Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Nitevision posted:

Wc3 had some of the singularly best visual design of any video game ever made and still has an identifiable influence on designs in contemporary games. Anything with that expressive, slightly chunky color-block style, like Fortnite and Valorant, owes that the Wc3's artists.

The very first time I saw this poo poo I knew Reforged was done for lmao

That California Raisin is really rockin' that stache and flattop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You don't wear that hair and that stache and stay level one for long

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Grubby posted a video last week that I just now caught in my feed.

He goes over the promises and expectations of Reforged and discusses where the game is now. He talks a lot about wc3champions but also says he had some contact with Blizzard in terms of game direction and hasn't heard from them in a long time. Game is probably dead internally or the one dude they have trying to fix stuff hasn't gotten a patch out yet.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Grubby posted a video last week that I just now caught in my feed.

He goes over the promises and expectations of Reforged and discusses where the game is now. He talks a lot about wc3champions but also says he had some contact with Blizzard in terms of game direction and hasn't heard from them in a long time. Game is probably dead internally or the one dude they have trying to fix stuff hasn't gotten a patch out yet.

The best part of this video is the "bugs at launch section" around 16:00 with the slow spinning cyclones and the volcano erupting mini-volcanoes

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

the volcano erupting mini-volcanoes
That sounds uncharacteristically badass for WC3, they probably should've left that in. Unless those mini volcanoes spawned ever-smaller volcanoes like a fractal of molten earth, in which case they DEFINITELY should've left it in.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Would anyone go with his ult over a second lvl 3 skill any other way

I think I'd rather have D&D than volcano

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would you forsake the chance of having a small rock tossed right at the firelord, stunning him and ending the ultimate early?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PaybackJack posted:

The team was literally dismantled, those that didn't move to different teams were laid off.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
There's no longer a timer on Hexed targets. How long will this effect last? Who knows!

If my name was attached to Reforged in a supervisory or managerial capacity, I would challenge myself to a game of Minecraft atop the highest building I could gain access to. Not because of the Hex thing, that is like the absolute loving least of their crimes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I booted up battlenet recently to play some WC3 custom content.

I was- loving livid when I realized that I couldn't do that anymore.

Is this really how it is? I really can't play classic WC3 anymore? I HAVE to buy reforged?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Klaus88 posted:

Is this really how it is? I really can't play classic WC3 anymore? I HAVE to buy reforged?

You don't have to buy but you do have to dl the bloatware

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Klaus88 posted:

Think of it like playing Starcraft after Remastered came out, except if Remastered tore out a lot of extra features and made the menus horrible and basically made everything worse.

You're all playing on the same version of the game. You just haven't paid for the shiny new graphics, is all. But yes, if you wanna play online, you have to use the Reforged Client. Fortunately, you can :filez: older versions of the client for offline play, like custom campaigns (well, the ones that aren't being made for Reforged in the vain hope that someday they'll add that feature back in).

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Oh boy Diablo Resurrection, after they bought so much faith with Reforged!

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
You'd think they'd at least announce continued support for Reforged. They've, with no exaggeration, flipped to the shovelware model..

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I recently installed WarCraft III on my computer using my old version 1.0 disc. Does anybody here have patch links?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Apparently its the Tony Hawk 1+2 team doing the D2 remaster so I'm going to just hope they silently slip in and fix WC3 but I doubt it

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm pretty sure they've abandoned Reforged. MAYBE another team takes it over at some point, but I wouldn't expect Blizzard to put a lot of effort into salvaging it at this point.

Regardless, the D2 Resurrected isn't gonna be a repeat of Reforged, I feel. For one thing, it's a Remaster, not an Overhaul.

Think Starcraft Remastered, not Warcraft 3 Reforged.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm pretty sure they've abandoned Reforged. MAYBE another team takes it over at some point, but I wouldn't expect Blizzard to put a lot of effort into salvaging it at this point.

Regardless, the D2 Resurrected isn't gonna be a repeat of Reforged, I feel. For one thing, it's a Remaster, not an Overhaul.

Think Starcraft Remastered, not Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Quotin this for later lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Starcraft Remaster is perfectly fine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quotin this for later lol

I asked my friend "how are they gonna gently caress up the Diablo 2 remaster" and a minute later...

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1362930246165667840?s=20

Luckily it has the wc3 option to play with the old graphics.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
*Grunt*

I remember being constantly amazed at just the sheer echoing variety and depth present in WC3's custom scene.

And Blizzard decided to kill all of that.

I don't have the words.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

they """didn't have a choice""" because they """had""" to move to server-side hosting instead of p2p hosting please do not point out that p2p hosting was working just fine before they decided to gently caress it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No, but you see if the host dropped the game died. There was absolutely no way to transfer the host mid game, they HAD to host the games to solve this issue. It's not like you could just assign every player a back up priority enabling the game to go on and people to reconnect or anything.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i have many memories of hosts leaving games and things continuing on just fine, though?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think it was Starcraft where someone starts lagging so the game pauses and waits and everyone spams chat to make them drop

Don’t remember if WCIII had that back in the day

Also, the old “turn off allied victory” maneuver was definitely in SC and there is a checkbox in WCIII but I don’t think it was ever enabled for versus play

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I think it was Starcraft where someone starts lagging so the game pauses and waits and everyone spams chat to make them drop

I remember doing that in WC3, but I don't remember if it actually worked or not.

It seems that the most obvious thing to do with a D2 rerelease is just to leave the original version the gently caress alone. Mixing the two versions of the game and getting rid of the old is the root of 90% of Reforged issues.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I asked my friend "how are they gonna gently caress up the Diablo 2 remaster" and a minute later...

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1362930246165667840?s=20

Luckily it has the wc3 option to play with the old graphics.

The character model looks so loving bland, jesus.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I also can't remember if spamming chat made a difference, but it was definitely something that happened.
Not sure why people bothered, since I probably could've counted the number of games where someone started lagging and the game DIDN'T sit there until they disconnected on one hand. Why even have a lag-out screen if 99.9% of the time it's just a delayed way to say someone lost their internet?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

D2 won’t be an adequate port unless they put in a delay going into Duriels chamber.

Playing hardcore on 56k back in the day seems wild to me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PaybackJack posted:

The character model looks so loving bland, jesus.

I wish I had a screenshot of the character select screen because it made me lol

George H.W. oval office posted:

D2 won’t be an adequate port unless they put in a delay going into Duriels chamber.

I never had dial-up and that would've still been a dice roll.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wish I had a screenshot of the character select screen because it made me lol

the thing I immediately noticed for the selection screen was that they took away the Sorceress' eyes glowing! like, what the gently caress?!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

They're really not going to say anything about War3: Reforged this weekend?

Or ever again, probably?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Elephunk posted:

They're really not going to say anything about War3: Reforged this weekend?

Or ever again, probably?

Warcraft 3 is dead

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Also, the old “turn off allied victory” maneuver was definitely in SC and there is a checkbox in WCIII but I don’t think it was ever enabled for versus play

IIRC allied victory shenanigans were disabled in ladder but could be enabled in customs from WorldEdit. So like, a 4v4 melee custom could be hosed around with, but not a 4v4 you queued for.

I may be wrong, because I mainly know this from the early PvP-centric open RPGs where there was no save/load and you "won" by ascending to godhood and crushing everyone with your max level hero. Simply ally with everyone until you have a decent lead, uncheck that box and go to town!

Those old ORPGs were the best customs, absolutely unbalanced garbage but way more dynamic than DotA. The format continued evolving too even though no one ever played them once loading systems became popular, I played one a little before Reforged where there were discrete towns you could take over by either doing quests or killing all the guards and you could capture mines and stuff.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Big Mad Drongo posted:

IIRC allied victory shenanigans were disabled in ladder but could be enabled in customs from WorldEdit. So like, a 4v4 melee custom could be hosed around with, but not a 4v4 you queued for.

I may be wrong, because I mainly know this from the early PvP-centric open RPGs where there was no save/load and you "won" by ascending to godhood and crushing everyone with your max level hero. Simply ally with everyone until you have a decent lead, uncheck that box and go to town!

Those old ORPGs were the best customs, absolutely unbalanced garbage but way more dynamic than DotA. The format continued evolving too even though no one ever played them once loading systems became popular, I played one a little before Reforged where there were discrete towns you could take over by either doing quests or killing all the guards and you could capture mines and stuff.

my favorite was one called Heroes and Empires, which was sort of a fusion between the simcity-style empire building games and the open RPGs you're describing, but both at the same time. a player could be either a Hero (of various classes, stats, talent builds, etc.) or an Empire (with a city that occasionally caught fire, balancing taxes and food with expansion and tech, et cetera). Empires could hire Heroes (paying them a salary of gold + xp) to protect them from creep raids or go raid people. Early game was heavily skewed towards the heroes (w/ empire units like spearmen that were barely worth building) but once you teched up and hit Industrial-era or especially Atomic or Digital age stuff you could make an air army that would clown all over the map's NPC boss (nevermind any heroes still kicking around)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

George H.W. oval office posted:

Should also put his charge attack back in. And the Iron Maiden gotcha in act 4.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Radio Free Kobold posted:

my favorite was one called Heroes and Empires, which was sort of a fusion between the simcity-style empire building games and the open RPGs you're describing, but both at the same time. a player could be either a Hero (of various classes, stats, talent builds, etc.) or an Empire (with a city that occasionally caught fire, balancing taxes and food with expansion and tech, et cetera). Empires could hire Heroes (paying them a salary of gold + xp) to protect them from creep raids or go raid people. Early game was heavily skewed towards the heroes (w/ empire units like spearmen that were barely worth building) but once you teched up and hit Industrial-era or especially Atomic or Digital age stuff you could make an air army that would clown all over the map's NPC boss (nevermind any heroes still kicking around)

Yeah I remember playing Heroes and empires, it ruled. The one I'm thinking of had a similar hero/empire vibe, except everyone started as a hero and by taking towns gained access to units and techs and could become an empire. I think after a certain time hell literally broke loose and demons started wrecking everyone's poo poo as a sort of soft timer to keep things moving. Shame I forgot the name/left the file on an old hard drive.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
This thread is going to be moving to Retro Games.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

This thread is going to be moving to Retro Games.

Pretty sad news getting Blizzcon and now this back to back

Someone please check on me later tonight

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Starcraft Remaster is perfectly fine

I enjoy it a ton. I thought they did an incredible job of prettying up the base game and not loving with it otherwise. The normal game looks kinda blah now to me. Complete different philosophy at play compared to Age2 DE which I also love. Honestly, I prefer DE but they're both highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Warcraft 3 is dead

All I want these clowns to do is release an updated version of the old game that can run normal on modern computers, they can even charge me money, throw it on GOG whatever.
Is that so much to ask?