Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah, he is still twice impeached and this poo poo will get shown in high school and college classes and such.

Wowie zowie, we'll get to show future generations that we impeached the Worst President Ever twice and it didn't matter one loving bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah, he is still twice impeached and this poo poo will get shown in high school and college classes and such.

But.... so? What material consequences will this have?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

1stGear posted:

Wowie zowie, we'll get to show future generations that we impeached the Worst President Ever twice and it didn't matter one loving bit.

Bush was a worse president and he wasn’t ever impeached, so I mean it’s a wash either way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Famethrowa posted:

who knows. with trump i am hoping he gets caught up in court battles for the rest of his life. The GOP will continue to radicalize up its own rear end in a top hat.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who knows. with trump i am hoping he gets caught up in court battles for the rest of his life. The GOP will continue to radicalize up its own rear end in a top hat.

If only radicalizing up one's own rear end in a top hat was a bad thing for them. So far the results are...mixed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The best consequence of this is getting our loving checks as soon as recess is over. Push them through.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Teacher: "President Trump was the only president to be impeached twice! Isn't that crazy?!"

Student: "Whoa, there must have been some pretty serious consequences for that."

Teacher: "Oh no, both impeachments failed, Trump continue to enjoy the material privileges of being a former president, and the movement he started was only emboldened by its leader not facing any punitive action at all. On that note, let's flip to the chapter about the burning of the White House in 2022."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
McConnell says Trump didn't commit the specific crime of incitement, but is morally responsible. Says the insurrection was the foreseeable consequence of Trumps words and actions.

He's coming in pretty hot. I mean gently caress the guy, but this is a strong statement.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Mitch agreeing with the prosecution but voting to acquit. What a farce.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Famethrowa posted:

what material consequences would have impeaching him successfully had?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mitch McConnell, Senate Trump Minority Leader, is currently making noise. The Trump leader was quoted as saying “Trump, tump tump tump, trump. Tuuuump. Trump trump tump. Trump.”

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I wonder if any of those 7 votes were negotiated. That is, I wonder if any of those seven said, hey I'm a yes, but I won't be if you drag this out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

If only radicalizing up one's own rear end in a top hat was a bad thing for them. So far the results are...mixed.

well, i dont think they will make actual gains in 2022 and this will brain drain the party even more and a majority of folks under 40 loving hate them alot. tying themselves to trump wont win them new votes. it just keeps the crazies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What is going on McConnell? He does realize he just voted 'not guilty," yes?

"I hate what he did and it was bad and it was within my power to hold him responsible but I didn't!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

McConnell says Trump didn't commit the specific crime of incitement, but is morally responsible. Says the insurrection was the foreseeable consequence of Trumps words and actions.

He's coming in pretty hot. I mean gently caress the guy, but this is a strong statement.

You know what would've been stronger?

-Holding the trial sooner
-Not being an obstructionist rear end in a top hat
-Voting guilty.

gently caress him and gently caress his statement it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SubG posted:

my guess is he is doing a "we could have ended you rear end in a top hat, now gently caress off and let us be evil quietly". it wont work.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 13, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Angry_Ed posted:

You know what would've been stronger?

-Holding the trial sooner
-Not being an obstructionist rear end in a top hat
-Voting guilty.

gently caress him and gently caress his statement it's not worth the paper it's printed on.
I agree but I'm still surprised that he's making the effort.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is he is doing a "we could have ended you rear end in a top hat, now gently caress off and let us be evil quietly".

My guess is that if he is what he's doing then it's not going to work because it's Donald Trump.

My other guess is that he just knows he can get away with being a two-faced hypocrite.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is he is doing a "we could have ended you rear end in a top hat, now gently caress off and let us be evil quietly".

somehow i doubt that is the message that will be received

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oh, well I’m sure he’ll learn his lesson this time.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol no this is meaningless platitudes. Mitch's acquittal is all you need to focus on.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
gently caress these shiteating cowards

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

gently caress you Moscow Mitch, forever

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

what material consequences would have impeaching him successfully had?

exactly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If you want an accurate summation of what Mitch is really saying right now, put your TV or whatever audio source you’re listening to on mute until he’s done talking.

That’s his true statement.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you are actually still clinging to the fantasy that the Republican party will be split by their support of Trump*, his approval rating among Republicans in January was at 82%.

*just like they were going to be split by their support of the Tea Party

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

If you want an accurate summation of what Mitch is really saying right now, put your TV or whatever audio source you’re listening to on mute until he’s done talking.

That’s his true statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
Now, this I don’t get it. Mitch clearly believes that Trump sucks. They were 10 votes shy of getting impeachment done, 9 if McConnell votes for it. Surely this guy could have whipped 9 votes to get it done so they could bar him from office?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, well I’m sure he’ll learn his lesson this time.

HappyHippo posted:

somehow i doubt that is the message that will be received

exactly. its a mix of that and him trying to platitudes etc. gently caress him.

Rabble posted:

lol no this is meaningless platitudes. Mitch's acquittal is all you need to focus on.

oh for sure.

Angry_Ed posted:

My guess is that if he is what he's doing then it's not going to work because it's Donald Trump.

My other guess is that he just knows he can get away with being a two-faced hypocrite.

probably.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Big Slammu posted:

Now, this I don’t get it. Mitch clearly believes that Trump sucks. They were 10 votes shy of getting impeachment done, 9 if McConnell votes for it. Surely this guy could have whipped 9 votes to get it done so they could bar him from office?

no, because doing that would give democrats a win

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Big Slammu posted:

He certainly could have. The fact that he didn't and wouldn't should tell you a lot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Slammu posted:

Mitch hating Trump is all an act. Mitch loving LOVES Trump.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Deteriorata posted:

He certainly could have. The fact that he didn't and wouldn't should tell you a lot.

Oh wow, at last I have realized that Mitch McConnell is a snake who should not be trusted with anything of import.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Mitch hating Trump is all an act. Mitch loving LOVES Trump.

nah. i think he hates/dislikes trump but he viewed trump as useful/etc so he didnt care.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
They're 100% going to vote to impeach Obama and Clinton the next time they've got the gavel.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rabble posted:

They're 100% going to vote to impeach Obama and Clinton the next time they've got the gavel.

good, that would be extremely funny and make them look goofy as poo poo

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Good thing that the vote to acquit Trump went out as an Apple News alert so that millions of people know that the democrats did nothing and the republicans got away with it.

Let’s hope that SDNY and Georgia do their jobs on pressing charges but it honestly looks like “LOL no I get away and I’m not going away” poo poo is going to be par for the course.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rabble posted:

yeah that's a big ol "who cares" for me

they always could have tried that and they're always welcome to try it in the future

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Big Slammu posted:

Find nine/10 votes that won't get primaried or aren't genuine Trump supporters. Seven GOP Senators are as close as we're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rabble posted:

I almost want to see them try to impeach Obama over drone strikes for how much of a shitshow it would be.