Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think you have to be stoned for the KH plot. Doesn't make sense to try and enjoy it sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Liked Kingdom Hearts when I was a teenager, got into smoking tons of weed as an adult. No amount of weed ever made going back to Kingdom Hearts worth it, and I tried a few times.

That's what it is. You need to be a 12-15 year old anime watcher to like KH.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The basic concept of going to Disney worlds and helping them solve their problems, with an anime flavor, was very fun. It just seems like they decided to lean more and more into the opposite, i.e. ridiculous anime bullshit where occasionally a Disney character shows up.

But like, even Final Fantasy characters stopped showing up in 3 I think? It's like a fan fiction that gets rid of the known characters because they thought the "original" generic hooded anime dudes were way more important.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've always wanted to try KH but there's a ton of games and I have no idea what order they're supposed to be played in and the names are terrible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

The basic concept of going to Disney worlds and helping them solve their problems, with an anime flavor, was very fun. It just seems like they decided to lean more and more into the opposite, i.e. ridiculous anime bullshit where occasionally a Disney character shows up.

But like, even Final Fantasy characters stopped showing up in 3 I think? It's like a fan fiction that gets rid of the known characters because they thought the "original" generic hooded anime dudes were way more important.

i would have been more interested in kingdom hearts if they leaned into the Final Fantasy a lot more. it should have been 50/50 final fantasy and disney

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've always wanted to try KH but there's a ton of games and I have no idea what order they're supposed to be played in and the names are terrible.

play the first one and just pretend the others dont exist

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that’s a hell of a title

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The really funny thing is iirc they still have basically no context for any of the generic hooded anime characters, like none of them have families or anything, I think given realising they literally never just hang out or do things besides have anime drama casually they threw in some hilariously hamfisted scenes where they get popsicles from somewhere.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Kingdom Hearts 2 has great combat although honestly I didn't really know what was happening a lot of the time

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Martman posted:

In KH2 it felt like the Disney characters were judging the anime ones. Beast knows that Sora is an abomination that deserves nothing more than a quick death

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the KH2 part where Goofy takes a bullet for you and you think that fuckin Goofy is dead is psychotic. Out of all the characters to die in a video, Goofy is almost the funniest. A-hyuk!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Did somebody mention the door to darkness?

Arc Light posted:

I've never played a KH game, and I probably never will, so I have absolutely no idea if this is a real thing or a joke.

No one checks if he's actually dead either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XzlAwWkXQ&t=34s

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 13, 2021

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

the KH2 part where Goofy takes a bullet for you and you think that fuckin Goofy is dead is psychotic. Out of all the characters to die in a video, Goofy is almost the funniest. A-hyuk!

I've never played a KH game, and I probably never will, so I have absolutely no idea if this is a real thing or a joke.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Arc Light posted:

nobody tell him whether it is

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One of my dream games is just Devil May Cry: The Action RPG, and Kingdom Hearts 2 and 3 are the closest things to that. Even Capcom couldn’t do it, since Dragon’s Dogma has a terrible formula for calculating damage and no lock-on.

I didn’t get what was so great about them when I played through them on the normal difficulty, but seeing a critical level 1 playthrough at GDQ showed me how they’re supposed to be played. I’ve gone through them on that difficulty and I’m still working my way through the 14 super bosses each game has.

FFVIIR has great combat too, but it’s not like KH where you spend most of combat in the air and 1 hit away from death. FFXVI already looks like exactly what I’m looking for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

that’s a hell of a title

:tipshat:
this is my way of donating to the forums. your welcome

Path of Exile is a hell of a drug. i think maybe GBS was right to make fun of me for liking it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mclQVeySY

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Martman posted:

It's got the extremely late 90s jrpg energy where the base game is perfectly serviceable but huge chunks of the game require grinding to max level to fight all the extreme optional bosses, like Sephiroth.

KH2 straight through without max grinding is fine, the 3DS games I played were perfectly fine and fun.

Once their one the PC you can play the main game and just cheatengine to max level if you desperately want to see the 20 second secret FMVs for all the optional content. Plus, the biggest incentive for all that grinding was to watch the secret trailers that teased what the sequels were gonna be, except all the pre KH3 content was to tease out KH3, and no one needs to do that given the game is out.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
You can't save right now

Never ever say that to me video game, you loving rear end in a top hat

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Icochet posted:

You can't save right now

This never stops pissing me off in 2021.

Thanks for deciding that if I have to leave, I have to replay like 30 minutes of the game because you assume I don't know how computers work.

And if it's ~stylistic~ then guess what, your style sucks dick and you can go gently caress yourself.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Icochet posted:

You can't save right now

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

are there actually any modern consoles where there's not a sleep mode you can use in that situation or is this like a pc-only complaint

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rockman Reserve posted:

are there actually any modern consoles where there's not a sleep mode you can use in that situation or is this like a pc-only complaint

Can always pause and alt tab with PC at least.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Boss fights where you absolutely whoop the boss' rear end and then straight after is a cutscene where they kick your rear end immediately can gently caress right off.

Like the boss fight starts, "grr I will destroy you!" Proceed to beat them senseless, feeling assured that they have nothing on you.
Cue cutscene where they throw the party around like toys and mock them as never being able to stand up to them and poo poo.

gently caress the illusion that you get a say. Why even have the boss fight be beatable? Doesn't make loving sense.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Flashbacks to the Kai Leng fight from ME3, all of them

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

when i'm really keyed up from a lovely long day at work or something going on in my life yu gi oh on switch has become the best sleep aid i've ever had

play a few games over the course of like ten minutes, then spend another ten minutes just opening packs with the rewards and looking at new cards, and i'm out like a light

probably not what most people are looking for in a game but it's really fantastic for me haha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

Boss fights where you absolutely whoop the boss' rear end and then straight after is a cutscene where they kick your rear end immediately can gently caress right off.

Like the boss fight starts, "grr I will destroy you!" Proceed to beat them senseless, feeling assured that they have nothing on you.
Cue cutscene where they throw the party around like toys and mock them as never being able to stand up to them and poo poo.

gently caress the illusion that you get a say. Why even have the boss fight be beatable? Doesn't make loving sense.

I'd say MGR did it right with the first Jetstream Sam fight where you literally can't even touch him, but they technically do literally this, ironically, in the Sam DLC against the final boss of all things.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What in the name of gently caress is the point of this? Why do so many isometric CRPGs do it? Can't the drat slowpokes lagging behind just catch up during the cutscene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XFxKXdbqY

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most of them have stealth sections or some poo poo

not very good stealth sections usually but stealth sections

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

What in the name of gently caress is the point of this? Why do so many isometric CRPGs do it? Can't the drat slowpokes lagging behind just catch up during the cutscene?

Remember playing Baldur's Gate and having some Boots of Speed but not enough for everyone?

lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the way the game works is the disney worlds are basically all just filler and the actual plot boils down to anime boys spouting nonsense while hitting each other with increasingly ridiculous things that are supposed to be weapons, and donald and goofy are there too

the actual plot has nothing to do with anime boys spouting nonsense and everything to do with haley joel osmet as sora gazing longingly at the sky thinking of what's-her-name who's banging lea, and he sighs

PinheadSlim posted:

That's what it is. You need to be a 12-15 year old anime watcher to like KH.

this doesn't explain the legions of burned out thirtysomethings who cried at the end of kingdom hearts 3

syntaxfunction posted:

Outpost22 posted:

Flashbacks to the Kai Leng fight from ME3, all of them

mass effect 3 is the most well known one but suikoden 3 is actually a far worse offender, because it is JAM PACKED, loving beginning to end, full of winnable unwinnable boss fights where you go to great lengths to prep and gear for these midgame superbosses who you're "supposed" to lose to, and if you manage to win they just snap their fingers and win anyway in the next cutscene. your rewards are usually quite rare and powerful items, but even an accessory so good that you'll keep it on your best character through the end of the game is a crappy consolation prize when measured against "you THINK you won... but i can't lose!"

oh and the boss characters are extremely sore losers so not only do they overturn your victory but they also insult you while doing it!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 13, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I watched a kingdom hearts plot summary when 3 came on game pass and from what I can tell literally every single original character in the series is the same dude who time travelled so much he became every major character in the franchise

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I watched a kingdom hearts plot summary when 3 came on game pass and from what I can tell literally every single original character in the series is the same dude who time travelled so much he became every major character in the franchise

see also: blazblue

some day i want to do drugs with whoever writes ASW fighting game plots

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Lodin posted:

I always assumed this was to disallow players from stationing one party member at the map exit who could bail everyone out if there was trouble. It’s still dumb though

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fur20 posted:

this doesn't explain the legions of burned out thirtysomethings who cried at the end of kingdom hearts 3

People who were 12-15 when KH came out would be 30-33 now

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rockman Reserve posted:

play a few games over the course of like ten minutes, then spend another ten minutes just opening packs with the rewards and looking at new cards, and i'm out like a light

probably not what most people are looking for in a game but it's really fantastic for me haha

it absolutely is what most people are looking for in a game :smith: to the point where FIFA added opening card packs with rare footballers as a mechanic

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
As someone who plays Pokemon trading cards on the internet, sometimes opening random packs of stuff is fun. Sometimes. Not all the time.

I mean, it helps when the game is designed around that mechanic, and it's not shoehorned in purely to prolong the life of the game or push people to pull out their wallets again and again.

Also I have spent money on pokemon, I am a hypocrite. Just throwing that out there so you know I have no stock.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

giogadi posted:

I always assumed this was to disallow players from stationing one party member at the map exit who could bail everyone out if there was trouble. It’s still dumb though

Well that's actually a good explanation.
Then again I'm currently playing Tyranny and it has the same exact message and I don't think there's any way you could exploit the game there. At least it's only text.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I don't know if it's passed, but there was a really weird trend a bit ago where every game has a "trading card" or card feature and most of them weren't card games at all, I'm sure it appeals to some people but I hate HATE that weird rear end physical trading card component where it's all in game and this weird commodity fetishism

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

PinheadSlim posted:

People who were 12-15 when KH came out would be 30-33 now

This really fucks with me a lot, like how blink 182 still write music for teenagers. I'm not saying it's bad, it just makes me feel like I'm going to die very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

giogadi posted:

Planescape torment does it that way.