Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Solvency posted:

My son pointed out that one of the kids is wearing a Minecraft Creeper hat which makes no sense in the timeline though.

I think the overall timeline of the decades has been messed up intentionally; there's a Oz The Great and the Powerful on the movie theather on the 70s episode so I feel that though the episodes try to imitate the aesthethic of the era and its sitcoms, it's not as if they are actually set in the past and thus the easter eggs can be modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Spacebump posted:

It works if you count the paid alpha’s release in 09. (Unless creepers weren’t in that version.)

They didn't sell Minecraft merch for some time after the release.

I also noted that the room in the DDR flashback is all modern looking too. It could be a mistake or maybe the twins are just seeing things as they are?

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Assuming Wanda gets partially absolved for this, it seems too close to end of the season/series to not have Pietro be the bad guy here. Everything he does at the end of the episode is specifically to provoke her into using more power, he shows that he knows what's going on but not how it's going on. He appears at a moment in the series where Wanda has begun to grapple with the morality of her actions only to convince her not to stop enslaving Westview.

Then he intentionally pours gas on the fire, so to speak.

I'll be astounded if he ends up being the fox version of Quicksilver pulled into this universe.

This bummed me out, but take heart. Peters will make a banging bad guy.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Solvency posted:

They didn't sell Minecraft merch for some time after the release.

I also noted that the room in the DDR flashback is all modern looking too. It could be a mistake or maybe the twins are just seeing things as they are?

I think a likelier explanation is that Wanda doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of exactly which video games came out when or what they looked like, and since she's presumably creating this whole thing it's less that everything matches precisely what the late 90's / early 2000's were like, but what Wanda thinks they were like. The 80's episode had businessmen looking at binary code on a commodore 64 with modem sounds blaring, which is definitely not how computers worked in offices in the 80s.

quote:

Assuming Wanda gets partially absolved for this, it seems too close to end of the season/series to not have Pietro be the bad guy here. Everything he does at the end of the episode is specifically to provoke her into using more power, he shows that he knows what's going on but not how it's going on. He appears at a moment in the series where Wanda has begun to grapple with the morality of her actions only to convince her not to stop enslaving Westview.

Personally, in terms of Wanda responsibility, I think the likeliest possibility is that someone gave her the power to create the Hex (probably to advance some evil plan), but Wanda willingly accepted it and was still the one to actually set it in motion.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 13, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, as far as I can remember he goes into hiding with Ghost

I just rewatched that last weekend and you recall correctly. Last we saw of the two of them was them escaping down an alley.

The whole reason Scott was in the quantum zone when the snap happened was because he was gathering more quantum healing energy for them

Granted, if ghost didn't get snapped there's an open question about her current condition after 5 years without the magic quantum energy

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

enki42 posted:

I think a likelier explanation is that Wanda doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of exactly which video games came out when or what they looked like, and since she's presumably creating this whole thing it's less that everything matches precisely what the late 90's / early 2000's were like, but what Wanda thinks they were like. The 80's episode had businessmen looking at binary code on a commodore 64 with modem sounds blaring, which is definitely not how computers worked in offices in the 80s.

This is a very good point. Wanda is just putting "gaming stuff" together.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

enki42 posted:

that works fine as an in-universe explanation in this case, but tons of 80s and 90s period pieces have anachronisms of that nature (WW84 had too many to count, to give one recent example), so I suspect you're giving the creators a bit too much credit there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think there's also like a hierarchy of non-Wanda people in the town. Her immediate family are basically completely autonomous. Vision can defy her, lie, do his own thing, and the kids seemingly can too, even up to recognising the situation for what it is. Any neighbour or friend, basically anyone who'd be a recurring guest star on the sitcom, is semi-conscious that they're playing a role in a fiction but is aware enough to be able to ad-lib and such, so long as they're 'on-screen' with Wanda (see Agnes and Herb seeming to look to her more as a director than anything). Anyone in a scene without her is basically just an animatronic parroting banter and quips, like at Vision's office. Background extras are probably basically on your basic video game NPC script, do a bit of background business on a loop that fits the scene. And then there's the people on the edge of town, either in broken, half-complete loops or just full on frozen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They could have done a family as the Simpsons in a background joke. During a meeting you can see the TV with them as Simpsons characters behind everyone. It's not like they couldn't get the Simpsons crew to make like a 2 minute bit.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Barry Convex posted:

that works fine as an in-universe explanation in this case, but tons of 80s and 90s period pieces have anachronisms of that nature (WW84 had too many to count, to give one recent example), so I suspect you're giving the creators a bit too much credit there.

Yeah sure, I'll buy that these are all accidental anachronisms too. My point is if they are intentional, it's more likely to be the hex representing wanda's memories of these time periods rather than being some super secret clue or something.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I am beginning to believe that Wanda's psychotic break is getting worse and she's using the people she is controlling to talk and argue with herself.

Now that's exactly how he came off to me. It felt like a conversation between two people when one of them is actually just a figment of your imagination, like a talking to a person in a dream. Inconsistent attitude, knowledge of events that they shouldn't know, understanding what's happening in your subconscious mind and giving compassion and understanding to you even for things that you can't consciously accept. Showing up at every convenient moment and doing exactly what you need them to. Rather than Mephisto or literal alternate reality Pietro, I just figured Wanda had built this Pietro totally from scratch.

Doesn't fit so well with the "your dead husband can't die twice lolol" bit but I guess under that reading, that would be a thought that Wanda herself had and then felt ashamed of, and took it out on him. He's her subconscious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Now that's exactly how he came off to me. It felt like a conversation between two people when one of them is actually just a figment of your imagination, like a talking to a person in a dream. Inconsistent attitude, knowledge of events that they shouldn't know, understanding what's happening in your subconscious mind and giving compassion and understanding to you even for things that you can't consciously accept. Showing up at every convenient moment and doing exactly what you need them to. Rather than Mephisto or literal alternate reality Pietro, I just figured Wanda had built this Pietro totally from scratch.

Doesn't fit so well with the "your dead husband can't die twice lolol" bit but I guess under that reading, that would be a thought that Wanda herself had and then felt ashamed of, and took it out on him. He's her subconscious.

yeah, i also thought this while watching, a lot of the things people think is hinting one way could also be interpreted as Wanda's self-doubt and black humor and unhappiness about the past (like pietro saying that his Literally Heroic Death was 'like a chump')

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

twistedmentat posted:

They could have done a family as the Simpsons in a background joke. During a meeting you can see the TV with them as Simpsons characters behind everyone. It's not like they couldn't get the Simpsons crew to make like a 2 minute bit.

I think the reason that we don't see stuff like the Simpsons, or the other 90s shows mentioned like Roseanne or Married with Children, is that it would work against the characterization just in the service of making sure they hit every decade. Every sitcom parodied so far have been ones with more-or-less happy and even idealized families (Modern Family fits well enough into this as well) which jives with Wanda creating an ideal sitcom reality, it would be too jarring to suddenly have Vision being a rude slob or the family is suddenly disfunctional or something like that, and everything from the 90's either fits that stereotype (Married with Children, Roseanne, the simpsons), is a bit of a minefield for a white cast to parody (fresh prince, cosby, family matters), or doesn't bring anything new to the table over what was happening in the 80s (stuff like step by step)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Malcolm in the Middle is... not a depiction of an idealized family.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

It's not a perfect 50s family for sure, but I think they mostly keep the dysfunction light and wacky, especially compared to Roseanne / Married with Children.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm going to stake my claim on who the 'villain' is. There is no 'villain'. Wanda is doing all this, but not out of malice. Literally everything Wanda has ever love has been taken from her at no fault of her own. He parents, her homeland, her brother, and the love of her life. She's traumatized and doesn't know how to deal with her grief. She's having a break with reality that could be expected from anyone else with similar experiences. Unlike anyone else, though, Wanda basically has the power of the Gnostic Demiurge and her internal strife is manifesting itself around her in the real world. The resolution will happen when she comes to terms with the losses she has experienced, begins healing, and admits that she is responsible for unintentionally hurting others in her grief.

I think that is a much more real and relatable story than "the devil made me do it".

You don't get it, SOMEONE has to be the bad guy. It doesn't matter what kind of human being you are, a terrist is a terrist. She doesn't even have a fun code name!!

That's what Haywood's role is, to make you consider how much of an rear end in a top hat you are if you have the same thought process as him and perhaps consider other ways of viewing the situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And despite Roseanne Barr's real-life personality, the Conner family were absolutely a loving unit for most of the series, just not one that pretended that arguments and drama didn't happen.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
consistently amazed at how much people care about which particular sitcoms were played up by this show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bleck posted:

consistently amazed at how much people care about which particular sitcoms were played up by this show

...you're posting in the TV sub of a dying internet forum populated by obsessive 30 and 40-something nerds and you're surprised people are into TV history?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enki42 posted:

I think the reason that we don't see stuff like the Simpsons, or the other 90s shows mentioned like Roseanne or Married with Children, is that it would work against the characterization just in the service of making sure they hit every decade. Every sitcom parodied so far have been ones with more-or-less happy and even idealized families (Modern Family fits well enough into this as well) which jives with Wanda creating an ideal sitcom reality, it would be too jarring to suddenly have Vision being a rude slob or the family is suddenly disfunctional or something like that, and everything from the 90's either fits that stereotype (Married with Children, Roseanne, the simpsons), is a bit of a minefield for a white cast to parody (fresh prince, cosby, family matters), or doesn't bring anything new to the table over what was happening in the 80s (stuff like step by step)

But

Arist posted:

Malcolm in the Middle is... not a depiction of an idealized family.

It's probably more likely the story they're telling needs to move into the final phase in the next episode so going to a late 2000s sitcom like Modern Family is what leads to that. Also Malcom in the Middle format lets the kids have more agency.

If they had more episodes we probably would have seen more sitcom types.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

enki42 posted:

This is why the MitM stuff made no sense. It's explicitly about a dysfunctional family of dickheads.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaz-L posted:

...you're posting in the TV sub of a dying internet forum populated by obsessive 30 and 40-something nerds and you're surprised people are into TV history?

100 years from now we will be into the fourth Reconstruction of the Cyberzoids, the forums will be run by jeffreys clone AI and people will still be saying SA is dying

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It also bears emphasizing just how completely different Evan Peters Pietro is from Aaron Johnson Pietro. We didn't see much of the old Pietro, but he was very protective and attentive towards Wanda in an almost overbearing way; there's no way he would taunt her like this or make fun of her trauma.

And at first, it seemed like the new Pietro was just playing up the sitcom tropes of the funny intrusive uncle who gets on the tightly-wound parents' nerves ('cuz that's what Wanda wanted, according to him), or else maybe he's just acting more like the Fox Studios Peter Maximoff who's much more snarky and deprecating. But the more we see, the more it seems like he's just...well, a mean person. It's tempting for Wanda (and many fans) to imagine that she really brought her brother back somehow, but it's hard to imagine any version of Quicksilver that would treat her like this. That, more than anything, makes him feel like Mephisto. Or whoever he is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

stev posted:

This is why the MitM stuff made no sense. It's explicitly about a dysfunctional family of dickheads.

I mean, the family was getting p dysfunctional this ep.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the presumption that this season leads into Dr. Strange 2, or are we expecting a S2?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I mean, the family was getting p dysfunctional this ep.

I liked Vision basically calling Wanda's bluff at the start. "Oh, you're not controlling everything? OK, what if I go off-script?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sebmojo posted:

100 years from now we will be into the fourth Reconstruction of the Cyberzoids, the forums will be run by jeffreys clone AI and people will still be saying SA is dying

I never said it was dying quickly! :v:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
My personal suspicion is that Pietro is a manifestation of her conscience and guilt given the crack about how their parents would love it, the flippant talk about loving what she's doing, and all the other poking and prodding that sounds an awful lot like someone trying to work out the ethics and morality of what they're doing and if it's worth it. The question is if she manifested him at all, if someone else (the Hex itself?) did, and all that fun stuff that comes with that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Is the presumption that this season leads into Dr. Strange 2, or are we expecting a S2?

I don't think any of us are expecting it, and I got no idea where they'd go for a second season that would maintain this style, but it's not like there's anything stopping them and

Disney+’s ‘WandaVision’ Cast Into Top Viewing Spot Worldwide
WandaVision Is MCU's Highest Rated Show or Movie on Rotten Tomatoes
‘WandaVision’ Breaks Into Nielsen Top 10 Streaming Rankings

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Martytoof posted:

That’s not a spoiler, that’s what Feige announced onstage at SDCC over a year and a half ago. Even if he hadn’t, S2 would have to be in active preproduction, if not filming, by now to debut before DS2, and we’d know if that were the case.

But I very much expect that this is a one-off. Maybe there could be a Scarlet Witch series post-DS2 that draws from the James Robinson run, idk, but that and Young Avengers are as close to an S2 as we’re likely to get.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

XboxPants posted:

I don't think any of us are expecting it, and I got no idea where they'd go for a second season that would maintain this style, but it's not like there's anything stopping them and

Disney+’s ‘WandaVision’ Cast Into Top Viewing Spot Worldwide
WandaVision Is MCU's Highest Rated Show or Movie on Rotten Tomatoes
‘WandaVision’ Breaks Into Nielsen Top 10 Streaming Rankings

I think they would get more success out of doing shows like this as bridges between big theatrical releases. I don't know how this would go on, but I could see the Falcon and Winter Soldier kind of going, or changing to be like mini-series, letting us see newer and different team ups. The only thing I could see being a regular thing is if they brought in an Agents of SHIELD like show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

That’s not a spoiler, that’s what Feige announced onstage at SDCC over a year and a half ago. Even if he hadn’t, S2 would have to be in active preproduction, if not filming, by now to debut before DS2, and we’d know if that were the case.

Oh yeah I just never know what the deal is so better safe than sorry :)

I'm also expecting a one-off because I'm not certain they can stretch the plot without sacrificing quality. It's a perfect bite sized MCU nugget IMO.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's more people wanted to be able to say I remember thing! for this last one instead of a deep interest in TV history. It felt like most people didn't get the Dick Van Dyke Show references even when it was blindingly obvious like Vision walking through an ottoman and only slightly more got the Bewitched stuff and that's mostly because husband has wife with magic powers is one of the key premises of this show too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd certainly not be shocked for Olsen and Bettany to be supporting roles in whatever Young Avengers project is definitely gonna be the Phase 4 capper. And there's possibly room for some some kind of Agents Of Atlas style thing with Woo and Rambeau if they really wanted. (Look, I just want Gorilla Man and M11 The Human Robot in the MCU, OK?)

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think it's more people wanted to be able to say I remember thing! for this last one instead of a deep interest in TV history. It felt like most people didn't get the Dick Van Dyke Show references even when it was blindingly obvious like Vision walking through an ottoman and only slightly more got the Bewitched stuff and that's mostly because husband has wife with magic powers is one of the key premises of this show too.

The DVD Show being missed by so many people bugged me, because Bettany and Olsen were doing fairly uncanny replications of DVD and MTM's performances. (Honestly, that exact plot of 'Laura plans a romantic/sexy dinner at home, but Rob invited Alan/their producer over, oh no!' must've been done on the show at some point, right?)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Honestly I think it sets a good precedent too. Not all tv has to be the ongoing season after season format. They can do a fixed length high quality story, and then just do another one in the universe if they want to print more money rather than having an ongoing series.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Yes, this has been stated to tie into both Dr. Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Technowolf posted:

Yes, this has been stated to tie into both Dr. Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3.

Has it? It’s a reasonable inference to make, and I know it’s been confirmed that both WV and SM3 lead into DS2, but I’m not sure how official the WV/SM3 connection is. I may have missed or be misremembering something, though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Barry Convex posted:

But I very much expect that this is a one-off. Maybe there could be a Scarlet Witch series post-DS2 that draws from the James Robinson run, idk, but that and Young Avengers are as close to an S2 as we’re likely to get.

Depending of what they have planned for Doctor Strange,( if Vision makes it, if Wanda is actually the good guy at the end of the day, etc.) they could totally make a season 2 of Wanda and Vision's spooky Lynchian adventures. I wouldn't mind if they change the sitcom trope, as long as they make something interesting.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Has it? It’s a reasonable inference to make, and I know it’s been confirmed that both WV and SM3 lead into DS2, but I’m not sure how official the WV/SM3 connection is. I may have missed or be misremembering something, though.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

swickles posted:

I think they would get more success out of doing shows like this as bridges between big theatrical releases. I don't know how this would go on, but I could see the Falcon and Winter Soldier kind of going, or changing to be like mini-series, letting us see newer and different team ups. The only thing I could see being a regular thing is if they brought in an Agents of SHIELD like show.

I suspect they'll do a blend where shows like WandaVision and Secret Invasion feel like one offs, but Ms. Marvel I could definitely see being an ongoing series, She Hulk too if they go hard into the law comedy case of the week stuff.