Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gotta say it felt extremely satisfying ferrying my 120 raw iron nuggets across the ocean from my swamp outpost to my main base. Even with the storm that hit halfway.

Also I can make so many sausages now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Fishstick posted:

I touch the Early Access stove pretty often and while I think the current mass popularity is probably something that's gonna fade, the game itself definitely has potential. What's there currently is worth the price of admission and is polished enough, but there's a lot of room for expansion and the dev(s) seem pretty on top of things, going back in dev update history.

For me it ticks a lot of boxes, just wish I had more people to play with :v.

My concern for it now it's how they are going to manage expectations from now on. I've heard some people on twitch making some really wild assumptions based solely on one or two words from their road map like this guy saying that he saw the word sandbox mode there and going on about how it will be a 35+ people mode with pvp with seemingly 0 proof or base for that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pigbottom posted:

My concern for it now it's how they are going to manage expectations from now on. I've heard some people on twitch making some really wild assumptions based solely on one or two words from their road map like this guy saying that he saw the word sandbox mode there and going on about how it will be a 35+ people mode with pvp with seemingly 0 proof or base for that.

Assuming the server infrastructure could handle it, there's no reason that 35 people plus PvP couldn't be implemented right now. I imagine it would be a horrible laggy chugfest until more optimization is done, but all the gameplay systems are present and functional already, all they'd need to do is flip a few toggles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finish this game as a chill build a base and beat bosses game, then in a couple years make Valheim 2 where the pve mode has you raid/conquer a randomly generated "Britain" with a boat full of your best friends. And the pvp version is invading other people's bases.

As the game stands now a pvp focus seems like it would be complete trash but there's an extremely loud population of gamers out there that believe being able to curbstomp other players is the only way to make a game fun so they're not going to be able to dodge it forever, I just hope it doesn't happen to this game.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Finish this game as a chill build a base and beat bosses game

:hmmyes:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Buller posted:

How do I repair?

Building Hammer, it's the first recipe of every tab (looks like a hammer). For most things it needs a sheltered workshop (put a roof over it)

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

xzzy posted:

Finish this game as a chill build a base and beat bosses game, then in a couple years make Valheim 2 where the pve mode has you raid/conquer a randomly generated "Britain" with a boat full of your best friends. And the pvp version is invading other people's bases.

As the game stands now a pvp focus seems like it would be complete trash but there's an extremely loud population of gamers out there that believe being able to curbstomp other players is the only way to make a game fun so they're not going to be able to dodge it forever, I just hope it doesn't happen to this game.

:same:

The thing that most attracts me to this game is that it's a chill pve based survival and I've been waiting for something like that for a long time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

thark posted:

So uh

this haul was from ONE crypt...

(And of course not enough, but still.)

If you have friends and you want to build the cool weapons, its definitely not, the iron grind is real but at least its kinda fun? I like the swamps as an area now.

You need 80 for armour and a weapon

Another 20 for tools

35/30 for the greataxe/sledge

35 or so to upgrade your forge

However many chests you want (reinforced chests have bigger space and kinda own, tbh).

Then you have upgrades on top of that. Iron is a hell of a thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of swamps, is there anything you can do with those huge trees with green blobs in them?

Edit: Also here's the thing about iron: Not everyone needs an entire iron set. For example, if someone is playing archer, they really just need the bow. They can just keep upgrading the troll set.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2021

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Whack guck, get guck, make green-colored banner. (It hasn't unlocked any other recipes for me.)

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of swamps, is there anything you can do with those huge trees with green blobs in them?

The green things are called "guck sacks." Although that type of tree can't be cut down, you can lop the sacks off with an axe if you get close enough. I built a workbench and some wooden stairs right next to the tree, to be able to climb high enough.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Also here's the thing about iron: Not everyone needs an entire iron set. For example, if someone is playing archer, they really just need the bow. They can just keep upgrading the troll set.

Can you get past level 4 workbench? Don't let me know how, just a yes or no so i'm not spoiled :v:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Had a 4 hour session with some friends on a server from g-portal last night. Was a lot of fun to be able to split the work even if it meant using ~4x the resources. One person stayed back and mostly focused on base building while the rest of us went around and father needed resources. One thing I didn’t expect was how cramped the dungeons felt when storming them with four other people.

We had one small hiccup where as soon as we had the cores for a smelter and kiln I made a new chest to put all the raw ore we had collected and the chest just vanished with all our stuff in it. It was a few healthy stacks of tin and copper. Other than that we had a blast and I’m looking forward to more.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 13, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I was extremely pleased to find that proper framing of a house with studs and rafters really makes a difference in the durability and sturdiness of the structure. Especially against a wandering troll.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dogstile posted:

Can you get past level 4 workbench? Don't let me know how, just a yes or no so i'm not spoiled :v:

I'm sure you can, but I've just started smelting my iron, so I'm not sure I'm the best one to ask :v:

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Yes. Spoiler: build something to get up to the blobs and pickaxe them

dogstile posted:

Yes

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
This game.

I spent hours building a boat longhouse (and discovering that I needed to make the building sturdier through trial and error. I built the Karve inside my pretty jetty and it proceeded to get stuck in the ceiling hanging from midair ( I had to partially deconstruct the building ). I then in a fit of wanderlust set sail with poor preparation and Good Lord is the sailing and ocean cool. I am now across the sea close to the elder without appropriate gear and almost died to a troll.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The progression for this game is kind of out of whack. I ended up getting the antlers needed for the first guy before I was able to make a bow because you can't just tear up deer skins to make leather scraps. Then I made the pickaxe, went to the black forest to get copper like it explicitly told me to, and when I found it the game goes "sorry! You need to get a different item to smelt this...somewhere". I would have expected a charcoal kiln and furnace, what with the massive amounts of wood and stone I have, but not so.

It's just kind of weird because it really feels like you're designed to be making daisy chains of hobbit holes rather than singular bases due to how long it takes to go places and the requirements for repair workbenches to have a roof over them, so limiting things like smelting throws it off a lot.

Game good but I've been using the wiki a lot more than really necessary if the game already has a tutorial in it

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I wish there were 45/26 degree walls/trapezoids and also triangles. It is frustrating to make dormers and multi tiered roofs and have to use a big squares or rectangles and having half of the wall tile hanging in the interior and looking like an eyesore.

It would also help when doing a half-timbered style with framing and walls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just go exploring as new biomes open up, you'll discover the stuff you need. I wasn't even aware there was a wiki for this up already.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Hpw are you guys transporting items by water? I have build a Karve but I cant make a chest on it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Buller posted:

Hpw are you guys transporting items by water? I have build a Karve but I cant make a chest on it.

The Karve has a chest in it, it can hold 4 stacks. Use it to store the heaviest stuff you're going to transfer (usually ore)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Buller posted:

Took me awhile but there's totally storage on the karve and longship. Go towards the front of the ship and look down at the square storage thing

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Do karves and longships stay in place if the sails are up and you're off them? The first raft I built had drifted off into the sunset after I parked it and I'd rather not have the same happen to a fully stocked karve.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Kinda. I've had them stay still only to get physics hosed by storms or just physics hosed in general.

On the bright side if they get destroyed everything drops, even the materials to make it

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is there a way to share map information with others?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A small tip for those who hate carts. My friends and I are working on silver, and by sheer luck our swamp/black forest forward outpost that's turned into our major smelting hub also had a good sized mountain biome nearby. So we set up a portal, filled up several chests full of silver, built a cart and got it down the mountain.

It was a nightmare. Wolves wiped out my friends before I could help them. We recovered everything easily but then had to get the cart home through hilly black forest terrain. The second go around was just as bad, with every mistaken use of the hoe/pickaxe causing as many problems as it solved.

And then my buddy had a wild idea. He and I enabled PvP. I filled my inventory full of silver -- I think I had 2000 kg of the stuff on me. He used the abyssal harpoon on me and started to run towards base.

It worked. I slid across the landscape like I was skating. We covered more ground in 5 seconds than we could with the cart on difficult terrain in 5 minutes. He dragged me right up to the smelter and I dropped off all the ore.

So yeah gently caress carts, load up your friends with ore and loot, harpoon them and drag them like you're reeling in the biggest catch of your life. You can't pull someone up terrain you can't run (not sprint) up, but it's pretty easy to landscape those issues away.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 13, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
It's not possible to dig tunnels, is it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a PSA: You need to get the smithy to level 4 to unlock the next tier of spears. It doesn't unlock automatically when you get iron like the rest of the weapons.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Go out and fight and kill bosses, bring glory to Odin!

Me: Spends the last 2 hours building a nice Norsk house:

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Sankis posted:

Kinda. I've had them stay still only to get physics hosed by storms or just physics hosed in general.

On the bright side if they get destroyed everything drops, even the materials to make it

Except they might drop at the bottom of the water inaccessibly. RIP my longboat and in particular the iron nails used to make it, which I didn't have enough iron on hand to replace (said longboat being used to fetch said iron). At least the cargo dropped as a couple of floating boxes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

thark posted:

Except they might drop at the bottom of the water inaccessibly. RIP my longboat and in particular the iron nails used to make it, which I didn't have enough iron on hand to replace (said longboat being used to fetch said iron). At least the cargo dropped as a couple of floating boxes.

If it dropped in shallow enough water, you can sometimes get deep enough to grab it by jumping in from some elevated terrain or a structure nearby.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So if I want to run a dedicated server can I move my locally saved world onto a new pc then run that saved world as the server?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Midgetskydiver posted:

So if I want to run a dedicated server can I move my locally saved world onto a new pc then run that saved world as the server?

Yup, default save location for your worlds: C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Uuuuuuugh I just died a half a world away as I decided to hop off my boat for some tin before heading back home and naturally got surprised by a Troll and smashed to death before I could gradually get away in the Karve. My spawnpoint is also at a shack I made close to the second boss that I was scouting out so I don't even have a single piece of gear or materials with me. loving hell this is going to be a lovely corpserun through an entire continent.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I had the same happen when I got cornered after being cocky in one too many burial chambers, so I died somewhere in the middle surrounded by skeletons, then promptly croaked when I thought i could get it back with just a club.

Learned the value of keeping your older gear around for corpse runs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

I had the same happen when I got cornered after being cocky in one too many burial chambers, so I died somewhere in the middle surrounded by skeletons, then promptly croaked when I thought i could get it back with just a club.

Learned the value of keeping your older gear around for corpse runs.

Does your last tombstone disappear if you die? Meaning do I lose everything if I die trying to run back to my tombstone?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

explosivo posted:

Does your last tombstone disappear if you die? Meaning do I lose everything if I die trying to run back to my tombstone?

Nah, I've had several gravestones going on at once before. Don't know if there's an upper limit, though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Badly Jester posted:

Nah, I've had several gravestones going on at once before. Don't know if there's an upper limit, though.

Okay cool, that's good to know at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

It will only show your last death marker though, so just to be sure always mark your original marker with your good poo poo on it