Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yda (1999)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Help Im playing this game on a brand new character, why am I doing this. How do I stop myself from doing this

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Tataru Trust as a hardmode modifier. She just spends the entire dungeon screaming at her carbuncle to actually do something.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Twibbit posted:

Tataru Trust as a hardmode modifier. She just spends the entire dungeon screaming at her carbuncle to actually do something.

Normal levelling roulette dungeon then?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A Moose posted:

Welp, spent an hour or so in boza, tried to get a castrum run, but 15 people showed up, someone pulled the first boss and everyone left. What's the discord that's doing free Castrum carries?

Apparently there hasn't been a successful castrum run on Crystal in weeks or something? Its getting REALLY bad, they need to hotfix that into a solo duty

Why would the resolution be a drastic reengineering of content to make it solo, rather than tweak the rewards a bit to get people running it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love doing a Tamtara run and casting a healing spell one (1) time. SCH rules.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Why is buying a house such a pain in the rear end? It's already hard enough IRL.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I love doing a Tamtara run and casting a healing spell one (1) time. SCH rules.

SCH is a pretty good dungeon healer, simply because of all the oGCD tools it gets to heal while also still dealing damage.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Why would the resolution be a drastic reengineering of content to make it solo, rather than tweak the rewards a bit to get people running it?

Because that's the only way anyone on Crystal is going to finish it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
As a first time healer, I am feeling way more stress and anxiety during dungeons than I have with any other class. Earlier today during a dungeon roulette, my entire party started taking heavy damage and I pretty much panicked and lost focus on keeping everyone healed. I'm still fairly early in levels (35 so far), and I'll stick with it a bit longer, but healing just may not be for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The content is fine as it is. More rewards is always welcome though.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

BisterdDave posted:

As a first time healer, I am feeling way more stress and anxiety during dungeons than I have with any other class. Earlier today during a dungeon roulette, my entire party started taking heavy damage and I pretty much panicked and lost focus on keeping everyone healed. I'm still fairly early in levels (35 so far), and I'll stick with it a bit longer, but healing just may not be for me.

that anxiety will probably evaporate the first time you actually let your party wipe and then everyone just safely respawns 20 feet away and the worst you get in party chat is someone going "lol we got wrecked", think of it like how scary a horror game is right until the first time you die and then it's no big deal

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zeruel posted:

Why is buying a house such a pain in the rear end? It's already hard enough IRL.

compared to some houses I see, I am perfectly fine with an apartment that looks like a room decorated by a horder with only the glamour box, music player, and cutscenes book accessible.

The only music you hear is the powerman 5000 music-esque going on repeat

If I had a house it would be basically the same and would piss people off when they walk inside!

drat I want one now just to raise other player's cockles.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BisterdDave posted:

just install a dps meter and then you can have anxiety on other classes too!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

BisterdDave posted:

I had that problem for a while, and it just takes practice to get past it. Getting more confident in your ability to keep people up, knowing what your tools are, getting a feel for when you need to start throwing out everything you have or if you just need to toss out some regen and get back to DPSing. It will all come with time, and along the way you're going to be anxious when you have dumb tanks and/or DPS who stand in AOEs all the time.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

compared to some houses I see, I am perfectly fine with an apartment that looks like a room decorated by a horder with only the glamour box, music player, and cutscenes book accessible.

The only music you hear is the powerman 5000 music-esque going on repeat

If I had a house it would be basically the same and would piss people off when they walk inside!

drat I want one now just to raise other player's cockles.

I just want a garden :saddowns:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Consummate Professional posted:

Wow, I finally hit the end of the MSQ. Now to figure out what I want to tackle next. This game is so drat fun.

I think I'm almost right where you are, G'raha is young boy again and the character with the most punchable face is back as an ascian now. And I'm also wondering why no one (read Y'shtola or Urianger) is asking the hard questions like are we just Heidi's tempered so I've got a little bit to go.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Help Im playing this game on a brand new character, why am I doing this. How do I stop myself from doing this

Oh no not you too

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

BisterdDave posted:

Just keep at it and you too will become a jaded healer, seething as you watch people not even trying to dodge telegraphed mechanics.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Zeruel posted:

Based on the last informal player census there are over 900 thousand active players in the game right now. A single ward is 30 plots of land. The supply is so low, and demand so high, that even when XIV devs do some heroic backend adjustments to server structure to give everyone an extra 3-4 plots in every region the result is still, to quote the late great Terry Pratchett, a bit like the ocean warming itself around a candle when the horde of homeless players descend on those wards for one of the precious slots.

This state of affairs will continue as long as the devs maintain this stubborn insistence in maintaining these discrete neighbourhoods where people can move around and look at other player's houses in these full areas hosted by the server. It just doesn't work in a game the size of XIV anymore, and since the devs have given no indication whatsoever that they'll change strategies (see the latest announcement of Ishgard housing using wards, which will all vanish exactly as fast as every other housing expansion) it will remain a pain in the rear end forever.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the neighborhoods are cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They are but I wouldn't mind if my house were instanced off into its own zone if it meant more people could have houses too.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Xarbala posted:

They are but I wouldn't mind if my house were instanced off into its own zone if it meant more people could have houses too.

Hopefully thats what the Slow life thing is.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

BisterdDave posted:

are you whm and was it brayflox? cuz i am learning healing via whm, and i'm in the mid 60s now but i cringe everytime i get brayflox because it's just awful at that level, no regen, no medica ii, mp regen sucks rear end.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think housing could even feasibly be all put into a singular instanced zone. Aren't even things like the innroom actually a single place that you just can't see other people in? Or was that misinformation.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

RME posted:

the neighborhoods are cool

I mean yeah don't get me wrong the neighbourhoods are cool and I love living in mine but they are a relic of a game that wasn't nearly as popular as it currently is and the relative numbers here just diminish the experience for so many people. They've kind of tried to address this with the big apartment buildings but it doesn't work because people know the difference between a room to decorate and an actual house.

When I got my large mansion in Mist it was right after personal housing had been implemented; I didn't have the money to buy it right away so I let the plot sit, for about two weeks, so that the price would go down to become affordable. That kind of situation was expected with how housing was initially designed and it's a different goddamn planet from the current state of the game and the game's housing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

And I'm also wondering why no one (read Y'shtola or Urianger) is asking the hard questions like are we just Heidi's tempered so I've got a little bit to go.

So here's an approach I never see anyone take about this part. Y'shtola and Urianger rarely, if ever, miss a clue, especially between them. Far as the story goes, they're basically the smartest people in the room at any point, and their judgements can be trusted.

If they never even entertain the theory that you're tempered by Hydaelyn, you probably aren't.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Gnossiennes posted:

are you whm and was it brayflox? cuz i am learning healing via whm, and i'm in the mid 60s now but i cringe everytime i get brayflox because it's just awful at that level, no regen, no medica ii, mp regen sucks rear end.

Yes I'm WHM, now at least. I was having some trouble during Halatali as a SCH, since all the fire adds weren't being dealt with, and were causing continuous harm to everyone. Unfortunately, I didn't have any MP regen either, so it got hectic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Re the theory:

We know that Tempering now basically represents a person's soul being so hugely shifted to a specific aether and that is what allows for the primal to control it. Presumably that is something Y'shtola would notice with aethersight much how she noticed the WoL was blazing with light aether.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Based on the last informal player census there are over 900 thousand active players in the game right now. A single ward is 30 plots of land. The supply is so low, and demand so high, that even when XIV devs do some heroic backend adjustments to server structure to give everyone an extra 3-4 plots in every region the result is still, to quote the late great Terry Pratchett, a bit like the ocean warming itself around a candle when the horde of homeless players descend on those wards for one of the precious slots.

This state of affairs will continue as long as the devs maintain this stubborn insistence in maintaining these discrete neighbourhoods where people can move around and look at other player's houses in these full areas hosted by the server. It just doesn't work in a game the size of XIV anymore, and since the devs have given no indication whatsoever that they'll change strategies (see the latest announcement of Ishgard housing using wards, which will all vanish exactly as fast as every other housing expansion) it will remain a pain in the rear end forever.

I mean, isn't animal crossing island meant to take the pressure off for people that wanna chill with a garden and wild animals?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Re the theory:

We know that Tempering now basically represents a person's soul being so hugely shifted to a specific aether and that is what allows for the primal to control it. Presumably that is something Y'shtola would notice with aethersight much how she noticed the WoL was blazing with light aether.

Yeah.

I suspect this is what Emet actually meant when he said the Ascians were tempered by Zodiark. They're just really dark-aspected, to the point where being on the First was just generally unpleasant for him.

Loure
Jan 1, 2021
I wish party finder wasn't so terrible, and that my schedule wasn't so unstable.

Thinking of parting ways with my current savage tier static because the lack of structure and the lack of respect for people's time is just not there.
It's very sad. And I am very sad. Cuz I will probably end up quitting the tier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meiteron posted:

They ought to increase the number of people you can share a house with.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic posted:

So here's an approach I never see anyone take about this part. Y'shtola and Urianger rarely, if ever, miss a clue, especially between them. Far as the story goes, they're basically the smartest people in the room at any point, and their judgements can be trusted.

If they never even entertain the theory that you're tempered by Hydaelyn, you probably aren't.

Hey, point, gotta admit!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

They ought to increase the number of people you can share a house with.

Isn't that basically what a FC is for?

Meiteron posted:

The issue here is that it isn't stubborn insistence. Having an established housing ward where you can decorate and see your neighbors is a genuinely important part of the feel of housing wards. If they tried to remove that people would rightly be furious about it. Especially like RP groups who would suddenly have one of their main RP avenues shut down. There isn't an easy solution here but you can bet that people would be furious at having housing gutted like that.

One thing they mentioned before is potentially increasing the size of apartments or allowing M/L size apartments too and that could at least help alleviate the pain. Apartments are usually plentiful on any server, people just don't like them because they are so small and because you can't decorate them as part of a ward. The former can hopefully be fixed but the latter kinda shows why removing wards entirely would be a problem.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 14, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Xarbala posted:

Yeah.

I suspect this is what Emet actually meant when he said the Ascians were tempered by Zodiark. They're just really dark-aspected, to the point where being on the First was just generally unpleasant for him.

But Emet follows that up with “we’re tempered so of course we’d slavishly devote eons to reviving Zodiark” so matter of fact-esque. But on the other hand, the WoL’s goals seem to coincide with Crystal Mom’s, but we’re not really devoted to her in the same sense. Now that I think about it, she’s never really told us what she stands to gain from all of this besides “you must defeat the dark ones (and I want to live so please save me too)”

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Just keep at it and you too will become a jaded healer, seething as you watch people not even trying to dodge telegraphed mechanics.
To go even beyond you have to realize that "you only need 1 hp" applies to everyone, I stand in aoe all the time to cast holy because that's damage that's just getting soaked up by assize/asylum and/or the time spent running between pulls.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

But Emet follows that up with “we’re tempered so of course we’d slavishly devote eons to reviving Zodiark” so matter of fact-esque. But on the other hand, the WoL’s goals seem to coincide with Crystal Mom’s, but we’re not really devoted to her in the same sense. Now that I think about it, she’s never really told us what she stands to gain from all of this besides “you must defeat the dark ones (and I want to live so please save me too)”

I don't think she really gains anything. She's a Primal created to counter Zodiark, so what she wants to do is to stop the Ardor and keep the Ascians from awakening him. Which, uh. Mission accomplished I guess!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

blatman posted:

that anxiety will probably evaporate the first time you actually let your party wipe and then everyone just safely respawns 20 feet away and the worst you get in party chat is someone going "lol we got wrecked", think of it like how scary a horror game is right until the first time you die and then it's no big deal

I did Brayflox with AST, it was my first time doing a 30+ dungeon so my first time using cards. We get to the first boss and while I’m trying to watch the Draw cooldown and get the buttons straight and target the right DPS with my dpad, I let the tank die. Like straight up 100% my fault due to tunnel vision. Probably the biggest faux pas you can make as a healer.

No words were exchanged. I Swift-ressed them, we finish the boss and the rest of the dungeon without incident, though I do feel like they started pulling a bit smaller on purpose. If that’s the result of me committing a total gently caress-up, then I guess there really isn’t any need to be so stressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MechaX posted:

That's a good point, yeah.