Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bony tony posted:

That's the one that made me stop playing Immortals for, at time of writing, a month. gently caress that

You can stop playing Immortals for a really long time. It’ll always be there when you’re ready to come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Necrothatcher posted:

The vast majority of video games cater to providing that power fantasy. There's easily room for a small minority of titles that reflect morality and reality as it is rather than how people wish it was.

I mean, people have been debating "morality as it is" for thousands of years, they're going to be very excited to find out that someone has apparently nailed it down, and probably slightly surprised its a videogame developer.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
So my friend got me The Last of Us for Christmas after years of me saying I would play it, and while I think the writing and acting is pretty good, I kind of think the actual gameplay is not that good? Granted, I'm still very early in and maybe I'm jumping in on a sacred cow all too soon but, er, yeah?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedgehog Pie posted:

So my friend got me The Last of Us for Christmas after years of me saying I would play it, and while I think the writing and acting is pretty good, I kind of think the actual gameplay is not that good? Granted, I'm still very early in and maybe I'm jumping in on a sacred cow all too soon but, er, yeah?

I couldn't stick with it after playing the sequel first, it seems like a good effort that's just showing its age on the gameplay end.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

posting from two pages ago to say a) oh my god someone remembers these games (I have both of them in a trunk in my living room with the rest of my snes rpg collection) and b) gently caress you for making me remember how bullshit they were half the time

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I couldn't stick with it after playing the sequel first, it seems like a good effort that's just showing its age on the gameplay end.

I think having played MGSV to death hurts my perception on the gameplay front. For sure, MGSV has a total debacle of a narrative, but its gameplay is very fluid, readable and enjoyable for the most part.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think having played MGSV to death hurts my perception on the gameplay front. For sure, MGSV has a total debacle of a narrative, but its gameplay is very fluid, readable and enjoyable for the most part.

Oh yeah, for a two year difference MGSV just feels amazingly more tuned and fluid. There's still things I think it does better as a stealth/action hybrid than anything else, even TLoU2 setting up a similar dynamic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

posting from two pages ago to say a) oh my god someone remembers these games (I have both of them in a trunk in my living room with the rest of my snes rpg collection) and b) gently caress you for making me remember how bullshit they were half the time

I admire the balls on the devteam though.

[Insanely difficult puzzle that takes 100+ moves in a best case optimal solution]
:hmmno:"Seems a little hard."
:cool: "I'll add a NPC that tells you it's the most difficult puzzle in the universe."
:hmmyes:"Ship it."

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Phigs posted:

It works for Witcher because it's more about the world than the developer just making GBS threads on the player. It doesn't feel like "surprise motherfucker" as much as it's like "yeah that's just how things are around here sometimes".

Also, it's hardly like every quest is a nasty swerve. There's plenty of decisions in the Witcher 3 that have a right and wrong answer, and plenty more that are simply a matter of personal preference.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I admire the balls on the devteam though.

[Insanely difficult puzzle that takes 100+ moves in a best case optimal solution]
:hmmno:"Seems a little hard."
:cool: "I'll add a NPC that tells you it's the most difficult puzzle in the universe."
:hmmyes:"Ship it."
Lufia and Lufia II are pretty weird to look at. They came out just under two years apart, the first one is a bog-standard SNES RPG with random encounters and a bare-bones combat system, and the second one vastly improved the graphics, sound and story as well as introduced something like 4-5 new gameplay elements at once that most game series would have slowly introduced over the course of as many installments. They really must have put in the work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

loving Tomb Raider.

I like the puzzles in the reboot series because the majority of them are not "solve this intricate puzzle to open this door" but "use physics to smash the door open". The puzzles in the Uncharted series is really bad though. And it's made even worse that TLOU2 shows that Naught Dog are capable of creating good physics based puzzles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At the end of Lost Legacy there's a well-designed and pretty challenging shadow puzzle that was almost totally ruined by Nadine giving out unsolicited hints. Shut the gently caress up girl I got this just let me think!!

I appreciated that Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a separate difficulty slider for puzzles so that you wouldn't get any free hints.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The TR reboots have a three-point scale of how often and how detailed do you want Lara's barks about what she needs to do right now.

Uncharted 4 had a combination lock you could brute force (if you play video games like you're doing free QA :v:) and when you're exactly one step from the right answer Nate gives up and forces the story forward

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

At the end of Lost Legacy there's a well-designed and pretty challenging shadow puzzle that was almost totally ruined by Nadine giving out unsolicited hints.

That shadow puzzle was garbage. I let Nadine solve it for me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ever since Silent Hill 2 I've wished all games had separate sliders for combat and puzzles, but like 4 of them do :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Weird 90’s series Cyberia had that but wouldn’t let you set both to easy, which when you’re eight, is a major bummer.

E:oh man, they’re on GOG. I’m tempted to go destroy my nostalgia.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Crowetron posted:

Ever since Silent Hill 2 I've wished all games had separate sliders for combat and puzzles, but like 4 of them do :(

Was it Silent Hill 3 that required you to sort all of Shakespeare's tragedies in chronological order? That came out my first year in college and more or less single-handedly justified my English degree.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like it's my own fault for playing runescape but there is one puzzle that famously took over an hour even if you copied a step by step guide with the correct answer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pokemon turns 25 this year and people seem to forget that it isn't 25 years in america. i don't know why it bothers me so much when people go "i've been playing pokemon for 25 years!" but no, no you haven't

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Cyberpunk 2077: When you're driving, the GPS line type thing in the minimap is supposed to guide you where to turn and such, but because the minimap is too zoomed in, you often miss your turn and have to circle back. It's a real bummer.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

Pokemon turns 25 this year and people seem to forget that it isn't 25 years in america. i don't know why it bothers me so much when people go "i've been playing pokemon for 25 years!" but no, no you haven't

I wouldn’t even talk to people who do this. And by this I mean people who play Pokémon.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

GTA Online is a mess for a lot of reasons but it's honestly really impressive that Rockstar was like "the world record for this race is four seconds, no way somebody cheated at it. It's four seconds. This one is seven seconds"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

oldpainless posted:

I wouldn’t even talk to people who do this. And by this I mean people who play Pokémon.

Oh sna

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Was it Silent Hill 3 that required you to sort all of Shakespeare's tragedies in chronological order? That came out my first year in college and more or less single-handedly justified my English degree.

Yeah, SH3 owns.

bony tony posted:

Cyberpunk 2077: When you're driving, the GPS line type thing in the minimap is supposed to guide you where to turn and such, but because the minimap is too zoomed in, you often miss your turn and have to circle back. It's a real bummer.

This especially sucks because motorcycles are usually pretty fun to drive but they have brutally slow reversing like in all games (and real life, I guess)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Karma Tornado posted:

GTA Online is a mess for a lot of reasons but it's honestly really impressive that Rockstar was like "the world record for this race is four seconds, no way somebody cheated at it. It's four seconds. This one is seven seconds"

I had a few top 10 WW scores for Max Payne 3 arcade mode in the week before the leaderboards just became “either this guy shot literally one million enemies in a twenty minute level, or he cheated” stuff. It was kind of a bummer to get pushed out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Streets of Rage 4 leaderboards are all filled with cheaters, too. 1 trillion+ top scores when a really good stage clear on Mania will get you like 50,000 points.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bony tony posted:

AND ANOTHER THING

The minimap is pretty good for giving you situational awareness, but there's no way to look at the map screen and see the same thing you get in the minimap.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Karma Tornado posted:

It really is amazing how little Rockstar gave a gently caress about cheating in GTA:O. It is and always has been rampant, bans are rare and often hit people who the hackers were harassing instead of the hackers themselves with no way to appeal them, and the insane number of massive money-pits in the game made it more economically feasible to just buy a new copy of the game if you get banned for hacking than to even do the pay2win route.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Grunch Worldflower posted:

It really is amazing how little Rockstar gave a gently caress about cheating in GTA:O. It is and always has been rampant, bans are rare and often hit people who the hackers were harassing instead of the hackers themselves with no way to appeal them, and the insane number of massive money-pits in the game made it more economically feasible to just buy a new copy of the game if you get banned for hacking than to even do the pay2win route.

I now play it by loading into the single player and going to an invite only server because I like the dicking around part of the game but didn't like any of the story characters. so I basically do the stunt races by myself and the occasional mission where I wind up queueing with a like level 150 psycho teleporting all over the place armed with some kind of laser gun but if I play on a normal server I'm instantly run over by a supercar blasting its horn on loop dropping explosives out the window

and that's frankly still better than having to play as Trevor

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I played the Resident Evil 2 remake a few months back (my first RE game) and finally just played the RE 3 remake after it went on sale.

Most of my issues with RE3 are the same as RE2 (the main character moves super slow, zombies require an absurd amount of headshots to go down, and like many games, the boss fights are the worst part), but something happened a few times that I don't remember from the previous game. After shooting a zombie in the head a bunch of times, it finally falls down, I then wait a bit and shoot it in the head again to see if it is one of those that will get back up. Usually, either nothing happens, or the zombie starts to move and then I have to shoot it in the head a few more times. Multiple times though, after shooting a zombie until it falls down, I shoot it again and nothing happens, I then walk over the zombie to go through the doorway and the zombie pops up and attacks me. So, evidently there are some zombies that will play dead even while being shot and just wait for me to walk by? Unless there is something that I am missing, that just seems like a really unfair game mechanic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

jjack229 posted:

I played the Resident Evil 2 remake a few months back (my first RE game) and finally just played the RE 3 remake after it went on sale.

Most of my issues with RE3 are the same as RE2 (the main character moves super slow, zombies require an absurd amount of headshots to go down, and like many games, the boss fights are the worst part), but something happened a few times that I don't remember from the previous game. After shooting a zombie in the head a bunch of times, it finally falls down, I then wait a bit and shoot it in the head again to see if it is one of those that will get back up. Usually, either nothing happens, or the zombie starts to move and then I have to shoot it in the head a few more times. Multiple times though, after shooting a zombie until it falls down, I shoot it again and nothing happens, I then walk over the zombie to go through the doorway and the zombie pops up and attacks me. So, evidently there are some zombies that will play dead even while being shot and just wait for me to walk by? Unless there is something that I am missing, that just seems like a really unfair game mechanic.

They take a bit to regenerate. You can tell they're dead for real because they'll stop bleeding and make a different noise. Best thing is to shoot out their legs and then go ham with the knife

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Karma Tornado posted:

I now play it by loading into the single player and going to an invite only server because I like the dicking around part of the game but didn't like any of the story characters. so I basically do the stunt races by myself and the occasional mission where I wind up queueing with a like level 150 psycho teleporting all over the place armed with some kind of laser gun but if I play on a normal server I'm instantly run over by a supercar blasting its horn on loop dropping explosives out the window

and that's frankly still better than having to play as Trevor

I mean, a lingering painful death from a rare disease is better than playing as Trevor.

And yeah, public servers are brought down by the fact that it's fun to be the unstoppable rear end in a top hat in GTA, running around and blowing everything up and causing mayhem, but it sucks being one of the hapless victims. Heisting with friends kicks rear end though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It seems like you’re discouraged from killing enemies in the remakes by how tanky they are.

If you know where you’re going it’s better to shoot them enough to stagger them and then slip by.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

moosecow333 posted:

It seems like you’re discouraged from killing enemies in the remakes by how tanky they are.

If you know where you’re going it’s better to shoot them enough to stagger them and then slip by.

The real secret is to shoot a leg off then laugh as they slowly wiggle around on the floor, you can still be grabbed but that's your own fault if it happens then.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

moosecow333 posted:

I remember doing that a bit in RE2, where I would shoot them in the ankle and then walk around them to clean out the room. I don't know if my aim is now worse, but in RE3 I wasted quite a few bullets early on trying to take out their legs with little success, so I just went back to headshots. The RE2 levels also seemed more open, so I could walk around them. A lot of the encounters in RE3 were stairwells or tight hallways where I was never going to make it around the zombie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, it's tempting in RE2Make to want to dome every monster you see but the game play is set up to reward you for going fast, incapacitate monsters long enough to move through an area and then get the poo poo you need. Plus their loving heads are seemingly made of rebar. At least until you get some unlocks, kneecap those bitches and then move on. Knife them once on the ground if you're sole aim is to kill them.

If someone really just wants to gently caress up some zombies and go visceral, RE3Make might be more up their alley along with maybe a few of the older games like 5 and 6 that are more action oriented. RE4 strikes a really good balance between the two and is also awesome so maybe that one.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Funnily enough, InRangeTV uploaded a video on the VP70 (Leon's handgun in RE2, called Matilda in later games and the remake for some reason). The gun is noticably less powerful than other similarly-sized 9mm pistols, so there's kind of a real world explanation as to why even headshots aren't doing the damage you'd expect.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Going back to the Mass Effect morality system for a minute, as someone who has recently played all of them in sequence I am very curious to see whether they'll leave in the "punch a female reporter in the face because shes saying things I don't like" response for their new shiny remaster. I know they've already talked about removing the gratuitous rear end shots of the female characters, which is....good I guess? Why were they in there in the first place? You get a character giving you some dialogue about goals for the next mission and technology they're researching and BOOM, camera goes right for the rear end and lingers. Which teenage boy thought that was acceptable?

Really does make Bioware look like a bunch of creeps, its a space opera, not a misogyny simulator. The reporter dialogues are particularly egregious as she's being very pressing in a way that is definitely going to make players pick the renegade option in the hope Shepard tells her to gently caress off, which would be fair. Straight up sucker punching her is nowhere near as funny as the developers think it is and its pretty embarrassing to see.

Watch as they scrub their game clean for a "modern audience", when in reality it was far from acceptable when the games were released.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I understand what you're saying but on the other hand it's kind of weird to single out punching a reporter as being over the line in a game series where you can do at least two genocides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
In the context of a space opera, making wide ranging decisions that affect the future of a species fits within the subject matter and is a common trope of the genre.

Punching women in the face because you don't like what they're saying does not.