Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Henry is one of the patron saints of this thread, he is not talented on the guitar but is talented at Stupid Music poo poo. He's possibly been doing a Andy Kaufman/Tim Heidecker thing for the last 30 years. My favourite skit (?) is the video where he demonstrates a few super expensive weirdo guitars, he's like "let's see how this one sounds" and then plays it through a rack of vibrato/delay/tremolo/ring modulator/etc all cranked to full. Top trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Kaiser is perfectly capable of playing normal guitar sounds but just has no interest in doing it. He's a free improv composer who happens to use a guitar - more school of Sonny Sharrock than Stevie Ray. The soundtracks he does for Werner Herzog are proof he can make interesting music when he wants.

Look, here's Henry sounding normal and consequently extremely tedious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kE6yHl-NBQ

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Lester Shy posted:

No idea who Kaiser is, but I've always hated that attitude. Maybe it's useful if you're going blind from studying baroque composition for 12 hours a day, but it's often handed down to beginning musicians as a way to make musicianship seem a lot more mystical than it really is.

I have an acquaintance who totally buys into that idea and makes some of the most unlistenable poo poo I've ever heard. Notably, none of the music he makes sounds anything like the music he actually listens to.

It's always been a thing to some extent but there was something in the late 60's through the 70's that had the cult of creativity where there was this major feelgood notion of "my original idea is always pure gold and cannot be held against the standard of existing stuff", which is great but these folks would constantly barge in and want "constructive criticism" and get angry when not universally praised while also looking down their noses at everyone else there.

I remember dealing with someone who was saying, in the equivalent music terms "well, I suppose it took a little effort to learn to play the complete works of Chopin, but that's ordinary music and not C R E A T I V E, unlike the new musical system I have invented that you're dismissing by saying "that's just farting noises".

Like, you see that playing out on deviantart everyday with teens but that generation has some folks who took that and really ran with it through their 60s. Like, color outside the lines all you want but don't enter a traditional coloring contest and be furious you didn't win because yours was more "original" than everyone else's.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I unironically think he’s great. 🤷‍♂️

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I thought that Kaiser / Thompson clip was great. His solo started off pretty rough but then he just gets the thing screaming in such a ridiculous way it's sort of awesome.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Is that his thing? I didn't know he was anti-intellectual. :(

I don't know if he's ever come out and said that specifically, but that is the only possible conclusion I can draw after watching footage of this guy who has "played" guitar throughout his entire life, who has published videos of himself in his house with so much guitar gear in it you can't see the walls or even the floor, being quite literally surrounded by access to top tier professionals to be inspired by and learn from all his life, and top tier gear to use all his life, and then hearing the jerky, convulsive, epileptic, brash, quivery, non-sequitur horseshit he plays that sounds like it would sound better if it was played by an arthritis-riddled Parkinsons sufferer. And of course after that he then talks ad nauseam about the quality of his tone (which is literally always harsh, way too bright, grainy, and just poo poo in general) and how carefully he dialed it in, how nice the gear was he used to record these pieces, and the meticulously curated playing techniques he carefully chose to employ in order to bring his delicate creation to life.

Like yes I know that music is art and so there is no true "correct" way to do anything in that space, but I cannot fathom how anybody could genuinely enjoy what he does. His complete and total lack of technical ability and aesthetic taste, combined with his absurdly high sense of pretentiousness about his own work requires such a level of obtuse boneheadedness on his part that he is always instantly and overwhelmingly offputting. I get the whole "dude's hilarious, wow that's so bad" kinda ironic amusement at him, but I am honestly just perplexed about how he could have any real, sincere human fans who could get what they need out of the whole "listening to music" thing from his stuff.

stillvisions posted:

*...Kaiser explanation...*

Thank you, you expressed the general annoyance about guys like Kaiser more eloquently than I did.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 12, 2021

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

Look, here's Henry sounding normal and consequently extremely tedious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kE6yHl-NBQ

Yes "normal", but that's still completely poo poo. Awful halfassed solo, awful solo tone. All it has is the gimmick of the Russian language and Simpsons guy attached, on a song that's been covered to death. Henry is not a talented guitarist. Sometimes he's competent.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

henry kaiser is good actually. guy has chops.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know if he's ever come out and said that specifically, but that is the only possible conclusion I can draw after watching footage of this guy who has "played" guitar throughout his entire life, who has published videos of himself in his house with so much guitar gear in it you can't see the walls or even the floor, being quite literally surrounded by access to top tier professionals to be inspired by and learn from all his life, and top tier gear to use all his life, and then hearing the jerky, convulsive, epileptic, brash, quivery, non-sequitur horseshit he plays that sounds like it would sound better if it was played by an arthritis-riddled Parkinsons sufferer. And of course after that he then talks ad nauseam about the quality of his tone (which is literally always harsh, way too bright, grainy, and just poo poo in general) and how carefully he dialed it in, how nice the gear was he used to record these pieces, and the meticulously curated playing techniques he carefully chose to employ in order to bring his delicate creation to life.

Like yes I know that music is art and so there is no true "correct" way to do anything in that space, but I cannot fathom how anybody could genuinely enjoy what he does. His complete and total lack of technical ability and aesthetic taste, combined with his absurdly high sense of pretentiousness about his own work requires such a level of obtuse boneheadedness on his part that he is always instantly and overwhelmingly offputting. I get the whole "dude's hilarious, wow that's so bad" kinda ironic amusement at him, but I am honestly just perplexed about how he could have any real, sincere human fans who could get what they need out of the whole "listening to music" thing from his stuff.

Thank you, you expressed the general annoyance about guys like Kaiser more eloquently than I did.

Lol

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lol indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyQ786w2wU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuTLl1JbUdM

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Isn't Kaiser super rich because of his grandfather and he just buys tons of stupidly expensive gear and explains that it's sound crystals that make his tone?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dumble's electrons can't survive in a crystal lattice explanation gets me every time

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Nono this is the one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiWeClAk4g

(also because "Dieter Wanke" is an appropriately great username)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

drat you got me. The first person in this thread to post HJK videos.

sigher posted:

Isn't Kaiser super rich because of his grandfather and he just buys tons of stupidly expensive gear and explains that it's sound crystals that make his tone?

No

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I blue it.

Will start laying on clear tomorrow.

e: meant to put this in regular guitar thread I'm leaving it here.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 13, 2021

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's very sweet, but I think you should cross-post it. It looks nice. I can't wait to see the clear-coat on it. I want to paint stuff but I have nowhere to do it and I'd probably mess it up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I threw it up over there too.
You can totally spray paint outside it's actually easier to get a good finish when it's cold out and you don't have to worry about bugs getting stuck in the finish.
I have a compressor and a HVLP gun for clear but I've done a bunch with spray bombs as well.
The blue is from Ohio Valley nitro off of Amazon they've got all the classic colors.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Saw this at a local gear store:

Whoah! Neat! I ask the dude to take the back off:

The jacks are wired directly together and the pot just varies the brightness of the LED. Lol.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's some high level trolling from back in the day

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

As if part of some long-form joke here's a punchline from decades later:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Was the local gear store selling it at those long form joke prices?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He didn't try to sell it to me for that but then again I was already laughing at the idea of paying a penny for it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Late to Kaiser chat but I mainly know the guy as a meme.

He rules, sorry y'all. I love that some dude can own very nice gear, plays well when he plays "properly" but his bread and butter is esoteric noodling that pisses a lot of guitarists off. The whole fryon crystal lattice or whatever is hilarious.

I hope the dude keeps making bank doing his avant garde improv until his audience decide they aren't into it. Honestly even if you hate the music you have to admire the guy being successful at not only playing guitar, but playing the type of music he loves, regardless of how weird it is.

It's me, I'm the stupid music poo poo.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 13, 2021

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Again, in absolute fairness Dumble was the fragile harmonics in a crystal lattice guy. That video was just so much funnier when between his ruminations on the finer points of tube amp design he'd hand over to Kaiser who would proceed to Kaiser all over the room.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh yeah, I'm fully aware, but the whole thing is hilarious to me.

Dumble spouting crystal lattice stuff is cool, because it always strikes me as a guy that knows "tubes sound better because we just like that sound" won't sell him as a genius. So instead he spouts that poo poo.

And then you see nerds argue about how he was technically right because he *actually* meant this and that means he wasn't just spouting poo poo.

If you can design a great amp then I have a lot of respect for that. But it doesn't make you a genius and give you credibility of someone with multiple PhDs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

If you can design a great amp then I have a lot of respect for that. But it doesn't make you a genius and give you credibility of someone with multiple PhDs.

Lmaooo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Har. You know what I meant. I think Dumble knows how to build and design a very good amp. I don't think I'd trust him to hold a lecture about crystal lattice tubes to other professionals.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Har. You know what I meant. I think Dumble knows how to build and design a very good amp. I don't think I'd trust him to hold a lecture about crystal lattice tubes to other professionals.

Friend of mine with a PhD in in an esoteric field of EE explained that he is technically correct but is being cheeky on purpose. There are a lot of charlatans but Alex Dumble is not one of them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also comparing Kaiser and Sonny Sharrock really hits home for me and I hadn’t considered the connection. It makes sense I love both of them.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I played a gig with Drumbo couple of years ago doing some Beefheart stuff and afterwards when we were all hanging out someone brought up Kaiser and I said something like "isn't that the guy who's like really into wacky effects pedals?" and John kinda looked at me sideways. I honestly know nothing about the guy

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Friend of mine with a PhD in in an esoteric field of EE explained that he is technically correct but is being cheeky on purpose. There are a lot of charlatans but Alex Dumble is not one of them.

You know what? YOU KNOW FUCKEN WHAT BHABI?? I trust your opinion wholeheartedly and I am aware you are far more educated in these matters than I.

So I'm sorry Dumble, for doubting you. In penance I will take an amp.

I mean, I only have your word to take though, cause boy howdy does a lot of what I've seen of the dude shout "puffed ego". But I will concede this point.

I retain that Kaiser is awesome though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

I retain that Kaiser is awesome though.

:hmmyes:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Also comparing Kaiser and Sonny Sharrock really hits home for me and I hadn’t considered the connection. It makes sense I love both of them.

HK is a huge Sharrock fan. Apparently the first day he bought a guitar he also picked up a slide and spent the evening trying to play along with him on Pharaoh Sanders records.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Dave got a Les Paul with robo tuners on the bench, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nv1oqsuYUs

I haven't even watched it, but it must be a disaster. My money is on him breaking at least one string.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
It's hilarious, highlights include doing the thing to unwind/remove the strings... then it re-tunes them again when he picks it up.

I can't get over the FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR guitar having a stamped metal zero fret (that isn't even fixed?), like some cheap and cheerful '60s thing when Epiphone, and the vast majority of other sub-$1000 guitars all have proper nuts on them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

former glory posted:

Dave got a Les Paul with robo tuners on the bench, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nv1oqsuYUs

I haven't even watched it, but it must be a disaster. My money is on him breaking at least one string.

I’ve never played one of these only heard about them. Watching him gently caress with the tuners makes it clear what a head scratcher this product was. A lot of people must have gone to work everyday on the tuner project knowing what a failure it would be. Unreal.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They're not that bad an idea IMO but they seemed to be implemented in the most headassed way possible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’ve never played one of these only heard about them. Watching him gently caress with the tuners makes it clear what a head scratcher this product was. A lot of people must have gone to work everyday on the tuner project knowing what a failure it would be. Unreal.

Gibson's insistence on these makes a little more sense when you think about Henry J's desire to be a boomer lifestyle brand. This level of "as seen on TV!" fiddly nonsense is a perfect boomer bait.

It also isn't even that bad of an idea, they just completely hosed the user interface and ended up making it miserable rather than helpful

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wasn't there a time when you literally couldn't buy a new LP Standard without them? That's just insane to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah there were model years where you literally couldn't buy a Gibson (outside of custom shop) without the robotuners. Which feels like a huge way to game the system "we sold so many robo tuner models!" while sacrificing total sales, like you would do when you know your customer base doesn't really want it but your boss is insisting on it.