Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Gonna ask one last time before I start ordering stuff. How does this look for 1080P 144hz gaming? The video card is a placeholder for now, I'm not certain I'll be getting the 5600 XT or just something similar. Waiting to find a good deal on reddit.
And regarding the RAM, I do a lot of music production so I think upgrading from 16gb to 32gb would be a welcome upgrade. I'm also a dumbass who for some reason wants RGB ram, and as far as I can tell its only $5-10 more.
Going from a 2016 razer blade to this so I can't wait to get it built, my laptop has really been lagging lately :toot: I haven't built a desktop in at LEAST 8 years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $804.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-12 14:25 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
CL16 non RGB ram is the same price as your RGB CL18 and has actual benefits! But you can probably spend an extra $10 to get both if so inclined. System looks good for 1080p high refresh rate otherwise.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Have:
Node 202
ASROCK b450 ITX
Corsair SF450w PSU
2200g
Noctua l9i
1650super
16g 3200 ram
Sabrent 1TB NVME 2280
42" LG 1080p 60hz tv
also: Quest 2 via remote desktop

My immediate want is for HL:Alyx and Squadrons to run better in higher settings, for Cyberpunk to play better at higher detail.

The 2200g and 1650 super i bought early 2020, as it's been a long time since I played any pc games and really just wanted to play Tekken at the time. Since I got the Quest I am VR crazy want to play full quality VR games maxed out and this hardware isn't cutting it (it wasn't bought to).

I am thinking 5600x and 3060ti but of course they barely exist. I could probably also stomach a 6700 XT if it is ever released, and maybe then I could skate by on my 450w PSU? Money isn't really an object except in the sense that I don't want to flush it when I don't have to. I'm generally patient but I've definitely been looking at a 3700x which would only be a small premium over the MSRP of the 5600x. Just because it's available :(

Nichol fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 12, 2021

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

zeldadude posted:

Gonna ask one last time before I start ordering stuff. How does this look for 1080P 144hz gaming? The video card is a placeholder for now, I'm not certain I'll be getting the 5600 XT or just something similar. Waiting to find a good deal on reddit.
And regarding the RAM, I do a lot of music production so I think upgrading from 16gb to 32gb would be a welcome upgrade. I'm also a dumbass who for some reason wants RGB ram, and as far as I can tell its only $5-10 more.
Going from a 2016 razer blade to this so I can't wait to get it built, my laptop has really been lagging lately :toot: I haven't built a desktop in at LEAST 8 years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $804.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-12 14:25 EST-0500

I would spend a bit more to get a B550 mobo and give yourself better expandability in the future if you wanted to go to Zen3. The 450 chipset supports it too, but B550 is more current

And yeah CL16 RAM

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Finally got around to parting this out. I'm extremely out of the loop when it comes to PC components and don't have a great idea on what the best price/performance specs are for things like RAM. I'm in the US and this system is going to be used almost entirely for gaming at 1440p and/or high refresh rate once I get a new monitor.

I think I did well with the speed and CL on the RAM. Everyone keeps telling me you still don't need more than 16GB and it took everything to not go more overbudget and get 32GB. Is that really still true? Is the stock cooler for the 5600X okay or should I get something better? I'm also not entirely sure on the fan situation with the Meshify 2 but that's probably mostly me being overwhelmed by case selection.

Of this stuff below I'm really unsure about the CPU cooler and RAM. PSU to an extent as well.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $316.94)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($86.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For $529.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1503.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-13 01:42 EST-0500

Some additional info: I'm going to be bringing at least 1 SSD and 1 HDD from my current PC to this new one.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sankis posted:

I think I did well with the speed and CL on the RAM. Everyone keeps telling me you still don't need more than 16GB and it took everything to not go more overbudget and get 32GB. Is that really still true? Is the stock cooler for the 5600X okay or should I get something better?

16gb is just fine, and adding more later if needed/desired is relatively trivial.

Stock cooler is also just fine, if kinda loud. Again, not a huge deal to swap out later as budget permits if it annoys you or you want to mess with overclocking.

Rest of the build looks solid.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Out of interest, when did the thread start to recommend AMD CPUs over intel?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Since I first started scouting for recommendations in early summer last year the Ryzen 3600 was the standard recommendation for most people, except people who needed a higher core count for their workload or whatever. The 10900 was still the fastest CPU on paper at that point but was generally discouraged because of the increased power and cooling needs, along with very little/no benefit for people who wanted the best 'gaming' system where 4k isn't bottlenecked by the CPU at all. People would still go for it because number big though, although I get the impression SA goons are a bit more discerning and value conscious than somewhere like reddit where they absolutely must have the most expensive and 'fastest' components no matter the lack of tangible benefit or value. (This could be total bullshit, I don't post or go to reddit much, it's just the impression I get)

Then with Zen 3 there's really no price point where Intel offers better value or performance anymore. Supply is the only issue.

Sankis posted:

Finally got around to parting this out. I'm extremely out of the loop when it comes to PC components and don't have a great idea on what the best price/performance specs are for things like RAM. I'm in the US and this system is going to be used almost entirely for gaming at 1440p and/or high refresh rate once I get a new monitor.

I think I did well with the speed and CL on the RAM. Everyone keeps telling me you still don't need more than 16GB and it took everything to not go more overbudget and get 32GB. Is that really still true? Is the stock cooler for the 5600X okay or should I get something better? I'm also not entirely sure on the fan situation with the Meshify 2 but that's probably mostly me being overwhelmed by case selection.

Of this stuff below I'm really unsure about the CPU cooler and RAM. PSU to an extent as well.

Overall it looks like a solid general choice of components, although I'd make a couple of points.

You don't need 32GB RAM right now for gaming, as only one game in existence exists to take advantage of anything more than 16GB (MS flight sim). I've said in the past that it's cheap enough that going for 32GB isn't the worst way to spend some extra money on your build, although RAM seems to have been creeping up in price lately such that I'm not sure that's good advice anymore. I got 32GB of decent RAM on sale for €100 which was an easy buy, but especially in your situation, I think there's a few areas you could spend an extra hundred bucks and see a lot more tangible benefits to your system. I would definitely get a CPU cooler of some description. You've got the Arctic Freezer 34 as a budget option around $30-40 depending on if you go for the single or dual fan config, then for ~$50 you've got the Scythe Mugen 5, the Fuma 2 for $55ish and the Noctua NH-U12S at $60.

I would also not bother buying a new HDD in TYOOL 2021 unless you absolutely positively need that extra space, especially as you said you'll be bringing forward some older storage anyway. Could you lose the new 2TB drive and upgrade to a 2TB SN550 instead?

Looks like the Meshify 2 comes with 3 140mm fans anyway which honestly looks fine in that case, assuming a decent CPU cooler too.

750W is plenty for a 5600x and 3070 build, however that specific PSU has a 2 star average rating and terrible reviews on newegg with a lot of people talking about it being DOA. Gigabyte aren't known for their PSUs, I'd spend a bit more and get the equivalent from EVGA or Corsair.

Finally, your case has a front USB C port but your motherboard doesn't have the header for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From only outside watching, Ryzen was the game changer for AMD. They fixed their power draw problems that the FX series had (always said to be faster than Intel and cheaper initially, but more expensive in the long run). I remember there being some caution about going all in on recommending the 1st gen Ryzens but once the 2nd gen hit I saw everyone kinda accept that it was for real.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Since I first started scouting for recommendations in early summer last year the Ryzen 3600 was the standard recommendation for most people, except people who needed a higher core count for their workload or whatever. The 10900 was still the fastest CPU on paper at that point but was generally discouraged because of the increased power and cooling needs, along with very little/no benefit for people who wanted the best 'gaming' system where 4k isn't bottlenecked by the CPU at all. People would still go for it because number big though, although I get the impression SA goons are a bit more discerning and value conscious than somewhere like reddit where they absolutely must have the most expensive and 'fastest' components no matter the lack of tangible benefit or value. (This could be total bullshit, I don't post or go to reddit much, it's just the impression I get)

Then with Zen 3 there's really no price point where Intel offers better value or performance anymore. Supply is the only issue.

Overall it looks like a solid general choice of components, although I'd make a couple of points.

You don't need 32GB RAM right now for gaming, as only one game in existence exists to take advantage of anything more than 16GB (MS flight sim). I've said in the past that it's cheap enough that going for 32GB isn't the worst way to spend some extra money on your build, although RAM seems to have been creeping up in price lately such that I'm not sure that's good advice anymore. I got 32GB of decent RAM on sale for €100 which was an easy buy, but especially in your situation, I think there's a few areas you could spend an extra hundred bucks and see a lot more tangible benefits to your system. I would definitely get a CPU cooler of some description. You've got the Arctic Freezer 34 as a budget option around $30-40 depending on if you go for the single or dual fan config, then for ~$50 you've got the Scythe Mugen 5, the Fuma 2 for $55ish and the Noctua NH-U12S at $60.

I would also not bother buying a new HDD in TYOOL 2021 unless you absolutely positively need that extra space, especially as you said you'll be bringing forward some older storage anyway. Could you lose the new 2TB drive and upgrade to a 2TB SN550 instead?

Looks like the Meshify 2 comes with 3 140mm fans anyway which honestly looks fine in that case, assuming a decent CPU cooler too.

750W is plenty for a 5600x and 3070 build, however that specific PSU has a 2 star average rating and terrible reviews on newegg with a lot of people talking about it being DOA. Gigabyte aren't known for their PSUs, I'd spend a bit more and get the equivalent from EVGA or Corsair.

Finally, your case has a front USB C port but your motherboard doesn't have the header for it.

Thank you so much for the advice.

I'm still waffling on the idea of going 2TB nvme SSD (+$100 is a bit much) but you are right about one thing: I absolutely don't need any more HDDs. Worst case scenario I can take another of my HDDs from my old PC to the new build if I think I'll need the space. That or I can just stop installing games and not playing them. Truly an impossible situation.

I know back in... 2012 or so when SSDs were just starting to pick up steam as a consumer product you basically never wanted to buy anything that wasn't from a big brand like Samsung, Intel, etc. Is that still the case? I'm curious because I found this 2TB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896SKCDY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 for $30 less than the WD 2tb. It looks to have good reviews too. Either way, I'm still undecided on this particular upgrade yet.

Reviews on the PCPartpicker site for that PSU were good so I'd never have considered checking Newegg. Thanks for that. I went and found a corsair that seems well reviewed across multiple sites.

Noctua's color scheme is... interesting. I honestly can't tell if I hate it or love it. That said, I think the ARTIC Freezer 34 is more in line with what I want right now. Something better than stock but not necessarily something for overclocking.

I read through the spec sheet and I thiiiink my new mobo has a header for USB C on the front panel but honestly I can't be sure because USB's naming scheme has been maybe the most confusing part of all of this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $316.94)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For $529.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.14 @ Amazon)
Total: $1526.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-13 09:22 EST-0500

Edit: Looking at it all laid out like that... assuming I'm good with what I've picked I probably will go with a 2TB SSD. This has come out remarkably close to what I had soft budgeted.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 13, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Sankis posted:

I read through the spec sheet and I thiiiink my new mobo has a header for USB C on the front panel but honestly I can't be sure because USB's naming scheme has been maybe the most confusing part of all of this.

Actually I was full of poo poo and the original pick did have a USB C front header, so sorry about that. You can go back to the old board and save yourself a little bit. ADATA is not a bad storage manufacturer. It's a little slower than the WD SN550, but not by any degree you'd be likely to notice, so it's not a bad place to trim the budget.

Status_Surge
Sep 9, 2009

I need ya, Surge. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.
hey y'all i'm looking to build a cheap gaming rig for my friend for around $600. since i have a bad habit of being terrible at making logical decisions for picking pc parts i figured i'd see if anyone here could help out. he mainly wants to play dark souls, halo masterchief collection, and runescape on it for the moment. any help would be awesome!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Actually I was full of poo poo and the original pick did have a USB C front header, so sorry about that. You can go back to the old board and save yourself a little bit. ADATA is not a bad storage manufacturer. It's a little slower than the WD SN550, but not by any degree you'd be likely to notice, so it's not a bad place to trim the budget.

What header is the USB C one? I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of it so i just sorted by mobos that had all of them.

edit: except usb 3.2 2x2, which seems super duper new and also maybe the worst possible name

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sankis posted:

I know back in... 2012 or so when SSDs were just starting to pick up steam as a consumer product you basically never wanted to buy anything that wasn't from a big brand like Samsung, Intel, etc. Is that still the case? I'm curious because I found this 2TB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896SKCDY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 for $30 less than the WD 2tb. It looks to have good reviews too. Either way, I'm still undecided on this particular upgrade yet.

I'm of the opinion that you don't take risks with your storage, and people who follow SSDs seem to still be of the opinion that if it's not WD, Crucial or Samsung it's not worth the risk. Also the SSD you linked isn't cheaper than the WD one right now, it's actually $15 more expensive.

Then for me there's still the sticking point with 2TB NVMe drives that they're still more than double the price of 1TB ones.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah, ADATA is a storage manufacturer of note, though I don't know anything about that drive specifically. They're all using nand and controllers produced by a third party anyways.

As someone who went the HDD for games route, I concur on going all SSD, the load time difference becomes very annoying very quickly.

I also agree with the recommendation to put a better PSU in what is a high end build; something with a 7 or 10 year warranty.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thats a decent drive, for $20 more I'd probably just get the Crucial p2 but it's totally adequate for almost all needs & performs pretty well.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
For your general, basic 5600x + 3080 system, should an EVGA gold 750w power supply be sufficient, or is it safer to go 850?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sankis posted:

What header is the USB C one? I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of it so i just sorted by mobos that had all of them.

edit: except usb 3.2 2x2, which seems super duper new and also maybe the worst possible name

Yeah that original mobo definitely has a USB 3 and C header. I know because I built machine with it on Wednesday 😎

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Some Goon posted:

Nah, ADATA is a storage manufacturer of note, though I don't know anything about that drive specifically. They're all using nand and controllers produced by a third party anyways.

As someone who went the HDD for games route, I concur on going all SSD, the load time difference becomes very annoying very quickly.

I also agree with the recommendation to put a better PSU in what is a high end build; something with a 7 or 10 year warranty.

The latest psu i linked says it includes a 10 year limited warranty. Is that what you mean or is there something better than that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sankis posted:

The latest psu i linked says it includes a 10 year limited warranty. Is that what you mean or is there something better than that?

Didn't see the update, that's the kind of one I'm talking about.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Siroc posted:

For your general, basic 5600x + 3080 system, should an EVGA gold 750w power supply be sufficient, or is it safer to go 850?

I am building (waiting for shipping) a grossly overpriced and overpowered monster rig right now with a 3080 + 5600x and when I posted my original list with a platinum 850 PSU they bumped me down to a 750 gold. I took that to mean my thinking about "needing" an 850 were wrong.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Siroc posted:

A 750W should be plenty. The 3080 needs some juice, but a good PSU should not struggle to keep up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It will usually flip every 5-7 years, but Intel did hold on a little longer than normal on the last round. Ryzen, especially the 3600, was the big performance changer. Intel still held onto the overall performance title for a long time, but Zen3 changed that. Looks like even Intel's newest launch will be beaten by the 5950X, so AMD is having their moment for the decade.

If you're like me and only build every 5-10 years: you'll change CPU vendors pretty much every build.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
First boot-up successful, and (old-time Home Improvement grunting noises)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Siroc posted:

Totally fine. I'm running the same with a 600W PSU. I would have gone 750W but I needed an SFX PSU and the 750s were out of stock for the foreseeable future. My power draw was calculated as ~474W on PCPP and with mild undervolts it's more like 400W.

Sankis posted:

I go into one of the seller pages to check the I/O, where it's usually listed more obviously in the specs, or you can at least get a better look at the motherboard itself to see what's on it.

The header looks like this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there an adapter that will adapt the front panel USB 3.0 cable to a USB-C header? My case doesn't have USB-C slots but I'd like to swap the big ugly 3.0 cable for something smaller that's in an easier-to-hide spot.

Edit: Aha! I think?

https://www.amazon.com/zdyCGTime-Fr...083S6WLHV&psc=1

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 13, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Like a month ago we spent like a whole page making fun of a dude who spent like $5k on his build.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Need some help finalizing a build for someone else, I got lucky with the critical parts and just need help with the rest.

These parts I already have:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC Video Card ($1149.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)

I made this list from observations and some of it is probably overkill.
I'm pretty flexible and would like to stay under $1000. My goal is: 1440p gaming, to have a quiet cpu, and all the parts be compatible and fit in the case that we have. The second drive was mostly for additional storage. The nearest PC store is a 3 hr drive so I want to make sure I order everything I need and not have to buy spare parts if needed due to issues.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Corsair)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1 g Thermal Paste ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($209.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $2287.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-13 16:17 EST-0500

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 13, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Bin the extra HDD and don't bother with the pointless expense of a PCIe 4.0 NVMe right now, get a 2TB SN550 instead.

Don't spend $200 on an 850W platinum PSU when a gold 650W would be more than enough for your components.

Don't get an X570 mobo, it's another pointless expense unless you can specify exactly what you'd gain over the B550 chipset.

Finally don't buy a fuckoff huge 360mm water cooler for the 5600x, it's absurd overkill and with the pump noise actually louder than better and cheaper air cooler options. You can spend around a third of the price to get an excellent and quiet cooler for the 5600x in the Scythe Fuma 2, or the NH-U12A or NH-D15 if you want to spend the better part of $100.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ryzen started becoming really attractive in like summer/fall 2018 when Zen+ parts started selling at deep discounts making them a vastly better value proposition than Intel.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Fallom posted:

Is there an adapter that will adapt the front panel USB 3.0 cable to a USB-C header? My case doesn't have USB-C slots but I'd like to swap the big ugly 3.0 cable for something smaller that's in an easier-to-hide spot.

Edit: Aha! I think?

https://www.amazon.com/zdyCGTime-Fr...083S6WLHV&psc=1

I’ve run into the same thing since swapping my MB from an Asrock that came with a pre-built to an MSI 550 mortar wifi... was eyeing that same cable but debating whether to go with it or try and find a way to run a cable form each port to usb connections on the MB...

If anyone has guidance on which cable to use to do that — run from 2 x USB A on the case front to a connection(s) on the mobo (not the header connector, unless that linked one would do both which I don’t believe that’s the case) I would certainly appreciate it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MaxxBot posted:

Ryzen started becoming really attractive in like summer/fall 2018 when Zen+ parts started selling at deep discounts making them a vastly better value proposition than Intel.

It feels like forever, but fish, yeah, it's only actually two and a bit years. Wow.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The front of my tower is clean AF but jesus weeps at the rear panel. I got a super tower to have excess room and yet I'm running out of room. So many cables placed in a literal pile and I'm not even finished yet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It will usually flip every 5-7 years, but Intel did hold on a little longer than normal on the last round. Ryzen, especially the 3600, was the big performance changer. Intel still held onto the overall performance title for a long time, but Zen3 changed that. Looks like even Intel's newest launch will be beaten by the 5950X, so AMD is having their moment for the decade.

If you're like me and only build every 5-10 years: you'll change CPU vendors pretty much every build.

My previous builds were 2012 and 2013 (mine and my dad's respectively). I thought Intel was the default choice since around 2007 and the Core 2 Duo days?

Ak Gara posted:

The front of my tower is clean AF but jesus weeps at the rear panel. I got a super tower to have excess room and yet I'm running out of room. So many cables placed in a literal pile and I'm not even finished yet.

How many components do you have inside the case?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Bin the extra HDD and don't bother with the pointless expense of a PCIe 4.0 NVMe right now, get a 2TB SN550 instead.

Don't spend $200 on an 850W platinum PSU when a gold 650W would be more than enough for your components.

Don't get an X570 mobo, it's another pointless expense unless you can specify exactly what you'd gain over the B550 chipset.

Finally don't buy a fuckoff huge 360mm water cooler for the 5600x, it's absurd overkill and with the pump noise actually louder than better and cheaper air cooler options. You can spend around a third of the price to get an excellent and quiet cooler for the 5600x in the Scythe Fuma 2, or the NH-U12A or NH-D15 if you want to spend the better part of $100.

Thanks, switched to the Fuma 2, and the 2TB SN550, and going to read up on a mobo/psu option now.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My previous builds were 2012 and 2013 (mine and my dad's respectively). I thought Intel was the default choice since around 2007 and the Core 2 Duo days?

How many components do you have inside the case?

3 Farbwerk 360's, an internal USB splitter, a 9 way fan splitter, an Aquaero 6, 2 pumps, as well as cables for a flow sensor, 2 water temperature sensors, 2 air temperature sensors, 7 fans, 7 drgb led fan covers, drgb CPU block, and 4 drgb led strips.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have this mobo https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/ with a 3 pin Aura Addressable Gen 2 header and 2x RGB headers. I have a fan that has a connector that looks like one of these

Is it supposed to connect to the 3 pin ARGB on the mobo or something else? It says connect to header on motherboard but it doesn't look right and google gives me a lot of people trying to plug into 4 pin which isn't what I am trying to do.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

3 Farbwerk 360's, an internal USB splitter, a 9 way fan splitter, an Aquaero 6, 2 pumps, as well as cables for a flow sensor, 2 water temperature sensors, 2 air temperature sensors, 7 fans, 7 drgb led fan covers, drgb CPU block, and 4 drgb led strips.

Holy gently caress. Good luck with that!

Hepatitis C
Jul 2, 2004

Jackpot! Don't wake up. Don't wake up. Don't wake up!!!
  • What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office, Gaming
  • What's your budget? about 800 but including a monitor
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? probably 1080p probably 144hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $645.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-13 21:03 EST-0500

This is what I came up with skimming this thread. Hopefully it makes sense. Though I've seen 10600kfs for $175 at Staples from trays/unboxed and wasn't sure if that price changed the math for thread recommendation over the 3600. It'd be about the same build for the intel.

Using an old i5 750 system I put the 1050 and psu I bought Jan 2018 which I'm thinking of reusing, though I was thinking of getting a new gpu like the RTX 3060 at some point down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hepatitis C posted:

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office, Gaming
  • What's your budget? about 800 but including a monitor
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? probably 1080p probably 144hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $645.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-13 21:03 EST-0500

This is what I came up with skimming this thread. Hopefully it makes sense. Though I've seen 10600kfs for $175 at Staples from trays/unboxed and wasn't sure if that price changed the math for thread recommendation over the 3600. It'd be about the same build for the intel.

Using an old i5 750 system I put the 1050 and psu I bought Jan 2018 which I'm thinking of reusing, though I was thinking of getting a new gpu like the RTX 3060 at some point down the road.

1080p 144hz is going to be a struggle with that build. 3600 is good but the 1050ti ain’t gonna cut it most likely for anything recent.