goon who doesn’t go outside anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

My youtube recs very rarely give me anything right wing and have actually linked me to a handful of new lefties.
:same:

Mostly 2 hour long electronic music videos today apparently, but no weird politics at all. Except this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywOBj_Xoqyg

I suspected that it'd become a magic eye painting, where the antisemitism depends entirely on who is liking it for what purpose.

e: ^^ When there's a good test and trace system in place

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extremely cool this man has veto power over anyone standing for any labour office

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1360214712332484612?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Given that we are not getting to a point when COVID is eliminated entirely any time soon, when do perma-lockdown goons want to start looking at opening up? Like honestly quite a few of you seem to be perfectly happy and find ridiculous the idea that anyone might at some point in the near future want to resume something like normal life. And yes, sorry to say it, but the vast majority of people including me understand that opening up will mean some deaths that wouldn’t happen if we stayed in lockdown until next year. To the vast majority that’s a price worth paying. I’m not saying open up now obviously, but there comes a point when you have to and the fact that that means that some people will die is just the nature of viruses.

Seriously, if you don’t want to open up when the vast majority of the adult population is vaccinated, when do you want to open up? You can’t say ‘when there’s no COVID’ at this point either - that would have been smart at the start or even up til a few months ago but now that would take us through to May at the earliest, and COVID isn’t going away from the world. Ever. And we can’t quarantine new arrivals indefinitely or close borders indefinitely given that we’re the second largest travel hub in Europe, if not the largest. So we get to say, June, there’s zero covid(which I’m honestly doubtful is possible at this point particularly given the Tories), then what? Indefinite arrival quarantine?

As a lot of people were saying at the start of this, it’ll eventually become like the flu. A manageable death toll of X thousand per year. That’s the reality of it and indefinitely locking down anyway is pointless and ultimately detrimental unless you’re a goon who doesn’t go outside anyway.

Maybe I'm misreading but are you saying you'd rather people die needlessly than lockdown til May as part of a zero covid thing?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I do think the idea of vaccinating the over 65s then letting the virus loose resulting in a "manageable" death toll that nobody notices is just magical thinking and basically ignores what the virus is or what a plague is.

Any death toll is manageable for the government, if that's not what you mean then it's less so.

It seems like we've been having this argument on loop since this began though, people are very impatient and hoping they can shortcut through this but it is just wishful thinking.

I do think it's likely we get what they want though and just declare covid over and attempt to open up again, I just highly doubt that results in what they expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Communist Thoughts posted:

It seems like we've been having this argument on loop since this began though

it's honestly driving me loving mad :/