Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I’m also going to case pepperoni while I watch this to make sure I get the full experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I like anything that doesn't have "speedrun" in the title. Here's one I watched yesterday while I was casing pepperoni:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBtXaqyfYc&t=543s

He also recently started a channel with just selected single runs, that are particulary fun, as well as general discussion videos on stuff like card choices and how to get particular achivements.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ig-JZyQoVpkOlyz9ODktg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWa51cYYuE

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Yoshi Wins posted:

I’m also going to case pepperoni while I watch this to make sure I get the full experience.

My wife says the house now smells dank AF. First time trying curing meats at room temp, so super nervous.

What do you all do when you have a deck that's probably going to clear act 3 but really probably not going to beat the heart? Quit? I'm often going through act 3 hoping I die and it's not that fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well I'm not good enough to clear consistently yet so any clear of act 3 in any form is a win.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife says the house now smells dank AF. First time trying curing meats at room temp, so super nervous.

What do you all do when you have a deck that's probably going to clear act 3 but really probably not going to beat the heart? Quit? I'm often going through act 3 hoping I die and it's not that fun.

I just skip the keys and just go for the act 3 boss, but then I just play dailies and low ascension for relaxation and very seldom try and challenge myself and climb the ascension ladder.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh, yeah I should've made it clear: I'm doing a heart kill ladder

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Ah, in that case I guess it depends. If there was at least possibility to beat heart with a lucky draw order, even if unlikely, I'd probably go for it, since at least I could hopefully learn something from the loss, unless I was really pressed for time for some reason. In the latter case I'd just abandon the run and start over.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

In a YouTube video Jorbs briefly mentioned playing Among Us with other content creators. A question was raised about how he got to know the other players in those streams and his response was “quality people tend to attract quality people.”

When I decided nah, not gonna watch this stuff anymore.

that sounds like a joke

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 12, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Try and see how far I can get anyway. You get enough shots at new cards during Act 3 to shore up the difference. Sometimes you lock into an entropic brew on the fight before Shield/Spear and then luck sack into a 2 power potions or ghost in the jar and that puts you over the top. You never know.

That or take ridiculously aggressive pathing and then die to elites/act 3 bosses.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What's the funniest way you died? I had slime boss as the act 1 boss. I went to a question mark right before the slime boss, but then got called away. When I came back, I saw a big slime on the screen, assumed I was on slime boss, and unloaded my attacks. It hit me for 18 and I died, lol.

Then there was that time I shared a few months ago. My kids and I were down to 1 health, with two hallway fights, an elite, and a question mark before the next fire. We planned and schemed and somehow manage to make it to the question mark. It was the spinny goblin wheel. We all looked at each other and burst into laughter because we just KNEW what it was gonna land on. That was a fun death: shanked by a goblin carny

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

One time I had a Pyramid and died to the act 2 slaver taskmaster encounter because my hand was 9 wounds and a Masterful Stab that cost like 12

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Accidentally exhausting my entire deck with Fiend Fire against the Heart while trying to setup a drop kick infinite.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Played Blasphemy because, "Worst comes to worst I can just dupe pot this Conclude."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Patrick Spens posted:

Played Blasphemy because, "Worst comes to worst I can just dupe pot this Conclude."

That got me in one of my early Watcher games. Right as I clicked it I was like "wait, is the first one just gonna... Yup." :cripes:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

Played Blasphemy because it would get back my Flurries and then I could do Eruption to bring them down to single digits and finish with my Flurries again.

Eruption draws 2 cards due to Rushdown, hitting the end of the draw pile and shuffling the Flurries back in. Neither card drawn is an attack.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Just got my A17 Ascension on Watcher with a Neow Blasphemy deck. It was a little too slow to go for the heart I think, but it felt good to womp the Time Eater with 2 81 Through Violence + a 160+ Windmill Strike on turn 11

I had 4 Apparition and an Omniscience, plus Spirit Shield and Nilry's Codex, so I was basically just trying to generate three attacks per turn to proc Shuriken while also using whatever Defensive move stalled most effectively while I saved up to pump up the combo damage

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
The current daily is a fun lesson in the power of exhaust synergy. Thanks to runic pyramid, letter opener, deep breath, shrug and body slam I had fun infinite combo going.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

metachronos posted:

The current daily is a fun lesson in the power of exhaust synergy. Thanks to runic pyramid, letter opener, deep breath, shrug and body slam I had fun infinite combo going.

Nice. I wasn't able to go infinite, but I did perfect 11 of the 12 bosses with my kids doing all the math

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, today's daily is just absolutely poo poo-your-pants bonkers. I massively improved on my highest daily score and highest rank without even trying.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think i watched jorbs like a year or something ago when he seemed pretty receptive to questions and suggestions and while i think theres a post of me saying he was a little grating at times i really liked the way he described his thinking and process. hes clearly a pretty intelligent guy. but yeah he can be an rear end in a top hat sometimes too i dunno

Various Meat Products posted:

One time I had a Pyramid and died to the act 2 slaver taskmaster encounter because my hand was 9 wounds and a Masterful Stab that cost like 12

i somehow ended up with snecko eye and runic pyramid one time and i forget if i clicked it by accident (i must have done a boss relic swap? this was ages ago) or was an idiot but like the very next fight i drew a hand of all three cost defends and strikes or something and was playing one of those per turn as three birds took their sweet loving time tearing me apart

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
After watching Terrence review his runs with jorbs and BL he really talked up Beam Cell, a card I rarely picked. Just grabbed and upgraded two on a heart run (that was pretty orb heavy, even) and beat the heart on A8.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

After watching Terrence review his runs with jorbs and BL he really talked up Beam Cell, a card I rarely picked. Just grabbed and upgraded two on a heart run (that was pretty orb heavy, even) and beat the heart on A8.

Yeah, I've been watching Terrence a bunch and I love how often he grabs those 0 cost cards and all for one. It's really fun to watch someone play the game completely differently and do fairly well.

He takes a really long time to play though.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, I've been watching Terrence a bunch and I love how often he grabs those 0 cost cards and all for one. It's really fun to watch someone play the game completely differently and do fairly well.

He takes a really long time to play though.

Yeah I love when I'm watching a streamer and they pick an early card I would never pick. Another tool for my box.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Do you ever find yourself wishing you could be offered some HOT GARBAGE to beef up your painstakingly-crafted deck?
Do you ever wish you could lose valuable seconds each and every turn?

This advertisement brought tot you by Nilry's codex

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Do you ever find yourself wishing you could be offered some HOT GARBAGE to beef up your painstakingly-crafted deck?

All purchases are final. Health non refundable. May not be exchanged for necronomicon.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
Having a rough time beating the heart with silent. I feel like it is pretty easy to get an attack heavy (well, shiv heavy) build to act 4, but it just falls apart on the heart. I managed to get a wraith form in my last run but was dead before I drew it. I think taking every blade dance offered might have been a mistake.

I also tried to give poison builds a shot, but I lose way before act 4. I only started playing recently so don't have much experience when poison was the main playstyle on silent (at least that is the impression I get). I'm probably over indexing my last few runs since I more clearly remember them, but with poison it feels like catalyst or bust, but with attack heavy builds there are several relics that enable the playstyle.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

without any further evidence i'm going to assume that whatever you think of as a poison build has way too many poison cards. while catalyst is the suplex slam dunk pick you can honestly get there with just some deadly poisons and really good defensive tools and scaling.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Malaise and piercing wail are also very strong pickups versus the heart as they can neuter the multi-attacks and weaken the single attacks. Well-laid plans help you have them when you need them.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

deltah posted:

Having a rough time beating the heart with silent. I feel like it is pretty easy to get an attack heavy (well, shiv heavy) build to act 4, but it just falls apart on the heart. I managed to get a wraith form in my last run but was dead before I drew it. I think taking every blade dance offered might have been a mistake.

I also tried to give poison builds a shot, but I lose way before act 4. I only started playing recently so don't have much experience when poison was the main playstyle on silent (at least that is the impression I get). I'm probably over indexing my last few runs since I more clearly remember them, but with poison it feels like catalyst or bust, but with attack heavy builds there are several relics that enable the playstyle.

Post your run summary screen.

Heart losses aren't always due to the deck. Tight play, and resources (life, potions) that you have left when you get there are important. The heart is hard, it kills the best players, and will kill you, too.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

without any further evidence i'm going to assume that whatever you think of as a poison build has way too many poison cards. while catalyst is the suplex slam dunk pick you can honestly get there with just some deadly poisons and really good defensive tools and scaling.

this seems quite likely.

also "pretty easy to get to act4" is a strong overstatement. it's more like "if I don't get curb stomped in act 1 and get some pretty good relics, act 3 is generally not a problem".

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
If you can beat act 2 you can get to the act three boss.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Hackan Slash posted:

If you can beat act 2 you can get to the act three boss.

Reptomancer exists and is a separate challenge. Sometimes giant head ends runs.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

Post your run summary screen.

This so hard. I love doing a deep dive, nothing does more to put a growing spire slayer over.

deltah posted:

this seems quite likely.

also "pretty easy to get to act4" is a strong overstatement. it's more like "if I don't get curb stomped in act 1 and get some pretty good relics, act 3 is generally not a problem".

Also yeah this. I made a new save file and have died 3 times in a row as silent. My 8 Year old kids watched a recording of my run, and they were like “yeah, you did some really stupid stuff because you were clearly bored off your rear end.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TacoNight posted:

Malaise and piercing wail are also very strong pickups versus the heart as they can neuter the multi-attacks and weaken the single attacks. Well-laid plans help you have them when you need them.

Just don't fall into the trap of using Piercing Wail on a buff turn. The Heart doesn't cleanse all debuffs, just -Strength. So when you Wail it to -x it will cleanse itself back to 0, then it will apply the strength gain it would normally get, and then the second Wail debuff will fall off and it will gain 6 or 8 more.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sometimes it offers you Wraith Form though and you get to live through the Act 2 boss so that it can kill you when you encounter the Act 3 elites. :negative:

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Finally pulled down the common sense achievment.
Game just kept force feeding me Shrugs in act 3.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

KonvexKonkav posted:

Sometimes it offers you Wraith Form though and you get to live through the Act 2 boss so that it can kill you when you encounter the Act 3 elites. :negative:

Yeah, it's a really good relic in that it can often give you exactly what your deck needs. I just lump it with frozen eye and runic dome in the "makes me think too much and too long so now the game isnt fun" category.

Jedit posted:

Just don't fall into the trap of using Piercing Wail on a buff turn. The Heart doesn't cleanse all debuffs, just -Strength. So when you Wail it to -x it will cleanse itself back to 0, then it will apply the strength gain it would normally get, and then the second Wail debuff will fall off and it will gain 6 or 8 more.

Wait, what? Why would playing a piercing wail when the enemy isn't attacking ever be a good idea? It only lasts one turn

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Wait, what? Why would playing a piercing wail when the enemy isn't attacking ever be a good idea? It only lasts one turn
There's a trick you can pull on the Awakened One's transformation turn where the wail strength debuff becomes permanent.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Against Awakened One at least, it makes sense to play a Piercing Wail on the turn you kill it for the first time IF you can get it to 0 strength or below. Due to the way debuffs work in this game it will then enter the second phase with 0 strength. I believe the same works against Champ and Time Eater, but I've not tried it against them yet.

e: Maybe it also works if you can only get it to positive strength? It should then enter the second phase at whatever strength you debuff it to but again, I haven't tried that yet.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

Against Awakened One at least, it makes sense to play a Piercing Wail on the turn you kill it for the first time IF you can get it to 0 strength or below. Due to the way debuffs work in this game it will then enter the second phase with 0 strength. I believe the same works against Champ and Time Eater, but I've not tried it against them yet.

e: Maybe it also works if you can only get it to positive strength? It should then enter the second phase at whatever strength you debuff it to but again, I haven't tried that yet.

It works on Champ and Time Eater as well.

You can debuff them down to 0 and it will stay at 0. Or if they were at, say, 8, you can debuff them down to 2, and it will stay at 2. But if they were at 4 strength and you put them down to -2, on the next turn they'll go back up to 0.