Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

found a weird/great book about ancient chinese sexuality from some translations of some sex handbooks

women have infinite chi that men have to tap during sex to stay vital and alive
men should always make the woman orgasm but not nut unless the woman is ovulating or they've absorbed the maximum amount of chi
if you hold back at the moment of orgasm while making the woman orgasm your yang and her yin shoot up your dick and balls, via the spinal column, and into your brain to power you up

wanking is forbidden to men but not to women, but a medical text advises them not to use dildos to excess to avoid injury

seems like pretty good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

twoday posted:

I saw some very flat-looking ducks in the park the other day

zero cool flatter

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

I found the prayer which is related to the pose which is common to the "flat" positioning of many figures in traditional Egyptian art

The positioning is a representation to the way the Ka (one element of the soul) flanks and surrounds a person in a protective manner. So, it was very much an intentional mode of depicting someone, and if it did not mean this originally, then this way of drawing someone was later imbued with this meaning, so then at least it took on and retained this significance later on.

Also, I'm just gonna take a moment to point out the hieroglyphic character which means "front"

twoday has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Feb 12, 2021

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Computer - zoom, enhance

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i don't know any history after 600 CE this is all very upsetting

boil wine to get superwine

use the steam to convert heat to motion

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

look it says in thoth's style guide the dick gotta be dripping

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

platzapS posted:

boil wine to get superwine

use the steam to convert heat to motion

this is magic and you will be punished for knowing it

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Azathoth posted:

In the same vein, the legend of Pope Joan is up there as well. This legend, as the name implies, holds that a woman disguised herself as a man and rose up to become Pope. It's got some really salacious poo poo, like having an affair with another priest, getting pregnant, then giving birth on the papal throne. It also takes advantage of the fact that there isn't a valid Pope John XX, due to a combination of Antipopes and a misreading of some lists.

Wow I had heard the tale of Pope Joan before but had totally forgotten it. I was raised Catholic and was given a book called Pope Fiction and in the middle of boring stuff about what papal infallibility meant or how apostolic succession works was a chapter about Joan recounting all the purile details of the story with some serious invective against those disingenuous proddies who would do anything to slander the Vicar of Christ lol.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

twoday posted:

Computer - zoom, enhance

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

twoday posted:

I found the prayer which is related to the pose which is common to the "flat" positioning of many figures in traditional Egyptian art

The positioning is a representation to the way the Ka (one element of the soul) flanks and surrounds a person in a protective manner. So, it was very much an intentional mode of depicting someone, and if it did not mean this originally, then this way of drawing someone was later imbued with this meaning, so then at least it took on and retained this significance later on.

Also, I'm just gonna take a moment to point out the hieroglyphic character which means "front"

this rules never stop

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Tulip posted:

this rules never stop

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

twoday posted:

I saw some very flat-looking ducks in the park the other day

There's actually some controversy about weather or not those murals are forgeries.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

look it says in thoth's style guide the dick gotta be dripping

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Nebakenezzer posted:

He was a man of the system

Though when you put it like that it makes me wonder if there are saints out there more counter-revolutionary

Well god knows I have my share of strange notions that I like to think about, so if you are sincere, I'm definitely with sin and casting a few stones. But: if you understand that the original reference was just Plato being Plato, so any remarks he had were about as valid as Herodotus talking about giant ants being used as salt miners or WTF, why would you then treat this entirely hypothetical situation as having real, meaningful truth in it? It's contradictory.

Also, if you are sincere:

looks to me that you are, in fact, not aware of what I posted previous. It leaves no room for "multiple origin theories" [I take it that's what you mean by "myriad hypothesis"]; it excludes everything but "Plato was talking hypothetically just like he does all the time" and confusing Atlantis with a real place is like confusing "Narnia" with "Manchester."

What I meant by myriad theories is that some people points to its location in the mediteranean, others spain, of the cost of north america, south america etc etc.. and then there's the truly crackpot theories saying they're actually aliens or hyper advanced civilization. I used to have this site that was basically a collection of all the different Atlantis theories that had been brought forth over the years.

As for Herodotus, i'm torn about the guy. On one hand his description of things are hosed up, but if I recall he doesn't make claims that he's seen these things himself, but that people described them. On the other hand, I believe there's been many things he spoke about that people thought was crazy, and ended up being more realistic than we believed so :shrug:

*edit:

quote:

why would you then treat this entirely hypothetical situation as having real, meaningful truth in it? It's contradictory.

That's where my disagreement with real archeologist and philosopher begins. While I believe you are most likely correct that Plato was only making poo poo up, the argument "Plato was only making poo poo up" is in and of itself, not provable by either side. The amount of people who have told me "Plato even says so in its text" as their main argument has always baffled me because he absolutely does not, yet mentions something like 20+ times. For what its worth, I don't mean to say "He says its true therefore it must be!" I only mean to say that people can't claim he said something he did and use this as their argument, yet dismiss what he actually said and claim its made up.

To me, people who say categorically: "Atlantis does not exist period" fall in the same trap that so Schliemann's detractors did, the hubris that they know something so surefly that they're unwilling to entertain the possibility they are wrong. Present any evidence to a serious archeologue and he won't even entertain the notion because of his certainty and I believe that is the wrong mindset to have.

So while I don't actually believe in it, I don't close my eyes to these hypothesis. They often make me smile or laugh. But this one (the one I linked) is the only one that made me go "Uhhh.... that's not as crazy as I first thought" because believe me, the first time I heard "Atlantis was in Bolivia" I had the very same reaction that anyone SHOULD have upon hearing it.

Dalael has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Feb 12, 2021

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Personally I think what inspired Plato to make up Atlantis might have been the Persian empire. Instead of a massive empire in the East overtaking all of Asia and also Egypt before being heroically stopped by Athens, you have almost the same thing except in the distant past and this time it's a massive empire in the West.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Also if I ever find that site again with all the Atlantis theories, I will link it here for those interested in the real crazy stories out there because some are loving wild

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://taiwanenglishnews.com/chinese-professor-there-were-no-ancient-western-civilizations-just-modern-fakes-made-to-demean-china/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man I love me some flat (pressed) duck. Sure, it’s a 19 th century thing, but it’s astonishing.

https://youtu.be/PQQKCVLvdls

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

id rather eat the duck normal

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://www.theonion.com/historians-admit-to-inventing-ancient-greeks-1819571808

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

it’s flat duck friday you duckin’ losers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yadoppsi posted:

Pope Fiction

Damasus I: Did you know that in syria they call it a Homoousis with cheese?
Ambrose: hosed up man...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bob Socko posted:

it’s flat duck friday you duckin’ losers

Roll the clip

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1360305118579544064?s=19

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/MNdriftless/status/1360313326656364546?s=19

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

twoday posted:

From the oldest temple complex in the world at Gobekli Tepe:

Amazing that they knew about the letter H already back then

no ring, voted 1

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tulip posted:

e: There's a very Marxist book about the revolutionary reading of Paul by Alain Badiou, surprised that one hasn't come up yet

what are some of its points?

Some Guy TT posted:

is there reason to believe paul was originally an undercover roman cop or is that a conspiracy theory

he was just a schizophrenic OP

this owns

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For those that listen, new episode of "Fall of Civilizations" is out

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Is fall of civilizations better than patrick wyman? He’s alright but he gets on my nerves, particularly this latest season

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Benagain posted:

The Cartoon History of the World is not perfect and definitely shows its age in a few places, but I will forever remember it for the bit where all the Romans go "Salvation AND foreskins?! Halleluah!"

Yeah I really enjoyed reading the books when I was a young man and you just gotta keep in mind that the author explicitly says that he prefers to tell legends as opposed to facts because legends are clear, even if they're not true. Also I guess the later books suffer in that everything becomes a metaphor for why the second invasion of Iraq was a horrible mistake. I mean, yeah, that was true, but what does it have to do with the French invasion of Naples?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

sullat posted:

legends are clear

this isn’t true at all!!!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/csmfht/status/1363288210592256001?s=21

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

indigi posted:

this isn’t true at all!!!

Sure it is, saying "Servius Tullius became king because the queen saw flames shooting out of his head" is easier than figuring out who really was king and why he was really picked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an eagle stole my husbands hat when he crossed the pomerium. one lord reagency please!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/ATomasi__/status/1364494083763433473

eyy

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
flavius scorpus and his fuckin whuore motha should have dere kneecaps broken in da back of a chariot. lets go Greens baby love da Greens

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

not to get all actually on you but vitellius is a die hard blues guy and owes his rise to the throne to military connections he made because of blues fandom. he wouldnt stand any disrespect of the blues in his earshot and ordered a few executions of greens supporters specifically for their allegiance

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Domitian is the other big blues guy

the julio claudians were all in on green as part of their populist persona as were most emperors cause it was the plebs favorite team

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Feb 25, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Real hurthling! posted:

the julio claudians were all in on green as part of their populist persona as were most emperors cause it was the plebs favorite team

If I didn't know anything about Rome I'd guess "big blues guy" would mean he was one of the blues brothers

Surely that's a monomyth that transcends cultures, like the drug use of John Belushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

not to get all actually on you but vitellius is a die hard blues guy and owes his rise to the throne to military connections he made because of blues fandom. he wouldnt stand any disrespect of the blues in his earshot and ordered a few executions of greens supporters specifically for their allegiance

Real hurthling! posted:

thank you for these posts