Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I know everyone shits on how the gang treats Bruno, but honestly, I'm on Holly's side on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 10, 1943)

That's my son down there, and he's about to get laid. Nice!
i'm absolutely in love with how pumped val's dad is just to be involved in one of his adventures

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i'm a teacher and this one is hitting pretty hard this year :smith:

LingcodKilla posted:

Man this was pretty boring compared to the racy one previous to this.

I don't get into the business related Mammilas so much, I get why they are part of the story and overall theme, but i really often skim or skip the ones taking place in offices

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

1. those EYES JESUS no one in this comic has scleras and it's really scary to suddenly have to imagine them

2. this is the second time recently that Batiuk has broken the 180 degree rule while having his characters in silhouette and idk why he feels this is cool or good

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

That panel of Modesty trying to explain things to an uncaring bureaucracy appeals to me - some problems you can't solve with a Kongo.

In other Modesty Blaise news, our friends over at the Daily Cartoonist recently linked to this blog from 2011:

http://cloud-109.blogspot.com/2011/05/modesty-forbids-prologue.html

which is a multi part series discussing changes in artists over the years. I know it's come up in previous threads, but this is nicely set out for anyone who was both interested and didn't know.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

curtadams posted:

This is a profound observation.

Yeah. I'm teaching a class on queer amlit this semester and one of the things students keep striking on is how intimate and intense queer friendships are in a lot of the texts. It's something that many of the queer students have really found refreshing to see in older literature, and it's something that's interesting for me to see develop over the generations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't like to wait.

Working Daze oh gently caress you.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix doesn't see what's so funny.

Cul De Sac thought it got preachy in the third season.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 16, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 15, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 3-5, 1936)

Today's installment of Toonerville Folks represents what the New Orleans paper published on March 4, 6 and 8, 1917. There was nothing between February 27th and March 4th, because apparently some editor thought that the inevitability of war was more important than the trolley that meets all the trains. So I blame the spotty coverage on military priorities.

The absence of ducks, however, I blame on technical difficulties. It's been a fun day for connectivity on this end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh good. So it's probably safe to assume that this isn't one of those comics that's obscure because half the characters are bizarre archaic racist stereotypes.

Well, not in the first week at least, but I can't promise anything beyond that.

The Shadow Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 2nd, 1940

Axa

You know, your standard features: 4-wheel drive, heater, ESP, cup holders...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dinky Dinkerton looks interesting so far. I'm up for more.

And yeesh, Axa, I know you wouldn't be Axa if you weren't all hung up on some pile of crud, but don't worry about Jason. He's definitely not worrying about you.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Homebodies - 1952

This is horrible. It's also photojournalism best practice.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 25, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 8, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 19, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 19, 1935)

Dark Laughter (October 11, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (July 6, 1947)

Those Were the Days (July 26, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 10, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 10, 1965)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (July 26, 1951)

Ok this is a good gag.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry:Home again, home again. Jiggity-jig, or I do not know if the Cochise mentioned here is supposed to be the actual Shi-ka-She, I mean it would make sense, he was a leader of the Chiricahuan Apaches which I've been basing my translation work off of, or Blueberry gets deprived of a hot meal

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 9-13, 1999)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

I saw this video series on Moomin posted in the Online Reviewer thread which I'm pretty sure is relevant to everyone's interests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAgFDASPII

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis does not tell a joke or a fact.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vargo posted:

Wallace

"jup bIpIv'a'" translates to "Are you good friends", according to translator.eu

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Club life in Moominvalley

And thus we start on the last of the stories I have.
(At least until I get to scanning vol 4-7. Ugh I need to see if I can borrow/rent a scanner from someone.
Or maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a cheap scanner. )

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/13/01

Brenda Starr 11/22-24/45

Smokey Stover 6/19-21/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPsuOEH1fY

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1952

This is gorgeous. I love the way Addams renders architecture. I'd love to have a framed print of this one.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (April 8, 1918)

The Trues where Everett and Mrs. True agree and work together on something are rare but also one of my favorite subsets of Trues.

I know this is low hanging fruit but god drat do I hate this stereotype of elementary school aged kids being on their phones all the time. 1) Who gave these fictional kids the loving phone and 2) I forget if these kids are supposed to be in third grade or in like fifth but kids IRl still love to run around and do goofy poo poo with each other, older ones might chill on their phones for a little bit but it's nowhere near the "MILLENNIALS UH... SMALL ONES BE GLUED TO THEIR SCREENS ALL THE TIME, AMIRIGHT FELLOW COOL BOOMER" monolith out of touch olds pretend to constantly see.

I know someone's gonna come in here and tell me they have a nephew or niece or whatever who is legit tech addicted and yeah I *have* seen individual instances of kids like that, but it's VERY far from the norm, and they usually have a hard time making friends (which is more of a chicken or egg situatoin- if you have a hard time socializing, yeah you're probably gonna prefer hobbies that don't require you to use social skills you don't have!)

This has been my Redundant Anger at Dustin Event of the day.

Vargo posted:

Curtis does not tell a joke or a fact.

Billinglsey knows how to pick me right back up again :unsmith:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Happy Valentine's Day ya big dumb apes

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

This is brilliant.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 14, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 14, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 14, 1989)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Happy Valentine's Day ya big dumb apes

drat, Sluggo's got game.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

sweeperbravo posted:

I know this is low hanging fruit but god drat do I hate this stereotype of elementary school aged kids being on their phones all the time. 1) Who gave these fictional kids the loving phone and 2) I forget if these kids are supposed to be in third grade or in like fifth but kids IRl still love to run around and do goofy poo poo with each other, older ones might chill on their phones for a little bit but it's nowhere near the "MILLENNIALS UH... SMALL ONES BE GLUED TO THEIR SCREENS ALL THE TIME, AMIRIGHT FELLOW COOL BOOMER" monolith out of touch olds pretend to constantly see.

I know someone's gonna come in here and tell me they have a nephew or niece or whatever who is legit tech addicted and yeah I *have* seen individual instances of kids like that, but it's VERY far from the norm, and they usually have a hard time making friends (which is more of a chicken or egg situatoin- if you have a hard time socializing, yeah you're probably gonna prefer hobbies that don't require you to use social skills you don't have!)

This has been my Redundant Anger at Dustin Event of the day.

Knowing the politics of the writer (and/or artist?), it comes across to me like a "some gizmo" straw man. The artist has probably never met a kid below the age of 16 and just assumes they all just gape at their phones all day.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 14, 2021

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Is that ice trick in Flying Jenny an actual thing? If so, why was it so prevalent that it was just common knowledge? Lots of torture needing to be done, I guess!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack Ugh, that's not how any of this works.

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Shermans Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"In 1921, Arthur D. Little, an MIT educated chemist, set out to prove that even the impossible can be accomplished with hard work and ingenuity. He followed these 7 steps to prove that it was, in fact, possible to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear:

First, he observed the silkworm producing silk, noting that the liquid emitted from the head of the silkworm changed once it mixed with air, becoming in viscosity something like glue.

Second, Little’s lab reduced 100 pounds of sow’s ears into 10 pounds of glue, which he then converted to gelatin by adding chrome alum and acetone.

Third, he exuded the mixture through a perforated spinneret.

Fourth, he soaked the brittle strands in a glycerin solution to soften them.

Fifth, he dried and dyed the fibers.

Sixth, he wove the cloth on a loom.

Seventh and finally, from the resulting cloth, Little fashioned two silk purses, one of which is on display at the Smithsonian Institute."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's not how Internet of Things hacks tend to go, holbrook.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

maltesh posted:

"jup bIpIv'a'" translates to "Are you good friends", according to translator.eu

I searched the phrase, and it looks like bIpIv'a' at least would be "How are you?"

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jun 29-30, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 21-24, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Mar 1, 2019)

(Mar 4, 2019)

(Mar 6, 2019)

(Mar 13, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Omg Connie get away from that Van

Where does she get these things anyway!?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I don't usually bother with Sunday Luann, but I decided to take a peek today and see what they're doing for Valentines day. This was a mistake that you all will now share in the consequences of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Bloop posted:

Omg Connie get away from that Van

Where does she get these things anyway!?
Heathcliff rents stuff to free up space.